Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster Moves

TKnight24

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Man Grigson is always signing gems.  Colts need pass rush help so they sign a guy that has 0 sacks in 53 games.... awesome.

Yeah I don't know why he'd take such a player when there is a plethora of proven pass rushers sitting around waiting for some team to call.

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Yeah I don't know why he'd take such a player when there is a plethora of proven pass rushers sitting around waiting for some team to call.

That's just it, the time to address it is NOT heading into week 6 of the season.  It's not like lack of a pass rush is a new issue that just sprang up in the last couple of weeks because of injury.  It's an ongoing thing because Grigs keeps signing guys like Carter.

There is not a lot out there to sign, that is true, so why not just use some nobody from the practice squad rather than signing some nobody to come in and do nothing.

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That's just it, the time to address it is NOT heading into week 6 of the season.

Completely agree. 

"There is not a lot out there to sign, that is true, so why not just use some nobody from the practice squad rather than signing some nobody to come in and do nothing."

Maybe they have reason to believe that carter might be able to do more than nothing. And Bates more than likely clears waivers and goes back to the PS and he can be brought back up if carter does nothing.  The odds of us actually losing Bates are incredibly low.

4 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Completely agree. 

"There is not a lot out there to sign, that is true, so why not just use some nobody from the practice squad rather than signing some nobody to come in and do nothing."

Maybe they have reason to believe that carter might be able to do more than nothing. And Bates more than likely clears waivers and goes back to the PS and he can be brought back up if carter does nothing.  The odds of us actually losing Bates are incredibly low.

Or maybe Grigson is just in way over his head when it comes to being a GM.

Or maybe Grigson is just in way over his head when it comes to being a GM.

that does seem to be the prevailing theory around here.  And I'm sure we're all SUPER GLAD that another thread got derailed to point that out.  :thmup:

Chris Carter was on the team in 2014. Similar to Bates, he'll only play special teams.

As for Frankie Williams, I liked what I saw in the pre-season and he graded well on PFF (I take it with a grain of salt, but still...). 

The Ravens site spoke about his strength and capacity to bull rush from the OLB position. We actually need more of that as a balance to those who try to speed rush around the edge. Pushing the tackle backward into the QB can create havoc. I know, I've watched what it does to our QB's...

I also thought Frankie Williams had a notable preseason. I think he has some pretty sticky coverage skills.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That's just it, the time to address it is NOT heading into week 6 of the season.  It's not like lack of a pass rush is a new issue that just sprang up in the last couple of weeks because of injury.  It's an ongoing thing because Grigs keeps signing guys like Carter.

There is not a lot out there to sign, that is true, so why not just use some nobody from the practice squad rather than signing some nobody to come in and do nothing.

So Grigson should just not try to keep finding players who might be able to help? Brilliant thought process.

14 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So Grigson should just not try to keep finding players who might be able to help? Brilliant thought process.

I have no problem if Grigson tries signs players that might help.  

The problem is that is not what he is doing, he is finding players that we ALL know WON'T help.  How do we know he won't help?  Because he has had 53 games to prove he can help with 4 different teams and he hasn't proven he can do that and the Colts coaching staff is not the type that can teach a player how to play better in their scheme.

But, if I'm wrong and Carter comes in and plays solid snaps for the Colts, just think how much fun you guys will have bringing up this thread and asking me how I like my crow.

I have no problem if Grigson tries signs players that might help.  

The problem is that is not what he is doing, he is finding players that we ALL know WON'T help.  How do we know he won't help?  Because he has had 53 games to prove he can help with 4 different teams and he hasn't proven he can do that and the Colts coaching staff is not the type that can teach a player how to play better in their scheme.

But, if I'm wrong and Carter comes in and plays solid snaps for the Colts, just think how much fun you guys will have bringing up this thread and asking me how I like my crow.

I think our most of our coaching staff can teach so I don't get where you can say that.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

I think our most of our coaching staff can teach so I don't get where you can say that.

You're right somewhat, I should have been more specific on the D side of the ball... I think the WR and TE coaches are good, the new QB coach seems to be good and the kicker/punt coach seems to be good.  The RB coach and Philbin are still question marks.

Easy, what free agent have they brought in that has significantly improved during their time with the Colts?  Vontae Davis...  and Erik Walden that's it

Mike Adams has played well but he played well before he came to the Colts.

DQ has played well, but he hasn't improved.

Sio Moore was a solid rotational LB with the Raiders

Same with Irving, he was a 2 down LB in Denver.

Toler got worse with the Colts and is now providing some solid snaps in Washington

Robinson was considered one of the top CBs in free agency this year.

Trent Cole was a 6-8 sack a year player

Art Jones was considered a top dline prospect when the Colts signed him

Langford is about the same as he was before he signed.

The list goes on.

10 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You're right somewhat, I should have been more specific on the D side of the ball... I think the WR and TE coaches are good, the new QB coach seems to be good and the kicker/punt coach seems to be good.  The RB coach and Philbin are still question marks.

Easy, what free agent have they brought in that has significantly improved during their time with the Colts?  Vontae Davis...  and Erik Walden that's it

Mike Adams has played well but he played well before he came to the Colts.

DQ has played well, but he hasn't improved.

Sio Moore was a solid rotational LB with the Raiders

Same with Irving, he was a 2 down LB in Denver.

Toler got worse with the Colts and is now providing some solid snaps in Washington

Robinson was considered one of the top CBs in free agency this year.

Trent Cole was a 6-8 sack a year player

Art Jones was considered a top dline prospect when the Colts signed him

Langford is about the same as he was before he signed.

The list goes on.

I understand why you would say that but we have yet to see a defensive unit together without injuries all over the place.

Our weakest point is in the linebackers IMO but the D-line has played better.

Till we have a healthy bunch together it's hard to judge.

On a different note I think with all the restrictions in training camp has had a negative effect in players coming into the regular season at their best.

18 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

What you don't think a 35 year old Robert Mathis who has been in decline for the last two years after he quit taking HGH, a 34 year old Trent Cole coming off a bad year, a 31 year old Erik Walden who is average at best, and an undrafted rookie would be enough of an edge pass rush this year? 

You must be a blind Grigson hater.