Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay Putting His Butt On The Line....

cmgww

Like it or not....

At least I have to give props to Irsay for putting his own butt on the line with all these changes. Had he kept the regime in place, this Manning scenario (ugh so tired of hearing about it...but have to talk about it for this thread) would have put all the heat on Polian. He really was the face of the front office. Irsay was just a quirky owner who dressed up like Willa Wonka's and Elton John's combined clone and gave away SB rings, tweeted a lot, gave a ton of free stuff away, etc.

Now he has taken the bull by the horns, and made the changes necessary to move forward. He saw the status quo was not going to work going into the future and did something about it.

My biggest point is this. He could have easily hidden behind Polian if he wanted to. He didn't. I don't agree with calling out Peyton, not b/c he was right or wrong but b/c what media storm it created....gotta be smarter with that.

Now whatever decision he makes with regards to Manning/Luck is all on him. We all know that the buck stops with him and Grigson has little to no say in the matter. Pagano may have some input but not much.

So Irsay is going to take a ton of heat either way....and I respect him for that. He could have taken the easy road and kept "doing what we do" but I think he made the right call to clean house....

and before anyone flames me, please go back to the threads in mid December calling for the entire FO and coaching staff to be gone....there were many. So you got your wish.

Like it or not....

At least I have to give props to Irsay for putting his own butt on the line with all these changes. Had he kept the regime in place, this Manning scenario (ugh so tired of hearing about it...but have to talk about it for this thread) would have put all the heat on Polian. He really was the face of the front office. Irsay was just a quirky owner who dressed up like Willa Wonka's and Elton John's combined clone and gave away SB rings, tweeted a lot, gave a ton of free stuff away, etc.

Now he has taken the bull by the horns, and made the changes necessary to move forward. He saw the status quo was not going to work going into the future and did something about it.

My biggest point is this. He could have easily hidden behind Polian if he wanted to. He didn't. I don't agree with calling out Peyton, not b/c he was right or wrong but b/c what media storm it created....gotta be smarter with that.

Now whatever decision he makes with regards to Manning/Luck is all on him. We all know that the buck stops with him and Grigson has little to no say in the matter. Pagano may have some input but not much.

So Irsay is going to take a ton of heat either way....and I respect him for that. He could have taken the easy road and kept "doing what we do" but I think he made the right call to clean house....

and before anyone flames me, please go back to the threads in mid December calling for the entire FO and coaching staff to be gone....there were many. So you got your wish.

No..cm.....you're right...

..and I do like the fact that he seems so sure of himself...

....all these changes are on him...and if we become the Washington Bullets of the NFL...he'll carry that blunder till his time is up...

but if he can pull off a Manning to Luck transition (hopefully...in a couple of years) and have us with winning records while he's doing it...

.....he'll be a hero in Indy sports lore..

In my opinion, change was needed. Whether it was with Peyton or not. A lot of things had ran their course and were becoming old (Polian, defensive scheme, no run o, etc.). With Peyton's future as an NFL player in the air and the #1 pick in our hands, I feel Irsay took the risk and started over fresh. Do I disagree, no, I think it was a good decision. Only time will tell if it was the right the decision.

In my opinion, change was needed. Whether it was with Peyton or not. A lot of things had ran their course and were becoming old (Polian, defensive scheme, no run o, etc.). With Peyton's future as an NFL player in the air and the #1 pick in our hands, I feel Irsay took the risk and started over fresh. Do I disagree, no, I think it was a good decision. Only time will tell if it was the right the decision.

Yep.....3-4 more good years with everyone intact woulda been nice but it rarely ever works out that way.

I'm fine with these moves and I think we'll be back strong in a couple of seasons.

Yep.....3-4 more good years with everyone intact woulda been nice but it rarely ever works out that way.

I'm fine with these moves and I think we'll be back strong in a couple of seasons.

I understand what Irsay is doing also. He's trying to play both sides of the fence at the same time. If Manning is good to go for 3-4 more years, then he will have a good coaching staff and hopefully the players to go along with it (pending how we play the draft and FA), if Peyton is not good to go, then the next QB we acquire will have a good start with a strong coaching staff and high draft picks to start off fresh.

Irsay.....waited too long to put his "butt on the line" this is his team and I think he should have made changes 2-3 years ago. Like not put Caldwell, a rookie HC in charge.

For years I wanted change! I wanted Polian gone (because of his ego), I wanted a new defensive, I wanted a new coach, and some more.

I don't understand why some people are having trouble with Change? That is life everything goes through changes if we like them or not. To me it was long overdue! I don't understand why some are piling up on Mr. Irsay? He has a business to run and the NFL is a business. If a business has a lack luster or getting close, changes are needed to be made. The NFL and the Colts is a business. We don't know what is going on with Peyton we won't find out until March! But Mr. Irsay is a business owner, his business is the Indianapolis Colts. No one has a crystal ball to see what the Colts will look like in the future. Its just an wait and see game, I think we will be fine.

The fact is we have always been a lopsided/poor team and getting WORSE since 2006/2007.

We are long overdue for a substantial shake up. For better or worse, our team really CAN'T get any worse than it is. It's pathetic aside from a few players.

If Manning is 100% or close to it we'll just see more of the same - win the division and come up short against a solid team in the playoffs. We can't hope and pray the D decides to show up for another 3-4 game stretch like 2006 and do something constructive. Special teams are out of the question. This is assuming Peyton doesn't get killed behind our terrible O-line on the road to the playoffs.

Anyway, I'm glad Irsay took the reigns of his team and finally saw just how terrible we are/have been.

It's likely too late to build a solid TEAM during Manning's remaining time here, but if he has another year or two left in the tank then great. Whether Manning can play or not, build a solid TEAM over the next few seasons so that, when Luck DOES play, he'll have a one ready for him for (hopefully) long term success. If Manning can't go, then Luck will just get more experience right off the bat. We can't lose either way.

We're bottom of the barrel right now, and have been or close to it for quite some time - masked largely by ONE guy. Let's mix it up and try and build a football team instead of Peyton Manning, his assistants (Wayne, Dallas), the shotgun full of holes O-line, special ed teams, staring staff, and featherweight defense. Let's at least TRY!

Good on you, Irsay.

I agree I want a solid team. I think we were the Peyton's. And it was great at times. But, also very heart breaking. You can't rely on one man to win every game every season. And as he ages it just gets more difficult.

If Luck is our starter next year and in the future I do like the vision of Irsay right now with the new coaches. Build a balanced team. Give the QB something to lean on in big games if we get back to them again.

In some ways it was odd since this years Packers reminded me A LOT of those old Colts teams. Relying on your QB and receivers to win every game before falling to one and done vs. a more well balanced physical squad.

Outside of possibly losing Peyton, I am actually very happy with all the changes and the potential names being thrown around. I know some might disagree with this, but for a team that has won so many games, I feel they have actually underperformed. I believe we should have probably won at least 3 Super Bowls with the talent we have. Sure, the defense has been weak, but look where the Patriots are this year with their defense? I just got tired of every game, the Colts did the same offense, same defense, same gameplan. Nothing ever changed. Half time adjustments? Pretty much non-existant. And, again, I know people will say "Well, look how good we did!". And we did!!! But I would argue we could have been better. We were too predictable. It was too easy for things to go wrong. Get into the playoffs, and the teams the run and stop the run usually win. And that wasn't us.

So I am estatic to see out new HC with passion. To want to bring a defense the keeps the offense guessing. To hopefully see a BALANCED offense laying 32 points a game. To see a special teams that doesn't suck.

If I could have one wish, it would be that Peyton gets to see this as well. He has carried the team on his shoulders. This team has always been flawed. Over the years, how many times did we win the game on the last drive. There was far too little margin of error. Peyton couldn't bail us out this year. So lets see a better all around team built. I honestly think we have the talent to challenge for the SB next year.

Actually blueplague if the fans don't like the decisions the owner makes and the team becomes the cleveland browns do you really think irsay will actually be able to fill the seats in LOS. So while irsay makes the final decisions about our team, we pay the bills, and makes his team millions more in which he would never willingly give up, to me that makes the fans the boss he works for us.

Are you still going to give credit to him if we get worse? What if we are a sub-(.500) team 3 or 4 years after Luck starts playing? That's the most likely scenario, anyway. What if we turn into the Jets, where we are all smash-mouth talk, but we can't deliver results? What if Irsay becomes more like Jerry Jones where people are virtually afraid to work for him?

Just saying, all of these things could happen, or it could turn out to be a wild success.

Are you still going to give credit to him if we get worse? What if we are a sub-(.500) team 3 or 4 years after Luck starts playing? That's the most likely scenario, anyway. What if we turn into the Jets, where we are all smash-mouth talk, but we can't deliver results? What if Irsay becomes more like Jerry Jones where people are virtually afraid to work for him?

Just saying, all of these things could happen, or it could turn out to be a wild success.

True words.....Irsay is bold..

But Donald Trump is bold,. too..and he bankrupt up his businesses a couple of times..

Hopefully the SB in our future stands for SUPER BOWL and not SLIDE to the BASEMENT

I think the problem was the Polian - Dungy mix. Polian was forced (he didn't want Dungy, Irsay did) to find players to fit Dungy's Tampa 2 scheme. Polian decided what he would do was to spend all of the money on the offensive side and let Peyton get the lead and the defense to hold it. Every year, we had the youngest defense in the NFL. We gave away our best linebackers over the years because we didn't want to pay them. We would replace them with undrafted free agents and the sort. We were so successful that Irsay couldn't change.....until now. This was the perfect storm (actually a horrible storm) but the right time to start over. This time he wants to be balanced.

I feel that a number of unfortunate events brought us to the point we are today, and, as much good as they've done for the franchise over the past 10-12 years, I attribute the blame almost entirely to people with the last name of Polian.

For that reason, I understand why Irsay wanted to take his team back. Though I'm hoping he isn't the face of the team on a long term basis. I'm hoping that allows the new hires do what they were brought in to do, and allows them to take the team to the new era, with Irsay's input/support. I'm hoping he takes a step back after the SB, and further back after the Manning situation is resolved. I don't want him to be a Jones. I'd prefer something more like a Kraft, and let the football people make the football decisions, as a team.

This is, and will continue to be a difficult off-season. If Irsay can slowly step back a bit, it would avoid the perceived 'media circus' atmosphere surrounding the team right now, and make everyone's lives a bit easier.

This to shall pass.

That is the nature of the business. As fans, if this was to happen, we will blame him for whatever happens, but we will have to give him his respect and a pat on the back because he took the risk and did his best to give us Colts fans the best product we can get. It's a difference between a bad owner that makes dumb decision (Snyder, Jones, Davis, etc.) and an owner that will the necessary steps and risks to get better. Irsay is obviously the second one. Irsay isn't going out and signing the biggest the names and throwing out cash, he is building this team strategically and signing experienced personnel to lead this team.

Either way, Irsay will get props from me for trying (if it was to fail).

At this point he is an upgrade..but Caldwell was not. Despite of Caldwell, that 2009 team went to the Superbowl.

Yes, at this point.

Just don't forget, Pagano is now our rookie HC, and he'll likely make some of the same mistakes Caldwell did.

As a matter of fact, we also have a rookie GM, and he'll may make some mistakes.

If the rumors are true, we'll have a rookie DC as well.

Hopefully, they learn quickly.

Hopefully, we're patient.

Yes, at this point.

Just don't forget, Pagano is now our rookie HC, and he'll likely make some of the same mistakes Caldwell did.

As a matter of fact, we also have a rookie GM, and he'll may make some mistakes.

If the rumors are true, we'll have a rookie DC as well.

Hopefully, they learn quickly.

Hopefully, we're patient.

Rookie coaches with our rookie QB :)

I think after this past season.....we will have lots of patience. Anything is better than the debacle that was on the field Sunday after Sunday.

I kind of feel bad for Irsay because he is stuck between a rock and hard place with this decision.

We have so many Manning fans that unless we roll out the red carpet and treat him like a king they are going to walk away from the team. If he sticks with Manning we are just kicking the can down the road a bit and will be rebuilding in a few years.

If we move on from Manning now there will be a huge backlash on him unless Manning retires, but we will get to rebuild now with Luck. Of course this has the potential to have issues because Luck might have some rough spots his rookie and first year.

Irsay is probably praying that Manning just retires and we can transition this very smoothly.

What do you care? You won't be watching anyway.

Ok, so if he puts everything on his shoulders and it fails? Then what. He resigns and replaced himself with a circus clown that hands out whoopi cushions at every home game? The owner isnt supposed to be this involved in personal. I think Dallas is the example to how that just doesnt work.

I suppose it's a good thing that Jim Irsay is nothing like Jerry Jones then.

Irsay.....waited too long to put his "butt on the line" this is his team and I think he should have made changes 2-3 years ago. Like not put Caldwell, a rookie HC in charge.

Yeah, b/c two years ago the Colts were getting ready to play in the Super Bowl....asinine comment...They were rolling big time until the loss in the SB. TOTAL hindsight comment

I think the problem was the Polian - Dungy mix. Polian was forced (he didn't want Dungy, Irsay did) to find players to fit Dungy's Tampa 2 scheme. Polian decided what he would do was to spend all of the money on the offensive side and let Peyton get the lead and the defense to hold it. Every year, we had the youngest defense in the NFL. We gave away our best linebackers over the years because we didn't want to pay them. We would replace them with undrafted free agents and the sort. We were so successful that Irsay couldn't change.....until now. This was the perfect storm (actually a horrible storm) but the right time to start over. This time he wants to be balanced.

This is how I totally feel (except for the handicap the defense part). I feel like Irsay did not like the direction of the team, hence why we are signing all of these 3-4 coaches. Irsay could not criticize Polian and act because Polian's strategy was working. It was flawed but it was working, it was putting butts in the seats and we were competitive year in and year out. I feel that Irsay was so fed up with the way things were going, that this year was the one thing that finally pushed him to cut ties.

Yeah, b/c two years ago the Colts were getting ready to play in the Super Bowl....asinine comment...They were rolling big time until the loss in the SB. TOTAL hindsight comment

Asinine comments??? real mature. You didn't think we needed any changes??? Really..the GOAT of a QB and 1 ! SB win????

Nothing in the NFL lasts forever.

I give Irsay a ton of credit for identifying that at the very least, an era was winding down and in fact may already be over, and that neither an aging Bill Polian or his son were the right front office people to take the team forward..... especially with an ownership transfer to his daughter still somewhere on the horizon.

Some fans are slamming Irsay as being "hands-on" and morphing into Jerry Jones.... which is a huge overreaction and is just not accurate.

To my knowledge, Irsay has never over-imposed himself on the Colts draft decisions apart from the selection of Manning and probably Andrew Luck, if we take him.... and he's not superglued to the sidelines and rifling away with post-game comments at the end of Colts games like Jerry Jones is.

He has been mostly "hands-off".... allowing football people to do their jobs, and from what I can remember, has only inserted himself at the appropriate times.

In fact, I'm not sure how many instances I CAN remember.

Reinventing a team this completely is a change that only an owner can make, and I think it's the right thing to do.... and it appears that with Peyton Manning's injury/contract situation, the time is right. The dust-up last week probably could've been avoided by both sides.... but I'm giving them both a mulligan given the tough circumstances.

As for the Colts future..... I'm just gonna to sit back and enjoy the ride.

Nothing in the NFL lasts forever.

I give Irsay a ton of credit for identifying that at the very least, an era was winding down and in fact may already be over, and that neither an aging Bill Polian or his son were the right front office people to take the team forward..... especially with an ownership transfer to his daughter still somewhere on the horizon.

Some fans are slamming Irsay as being "hands-on" and morphing into Jerry Jones.... which is a huge overreaction and is just not accurate.

To my knowledge, Irsay has never over-imposed himself on the Colts draft decisions apart from the selection of Manning and probably Andrew Luck, if we take him.... and he's not superglued to the sidelines and rifling away with post-game comments at the end of Colts games like Jerry Jones is.

He has been mostly "hands-off".... allowing football people to do their jobs, and from what I can remember, has only inserted himself at the appropriate times.

In fact, I'm not sure how many instances I CAN remember.

Reinventing a team this completely is a change that only an owner can make, and I think it's the right thing to do.... and it appears that with Peyton Manning's injury/contract situation, the time is right. The dust-up last week probably could've been avoided by both sides.... but I'm giving them both a mulligan given the tough circumstances.

As for the Colts future..... I'm just gonna to sit back and enjoy the ride.

I hope we all can enjoy it

Actually blueplague if the fans don't like the decisions the owner makes and the team becomes the cleveland browns do you really think irsay will actually be able to fill the seats in LOS. So while irsay makes the final decisions about our team, we pay the bills, and makes his team millions more in which he would never willingly give up, to me that makes the fans the boss he works for us.

Go ahead and cancel your season tickets, I'm sure there are thousands of people lining up for that spot.