Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

offensive line

coltsfanmilyman

Considering we are starting three rookies on the rightt side of the line yesterday, I honestly don't think they did "too bad" but whats more upsetting to me is the left side.  Castanzo has simply regressed badly, Mewhort. . . I don't know if the bad LT play is making him look bad?  Castanzo has gotten worse every year since he's gotten his contract.  Our whole Oline is a disaster, Luck wont make it through the season if this doesn't change.  

The offensive line is a dumpster fire

1 hour ago, coltsfanmilyman said:

Considering we are starting three rookies on the rightt side of the line yesterday, I honestly don't think they did "too bad" but whats more upsetting to me is the left side.  Castanzo has simply regressed badly, Mewhort. . . I don't know if the bad LT play is making him look bad?  Castanzo has gotten worse every year since he's gotten his contract.  Our whole Oline is a disaster, Luck wont make it through the season if this doesn't change.  

The offensive line is a dumpster fire

agreed

8 hours ago, dudeski said:

Blythe was terrible.  Way worse than AC

Anthony Castonzo is in his 6th year making 10 mill this year and scheduled to make 12 million next year. 

Austin Blyth is a rookie C (played guard yesterday) that is 6'2" 291 lBS. He was drafted with the 27th pick in the 7th round. He's making $440,000 this year

41 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Anthony Castonzo is in his 6th year making 10 mill this year and scheduled to make 12 million next year. 

Austin Blyth is a rookie C (played guard yesterday) that is 6'2" 291 lBS. He was drafted with the 27th pick in the 7th round. He's making $440,000 this year

Awesome info.  Irrelevant but awesome info

2 hours ago, Tracy Denton said:

I expected as much, he is a center only. they should have maybe tried Vujnovich at RT and Haeg at RG.

Vujnovich played much better than Blythe or Haeg in the preseason. If the best players actually made the roster, Blythe would be on the PS and Vujnovich would have been playing RT Sunday.

49 minutes ago, Rackeen305 said:

Im not sure why Le'raven Clark didn't play any. I would have kicked the tires, especially against the Jaguars to get in NFL experience. He might be counted on down the stretch.

He is terrible at football.  That is why

36 minutes ago, dudeski said:

It is completely irrelevant the second the 1st snap is made

It's like saying if you hire a handy man that charges $15 an hour to do a tough electrical job and I hire a master electrician that charges $200 an hour to do a similar job.  You have every right to expect your work to be top quality or as good as mine ?

22 hours ago, dw49 said:

It's like saying if you hire a handy man that charges $15 an hour to do a tough electrical job and I hire a master electrician that charges $200 an hour to do a similar job.  You have every right to expect your work to be top quality or as good as mine ?

Absolutely.  

6 minutes ago, dudeski said:

Absolutely.  

If you want to be argumentative as is your custom --- fine.

But if you want to be embarrassingly silly --- well,  not so fine.

The salaries of the two may be irrelevant when the ball is snapped,   but the salaries tell you a great deal if you understand football.       Costanzo's salary says he's being paid like one of the better lineman in the game.   And he's being paid Left Tackle money.      At the moment,  he's not earning it.

On the other hand,  Blythe is not only making rookie money,  he's making 7th round rookie money.    That tells you he likely shouldn't be starting at this point in his career.     He is because the team is in an emergency situation where a number of players in front of him are hurt.      He's being forced to play when he shouldn't be.

It may not matter when the ball is snapped,   but in the big picture, when you step back and take a look it matters a great deal.

I'm sure this went over your head.     And I'm sure that your response to me will prove it went over your head.

But fire away and have a good time doing it.......

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The salaries of the two may be irrelevant when the ball is snapped,   but the salaries tell you a great deal if you understand football.       Costanzo's salary says he's being paid like one of the better lineman in the game.   And he's being paid Left Tackle money.      At the moment,  he's not earning it.

On the other hand,  Blythe is not only making rookie money,  he's making 7th round rookie money.    That tells you he likely shouldn't be starting at this point in his career.     He is because the team is in an emergency situation where a number of players in front of him are hurt.      He's being forced to play when he shouldn't be.

It may not matter when the ball is snapped,   but in the big picture, when you step back and take a look it matters a great deal.

I'm sure this went over your head.     And I'm sure that your response to me will prove it went over your head.

Thank you as I'm getting too old to deal with such nonsense. 

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Late round players play well all the time.  The job is to block and execute the play.  Sure mistakes will be made by all kinds of players.  But the amount of money they are making is irrelevant once the game starts.  If you are playing, the expectation is to play well.  Regardless of pay

Its all about reading the D Lineman in front of him and taking that D Lineman where wants to go thereby opening up a hole(Because more often then not the shoulder that D Lineman lines up on is the side he wants to get to) and the RB reading that.

Sometimes I think some O Coordinators particularly design plays up overly complicated....Pep had a Masters Degree on the subject. I think the best keep it simple often.

If that NT lines up in a 1 Tech lets say on the left shoulder of the Center for example then Center step to the right place right hand on hip left hand on chest and drive that D Lineman out of the hole. The hole will open right up because your not trying to meet force with force and trying to out muscle someone. Your simply letting that D Linemans momentum and post snap intent dictate where the hole is going to be. Then BOOM the Colts have a run game!!. That's how good/great O Lineman run block. I believe from watching the all 22. They get angles down

Why do running backs generally read helmets? Helmet often determines ANGLE.

1 hour ago, dudeski said:

Late round players play well all the time.  The job is to block and execute the play.  Sure mistakes will be made by all kinds of players.  But the amount of money they are making is irrelevant once the game starts.  If you are playing, the expectation is to play well.  Regardless of pay

It doesn't help a rookie guard to play well when he has a rookie to his left playing center and a rookie to his right playing tackle.

I don't know if this has ever happened before.....    I suspect it has,  but it's incredibly uncommon. 

The game is hard enough when you're a rookie....   but when you don't have veterans on either side of you,  then the odds of playing well go way down....

Seeing the bigger picture helps.....     it's not just a simple black and white thing....

\

On 10/3/2016 at 9:25 PM, Rackeen305 said:

Im not sure why Le'raven Clark didn't play any. I would have kicked the tires, especially against the Jaguars to get in NFL experience. He might be counted on down the stretch.

By all accounts he's not NFL ready yet.  He has to make the transition from spread college football where tackles never put their hand down to the NFL where tackles hands are down all the time.  If he works out he has the talent to be like a first round pick per his draft reviews but he has to learn how to play NFL football which is why he wasn't a first round pick.

I think part of the problem is there is a general dearth of skilled players on the OL around the league.  IDK why that is, it seemed like in the 90's and early 2000's it was mostly pretty good across the NFL.  Now, many teams are struggling to protect the passer.  40 sacks is too many and we currently have 9 QB's that are on pace for 40+, and another 3 that are just off.  QB's on good teams, like Dalton, Newton, and Palmer.  Rivers, Ryan, and Wilson are just off that pace.  Is it schemes?  Are defensive lines and LB's just that much better right now?  Coaching?  IDK but it seems the Colts aren't the only ones having this issue. 

Where the Colts are separated from the others is they don't have anything else to help out such as a good defense or running game.  Their "strength" is built around the pass.  And when your strength is having trouble you are doomed.  Such is the dilemma for the Colts right now and it doesn't appear that anything is going to change that fact in the near future.  The mere fact that they have been as competitive as they have is a minor miracle.

Everyone thinks the rules changes favor the passing game and the quarterbacks. In reality, these rules changes are getting the QBs killed. Let the DBs hit the receivers and we will see more teams develop a running game. Oh but that's boring. I say its not as boring as watching some of these 2nd and 3rd string QBs stink it up late in the season. So long as the offensive coordinators can throw with relative success, the QB's behind is on the line. Everything for the TV buck, right?

What is most troubling to me, in a year when so many other upgrades are needed, it may well end up that a top LT has to be the pick next draft.  Move AC to RT?  Maybe one of the rookies this year can really step up, maybe AC does too...  I'm not sure he can be worse than he was last Sunday. 

Not THAT bad.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-5-2/

Luck holds the ball, on average, longer than all but one other QB in the league, and the line actually has a couple of solid performers. LT Anthony Castonzo has been good, ranking 14th in the PFF’s OT grades with a mark of 81.5, while G Jack Mewhort (82.6) ranks 10th among guards.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You made my point he was a wasted pick.  We didn't need a 3rd center