Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andrew Luck Is he the real deal or not

bleed blue4life

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Andrew is a top QB in this league but he is not as good as Peyton and never will be...not even close. Peyton processed information much quicker and got rid of the ball much quicker...and made the plays.  I doubt Andrew will ever be able to do this. He plays the game almost the same as Big Ben. That is who he is and always will be. Andrew does not seem able to make the quick reads and quick releases like Peyton.

How anyone can say Luck  will never be as good as Manning is baffling!!

Here are their stats through the first 5 seasons of their careers with Luck playing in 10 less games!! Give Luck the offensive line & offensive weapons & coaching staff  Manning played with & Luck would probably have even better #'s than he already has!

Peyton Manning

Games    Att          Comp    Comp %

80           2817      1749      62.06

Yds             TD         Int              Rating

20618        138        100           85.9

Rush Att       Rush Yds       Rush TD

160                 556                 9

Andrew Luck

Games      Att          Comp          Comp %

70            2651         1570            59.03

Yards          TD           Int           Rating

19078         132         68            85.84

Rush Att        Rush Yds         Rush TD

286                  1442                  14

He is good, but far from elite in the realm of Peyton/Brady like many had hoped for, including me. Thats not going to likely happen. I realize Peyton and Brady are among the top select group of all time but when we did draft Luck and now paid him........we were all secretly hoping Luck could become "one of them". I don't think he can right now sadly, I wish I was wrong.

The sad cold hard truth is, elite QBs play better in games at home like against Houston weeks ago when we lost with the division literally on the line. Those are the types of games you rally your team and do whatever it takes to inspire them to win IMO, thats what makes elite from just "good".

2 minutes ago, Jules said:

He is good, but far from elite in the realm of Peyton/Brady like many had hoped for, including me. Thats not going to likely happen. I realize Peyton and Brady are among the top select group of all time but when we did draft Luck and now paid him........we were all secretly hoping Luck could become "one of them". I don't think he can right now sadly, I wish I was wrong.

The sad cold hard truth is, elite QBs play better in games at home like against Houston weeks ago when we lost with the division literally on the line. Those are the types of games you rally your team and do whatever it takes to inspire them to win IMO, thats what makes elite from just "good".

not too busy to post this i guess

6 minutes ago, Jules said:

He is still only in year in 5, lets see how the next 2 or 3 years go. Peyton and Brady are on a different planet.

6 minutes ago, Jules said:

No one ever seriously thought Luck would be Peyton Manning, who is the premier QB of our era.

But I dont think he's far from elite.

Check the numbers Talbot posted..

Youi can highlight 1 or 2 games but the 'body of work' is the truth.

Never had a losing season...high numbers when he's played...

the heart of his career is yet to come

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

No one ever seriously thought Luck would be Peyton Manning, who is the premier QB of our era.

But I dont think he's far from elite.

Check the numbers Talbot posted..

Youi can highlight 1 or 2 games but the 'body of work' is the truth.

Never had a losing season...high numbers when he's played...

the heart of his career is yet to come

Luck has good numbers a lot, very good. And I am a big fan of his and would not choose many active QBs over him if I would even go with a few more, so he is in a good group at his age. However there is just something "missing" I can't quite put my finger on at times that makes me think he can cross that threshold and become the magical E word we all fetish over.

1 minute ago, Jules said:

Luck has good numbers a lot, very good. And I am a big fan of his and would not choose many active QBs over him if I would even go with a few more, so he is in a good group at his age. However there is just something "missing" I can't quite put my finger on at times that makes me think he can cross that threshold and become the magical E word we all fetish over.

I think you (and I) just want to win the division every year..and we should...we could have.

I think he knows the expectations and he forces things.

If we can just because more of (or any kind of ) force defensively,. he will play with the lead more and make less mistakes.

...Greatness requires more team success

If Andrew had the same numbers he had this year but we were 12-4, there wouldnt be doubts.

But we're 8-8

On 12/31/2016 at 2:12 PM, Coltsman1788 said:

He was over hyped coming out of college.  He had a nice start to his career but has failed to evolve his game and on field I.Q.  Thus, his development has been stunted.  He continues to make bad throws, poor decisions and turn the ball.  His self depreciating pressers are wearing thin minus improvements in his game.  He is what he is right now...a  solid to good but not  elite QB in this league. 

Bingo. Good and fair description of Luck. He needs to get better. 

On 12/31/2016 at 0:21 PM, bleed blue 4 life said:

Sorry but as a lifelong Colts fan from Baltimore and still one today, I watch EVERY SINGLE GAME on Direct tv. I am just not sure Luck will ever live up tp his billing, Forget the yards and touchdowns , will this guy ever learn to read a defense and check off , yea I know the line has been a problem but this guy continues to throw into double coverage and his on one week off one week and saying every week in his pressers I made some bad decisions is getting a little old . Fans I am just not sure if he will ever be as good as advertised . Thoughts?????

I will probably always support Luck, but I don't think he is there yet. I don't think he is even in his prime because like you said he doesn't read defenses all that well. Rarely see him take advantage of the blitz like Peyton or Brady, nor does he scan the field very well (a wide open gore down the sidelines today). Hopefully with new teachers and coaches this offseason, he can step into a more complete QB role. We can only hope! But this whole team has been pretty disappointing in the long run. 

I too get angry when Luck looks incompetent but compare his first four years with Peyton's and you will see a huge difference favoring Luck. The first half of today's game against the Jags showed how grotesquely they are unprepared. This hot and cold method we saw all year must stop nd everyone knows it.

On 12/31/2016 at 1:13 PM, Nostrils said:

Oh godddddd...

Care to contribute or just belittle?  Agree or disagree with the OP's post, I think there were some good points made.  For example, I don't think that Luck is to blame for this year's disappointing season.  In fact, this may be his best all around season to date, given what he was working with.  

With that being said, I don't think he will live up to the hype and expectations that we as fans put on his shoulders. (Myself included).  After his first couple of seasons, many fans thought he would be as good as Peyton was.  I don't think he will go down as one of the all time greats, but rather a very good QB, maybe even HOF.  That's simply my prediction though, and the sky truly is the limit for Luck.  I'd be interested to see how much better he would perform behind consistent O line play over the course of an entire season.  

On 12/31/2016 at 2:24 PM, UKColt13 said:

He was also being held back by Pep still being OC. The Broncos game of I remember right was Chud's first game as OC, and Luck looked great, until he got hit and lacerated his kidney the same game.

I'm not going to argue the he played amazingly all last year. But let's not start saying he's not arguably an elite level quarterback.

Luck is not elite....Yet. 

On 12/31/2016 at 8:29 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I disagree, Bert Jones was 47-49 in his career and he only had 18,190 Yards Passing with 124 TD's and 101 INT's for his career. He never won a Playoff game either so how do you come up with the conclusion Bert Jones is better than Andrew Luck? Luck in 5 seasons already has 3 Playoff wins and has a season where he has thrown for 40 TD's. He has a career record of 45-30 as well. So many facts are in favor of Luck being better and Luck isnt even his prime yet. Jones was a Great talent but Luck is clearly 3rd behind Unitas and Peyton.

I'm not saying that Jones was or wasn't better.  I never saw him play, so I can't attest to that.  However, surely you know that you can't compare pass yards and TDs from Bert Jones's era to the modern game.  

I agree, he's not Brady or Manning, but those were two of the greatest of all time.  He's easily a top 5 QB that still hasn't seen his best days.  I think the real problem is playing under an incompetent coach  (minus the year with Arians),  and having a weak o-line in front of him for pretty much his entire career.

On 12/31/2016 at 0:50 PM, Bigbadbill said:

He holds the ball almost three seconds

wish he would throw the ball within "3 seconds"...In the last Texan's game he threw an INT when he got hit from behind in the pocket  9 seconds after the ball was snapped....then on the strip sack from Clowney, he had a full 3 seconds to throw when he goes to double clutch the ball with his back to Clowney knowing full well that Allen was single blocking him.

I agree with everything else you said in this post.

I think Luck is the real deal, but there are lots of room for improvement. One thing I notice is you dont see Luck looking at drives or plays on the sideline especially after a mistake to see where things went wrong. Also I am pretty sure PM had more freedom calling his own plays than Luck probably does. 

On 1/1/2017 at 5:59 PM, talbott37 said:

Here are their stats through the first 5 seasons of their careers with Luck playing in 10 less games!! Give Luck the offensive line & offensive weapons & coaching staff  Manning played with & Luck would probably have even better #'s than he already has!

Peyton Manning

Andrew Luck

Not arguing that Luck hasn't been better than Manning during his first five seasons.  I'd say it's pretty close, but stats from different eras will do nothing to justify your argument.

Yes this is one of his best seasons by far.  Sure he still makes some bad throws but so do all of them, I remember Peyton the first year he was with Denver throwing across his body in OT and getting picked off by the Ravens.  That wasn't a smart decision.  

He's being hampered by

A poor running game.  (Gore made our running game a lot better but it's still not that great.)

Bad OL in the beginning of the season (although it's shown some great improvements since then.)

Terrible defense

And receivers dropping passes.

On 1/1/2017 at 6:14 PM, Jules said:

The sad cold hard truth is, elite QBs play better in games at home like against Houston weeks ago when we lost with the division literally on the line. 

I too like Luck and am glad he's a Colt. He has great numbers but his mistakes are so costly that they keep him from being elite........Anyone can go look at the game summary video at NFL.com on the last Texan's game and you will see Andrew Luck's turnovers as the main reason the Colts lost, and they were his fault....And it's not just this game. 

How many posts do you make that start with an apology before anything is stated? 

I'd be sorry for not noticing that Luck is really the only elite piece the Colts have. 

Since week one of last year the blitz has screwed with his timing. If the O line get's past bad to mediocre, he'll be closer to Rodgers than Bortles.

I'll throw my two cents into the hat in the ring.

With Luck as our QB, I simply NEVER feel like the game is over.  Ever.  Not even when we were down 38-10 to the Chiefs.

How many other QBs can you say that about?  Brady, Roth, Rogers, Brees - anyone else?  I don't feel that way with Rivers, Eli, Flacco, Wilson, Mariota (yet), Prescott (yet), Carr (yet), Ryan (admittedly I don't know much about him - is he as good as Luck at always keeping his team in the game?), Cousins, Stafford (who has that potential).  Newton deserves to be at least mentioned here but I just don't see him as the comeback artist Luck is.

Yes, it's true that some of the time Luck is part of the REASON the Colts need to come back at the end.  But a) he counterbalances games like those with plenty of games like Minnesota, the Jets, the 2nd Titans game and the Packers game where he gets us out to a huge early lead that the defense and running game SHOULD be able to help him hold, and b) all QBs make occasional mistakes.  Other than possibly Ryan is anyone in the second list as good as Luck at getting his team out to big leads?

The 4 QBs I mentioned are the only 4 QBs I would even CONSIDER swapping Luck for.

If top 5 in the league isn't elite your definition of elite is too narrow

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, talbott37 said:

Peyton Manning

Andrew Luck

It's not just the numbers, look at the wins and losses between the 2 QB's as well. Luck in his first 5 seasons is 43-27 in 70 starts, Peyton in his first 5 seasons was 42-38 in 80 starts. Also Luck has 3 Playoff wins in his first 5 seasons, Peyton had 0. If you just compare the 2 for their first 5 seasons, Luck has been better. Peyton really didn't take off until season 6 (2003) regarding becoming Elite.

I really struggle with the logic "he's had one of the best starts to a QB career ever and is coming off one of his best seasons but I don't think he will live up to the hype or be one of the all time greats." Not sure how he hasn't lived up to the hype, given his overall body of work thus far and don't see how he won't be great when he could have another ten years ahead of him. Did we expect him to have Super Bowls and MVPs by year five? Crazy.

Sadly, colts can't win anything without Luck. He is the real deal, he is the core of the team.

Quarterbacks don't win championships. if you expect everytime your QB win the game, the only thing you will get is an 8-8 season or worse.

If your QB somehow manage to put 35 on the board and you still lose, that's not on your QB.