Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jeff Fisher fired (Merged)

PeterBowman

I feel bad admitting this but back in 2012 I was actually hoping the Colts took a look at Fisher for HC. I always thought he did fairly well with at Tennessee with average talent and thought he could actually do pretty well with a good quarterback. Probably a good thing that didn't come to pass. Not that LA has the greatest talent itself.

2 minutes ago, Dudley Smith said:

I feel bad admitting this but back in 2012 I was actually hoping the Colts took a look at Fisher for HC. I always thought he did fairly well with at Tennessee with average talent and thought he could actually do pretty well with a good quarterback. Probably a good thing that didn't come to pass. Not that LA has the greatest talent itself.

Don't feel bad. I recall a lot of people wanting him.

Word has it Bears fans are disgruntled with Fox (that didn't take long), and I know they love their '85 memories. Being a Bears hater I'd love it, but mediocrity would be a step up for them, right now.

Harbaugh is probably the 2nd best active coach but Indy is the 1 place he shouldn't go imo. It's hard recapturing the magic (see Cutler/Marshall, Blesoe/Parcels etc) in these cases, and with the drama today it would be about as ugly as a late 90s WCW attempt at recapturing the magic. Like this if you get the reference lol!

John Gruden don't turn your phone off, coaching in LA is not Indy or Cincy, you have to be LA type. Kyle Shanahan's name is up already but Gruden has hinted at getting back in plus if the Chargers go to LA the Rams have to compete for fans. The firing comes on a Monday when they have a game on Thursday. Brilliant!! Never thought Fisher would fail like he has.

22 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Let's just hope Irsay doesn't let Pagano become the new Fisher terrible head coach that some how keeps his job year after year!!

Pagano at least had some success prior to 2015. Fisher's Rams haven't even reached .500; that's Pagano's worst season. 

Not a defense of Pagano, but Fisher < Pagano, based on record, achievement, and pretty much everything else.

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I hope you were not being serious.

Jeff Fisher has 6 winning seasons in 31 seasons of being a HC.  6.

I am not a fan of Pagano but he is better than Fisher.

Here's another fun fact: Jeff Fischer has now tied an NFL record for most losses as a head coach. To be fair, he's been a head coach for a long time, but it's still a dubious record.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/los-angeles-rams-fire-coach-jeff-fisher-who-just-tied-nfl-record-for-most-losses-194547819.html

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

IRSAY: Go after Harbaugh before the Rams do! 

I don't think Harbaugh would leave Michigan to come to Indy.

I can almost guarantee you that he's not going to leave Michigan to go to LA.  

Nothing attractive about the Rams at all from a coaching perspective.  Not a lot of talent there, poorly run team, Goff not looking good, plus they just dumped a ton of future picks on him.  

No way Harbaugh or any top coaching prospect is going to be wanting that job.  

And Harbaugh could take any open job NFL or college he wants if he was willing to leave Michigan.  

I am somewhat surprised Fisher was fired...not because I think he is a good coach but it seemed like the Rams were content with him.

I don't doubt that Harbaugh will return to the NFL but I always figured he would be at Michigan 3-4 years. I think when he does return he will want a Pete Carroll like situation. Maybe LA will offer him that and he takes it.

That will be crushing to Michigan if he does decide to leave after just 2 years.

27 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I hope you were not being serious.

Jeff Fisher has 6 winning seasons in 31 seasons of being a HC.  6.

I am not a fan of Pagano but he is better than Fisher.

22 seasons as a head coach, not 31. And saying anyone is better than Fisher is not saying much.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Pagano at least had some success prior to 2015. Fisher's Rams haven't even reached .500; that's Pagano's worst season. 

Not a defense of Pagano, but Fisher < Pagano, based on record, achievement, and pretty much everything else.

Some forget old Fish had some pretty good Titan teams.  It was always a fight against McNair and the boys.  Maybe Jeff Fisher cannot hang with the times. :)  

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I agree I just mean the keeping him over and over when he should be fired like the rams did with fisher 

34 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Some forget old Fish had some pretty good Titan teams.  It was always a fight against McNair and the boys.  Maybe Jeff Fisher cannot hang with the times. :)  

He had a couple pretty good Titans teams, but for the most part they were mediocre. He's done a much worse job with the Rams. I think the game passed him by a long time ago, and felt that way before he was fired by Tennessee. 

He's definitely an accomplished coach, but so are Parcells, Shanahan, Gruden, Cowher and Billick, and I don't think any of them should be back in the NFL either.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

We'll see what happens, but I think Pagano stays another year, at least.

Unfortunately this is probably true, we might enter Jets territory where we just have some December wins that are meaningless by people who want to keep their jobs and give us just enough to miss out on a dynamic playmaker but gives us another year of Pagano

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Well, this is evidence (at least in my mind) that perhaps Grigson and Pagano may not stay after this season.

Pagano's resume with the Colts is better than Fisher's with the Rams, so I don't think one relates to the other at all. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Pagano's resume with the Colts is better than Fisher's with the Rams, so I don't think one relates to the other at all. 

And of course the owners are different.  I'm not saying so much that Irsay will look at the Fisher situation and rethink his decision to sign them.  Irsay may be a lot of things, but a follower is not one of them.

No.  All I am saying is, while I think Irsay's decision to re-sign them certainly leads me to the conclusion that those two will be here another year, it's evidence (or perhaps reminder is a better word) that it is anything but binding.  While Pagano's resume is better, it's not anything to really brag about at this point.  I can't tell if this team is getting better or getting worse and after 5 years, that's reason enough to put him and Grigson in the same hot seat Fisher just got booted from, IMO. Could they bolster their case with one more year?  Sure.  Could they confirm what we already see unraveling before our eyes?  Absolutely.  So I'm pretty meh about what happens to them after this year.

1 minute ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I can't tell if this team is getting better or getting worse and after 5 years, that's reason enough to put him in the same hot seat Fisher just got booted from, IMO.

Agreed. Just saying I don't think there's any real correlation.

As for this part, I think the team has gotten worse since 2014, particularly when it comes to winning close games. That wasn't obvious in 2015 because Luck was hurt, but it's pretty obvious now, IMO. Keeping Pagano was defensible, certainly moreso than keeping Fisher. It's less defensible moving forward, even though it's probably what will happen.