Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Players feel they aren't coached hard enough?

MR. Blueblood

15 hours ago, Nadine said:

bah, I was terrified of my hs french teacher and I didn't learn french at all.

You make a good point Nadine. Not everybody is receptive to fear, yelling, & intimidation as a motivational tool. 

That's the 1 thing that I was really bombarded with in library school. Barriers to learning such as cultural norms, upbringing, language difficulties, physical ailments, maybe a lack of mentors, & the flip side--how to meet deadlines with different personalties in groups...The lazy, dump all the heavy lifting on anybody else guy, the control freak, the I need complete credit to mask my fragile ego person, & getting the quiet one to come out of their shell & realize they are not stupid & they have some really good ideas if they are just given some confidence & reassurance overall. 

Like everybody else said, I give no credibility to unnamed sources either. If you feel strongly for or against somebody, at least have the brass ones to attach your name to it or say absolutely nothing. 

After 1 more season, both Pags & Grigs will be gone regardless I think. Jimmy won't accept another down year. I'm not pulling for anyone's dismissal personally. I just don't need 1 more season to get pulverized by NE & Pittsburgh once again. I'm ready to reboot now. Nothing is going to change & I wanna compete for SBs not division titles. 

17 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

After 1 more season, both Pags & Grigs will be gone regardless I think. Jimmy won't accept another down year. 

I think it's more likely than not that the Colt's record improves next year, but they won't be good enough to make a serious push, and this debate will be repeated.

6 hours ago, DougDew said:

I agree.  I have no idea.

I can see a player approach the HC with an issue that involves them personally, but approaching the HC as a means to change his coaching approach in a way that impacts the entire team....I just don't see it.  I could see a past player like Cory Redding doing it, taking it upon himself to speak for the entire team in hopes the HC will change his approach to coaching, I just don't see any of the current players doing that.  But I certainly don't know the dynamics.

Somebody upstream mentioned he thought TY was frustrated at Chuck during one of the games.  Who knows, but I could see TY stewing on the situation, retreat inward, and resolve to make the team better by working harder himself.   I don't see him walking up to Pagano and saying "hey coach, me and some of the other players think we should be doing this, and this, and this; and stop doing that, in practice."  That has nothing to do with Pagano's personality or approachability.  It has to do with the personalities of the player.

But I only see what happens during games and what I read, so I know nothing about it really.

Most every NFL team has a group of veterans whose job it is to monitor the locker-room.   Have their finger on the pulse of the team.      And if there's a problem,   they go tot he coach to give him a heads up.

These aren't college kids,  these are grown men.    This is their business and livelihood.     In the past,  I thought I've read that the Colts have this.      I know Pagano and Grigson have always talked about having a great locker-room.      It's impossible to me that no one thought to approach Pagano to say there's a problem....

If I were a reporter,  I'd be asking Pagano and/or Grigson this very question at the very next media gathering.   In fact,  now that it's surfaced,  I'd be asking Colts PR to set up an interview with me and Pagano so I can ask him about this.       It's too important not to be asked and answered.....

Again,  if this is true,  it's a black mark on Pagano.   So, I'd certainly like to know more....

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Based on what?

Watching practice/training camp.  I don't know if they expressed it quite as harshly as above,  but Venturi and Big Joe (former colts player) both though Chuck was pretty easy on them.  They are both from a different era, so take it for what it's worth.

58 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Watching practice/training camp.  I don't know if they expressed it quite as harshly as above,  but Venturi and Big Joe (former colts player) both though Chuck was pretty easy on them.  They are both from a different era, so take it for what it's worth.

To me, 'least practiced' means amount of practice, not quality of practice. I thought the other poster was saying the Colts practice less than other teams, which I think we all know isn't true. If I misunderstood, my bad.

Quality of practice is subjective, though, and I don't put a lot of stock in what guys like Venturi and Big Joe say about the quality of modern practice. They rail against the way the NFL operates today because they're from the old school, and while they make great points about how the new rules hurt the quality of the game, they aren't judging the Colts against how everyone else practices today. They're judging the Colts against how they want the Colts to practice, and that's unfair and irrelevant.

None of this is to say that the quality of the Colts practice is or isn't good enough.

21 hours ago, IinD said:

8-8 with a top flight QB tells me that as well.

Just from a fan watching from the outside, our coaching staff totally seems to have that high school coaching vibe.

(Lose by 21)'Good job guys we'll get em next week'.

(Comeback from 21 down to lose by 3)'Great job continuing to fight, we would have won if there was more time'.

(Straight blown out) 'Just one of those days guys'.

Spit my drink out at this. This is chuck in a nutshell. 

Hes a feel good coach... players love him, cause he's likeable, sometimes had a feeling whenever players say they loved him it was more so as a person vs coach lol..as a coach show your disappointment in players if they mess up 

21 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I could almost bet that one of those unnamed players are T.Y. Hilton. He's been frustrated for 2 years and you can tell. I could tell he had issues with Pagano after the the blowout loss to the Jags last season.

If it is one of the veteran players, I'd say it's TY too, who's probably been most critical to media 

20 hours ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

you don't produce for Bill Belichick you are gone and the players know that

David reed, Trent Richardson, DHB, Donnie Avery, hakeem nicks, tom zbikowski, bjoern Werner, khaled Holmes, todd herremans, and many more know the same thing about pagano

6 hours ago, egg said:

I think it's more likely than not that the Colt's record improves next year, but they won't be good enough to make a serious push, and this debate will be repeated.

Yes, those that want this GM & HC gone [SW1 is definitely in that camp] vs others that cling to any slight improvement on the OL & a rise in RB numbers will go...Hey come on, we are starting to gel why blow this partnership up now when prosperity is just around the corner? 

And of course, those that want Pags & Grigs gone will be classified as haters who just aren't patient enough. LOL! 

I'm not placing you in the "so you're telling me there's a chance" at a Pagano SB egg. I'm just not sold on this duo anymore & neither side is moving from their entrenched corners. I get that. 

I don't hate Pagano & I've never been the President of Grigson's fan club either. It's like being in a relationship that had memorable moments, but you're never gonna walk down the aisle & make a ironclad commitment with in a million yrs. The clapping bothers me, the same mistakes bother me, & the what do you think I should do to media responses to criticism lines bother me. Chuck is coordinator material not head coach material. There's no shame in that. As long as you don't try to pretend you are more than that Chuck. 

And I don't care how Ryan tries to downplay it or dismiss it. He is responsible for Luck's lacerated kidney indirectly in my mind & I will never give Grigson a pass on that ever. I can't. I won't. I refuse to. 

On 1/3/2017 at 8:35 PM, Superman said:

1) I don't like "unnamed sources." 

2) They should have said this during the season, when it might have mattered.

3) I'm not dismissing it, despite the previous two points. This team had more unforced errors this season than it has in previous years, and left a lot of yards and points on the field as a result. 

4) This isn't a good sign for a coach that's always had the players on his side, including very vocal support from the veteran leaders on the team. Pagano still has that, but if players are starting to voice their frustrations, even in this weak manner, it may mean a leak has busted.

If you've already posted in a thread I don't know why I even bother to comment. You typically sum my feelings up 100%. I hate these week unnamed sources etc but also it does mirror some of my concerns about this team though. Keep up the good work posting lol!

On 1/3/2017 at 7:43 PM, Fisticuffs111 said:

It wouldn't surprise me. It's kind of why I don't really put much stock into the "players love to play for him" stuff. 

My favorite teachers in school were the most friendly, lenient, and easiest to pass, no matter if they were actually doing a good job or not.

Seems like a good sign to me. Very good players want to perform well, achieve great things, and win. Player dissatisfaction with an average (8-8) season probably means we have very good players who want to remove obstacles standing in their way.

13 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I'm just not sold on this duo anymore 

I understand....my post was really about what I think Irsay will do if, in fact, the Colt's record improves next year, and not necessarily what others  will want him to do.

23 minutes ago, egg said:

I understand....my post was really about what I think Irsay will do if, in fact, the Colt's record improves next year, and not necessarily what others  will want him to do.

I've given up trying to get into the minds of others. There's not enough money in it.

On 01/03/2017 at 9:34 PM, presto123 said:

I do agree with you, but my pet peeve in general is professional athletes claiming discipline and accountability is on a coach. Sorry, but when you make that much money and have millions of fans depending on you giving the effort, I'm not buying that bull. Players need to look in the mirror somewhat. That being said, I don't really  think Pagano is a very good coach and he absolutely does need to be tougher and demand more accountability. If he is replaced(which I want), I wouldn't be opposed to someone with a harder edge.

Well these players grew up in the generation of "it's everyone elses fault" and if you don't have a coach that is going to force them to look in that mirror then you end up with what we saw this year......or worse

15 hours ago, Jason_S said:

David reed, Trent Richardson, DHB, Donnie Avery, hakeem nicks, tom zbikowski, bjoern Werner, khaled Holmes, todd herremans, and many more know the same thing about pagano

Donnie Avery really wasn't all that bad, if I remember correctly. 

On January 3, 2017 at 8:34 PM, presto123 said:

I do agree with you, but my pet peeve in general is professional athletes claiming discipline and accountability is on a coach. Sorry, but when you make that much money and have millions of fans depending on you giving the effort, I'm not buying that bull. Players need to look in the mirror somewhat. That being said, I don't really  think Pagano is a very good coach and he absolutely does need to be tougher and demand more accountability. If he is replaced(which I want), I wouldn't be opposed to someone with a harder edge.

1 hour ago, FanFromtheWasteland said:

Well these players grew up in the generation of "it's everyone elses fault" and if you don't have a coach that is going to force them to look in that mirror then you end up with what we saw this year......or worse

I believe it was HOF cornerback Deion Sanders who said something to the effect that 'money & fame make you more of who & what you are.' Translation: Millions of dollars at a person's disposal tends to become an extension of an athlete's internal personality & character traits. Some guys can self motivate themselves & they are driven to be great. While others just want mansions, lavish rides, nice threads, sexual conquest, & the notoriety that succeeding in the league gives them overall. 

You're both right to some degree gentlemen. Uh huh. Some guys have exploited their athletic talents on the field to not grow up & they surround themselves with enablers to shield them from responsibility & get them out of jams because of their production in games, which is masked or tolerated until your skill set declines dramatically. 

4 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

The lack of discipline was obvious during the season when there were alot of unnecessary penalties nothing should've been said it was right there in front of chuck and some of ya'll actually thinks he's a good head coach

What do you classify an unnecessary penalty?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

What do you classify an unnecessary penalty?

Unnecessary roughness, way too many false start (yeah false starts happens from time to time but there were too many called this year messing up a good drive) pass interference on the defense who told these guys they can grab the wr down the field??? Smh