Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Building block or JAG

CR91

So let's look at our 2014 and 2015 draft and you tell me if he's a building block or a JAG. I accept incomplete as well. For those that don't know, JAG means just another guy.

Mewhort

Moncrief

Dorsett

Anderson

Geathers

Parry

Good

Include any I missed

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mewhort: building block

Moncrief: building block

Dorsett: jury's still out unfortunately, though he's shown flashes

Anderson: I think building block, but I suspect that he wasn't truly 100% at any point last year

Geathers: definitely a building block, but health is already a major concern

Parry: still not sure how I feel about him, probably JAG

Good: very solid player for a 7th rounder, but is probably a better backup option than a starter

35 minutes ago, CR91 said:

So let's look at our 2014 and 2015 draft and you tell me if he's a building block or a JAG. I accept incomplete as well. For those that don't know, JAG means just another guy.

Mewhort

Moncrief

Dorsett

Anderson

Geathers

Parry

Good

Green

Include any I missed

Mewhort - Building Block. He's a stud, top 15ish guard in the league IMO. Just need another stud at RG

Moncrief - Building Block. He's had some injury issues, but assuming he's healthy I'm expecting a 1,000 plus, 8-12 TD year from Crief next season. He's shown he's got the potential to be a beast.

Dorsett - Incomplete. Has the talent, but has yet to do anything to show me he'll ever realize his potential.

Anderson - Building Block - Was looking like a boss in his rookie year, then got injured. Next year with almost 2 years removed from the injury he may come in and ball out, but he didn't look the same this season. Maybe that's from the injury. That would be my guess as I think he has the potential to be a very good DT.

Geathers - Building Block. I'm not sure. I think he could be a solid SS with better players around him, maybe even a pretty good SS. He could be our enforcer type. Coming down, laying ball carriers out, making big first down saving tackles, I think he has potential as a blitzer, etc...BUT we have to have a true coverage safety next to him. Right now he's not any good in coverage, maybe he can improve on it a little yeah, but lets see how he looks next season, but I think he could possibly be a pretty solid starting SS for us.

Parry - JAG. He's not good enough to be starting on a good, super bowl caliber defense. He's a rotational DT and nothing more.

Good - JAG - Backup OL IMO.

Green - Incomplete. The kid was a joke this season and it makes me sick we took him......BUT he does have a TON of raw talent. He could be a top 5 safety in the NFL, or out of the league here in a couple years.

Mewhort - BB 

Moncrief - BB but he needs to be healthy and polish his craft 

Dorsett - Jag and I love him but because of how he'll be used and the hierarchy at the position. Sad this literally our Gabriel/Hill/Percy

Anderson - Jag meaning if he can come back healthy he can have a long productive career but nothing special. I like him thOo 

Geathers - Jag, until we put him dwn en the box and let him play the Buccanon/Barron/Deion Jones SS/lb roll 

Parry - optimizes JAG matter fact send him to the Jags. He's a career backup. May be a great locker room guy but I perfer higher expectation. 

Good - JAG but he's young w potential so w/e let him grow

5 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Mewhort - Building Block. He's a stud, top 15ish guard in the league IMO. Just need another stud at RG

Moncrief - Building Block. He's had some injury issues, but assuming he's healthy I'm expecting a 1,000 plus, 8-12 TD year from Crief next season. He's shown he's got the potential to be a beast.

Dorsett - Incomplete. Has the talent, but has yet to do anything to show me he'll ever realize his potential.

Anderson - Building Block - Was looking like a boss in his rookie year, then got injured. Next year with almost 2 years removed from the injury he may come in and ball out, but he didn't look the same this season. Maybe that's from the injury. That would be my guess as I think he has the potential to be a very good DT.

Geathers - Incomplete. I'm not sure. I think he could be alright at SS with better players around him, maybe even a pretty good SS, but lets see how he looks next season.

Parry - JAG. He's not good enough to be starting on a good, super bowl caliber defense. He's a rotational DT and nothing more.

Good - JAG - Backup OL IMO.

Green - Incomplete. The kid was a joke this season and it makes me sick we took him......BUT he does have a TON of raw talent. He could be a top 5 safety in the NFL, or out of the league here in a couple years.

So Green being a possible top 5 safety with a ton of raw talent makes you sick? Yeah, right.

Just now, braveheartcolt said:

So him being a possible top 5 safety with a ton of raw talent makes you sick? Yeah, right.

Read the rest of it bro. He could also be out of the league in 3 years. He hasn't shown ANYTHING yet. He was the worst safety in the NFL. Yes I understand he's raw (as I said in my post) and he wasn't expected to contribute day 1, or even play much......BUT we could have taken a guy like Whitehair who was a safe pick, and came in and balled out week 1 on. He would have solidified out OL playing RG. And a handful of other guys who were on the board.

Just now, Majin Vegeta said:

Random but I think our new WR coach will really help Dorsett this season.

I just hope he can help the WRs concentration. That would cut the drops down pretty big IMO. And I don't just mean about Dorsett either, even TY has quite a few drops as great as he is. I think its a concentration issue. JMO.

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

I just hope he can help the WRs concentration. That would cut the drops down pretty big IMO. And I don't just mean about Dorsett either, even TY has quite a few drops as great as he is. I think its a concentration issue. JMO.

I agree, I think he will help them all. From what I've read from Watkins, he's just what we need. Will pound the techniques into them lol.

7 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Read the rest of it bro. He could also be out of the league in 3 years. He hasn't shown ANYTHING yet. He was the worst safety in the NFL. Yes I understand he's raw (as I said in my post) and he wasn't expected to contribute day 1, or even play much......BUT we could have taken a guy like Whitehair who was a safe pick, and came in and balled out week 1 on. He would have solidified out OL playing RG. And a handful of other guys who were on the board.

I read it all. Makes no sense. None. So if he does become a top 5 safety in the NFL, will you be unsick?

6 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Random but I think our new WR coach will really help Dorsett this season.

If he can teach dorsett to run routes like hilton, then watch out. Watkins did say he taught him how to run routes

10 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I agree, I think he will help them all. From what I've read from Watkins, he's just what we need. Will pound the techniques into them lol.

I hope so. It seems so easy: run good routes, catch the ball, run until someone tackles you. But there's definitely a lot more to it. I remember in the playoffs before the Seahawks played, ESPN did a special on Doug Baldwin, as he had his struggles with drops as well. I guess they brought in a sports psychologist and it helped him quite a bit.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18421861

I'd say all building blocks outside of Good and Parry. I like the chemistry Anderson and Parry had coming in during their rookie years, but I do think that the only reason Parry remained a starter was due to how well Anderson was playing next to him.

Good I believe will be a good backup, seeing as how he can play RG or RT. Strong, but a little fundamentally flawed. (Jon Harrison anyone?)

The rest, I believe are truly building blocks for this team. I think the jury is still out for dorsett, and he is a very controversial topic within our group of friends here. HOWEVER, he still has potential. And I don't think anyone here is wishing for him to do poorly. I really hope he can be our utility receiver. 

Please try and stay on topic, it is not a discussion as to whether he SHOULD have been chosen where he was chosen, but CAN he help the team? I think the answer is yes. 

25 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Moncrief is incomplete?  If he can stay healthy, he's a monster.

He definitely disappointed me this last season. If he did not have the production he had in the red zone this season, people would be calling for him to be traded. 

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

He definitely disappointed me this last season. If he did not have the production he had in the red zone this season, people would be calling for him to be traded. 

Nothing wrong with red zone production......not sure you can discount that to come to your overall perception...it is like saying TY disappointed if he did not have had all those yards.

1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

Nothing wrong with red zone production......not sure you can discount that to come to your overall perception...it is like saying TY disappointed if he did not have had all those yards.

I did not "discount" his red zone production. I stated that without that, he would be in the same boat as dorsett. 

Is that statement not true?

edit: Moncrief is one of my favorite players on the team as well. However, his production (Outside of the red zone) has been on the same par as dorsett. 

35 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

The whole point is that he did have that production.  If Luck didn't throw as many TDs, people would be unhappy with his play.  If Hilton didn't have so many yards, he wouldn't be as liked.  If Vinny didn't make all those field goals, people would say it's time for him to retire.  He has the talent and ability to have the production he displayed.  His only issue is staying healthy.

31 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I did not "discount" his red zone production. I stated that without that, he would be in the same boat as dorsett. 

Is that statement not true?

edit: Moncrief is one of my favorite players on the team as well. However, his production (Outside of the red zone) has been on the same par as dorsett. 

Never mind. 21isSuperman got my drift. No biggie.

2 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Mewhort: building block

Moncrief: building block

Dorsett: jury's still out unfortunately, though he's shown flashes

Anderson: I think building block, but I suspect that he wasn't truly 100% at any point last year

Geathers: definitely a building block, but health is already a major concern

Parry: still not sure how I feel about him, probably JAG

Good: very solid player for a 7th rounder, but is probably a better backup option than a starter

I agree with this list, I just hope Mewhort doesn't end up being a health concern.  He missed many games last season. 

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

Mewhort build block top 10 guard

Moncrief build block red zone need to play  big out of the red zone

Dorsett JAG though colts are not using properly

Anderson Build Block , nice piece to build dline around , elite run stopper when healthy , guy ith developing pass rush moves 

Geathers building block , improve significantly this year ,health is a concern though

Parry JAG, get push around to easily , not strong at the poa 

Good Incomplete guy has shown flashed here and there struggles picking stunts 

Include any I missed