Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning, Irsay & Kravitz Saga (Mega Merge)

Case

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good for Manning on trying to put out the fire. With this nonsense of a rift between him and Irsay. It was totally silly to began with. I think Manning is just very frustrated about his neck. He even does not know if he will be able to play again. I think that makes him more frustrated then you have the media hounding him about his neck, over and over and over and over. I bet he is pretty sick and tired of it being asked. Plus the changes, which I think are good changes along with the fans. But with Manning he has been with those guys for 15 years they are like family its like a divorce, he is upset but he also probably knows deep down that the NFL is a business. We all know that he would love to retire as a Colt. I think he or either would Irsay would be happy to have a rift between the two. I think they will talk, probably talk over a couple of beers. They will express their feelings about the new Colts!

To say 100% that he will stay or go is foolish IMO.

Exactly.....which is why when Kravitz says things like this....

there's no other conclusion to be reached by a sane, sober human being: Manning's days in Indianapolis are over, and they have been over for quite some time."

....it rubs people the wrong way. If your gut tells you that Manning's days in Indy are over, fine. I'm starting to lean towards agreeing with that gut feeling myself, but don't question my sanity just because I don't feel that it is a foregone conclusion.

Exactly.....which is why when Kravitz says things like this....

....it rubs people the wrong way. If your gut tells you that Manning's days in Indy are over, fine. I'm starting to lean towards agreeing with that gut feeling myself, but don't question my sanity just because I don't feel that it is a foregone conclusion.

I agree with everything

I am an Indanapolis Colts fan first unlike a bunch here who are Peyton Manning fans first. I would much rather see the franchise be set up for success taking a very good prospect, one of the best to come along in some time, rather than put all the eggs in one basket. That basket being a 36 year old quarterback with 3 neck surgeries who EVEN post-op will have question marks as to how he will play. That is me. I am grateful for what Manning has done but tossing Manning outright in glee? Sure you can call it that. I call it moving forward. I am not going to grasp at straws, cross my fingers, or make up assumptions (which is all I hear). If my words have struck you the wrong way then that is fantastic.

I agree. I have not posted on a Colts forum in ages now actually but I have been lurking. Things have been a mess right?

IMO it's time to move on. Sorry but it is. This team was lucky to win 2 games after years of poor drafting and horrible coaching. Personally I think Luck is a stud and will be but maybe not right away. However, I don't understand for the life of me why people seem to think this team will have Peyton jump back on it and we are contenders again. This team is rebuilding unless I am totally missing out on all the signs here?

I also am one who was high on the Texans chances as soon as they hired Wade. With a healthy Schaub that was my AFC SB pick for this current season. They might be pretty scary for a few years or more. It is possibly their time with an elite D developing and a balanced elite offense with Schaub.

I think the writing has been on the wall for Peyton and I am fine with it. I appreciate all he has done in Indy but the future has to be taken into account here as well.

Kravitz has no choice but to support his views now. He isn't going to write articles contrary to his own stated position on the subject. He is shown nationally on ESPN as 'the reporter inside the building', so he can't possibly examine the issue from a matter of fact, unbiased position now. It's no longer journalism. It's Kravitz doing his part to ensure that the situation reaches the conclusion he predicted some time ago. Neither Manning nor Irsay has said they are angry, that there is contentiousness, that the relationship is splintering. As a matter of fact, each has said the exact opposite. I am not disagreeing about the outcome, but having Kravitz tell me the two sides are at odds, and it's armaggeddon at the complex is not at all what I see, hear, or read. There seems to be only one person who is reporting an ugly dissolution of the relationship.

Sad but true. I just wish that Irsay would treat him with a little less respect. Irsay is the owner of a key local institution, Kravitz is just a below average "journalist" passing in the night. He's been fired in the past, and might be again. What didn't Peyton call Chappel for his exclusive interview. Why didn't Irsay acknowledge Kravitz's destructive attitude toward Polian instead of essentially apologizing to him. There is a big difference between having a good relationship with the Star, and having a good relationship with one specific skunk. They are learning the hard way what many of us already believed - that if you give Kravitz an inch he will take a mile - with no concern about who he hurts in the process. The only way to handle him is to utterly ignore him. Which ironically is exactly what Polian did. Perhaps others should have paid more attention.

Not that it matters, but I have accepted the possiblity Peyton won't be back. Irsay could certainly talk to Peyton about..."let's see how your neck is doing in a few weeks". There's a lot that can be said before anyone knows how Peyton's neck is doing. With so much in question, you don't let him just hang like this.

Kravitz is at it again. Even more blatent this time. Manning sounds concilatory, and says he has already reached out to Mr Irsay - implying that his comments were missunderstood, and he didn't want the situation to devolve any further. Kravitz hears this and leads with:

"After listening to Manning Monday night, after listening to owner Jim Irsay characterize Manning Thursday as "a politician" who should keep his concerns "in house," there's no other conclusion to be reached by a sane, sober human being: Manning's days in Indianapolis are over, and they have been over for quite some time."

Huh?

He then emphasizes several more times at the end how "angry" Irsay was at Mannings words. I saw the video of Irsays comments - what anger?

What is this jerks game. Instead of just reporting the news, he is trying to create and shape it for his own fun and profit. I can't stand him.

Here's my (general) question:

Why did Peyton give not one, but TWO interviews straight to Kravitz?

Kravitz needs to stick a fork in it, he has his own agenda just like he did with knight, i would bet belichek planted him in indy for his own amusment!!

Except that, according to what I've read here, Peyton contacted Kravitz, not vice versa. And Peyton agreed to talk this second time, too.

Irsay upstaged his new head coach with this crap...The day he introduces Pagano, he starts this ^cowpatties^ about the Horseshoe!?!?! He's really making this organization look dysfunctional. The next thing he probably will do is go against the grain and do something stupid with the 1st pick just because everyone is saying what he'll do. I was actually kind of excited listening to Pagano and his enthusiasim and the next thing I know, Irsay is mouthing off about Peyton. Say what you will and I'm a huge Colt fan but Irsay is starting to worry me.

Except that, according to what I've read here, Peyton contacted Kravitz, not vice versa. And Peyton agreed to talk this second time, too.

I don't know about tonight but Kravitz said on the radio the day the first one came out he called Peyton before the Giants/49ers game to ask him if the Giants won if he wouldn't mind talking to him about Eli going to the Super Bowl thinking no way Peyton would call him back and when he did he said the writter in him said hey while i have you on the phone do you mind talking about this and Peyton was open to talking about it. I agree Peyton wanted to talk about this.

I agree with your implication. Peyton is nobodies fool, and he obviously wanted the message to be heard loud and clear. He was obviously using Kravitz as much as Kravitz uses anyone. But I suspect that he might regret it at this point - and the second "interview" was essentially damage control for the first. I'm not debating about whether or not Peyton is trying to influence public opinion and through them his relationship with the Colts. Considering how inapropriate Grigson's lack of effort to reach out to him has been I'm not surprised that he smells something is wrong. But that doesn't change the fact that Kravitz is just one >>>ed up waste of copy space.

The only other option was Chappel or Phil.. What is he to do call Big blue shoe? Like he's even heard of that joke.

This isn't NYC where there are multiple guys covering the Colts. Maybe he should have turned to Mort with ESPN, but it is good to see the local team talking to local media.

Why does Brady call into a Boston Radio show every week? It's local. There is a mutual interest.

I don't understand this at all. Peyton talks to Kravitz . . . Irsay talks to Kravitz . . . . and then Peyton talks to Kravitz again?

Why are they not talking to each other?

That's why I say let's storm west 56th street and lock Peyton and Jim in a room and make them talk if we need to get someone mediate we can do that but I know this Bob Kravitz doesn't need to be that guy!

Clearly I am joking when I say that.

I don't understand this at all. Peyton talks to Kravitz . . . Irsay talks to Kravitz . . . . and then Peyton talks to Kravitz again?

He said in his second conversation that he has already reached out to Irsay. At this point he apparently wanted to publicly clarify his intent with his earlier comments.

Peyton went to Kravitz, when he knew how "out of the loop" Kravitz had been officially with the team. Hmmm...reading between the lines, maybe that's how Peyton was being political in Irsay's view.

Now, you've both voiced your opinions in the public using Kravitz as your tool...now go into Irsay's office, alone...maybe with Grigson...and talk.

Peyton went to Kravitz, when he knew how "out of the loop" Kravitz had been officially with the team. Hmmm...reading between the lines, maybe that's how Peyton was being political in Irsay's view.

Now, you've both voiced your opinions in the public using Kravitz as your tool...now go into Irsay's office, alone...maybe with Grigson...and talk.

Interesting. You may be on to something there. :)

I think the writing has been on the wall for Peyton and I am fine with it. I appreciate all he has done in Indy but the future has to be taken into account here as well.

Hey, welcome back! :)

I think a large part of the reason that this is going down the way it is has to do with the way we got here. If this had flared up mid-season, Manning had to sit for the rest of the year, and the Colts went 8-8 or 7-9 and missed the playoffs I don't think we would be having this discussion. I think Irsay would take the gamble that Manning could recover. This abysmal season, though, has given Irsay the unexpected opportunity to start the rebuilding process now. Maybe a little sooner than he would have liked.....but it is what it is and you have to always make the best of the situation as it exists.....not the situation as you envisioned it. I think Irsay sees the opportunity to set the Colts up for the next decade of success, and nobody.....not even Peyton Manning.....is worth passing up that opportunity. They are tough decisions that have to be made, but I think Irsay has shown time and again that he is going to do what he feels is best for the team moving forward and not what is most popular with the media/fans.

I agree. I have not posted on a Colts forum in ages now actually but I have been lurking. Things have been a mess right?

IMO it's time to move on. Sorry but it is. This team was lucky to win 2 games after years of poor drafting and horrible coaching. Personally I think Luck is a stud and will be but maybe not right away. However, I don't understand for the life of me why people seem to think this team will have Peyton jump back on it and we are contenders again. This team is rebuilding unless I am totally missing out on all the signs here?

I also am one who was high on the Texans chances as soon as they hired Wade. With a healthy Schaub that was my AFC SB pick for this current season. They might be pretty scary for a few years or more. It is possibly their time with an elite D developing and a balanced elite offense with Schaub.

Is this the JULES? lol If so what's up girl? Nice to see you here. :wave:

I would think Irsay is busy trying to put together a GM and coach while quality people were still available. Now he's getting kicked out of his facility for the Pats. Hopefully after the Superbowl things will quiet down and egos can be stroked.

I still say Manning and/or Irsay should release some footage of Manning throwing, rehabbing, etc or at least give some kind of update of how Manning is progressing. Being so secretive is only fueling the media fire and speculation.

Polian said before he was canned that Manning's issues was more conditioning. So is it nerve regeneration or is it conditioning? It's either nerve regeneration or Manning is no longer in the franchise's plans. Someone has to know whether or not Manning is going to be ready to play next season. If his nerves aren't regenerated by now than he more than likely would not be ready for the start of next season.

Is this the JULES? lol If so what's up girl? Nice to see you here. :wave:

Yep it's me. The Jules.

Honestly since this whole Peyton thing started to develop it never sat right in my gut. I think you have to cut off a limb to keep a Manning out of a game. For Peyton to miss one game it had to be pretty bad, let alone the entire season.

I feel like we never also get true updates on Peyton's health either. Where is he in his mind? How far along?

And no I don't think you can pass on Luck either. I think that would be ridiculous. Some want the extra picks in a trade but then again those extra picks could turn into busts for all we know. At the very least I DON'T feel Luck will be a bust. I do think he is going to be a good NFL QB someday.

Yep it's me. The Jules.

Honestly since this whole Peyton thing started to develop it never sat right in my gut. I think you have to cut off a limb to keep a Manning out of a game. For Peyton to miss one game it had to be pretty bad, let alone the entire season.

I feel like we never also get true updates on Peyton's health either. Where is he in his mind? How far along?

And no I don't think you can pass on Luck either. I think that would be ridiculous. Some want the extra picks in a trade but then again those extra picks could turn into busts for all we know. At the very least I DON'T feel Luck will be a bust. I do think he is going to be a good NFL QB someday.

Well it is good to know that we are in agreement on that topic. Peyton's injury bugged me from the start as well. I felt deep down when it was announced that he was missing the first game that it would end up being most if not all of the season. It has gone on even longer than that and we still don't know what the deal is regarding his ability to return.

I think Andrew Luck has the tools to do well in this league if surrounded with the proper talent around him. It is critical to build up a strong defense and running game because I think he needs that more than Peyton to be successful. He will be a different kind of QB than Peyton but can still be effective in his own right. Not as dynamic but in some ways more dangerous as he has other skill sets that Peyton doesn't possess. Of course there are no guarantees but I simply don't believe the Colts can afford to take a pass on him given the uncertainty of Peyton's future.

I tweeted Kravitz earlier today. I told him he might want to stop pouring gasoline on the fire. His job is to help sell newspapers, and in doing so sometimes he seems to feel he has to create news, or at least controversy, to generate interest. I also told him as much as I felt Polian had to go, maybe Polian was on to something by not talking to certain local media people...

That's why we should have kept Bill Polian, because despite all the crap he got from weird people who didn't like his stance against the media, he was right.

If I was Polian I would ignore the media too...

Well it is good to know that we are in agreement on that topic. Peyton's injury bugged me from the start as well. I felt deep down when it was announced that he was missing the first game that it would end up being most if not all of the season. It has gone on even longer than that and we still don't know what the deal is regarding his ability to return.

I think Andrew Luck has the tools to do well in this league if surrounded with the proper talent around him. It is critical to build up a strong defense and running game because I think he needs that more than Peyton to be successful. He will be a different kind of QB than Peyton but can still be effective in his own right. Not as dynamic but in some ways more dangerous as he has other skill sets that Peyton doesn't possess. Of course there are no guarantees but I simply don't believe the Colts can afford to take a pass on him given the uncertainty of Peyton's future.

Luck might be able to have someday what Peyton consistently never did. And this is a balanced team.

The future is so bright I gotta wear shades.

I just feel like the times they might be a changin.

We'll see.

I would love to see the Colts build a true team who can compete every year for a title. Not just be the Peyton Manning's. Because lets face.....this was a one man team in so many ways. I blame much of it on NaPolian.

What is the big deal about a columnist saying what he feels. Not sure I understand. Isn't that his job

Some people shouldn't be columnists... and Bob Kravits has turned into one of them. I think he's been hanging out with the weird person over at Stampede Blue too much, aka BBS. They both want more attention and are both bad writers.