Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano will be made available to the media at 1:30 today.

stitches

5 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

That would be true if the talent level wasn't there to be 12-4   And it is   So yea Pagano sucks and is trash

The talent for 12-4 definitely is not there. One could argue that the 2012 team was more talented. 

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Timing and evidence...

1-He's not deaf, Irsay knows his staff is twisting in a sharp, cold wind today.  He'd have already cleared them for next year if he was 100% to keep them....and he said he'd look at everything again at the end of the year.

2- The evidence is that this was a 12 win team that won 8.  The conversation isn't over yet.

Well, the evidence isnt great. So i got nothing there except that I think when he extended them for "continuity," it makes littke to no sense to fire them 1 year later given the rister deficiencies. 

On timing, silence means little with this organization. Luck's rib injury being a good example. We were always given tidbits of maybe he will be back next week for weeks and then all the sudden, he's shelved with lacerations and broken ribs.

Until Irsay says it himself, its hard to project anything.

Just now, jvan1973 said:

How is the talent level on defense a 12 win team?  Get real

How is Houston 10-6 with Osweiler and Savage at QB? Green Bays defense is as bad as ours and they have no rb on offense they are using wr and gronkowski at rb..They are in playoffs though..Have you watched a game and thought damn what a great gameplan Pagano put together? What a smart decision he made ? Ever? 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

You could go on a lot.     You often do.

I just don't recognize the football you and many others around here see.

I think your view is far different from mine and a few others here.      My view is a minority view.    Your view is the majority view.      I just don't happen to agree with it.

Hopefully we'll have a better understanding of where the Colts stand in the next 24 hours.

Well, we know where the Colts stand, it's just a matter of fixing it.... and that's not easy in this league.  We'll have a better understand of who is going to fix it (i hope).  much respect for your view however, always respect.

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How is the talent level on defense a 12 win team?  Get real

It isn't, if we had Robert Mathis and Dwight Freeney in their prime I think we could go 10-6 easily every year. Peyton was 12-4 routinely but that was Peyton. Luck is Very Good but he isn't Peyton but still we would be 10-6 routinely with 2 Pass Rushers like that. Maybe even 11-5 every season.

5 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

How is Houston 10-6 with Osweiler and Savage at QB? Green Bays defense is as bad as ours and they have no rb on offense they are using wr and gronkowski at rb..They are in playoffs though..Have you watched a game and thought damn what a great gameplan Pagano put together? What a smart decision he made ? Ever? 

Some of it is Coaching but the Texans even without Watt have a Great Defense. Also they won a ton of close games, will that happen next season? I doubt it, they could easily lose the same type of games next season that they won and be 7-9 or 6-10. We on the other hand lost at least 2 or 3 games that we gave away, could we win those type of games next season, I say yes.

Like calling a timeout against Lions to give them time, and then going into a prevent defense so they can win...That loss was completely on him alone..How about all the times we wait till second half to go uptempo to comeback 17 instead of playing like that from the start and not falling in a hole..How about developing players better and scheming better...It goes on and on and on...

37 minutes ago, runthepost said:

I think Lions, both Texans games and the jags? Is what he was referring to 

I get that.     But, as I noted,   which coach who has his job on the line opens up and says "I screwed up 4 games.    I'm the reason we lost those games."      And especially when Chuck may not even think that.    He may think we lost those games because Ryan Grigson didn't give him enough talent to win those games.

I like it when a Coach takes responsibility.    But I don't expect my coach to take that many bullets just because the media and fan base demand that he does.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some of it is Coaching but the Texans even without Watt have a Great Defense. Also they won a ton of close games, will that happen next season? I doubt it, they could easily lose the same type of games next season that they won and be 7-9 or 6-10. We on the other hand lost at least 2 or 3 games that we gave away, could we win those type of games next season, I say yes.

We have a great offense that could be best in league with smarter playcalling...

7 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Well, we know where the Colts stand, it's just a matter of fixing it.... and that's not easy in this league.  We'll have a better understand of who is going to fix it (i hope).  much respect for your view however, always respect.

Thanks......

That's very kind of you to say.     Really.

Much appreciated.

I know these days are not fun for anyone.....      Thanks again....

I still stand by that they knew this was kind of a reset year so chances are nothing will happen this year. Doesn't mean it won't happen, just probably not likely. The 2013 offseason and draft really set the team back( though I think that draft set a lot of teams back) it was that bad for the most part.

The last 2 drafts really got some good potential foundation pieces going forward and I can see Grigaon really hammering the D in this draft like he hit the O line this past one. Luckily this draft is deep in the Colts biggest weakness, pass rush. 

Now if Irsay keeps things as is and next season there's no noticeable improvement I can see a house cleaning.

10 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

we have the talent to be a 12-win team????   On defense?

We are 8-8 now correct?   Should have beaten the Lions. The Texans twice the jags the first time and other games        So EASILY a 12 win team.   

And and we have a lot more talent than the 2012 team.  To think otherwise is crazy.    Just take a look at the Oline and compare 

11 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, the evidence isnt great. So i got nothing there except that I think when he extended them for "continuity," it makes littke to no sense to fire them 1 year later given the rister deficiencies. 

On timing, silence means little with this organization. Luck's rib injury being a good example. We were always given tidbits of maybe he will be back next week for weeks and then all the sudden, he's shelved with lacerations and broken ribs.

I may have oversimplified the explanation, but the evidence is much stronger than that...and the evidence is only intended to suggest need for further conversation between the braintrust...not evidence that proves this was a 12 win team.

But, on that topic....the math is easy and we all know it.  Coaching cost us an obvious 3 division games + the Lions game.  

15 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Also, leaving your staff twisting in the wind on Black Monday is different than any other types of silence we could use for evidence.  That alone is meaningful.  I really just threw in the other because I'm a fan and ticked off about the coaching....

1 minute ago, Coltfreak said:

We are 8-8 now correct?   Should have beaten the Lions. The Texans twice the jags the first time and other games        So EASILY a 12 win team.   

And and we have a lot more talent than the 2012 team.  To think otherwise is crazy.    Just take a look at the Oline and compare 

This team has plenty of talent to be a playoff team...Even on defense we have some pieces. .Thats where coaching comes to play and we are lacking badly...There are coaches out there that could have a 1st round bye with this team as it sits right now I have no doubt...We get a couple legit pass rushers you can win it all with this team...No matter what, every team is gonna have holes..Not gonna be an all pro in every position...That is why coaching is so important, as important as quarterback and overall talent..A coach can put you over the top or hold you back...Pagano holds us back and it's obvious, he should have been gone last yr so we wasted 1 year already Id hate to see us waste another...

30 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

We have a great offense that could be best in league with smarter playcalling...

We have a great offense and it could be best in league once the young offensive line matures and gels.

There.      I fixed that for you!

You're welcome.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

The chargers won 5 games,  and they lost to the colts

True. We haven't fallen off that cliff (and hopefully never will). I just remember a few years ago they had back to back 9-7 seasons, then blew up to like a 4-12 season and then continued to what happened this year. 

So yeah, we did beat them. But I guess I should restate that we are running the chance of becoming the mid 2007-2014 Chargers. Average to above-average, make the playoffs and win a few games, but incapable of winning championships, with the foreshadowing of really bad seasons to come. I just don't want to see us fall into that. 

I really hope Chuck and company proves me wrong next year. I really do. I want this team to succeed and bring that winning pedigree back to this state. I just don't see it happening. The draft and free agency will have to be absolutely perfect, with no mistakes in order to make the playoffs with the current coaching staff. We desperately need an Andrew Luck type of individual on the defense.

And yes... I'm really spoiled now. The 1990s were a long time ago for me. Just imagine how Patriots fans will feel when they experience this.

2 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Just imagine how Patriots fans will feel when they experience this.

The Patriots fans won't feel anything. 90% of their fans are bandwagoners, so once their team sucks, they're just going to jump to the Cowboys.

28 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Also, leaving your staff twisting in the wind on Black Monday is different than any other types of silence we could use for evidence.  That alone is meaningful.  I really just threw in the other because I'm a fan and ticked off about the coaching....

Yeah, Im not a fan of it either. Irsays never been one to make changes for the sake of change. He will want to know the pool of candidates available before doing anything. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Once Brady and BB retire they will disappear. Colts have their Franchise QB in tact at least for years, they don't. Their down time is right around the corner.

Problem is it looks like Brady could play till he is 45 so we need to just find a way to beat them..

4 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Problem is it looks like Brady could play till he is 45 so we need to just find a way to beat them..

I think they'll trade him before that happens, or Belichick retires and Brady reluctantly retires with him, or he decides to test free agency.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would rather beat them so I am with you but he wont play for more than 2 or 3 years if I had to guess. If he does it defies all logic.

Also looks like their real MVP is back this year...Scarnecchia. he retires and Bradu takes a beating....He comes back the wall of Brady returns.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would rather beat them so I am with you but he wont play for more than 2 or 3 years if I had to guess. If he does it defies all logic.

Already defying logic I think he is 39 now and probably MVP with 14-2 record. ...We will NEVER beat them with Pagano matching wits with Belichik...Our best hope in that scenario is someone else beating them for us where we don't have to face them...

Just now, jshipp23 said:

Already defying logic I think he is 39 now and probably MVP with 14-2 record. ...We will NEVER beat them with Pagano matching wits with Belichik...Our best hope in that scenario is someone else beating them for us where we don't have to face them...

No coach can beat belichick by matching wits with him.    Do you really think caldwell out witted him?  Or Rex Ryan?

47 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

This team has plenty of talent to be a playoff team...Even on defense we have some pieces. .Thats where coaching comes to play and we are lacking badly...There are coaches out there that could have a 1st round bye with this team as it sits right now I have no doubt...We get a couple legit pass rushers you can win it all with this team...No matter what, every team is gonna have holes..Not gonna be an all pro in every position...That is why coaching is so important, as important as quarterback and overall talent..A coach can put you over the top or hold you back...Pagano holds us back and it's obvious, he should have been gone last yr so we wasted 1 year already Id hate to see us waste another...

Name me a coach out there who's offensive line has gotten the quarterback sacked more than any team in the league, running game averages about 67 to 90 yards per game. All while having the 30th or 31st ranked defense that is currently in the playoffs?  It's been the same problem for years.  I just don't think you can consistently have those same holes year in and year out and expect to consistently be in the playoffs.  It's going to be more up and down until you stabilize those issues.  Chuck has been in the playoffs plenty, but I don't think it happens year in and year out with sizeable holes in major parts of your team.

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

No coach can beat belichick by matching wits with him.    Do you really think caldwell out witted him?  Or Rex Ryan?

No but some can be somewhat competent and win with better overall talent or luck...You could let Belichik coach the Browns and Pagano coach the Steelers and Pagano would lose by 2 tds..

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

Name me a coach out there who's offensive line has gotten the quarterback sacked more than any team in the league, running game averages about 67 to 90 yards per game. All while having the 30th or 31st ranked defense that is currently in the playoffs?  It's been the same problem for years.  I just don't think you can consistently have those same holes year in and year out and expect to consistently be in the playoffs.  It's going to be more up and down until you stabilize those issues. 

A lot of those sacks are because of offensive scheme,  and we don't get a lot of rushing yards because we got to come from behind constantly so we can't afford to be patient with running game..I know your a Pagano fan man, I just disagree..I still have hope next year even with him though...He is supposed to be a defensive coach so yes we put $$ in the offense and he should make a talent deficient defense respectable. ..Look at what Wade Philips has done? 

12 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Yeah, Im not a fan of it either. Irsays never been one to make changes for the sake of change. He will want to know the pool of candidates available before doing anything. 

Ya, we have an owner that gets it.  If we do something it will be well done.  This staff will take us to the playoffs next year regardless....and he knows that.  

Irsay also knows we'll be maddeningly inconsistent and unable to scheme with the elite...and that will require change in the near future...but we don't need to be impatient prior to the right solution emerging.

The delay is most likely a reflection of the complications of evaluating coach and GM combinations...and the different needs of each.

If he were going to fire Pagano and keep Grigson, then that would have happened already.