Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

"sources" Manning Is Not Progressing/more Than Likely Retire (Merge)

SilentHill

According to this expert Manning should have been recovered by mid November or so? His timetable is about 12 weeks which is what jives with NSURG's comments about muscle strength returning in 3 months. We are now at February and not hearing good reports. Not looking good at all.

whats the problem? the surgery worked. his neck is fused. the thing now is getting his arm strength back and nerve regeneration. no one knows where he at with that now because he stated no more updates for recovery timetable.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the problem? the surgery worked. his neck is fused. the thing now is getting his arm strength back and nerve regeneration. no one knows where he at with that now because he stated no more updates for recovery timetable.

NSURG said arm strength should return in 3 months. It's been almost twice that long. Sometimes the strength never comes back all the way if there has been nerve damage.

The article stated from my understanding and adding up all the weeks; Manning could be back on the field in 13 weeks (MAX). It's been a lot longer than 13 weeks. I recall many saying he would be back late in the season at some point and could play depending on the Colts record and if they were in the playoff hunt. Fast forward to today, its almost been 5 months.

The article stated from my understanding and adding up all the weeks; Manning could be back on the field in 13 weeks (MAX). It's been a lot longer than 13 weeks. I recall many saying he would be back late in the season at some point and could play depending on the Colts record and if they were in the playoff hunt. Fast forward to today, its almost been 5 months.

When did he have the surgery? August? I think it's been over 5 months.

http://twitter.com/si_peterking

SI_PeterKing Peter King

Saturday night on phone, @JimIrsay was like a kid on Christmas Eve. Couldn't wait to open his gifts. "We're so ready,'' he said.

1 hour ago

SI_PeterKing Peter King

Problem w/this Manning speculation--Jets, Dolphs, Cards, Skins, etc.--is you're all putting cart before horse. May not be able to play.

1 hour ago

SI_PeterKing Peter King

RT @DennisCultice: Latest on Peyton? ... Irsay strongly denies nfl.com sty, PM struggling to get healthy, Gil Brandt's gut is he's done.

4 hours ago

??? Why would I trust your opinion over a neurosurgeon that is an expert in the field?

How about this neurosurgeon?

Dr. Wellington K. Hsu, an assistant professor at Northwestern University with a joint appointment in the department of orthopaedic surgery and department of neurological surgery, spoke with NFL.com on Thursday to shed light on the path facing

Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, who'srecovering from his third neck procedure in 19 months.

Dr. Hsu has been recognized as an international leader in the operative treatment of cervical and lumbar degenerative disorders, motion-sparing technology and spinal cord injuries, and he has published a number of studies focused on NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL players.

The Colts confirmed Thursday that Manning underwent single level anterior fusion surgery (which usually involves making an incision in the front of the neck, removing soft disk tissue between the vertebrae and fusing the bones together with a graft). Being a quarterback, will Manning face special challenges?

The quarterbacks in my study did quite well after this particular surgery that Peyton Manning had. Quarterbacks fare pretty well compared to other positions because they can predetermine their movements. Defensive backs and linebackers need to react differently. (QBs) don't rely on neck range of motion as much as a defensive back or linebacker. ... The wide receivers in my study also did pretty well after neck fusion. It really depends on position when it comes to prognosis.

Was this an injury that Manning could have possibly played through?

You can play through it if it's just pain. I don't know Peyton Manning's case specifically, but if it led to weakness that was affecting his arm velocity, surgery would be needed to get back to his normal level of play.

The Colts haven't set any timetable for Manning's return. When can the team reasonably expect to see him back on the field?

In general, depending on his surgery, depending on the graft he had, most surgeons would let him get back to training in six to eight weeks. And depending on rehab, another four weeks after that -- plus or minus a week or so -- he could be back on the field. That's a general timetable I would give for a high-level athlete like Manning.

Is Manning facing any additional risks when he does return?

There's never been a reported risk of catastrophic injury after this surgery, but there is a risk of having a problem develop at another level. Assuming he had one level fused, other areas of the neck could be affected by arthritis. There is only a 5 percent risk of a second operation in a player's career.

Manning doesn't seem to be in unchartered territory. Is that fair to say?

This is a pretty common surgery in professional and NFL players, and they do better than what many people think. I've heard people say it's really hard to get back from a neck injury, how if you have surgery, you don't come back, but that's simply not true. I think Peyton, being the stalwart that he is, playing the position that he does, has a very, very good prognosis for coming back.

from nfl.com

Once it comes from Irsay or PM, that he will be cut, retire, or play, that's will I will believe it. How many said Caldwell was staying, or Tressel had the job? How many of these so-called experts have been right up to this point? The only reliable sources on this matter is Irsay & Manning, no one else!

I've already seen that. OK....he was 99% sure weeks ago. What is he supposed to say when it going to be a very unpopular decision?

If he had made the decision, then Manning would be gone. That would give he and the Colts enough time to move forward. They wouldn't wait for the sake of waiting if the decision had already been made. That's far worse to keep the fans waiting. Besides, I don't think it would be too unpopular. All of the media and 3/4 of the fans here want him gone for some reason.

I would prefer him to retire than see him play elswhere. This is just me being a spoiled Colts fan. It would be very difficult to watch him play for a team like the Jets etc. But with all the media wooohooo going on, changes to our coaching staff it wouldnt surprise me if he was released. It seems like we are headed in a completly new direction which I happen to like. I just wishes these coaching changes were made sooner, to really showcase Peytons ablilities with an actual defense behind him. The sky could have been the limit

I hope this isn't true. This would be a terrible way for Manning's career to come to an end.

IMO, I'd rather he retire as a colt over the next couple of weeks than get released (and then retire) or play out the last couple of seasons with someone else.

This has been my gut feeling for awhile, not that it matters.

I was thinking and I'd guess that Peyton's desire to play is strong enough, but say he is healthy and he gets cut. Would his potential new contract look anything like it does now? Probably not. Just a thought.

IMO, I'd rather he retire as a colt over the next couple of weeks than get released (and then retire) or play out the last couple of seasons with someone else.

That is one of the most selfish things I've heard on this board. You'd rather him be forced into premature retirement when he clearly wants to keep playing than for him to have the opportunity to finish out his career on his own terms?

I still feel that this would be best not only for the Colts but for peyton as well. I realise that we have hired Arians however I'm thinking the Colts can still give Manning a position as QB Coach so at least he could mentor Luck. that way we as fans would get what we wanted. Both Manning and Luck on sidelines

They mention Gil Brandt as the family friend who says he's likely to retire. Just how close of a family friend is he? Doesn't strike me as someone Peyton would confide in.

Gil Brandt seems to be very well respected and is an old school football guy that would not just throw random thoughts out there. IMO.

I still feel that this would be best not only for the Colts but for peyton as well. I realise that we have hired Arians however I'm thinking the Colts can still give Manning a position as QB Coach so at least he could mentor Luck. that way we as fans would get what we wanted. Both Manning and Luck on sidelines

If PM wants that gig or any other part with the team , I am sure all he has to do is ask.

I might sound ridiculous but I just don't see Manning coaching. With his personality and family, I see him being an analyst or commentator (what ever you want to call them). It's a lot less time consuming which gives him more time to be the family man. Just my opinion.

This. It's too soon if true. He won't coach until he has some time to let this sink in. He's a competitor, and this is going to sting.

They mention Gil Brandt as the family friend who says he's likely to retire. Just how close of a family friend is he? Doesn't strike me as someone Peyton would confide in.

Gil Brandt seems to be very well respected and is an old school football guy that would not just throw random thoughts out there. IMO.

if he was close enough of a friend to know this, then he would not have told the media!!! If it is not true then he needs to shutup, if it is true then he is a jerk.

if he was close enough of a friend to know this, then he would not have told the media!!! If it is not true then he is an dipstick, if it is true he is a jerk.

He is in the media, and who said he was told not to say anything. If you are in the media and get a report like this and you don't act on it i AM SURE YOU WOULD BE FIRED.