Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY Ranked #9 No.2 WR for creating separation

ColtsFanMikeC

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000778754/article/desean-jackson-among-top10-no-2-wrs-in-separation?campaign=fb-nf-sf52581992-sf52581992

They rank him a #2 because he didn't meet or exceed 100 catches lined up out wide.

I noticed TY was lining up in the slot a lot this year, but until reading this I didn't realize just how much -- they say he's in the slot 37% of the time, wide left 32% of the time, and wide right 30% of the time. 

" Either way, Hilton was an excellent player this year. He averaged 2.6 yards of separation on his targets this year and it is worth noting that he was more effective at creating separation in the slot (2.75) than out wide (2.43). Despite his size, Hilton was more dominant at the catch point this year than any other in his career, winning 48.5 percent of his targets with less than a yard of separation. "

Hopefully our line continues to develop as well as Dorsett and Moncrief -- with the speed we have, if given time Andrew should have a lot of options.  TY and Dorsett, IMO, should both be able to do well mixing it up in the slot and out wide.

2 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

The person happiest with Chud's offense has to be TY. I think Chud's done a really good job of utilizing him. Same with our red zone targets in Dwayne and Moncrief.

I actually think Chud did a horrible job of over utilizing TY and underutilizing the rest of our weapons. Made us too TY reliant and limited the growth of our other receivers who needed the targets and touches earlier in the season to gain confidence.  Would have been nice to see more of those easy TY catches going to Dorsett & Rogers...  Chud sucks. 

TY is our #2, who is / was our #1? 

More important to me is  their Left WR and Right WR stats are somewhat worthless. (because the Tight End could line up on either side, too)  I want to know when he was the X ( furthest from the tight end and what we old(er) folks use to call the split end, and thus tethered on the LOS) and how often he was the Z, , or what us old folks use to call the Flanker  ( he's just out a bit wider out past the Tight End and off the LOS a yard or two) as well the times in the slot.

Not impressed with their data,  but impressed with TY's versatility.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Again, don't want to hear about how Hilton isn't a number 1 receiver anymore. He's top 5 IMO.

He had an excellent season but I have a very hard time saying he's a top 5 WR. He isn't better than Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham, Aj Green, or Mike Evans IMO. I do think he is in the top 10 but I would trade him for any of those 5 in a heartbeat. 

I also believe that Dorsett's best chance to excel is playing in the slot. Watching how the Steelers utilize Eli Rogers or how the packers utilize Randall Cobb makes me feel Dorsett would do really well in that role if given the opportunity.  We already know Hilton can play on the outside, but Dorsett has yet to show that he can get open consistently on the outside. If we want to maximize our WR productivity, Hilton and moncrief on the outside with Dorsett in the slot the majority of the time is the best option. Dorsett needs the ball in space on crossers and screens (with the occasional deep ball). His RAC ability is something that is being severely underutilized in our current offense. 

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

I actually think Chud did a horrible job of over utilizing TY and underutilizing the rest of our weapons. Made us too TY reliant and limited the growth of our other receivers who needed the targets and touches earlier in the season to gain confidence.  Would have been nice to see more of those easy TY catches going to Dorsett & Rogers...  Chud sucks. 

I don't think Chud's perfect but I think Chuck deserves some blame too.

We can go through OC's like Pep and Chud thinking they're the problem but at some point the overall HC's scheme should be considered.

I don't care if he's a #1 or a #2, 1400 yards is 1400 yards. He's our clear number one threat, NFL defenses treat him as a #1. I couldn't care less what the media and NFL.com calls the man. TY is gonna TY. TY is gonna ball out. And if he keeps this pace up for 5-8 more years he may very well find himself in Canton. 

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

K so they said TY wasn't a number 1 cause he didn't cross that '100 reception threshold'

Even though 7 guys that are number ones on that list didn't either.

k

It was targets out wide, not receptions. He didnt qualify under their definition of a #1 wr because he did too much out of the slot. 

3 hours ago, Qcolts said:

He had an excellent season but I have a very hard time saying he's a top 5 WR. He isn't better than Julio Jones, Antonio Brown, Odell Beckham, Aj Green, or Mike Evans IMO. I do think he is in the top 10 but I would trade him for any of those 5 in a heartbeat. 

I also believe that Dorsett's best chance to excel is playing in the slot. Watching how the Steelers utilize Eli Rogers or how the packers utilize Randall Cobb makes me feel Dorsett would do really well in that role if given the opportunity.  We already know Hilton can play on the outside, but Dorsett has yet to show that he can get open consistently on the outside. If we want to maximize our WR productivity, Hilton and moncrief on the outside with Dorsett in the slot the majority of the time is the best option. Dorsett needs the ball in space on crossers and screens (with the occasional deep ball). His RAC ability is something that is being severely underutilized in our current offense. 

Apart from JJ, who is a freak, he is at least as good as the others, if not better. I wouldn't take wonder boy, even for a 7th......

11 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000778754/article/desean-jackson-among-top10-no-2-wrs-in-separation?campaign=fb-nf-sf52581992-sf52581992

They rank him a #2 because he didn't meet or exceed 100 catches lined up out wide.

I noticed TY was lining up in the slot a lot this year, but until reading this I didn't realize just how much -- they say he's in the slot 37% of the time, wide left 32% of the time, and wide right 30% of the time. 

" Either way, Hilton was an excellent player this year. He averaged 2.6 yards of separation on his targets this year and it is worth noting that he was more effective at creating separation in the slot (2.75) than out wide (2.43). Despite his size, Hilton was more dominant at the catch point this year than any other in his career, winning 48.5 percent of his targets with less than a yard of separation. "

Hopefully our line continues to develop as well as Dorsett and Moncrief -- with the speed we have, if given time Andrew should have a lot of options.  TY and Dorsett, IMO, should both be able to do well mixing it up in the slot and out wide.

TY was in the slot 37% of the time?  Really? 

7 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I don't think Chud's perfect but I think Chuck deserves some blame too.

We can go through OC's like Pep and Chud thinking they're the problem but at some point the overall HC's scheme should be considered.

Yeah. Chuck sucks too. 

9 hours ago, Qcolts said:

My top 5 is Julio, Brown, Beckham, Evans, and Hilton in that order. I look at stats for WRs. Hilton is way more consistent than Green. Green has never lead the league in receiving either. Hilton has put up 1,000 yards without his star QB for most of the year as well.

Honestly it's really stupid to determine who the #1 receiver, #2 receiver and #3 receiver are based on where they line up on the field.  

Does putting TY in the slot mean that the opposition will line up their #3 CB on him??  I'm pretty sure that isn't the case.  

On 1/26/2017 at 7:29 AM, Defjamz26 said:

My top 5 is Julio, Brown, Beckham, Evans, and Hilton in that order. I look at stats for WRs. Hilton is way more consistent than Green. Green has never lead the league in receiving either. Hilton has put up 1,000 yards without his star QB for most of the year as well.

Green is anything but inconsistent. He's amazing honestly. As is ty, but they're different wideouts.

On 1/25/2017 at 7:43 PM, Smoke317 said:

Insert Lucky for Chud. 
 Lucky doesn`t see the whole field that well so he has over targeted someone all of his seasons.

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Green is anything but inconsistent. He's amazing honestly. As is ty, but they're different wideouts.

He's inconsistent because of injuries since he's been in the league he hasn't played a whole season yet he's very good but I would put hilton slightly ahead of green