Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How hard is it to understand this?

VaAllDay757

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Bottom line is don't have to worry about this guy anymore

Unless Luck goes down again which is not beyond the realm of possibility with our offensive line. Tolzien actually played better than I expected him to tonight.  He wasn't the main problem. Offensive line is pathetic and defense game plan was stupid putting Vontae on AB all night with no safety help. 

3 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Really? This fool was not comfortable in the pocket at all that's why he kept overthrowing certain passes he's just not good and who taught him on how to slide he kept going head first he almost ended up with a concussion I'm glad his time is done

For starters we don't know if his time is done.  There were reports this morning that said the Colts aren't sure when Luck will be back.  Collinsworth said tonight from experience the kind of hit Luck took last week with the whiplash effect causes the worst concussions he's had.  So we all hope he's back next Monday but we don't know that he will be.

Tolzien played about as well as you can expect a backup to play when he has a bad line in front of him, little to no support on the ground, WRs dropping the ball, and being down double digits most of the night against a blitz happy team that knew he had to throw.  Was he perfect?  No.  would Morris have done better?  I highly doubt it.

First TD on vontae no safety help and 2nd TD on vontae still no safety ya'll really think vontae is ok without the safety help against speedy receivers???? Again chuck failed with playcalling and tolzein?? I'm not even gonna start there 

Davis was banged up which makes it even more mind blowing that the Colts weren't giving him help.  Brown has killed you now in three straight games.  You have to take him away and make the Steelers beat you either with picture perfect throws to Brown or anyone else on the roster.

This goes back to Chuck doing what he believes in rather than adjusting to what's happening.  I think it's his biggest weakness.  He's too stubborn to adjust when something clearly isn't working.  

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Davis was banged up which makes it even more mind blowing that the Colts weren't giving him help.  Brown has killed you now in three straight games.  You have to take him away and make the Steelers beat you either with picture perfect throws to Brown or anyone else on the roster.

This goes back to Chuck doing what he believes in rather than adjusting to what's happening.  I think it's his biggest weakness.  He's too stubborn to adjust when something clearly isn't working.  

Take away brown then bell will kill us. 20 rushes and there were no TFL's :facepalm:

2 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Take away brown then bell will kill us. 20 rushes and there were no TFL's :facepalm:

Then that's what you do, make them do something different rather than letting them beat you the same way for three straight games with no changes on defense.  I am not saying it would have worked but clearly the way they play defense against the Steelers and Brown isn't working so they need to try something else rather than letting the same guy kill you the same way everytime.

He's just not a good quarterback and it showed tonight alot of plays were off of yards after the catch

Well we can clearly see the team overall isn't good, at all, but Chuck will have them back in action after their celebratory picnic tomorrow.  They just need to keep chuckin away. 

Scott tonight was the least of the teams worries.  He's not exactly going to hoist a very bad team on his shoulders like Luck sometimes can.  

4 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

For starters we don't know if his time is done.  There were reports this morning that said the Colts aren't sure when Luck will be back.  Collinsworth said tonight from experience the kind of hit Luck took last week with the whiplash effect causes the worst concussions he's had.  So we all hope he's back next Monday but we don't know that he will be.

Tolzien played about as well as you can expect a backup to play when he has a bad line in front of him, little to no support on the ground, WRs dropping the ball, and being down double digits most of the night against a blitz happy team that knew he had to throw.  Was he perfect?  No.  would Morris have done better?  I highly doubt it.

Luck will be back for the next game they don't play until next monday he can pass the protocol by then if he could finish the game sunday I don't see why not plus making the playoffs is a slim chance now they want to win

9 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

First TD on vontae no safety help and 2nd TD on vontae still no safety ya'll really think vontae is ok without the safety help against speedy receivers???? Again chuck failed with playcalling and tolzein?? I'm not even gonna start there 

Yeah, the coaching is terrible. The play calling is terrible the decisions are terrible. I mean you haven't run the ball all night and then you think you're going to run the ball on the 1-yard line. Do play action and there will be a receiver wide open in the end zone.Yeah, no help for Vontae these coaches don't know what there doing.

It's very frustrating for us fans to see these coaches make stupid decisions.  I want these guys out of here immediately.

Geathers was injured, Butler played at safety. He did a decent job there, when he played there before, but he's not a safety. Antonio Brown cannot be neutralized with 1 on 1 coverage, he'll beat any corner in this league, not just Vontae. Our corners needed safety help, but if we play deep safety, the middle of the field opens up, and Roethlisberger tears the defense apart with play action / read option mixing running plays with short to intermediate TE/RB passes to the middle. So the Colts had to move the safety up near the los to contain the running game and cover the middle of the field, because our LB's are subpar at coverage. So, Pagano (or whoever called the def plays) were very much limited in what they could do. There is just not enough talent and experience there to stop this Steelers offense atm, no matter what is the scheme or play calling. This Colts defense need to be upgraded (and our young guys need to develop) first in certain positions.

Really? This fool was not comfortable in the pocket at all that's why he kept overthrowing certain passes he's just not good and who taught him on how to slide he kept going head first he almost ended up with a concussion I'm glad his time is done

Quote, "Tolzien was not the problem". The hapless Colts or "Colts" may be more appropriate, removed all doubt as to their incompetency last night. 

9 hours ago, krunk said:

Yeah but you're pointing the finger at Davis. I didnt say anything about the coach. I do agree he should have had help

LAST week against the Titans Davis got beat over the top for a long td pass with NO safety help and it was hinted that he had a ankle injury YET he was left on an island then as well as last night over and OVER again which aided in the loss!!! That my friend is BAD coaching ESPECIALLY from a hc who was a former dc and supposedly a secondary guru.

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Luck will be back for the next game they don't play until next monday he can pass the protocol by then if he could finish the game sunday I don't see why not plus making the playoffs is a slim chance now they want to win

Him wanting to play because they need to win has nothing to do with passing the protocol.  Still I agree it's likely he plays but it's not a sure thing.

It may feel nice to pin the loss on Vontae, but he only played 1 and 1/2 quarters going out for the rest of the game with a groin injury.

From where I sit, Our safety help isn't good enough to help on a #1.  And trying opens up the TE Jesse James (taking over for Heath Miller) LaVeon Bell underneath.  And sometimes, in order to beat a team, you need your #1 corner to neutralize their #1 receiver, or the game plan win match ups elsewhere breakdown.

After 11 games, the Colts give up 27.4 points per game.  Exactly what the Steelers got last night. (28)

If our Offense cant get 4 or more TD's a game, we stand a very good chance of putting up an L on the board- whether Davis is healthy, hurt, or not playing at all (and he's been all of those this year).

Another thing.  Once a game plan is developed for a specific opponent (supposedly a well researched and though out plan that uses your team strengths to is maximum, and trying to minimize problems in match ups to the other side), the players practice those plays chosen to work best. And they study opponents offensive film film for proper D alignments and reading keys for what play is being run. It's done this way so players 'react' in game time, and not have to 'think', which slows a player down.  If you change schemes / strategy mid game, it still may not work for you if the changes weren't incorporated into the prior week practice.

We are a team that will give up 4 TD's a game it seems, and we just have to face it.  We are what our record says we are, and on no one single player can the albatross be consistently be hung around for all of it; as it appears many have done to Vontae this last game.

{IE:  take away Vontae's 14 points given up, and assume the other Colts players would have done much better than Davis keepiong Brown out of the end zone.  The Steeler's still scored 14, and Colts only 7.  I'd concentrate on the two times Colts didn't score deep in Red Zone.  With those, the Davis issue becomes a little more relevant.}

11 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

You want to complain about the plan for Brown - got no issue with that.

But the Tolzien stuff just strikes me as you foolishly trying to maintain your narrative from yesterday, which is just nonsense.  Tolzien was the least of the issues last night.  He played well in fact but the guys around him let him down.

Tolzien managed the game. He moved us down the field several times including 3 times inside the 5. The O line and receivers let us down and Pagano cannot seem to take a page out of Belichick's page and take away their top options Brown and Bell. We did neither, Even with Luck out this game had possibilities so what more can you ask of Tolzien. He left out to dry 

I just gotta think anybody with a hangnail or greater should have sat last night.  I mean did the Colts brass REALLY think they were going to beat the Steelers with Tolzien?  Really?  So why not give them 11 more days to heal up?  Instead they probably made things worse.  Vontae shouldn't have been out there IMHO.  That was problem #1.  Who cares if Pitt wins 52-0 or 28-7?  Same outcome.  Now they may not be even close to healthy even if Luck is back for NYC.  The decisions this management continues to make just leaves me smh.

14 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

You want to complain about the plan for Brown - got no issue with that.

But the Tolzien stuff just strikes me as you foolishly trying to maintain your narrative from yesterday, which is just nonsense.  Tolzien was the least of the issues last night.  He played well in fact but the guys around him let him down.

There should've been a better gameplan for tolzien period he wasn't built for that type of game he's not good sorry

First of all Monachino calls our defensive plays. That isn't on Pags, that's on Teddy.

Secondly, Vontae has been hurt, pretty badly. I give him mad respect for suiting up on a short week to recover. 

And third, Antonio Brown is a top 3 receiver in the league going up against a healthy scratch Vontae who didn't make it to the end of the game.

I was actually quite proud of Tolzein today. Dude hung in. Tough kid.

Calm down. Eat some food. Have a beer.  

There should've been a better gameplan for tolzien period he wasn't built for that type of game he's not good sorry

If Allen, Hilton, Moncrief, & Dorsett catch the passes thrown to them, does the game plan get better?

Gotta be honest. I'm kind of tired of Vontae being hurt and then people rushing to say "well he's clearly playing hurt ". Maybe he's Josh Norman. He overachieved in a contract year but is really just solid, not great.

Plus the injury thing is getting old now. He's always either going out in the middle of a game or missing one. 

7 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

That is a whole lot of hot garbage.

16 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Because Vontae on an island is a heck of a lot better than leaving whoever is on the other side alone without safety help and theres not 1 safety in the world good enough to cover the entire backfield.  you are asking, therefore, to have 2 safeties in coverage, which is fine, but then you are leaving our line backers in 1 on 1 coverage with tight ends and/or wideouts, and you surely dont mean to be asking for this.  so why not go zone coverage? well we could, but zones typically break down quicker than man coverage and since we have little to no pass rush, it wont be very effective.

Understand now?

4 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

You are kidding, yes?  Or you're just being facetious.  You do understand the difference between a play book, a game plan, and play calling, do you not?  A game plan is a pared down list from the play book of the plays your team is quite successful at (based upon current personnel) , whittled down to the ones (often around 100) that the opponent may also have difficulty stopping / defending.  These plays are taken and addressed for potential situations.  Since ther is no time to practice 100 plays, it gets further to around 40-50 'core' plays because that is all the time there is to practice them with enough repetitions. Then that colorful laminate card you OC's and often DC's have on the sidelines covering their mouth wile they bark in the next play over the QB's headset gets created.  It is further sorted by down and distance. If the game plan is correct I expect to be at least on par with your opponent in Time of Possession, passing yards, rushing yards (essentially total yard  mostly), passing yards per attempt, etc... and looking over all that I'm pleased at the numbers compared to the Steelers.

Play calling comes down to situational football.  On the fly and in the flow moments, except at the beginning where many teams have the first 10-15 plays "scripted". On those colorful cards those OC's use are specific plays the team often excels at in specific down and distance situations. Special editions exist for Red Zone situations. They are to take of advantage of your teams, as well as the other teams tendencies in situations.  Getting the right play off that chart into the game at the right time is play calling.  That whole chart is the 'game plan' and if you need to scrap that, you are deep manure indeed.

The OC is also to figure out through the game what works and what hasn't thus, when yo get into a situation later that's more critical, you can call on a play that looks like they got stuffed on earlier, but actually goes to another action hoping to catch the D off guard.  Sometimes the D can guess the change if their is some type of change in body actions of the Offense tipping it off. etc..  It's the OC getting a 'feel' of the 'flow' of the game. You can also run a play they didn't work earlier out of a different formation that may trick the opponent and then does work.  But is all comes form the game plan from above.  The whole playbook is not open, regardless of what you hear.  There will always be a player (off the practice squad, traded for etc.) that doesn't know the whole playbook and to add in a play they don't know nor nobody practiced that week is dangerous.  Look at our failure on the most famous fake punt that ever wasn't for confirmation of this.

The game plan doesn't really change, but how the game plan gets implement during the game may very well.  Good game planning allows a team, via good play calling, to get you into first and goal situations often, poor play calling doesn't allow you to capitalize on those 1st and goal situations.

Then there is the final part- execution.  No amount of good game planning or good play calling can overcome poor execution.

It's really even more complicated, but that's the workweek in essence, of an NFL team. And the difference between a play book, a game plan, and game calling.

We should have never left points off the board. Just kick the damn ball! 7 points turns into 10 points, which turns into 13 points! Would we have still lost? Perhaps, but always get the points! Come on man! I was so embarrassed in a house hold of "Cowboys, Giants, and Patriots fans! (I have a diverse family)

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Because Vontae on an island is a heck of a lot better than leaving whoever is on the other side alone without safety help and theres not 1 safety in the world good enough to cover the entire backfield.  you are asking, therefore, to have 2 safeties in coverage, which is fine, but then you are leaving our line backers in 1 on 1 coverage with tight ends and/or wideouts, and you surely dont mean to be asking for this.  so why not go zone coverage? well we could, but zones typically break down quicker than man coverage and since we have little to no pass rush, it wont be very effective.

Understand now?

Zone coverage? It won't be effective at all because our corners are primarily good at man coverage aside from robinson who played more zone coverage with the chargers but it's a thing called disguising the defense which they never do make it look like one safety over the top and the second one drops back as well right at the snap.....people keep talking about how hurt vontae that should be more of reason to keep a safety om his side

45 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

You are kidding, yes?  Or you're just being facetious.  You do understand the difference between a play book, a game plan, and play calling, do you not?  A game plan is a pared down list from the play book of the plays your team is quite successful at (based upon current personnel) , whittled down to the ones (often around 100) that the opponent may also have difficulty stopping / defending.  These plays are taken and addressed for potential situations.  Since ther is no time to practice 100 plays, it gets further to around 40-50 'core' plays because that is all the time there is to practice them with enough repetitions. Then that colorful laminate card you OC's and often DC's have on the sidelines covering their mouth wile they bark in the next play over the QB's headset gets created.  It is further sorted by down and distance. If the game plan is correct I expect to be at least on par with your opponent in Time of Possession, passing yards, rushing yards (essentially total yard  mostly), passing yards per attempt, etc... and looking over all that I'm pleased at the numbers compared to the Steelers.

Play calling comes down to situational football.  On the fly and in the flow moments, except at the beginning where many teams have the first 10-15 plays "scripted". On those colorful cards those OC's use are specific plays the team often excels at in specific down and distance situations. Special editions exist for Red Zone situations. They are to take of advantage of your teams, as well as the other teams tendencies in situations.  Getting the right play off that chart into the game at the right time is play calling.  That whole chart is the 'game plan' and if you need to scrap that, you are deep manure indeed.

The OC is also to figure out through the game what works and what hasn't thus, when yo get into a situation later that's more critical, you can call on a play that looks like they got stuffed on earlier, but actually goes to another action hoping to catch the D off guard.  Sometimes the D can guess the change if their is some type of change in body actions of the Offense tipping it off. etc..  It's the OC getting a 'feel' of the 'flow' of the game. You can also run a play they didn't work earlier out of a different formation that may trick the opponent and then does work.  But is all comes form the game plan from above.  The whole playbook is not open, regardless of what you hear.  There will always be a player (off the practice squad, traded for etc.) that doesn't know the whole playbook and to add in a play they don't know nor nobody practiced that week is dangerous.  Look at our failure on the most famous fake punt that ever wasn't for confirmation of this.

The game plan doesn't really change, but how the game plan gets implement during the game may very well.  Good game planning allows a team, via good play calling, to get you into first and goal situations often, poor play calling doesn't allow you to capitalize on those 1st and goal situations.

Then there is the final part- execution.  No amount of good game planning or good play calling can overcome poor execution.

It's really even more complicated, but that's the workweek in essence, of an NFL team. And the difference between a play book, a game plan, and game calling.

If you really think the gameplan will be the same with a backup you are sadly mistaken when the steelers lost big ben for a couple of games they had to change their gameplan they went more run heavy and less passing just let the backup qb do enough for a first down if the running game is on point no team will stick with the same gameplan id their starting qb is not playing that would be foolish

17 hours ago, snkdy said:

The pass on 4th and 1 in the redzone was thrown behind Chester Rodgers, yes, but the other one should have been caught by Dorsett.

Tolzien actually threw that ball in the only place he could have without it being intercepted.  He couldn't lead the receiver because there was a defender right there.  

7 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

LAST week against the Titans Davis got beat over the top for a long td pass with NO safety help and it was hinted that he had a ankle injury YET he was left on an island then as well as last night over and OVER again which aided in the loss!!! That my friend is BAD coaching ESPECIALLY from a hc who was a former dc and supposedly a secondary guru.

What exactly are you quoting me for? My comments clearly say he should have had help.

1 hour ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Zone coverage? It won't be effective at all because our corners are primarily good at man coverage aside from robinson who played more zone coverage with the chargers but it's a thing called disguising the defense which they never do make it look like one safety over the top and the second one drops back as well right at the snap.....people keep talking about how hurt vontae that should be more of reason to keep a safety om his side

To the bolded. i agree, thats why i said it. the point you are missing os when you shift coverage towards one player, you're exposing someone else. and id rather vontae be left to fend for himself than pretty much any other cb or lb. 

13 hours ago, krunk said:

What exactly are you quoting me for? My comments clearly say he should have had help.

Krunk I was quoting you to piggy back off your statement about Davis needing help because I agree with you :thmup: and was simply pointing out that the SAME thing happened in the prior week Titan game. While I admire Davis for trying to play hurt with the ankle (as hinted LAST week) it's up to the coaching staff to provide safety help over the top IF they're going to put Davis injured or ANYONE else out there against Brown (who happens to arguably be the best wr in the game today) one on one.

The defensive gameplan SHOULD start with trying to take away one of their best weapons in Brown. Funny how Stephen A Smith on Friday's (First Take) show could laugh about the Colts foolish strategy to cover Brown in single coverage for MOST of the game resulting in Brown's 3 td day.

Some Colt fans are starting to point the finger at the ROOKIE dc for some of the defensive woes like the play calling BUT it was Chuck who personally HAND PICKED his buddy Ted for the job. I guess some are just naïve when it comes to believing that Chuck as hc and alleged "defensive guru" has NO say so or INPUT into what goes on with the defensive side of the ball ESPECIALLY with a FIRST time dc who if things don't go well can just as EASILY become another scapegoat MASKING the true problem in Grigs (talent), Pagano (coaching) and Irsay for signing off to 4 more yrs of this EXPERIMENT gone bad.....

16 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

If you really think the gameplan will be the same with a backup you are sadly mistaken when the steelers lost big ben for a couple of games they had to change their gameplan they went more run heavy and less passing just let the backup qb do enough for a first down if the running game is on point no team will stick with the same gameplan id their starting qb is not playing that would be foolish

I never said it was, in fact, you evidently missed this from my post- 

" A game plan is a pared down list from the play book of the plays your team is quite successful at (based upon current personnel) , whittled down to the ones (often around 100) that the opponent may also have difficulty stopping / defending"

The game plan is prepared for each team weekly based upon who is on your roster and their ability and also information from what the advanced scouts have determined your opponent is doing over the last 4 weeks or so. Most of the roster doesn't change, so a good portion of a game plan will be similar as it is all taken from the master play book anyway.  It's what plays, how, and when they get run that tells about changes.

Just checking a couple stats, I see plenty of evidence their was adjustments made to the game plan and play calling.  Luck averages 37.5 passes per game and 7.54 yards per attempt.  Tolzein threw it 36 times, with only a 5.7 yards per attempt average.  Both with about the same completion %

A. Luck -     37.5 pass / gm   7.54 yds/att   282.7 yds / gm  62.9% comp

S. Tolzein    36  pass / gm      5.7 yds/att    205   yds / gm   61.1% comp

Unfortunately, that is what we are... a 35-40 pass per game team. Our running game isn't as teams like the Steelers and can carry us. Thus the remainder running plays.  But the type of passing plays between these two QB's is clearly drawn up different... safer and shorter for Tolzein... what many have called for Luck to do. Or you can get into a big debate about how Andrew will not look off his #1 and go through progressions to the open guy where Tolzein probably dropped off his number 1 too early and would take a check down too early... whatever floats your boat.  But there is no denying it was not the same, for any reason.

Without further investigation, I already know there was adjustments to the game plan to accommodate Tolzein.  You're just miffed because Luck had to miss his start, the play calls at times didn't work out as planned and sometimes our players just are not good enough yet to beat the guy in front of him on a  consistent basis and make a good play call a success it was designed to be.

I heard some coaches and up level F.O. people talk over NFL radio recently and said, there is never a bad play.  They are all drawn up to succeed in some fashion.  There is just poor execution of the play.  Of course, I think we fans know the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

1 hour ago, bluephantom87 said:

Krunk I was quoting you to piggy back off your statement about Davis needing help because I agree with you :thmup: and was simply pointing out that the SAME thing happened in the prior week Titan game. While I admire Davis for trying to play hurt with the ankle (as hinted LAST week) it's up to the coaching staff to provide safety help over the top IF they're going to put Davis injured or ANYONE else out there against Brown (who happens to arguably be the best wr in the game today) one on one.

The defensive gameplan SHOULD start with trying to take away one of their best weapons in Brown. Funny how Stephen A Smith on Friday's (First Take) show could laugh about the Colts foolish strategy to cover Brown in single coverage for MOST of the game resulting in Brown's 3 td day.

Some Colt fans are starting to point the finger at the ROOKIE dc for some of the defensive woes like the play calling BUT it was Chuck who personally HAND PICKED his buddy Ted for the job. I guess some are just naïve when it comes to believing that Chuck as hc and alleged "defensive guru" has NO say so or INPUT into what goes on with the defensive side of the ball ESPECIALLY with a FIRST time dc who if things don't go well can just as EASILY become another scapegoat MASKING the true problem in Grigs (talent), Pagano (coaching) and Irsay for signing off to 4 more yrs of this EXPERIMENT gone bad.....

Its always bad when you lose. They've had some good games too. Game was still winnable and even I know we need a few more pieces on the D. Correct and move on. Bad strategy there for sure, but they've also showed good things lately as well. Personally I thought we should have went with a lot of Cover 2 man and zone looks and played very little single high. I think Ted will be fine.

The only real good news from the game is we found out we have a very capable backup QB.  If it wasn't for all the drops and the missed FG we actually could have won this game.  And that's after all the OL injuries and the dumb defensive game planning. Did he miss some throws?  Sure he did but I see Luck overthrowing receivers way too many times for being one of the top QB's in the league.  Too many for my liking. Tolzien can move this team.  Like all QB's he needs his teammates to catch the ball.  I'm glad we signed him for two years.  Now if the Chargers can beat Houston, and our guys get healthy, we are ready to get hot and take our division and enter the playoffs on a winning streak.