Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rodney harrison being Rodney harrison

CR91

Ha, saw his statements yesturday. Harrison talked about the struggles he himself faces on a daily basis in his claims that Kaep didn't know the struggles of African Americans. He also tried to backtrack later in the day through a series of tweets claiming he just didn't know Kaep's "real" parentage.

Man some of these guys just don't know when to keep opinions to themselves...

Harrison has walked that back and apologized over and over and over again.

Something tells me that his friends and perhaps even NBC (who he works for) told him to do so.....   that his black comment would not stand.

It's one of the worst things anyone can say about a person of color.....   and to have it come from another black person?       What was he thinking?!?   

Dear God.......           :facepalm:

Actually, I don't disagree with a lot of statements Kap made about why he doesn't stand.  He has some valid points.  But NOT standing is not the right way to make that statement.  The main thing I disagreed with is oppression.  He has no idea what being oppressed means.  If he wants to see oppression, go to China and see how they treat the majority of their people.  Go to any of dozens of African countries where they still practice slavery.  Go the the middle east where people are being beheaded because they are Christian.  Those are examples of people be oppressed.

You don't stand for the National Anthem because you agree with everything that is going on in the country, you stand for the National Anthem out of respect for those that came before and made this the greatest country in the world. That we have a system in place to allow people to voice their opinion and a system to help those people change the things they with which they disagree.  You stand to acknowledge the fact that you are an American.

55 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Actually, I don't disagree with a lot of statements Kap made about why he doesn't stand.  He has some valid points.  But NOT standing is not the right way to make that statement.  The main thing I disagreed with is oppression.  He has no idea what being oppressed means.  If he wants to see oppression, go to China and see how they treat the majority of their people.  Go to any of dozens of African countries where they still practice slavery.  Go the the middle east where people are being beheaded because they are Christian.  Those are examples of people be oppressed.

You don't stand for the National Anthem because you agree with everything that is going on in the country, you stand for the National Anthem out of respect for those that came before and made this the greatest country in the world. That we have a system in place to allow people to voice their opinion and a system to help those people change the things they with which they disagree.  You stand to acknowledge the fact that you are an American.

I hate this argument. It's lazy and is used to disagree with a point that he never made. He said there is oppression and wrong doings going on.... which is true. People who claim that just because he hasn't been shot by a cop or doesn't know what oppression is because he's rich or because 3rd world countries kill people for less are just minimizing and overlooking the issue that he's peacefully protesting in the first place. What Middle Eastern or African countries do has zero to do with what he's protesting. It's only brought up as a reason as to why he shouldn't protest.... which you could do for absolutely any protest ever. That would be a shame.

Just my view on that particular argument. 

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Excuse me Coffee. Your fine nation is called the United States of America. It doesn't even have 'Great' in the title, unlike my great little island. Now, unless the USA competed in the World Cup of Great Countyness, I don't believe you are factually correct.

Unless you are using the Olympic Table as your reference point.......

Good day sir.

11 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

Ha, saw his statements yesturday. Harrison talked about the struggles he himself faces on a daily basis in his claims that Kaep didn't know the struggles of African Americans. He also tried to backtrack later in the day through a series of tweets claiming he just didn't know Kaep's "real" parentage.

Man some of these guys just don't know when to keep opinions to themselves...

Hes not black. He will never be black! And he will never understand! 

Now all you non black people need to understand what we go through! 

Makes sense....

1 hour ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Hes not black. He will never be black! And he will never understand! 

Now all you non black people need to understand what we go through! 

Makes sense....

Ha, perfectly logical...

Hopefully someday America can shed the racial tension and prejudices, however it's gonna take a new narrative based on understanding and positive communication...

Sadly these instances (Kaep's choice of protest and Harrison's reaction) seem to only compound the existing issues, furthering an atmosphere of misunderstanding... 

2 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

I hate this argument. It's lazy and is used to disagree with a point that he never made. He said there is oppression and wrong doings going on.... which is true. People who claim that just because he hasn't been shot by a cop or doesn't know what oppression is because he's rich or because 3rd world countries kill people for less are just minimizing and overlooking the issue that he's peacefully protesting in the first place. What Middle Eastern or African countries do has zero to do with what he's protesting. It's only brought up as a reason as to why he shouldn't protest.... which you could do for absolutely any protest ever. That would be a shame.

I understand what you are saying, but I would tend to agree with Coffedrinker's premise that Kaepernick doesn't understand what true oppression is.  After all he did show up to discuss his views wearing a tee shirt that had pictures of Castro on it.  Anyone that was truly concerned about oppression would not show up dressed that way.  Kind of like talking about mass killings with the likeness of Pol Pot on your shirt, it would show that you are either not serious about the topic or you are just ignorant about the topic.

Ultimately, what Kaepernick has accomplished is not bringing attention to the issue itself but to himself and more divisiveness amongst those who agree or disagree with his methodology, IMO. That part is undeniable.

Yeah, he got people talking but we need people walking (doing more things to help with the issue) instead of focusing on talking. Talk is cheap.

Just my two cents. 

I wish this whole thing never happened, period. I use the NFL as an escape route a lot to have fun with. Now ESPN and football forums/comment sections are turning into debates on politics and race issues with particular threads. I get tired of it. If I want political talk......I make time for that with a few chosen people I know.

I don't want to watch or listen to the football version of CNN or Fox News and hear everyone's opinions on race, injustice, oppression and patriotic do's and don'ts that make one American enough.

Let us just focus on the football!!!!!!

But, sadly this might not go away either since Kaepernick is going to keep sitting for the National Anthem until he is cut maybe. 

1 hour ago, Jules said:

I wish this whole thing never happened, period. I use the NFL as an escape route a lot to have fun with. Now ESPN and football forums/comment sections are turning into debates on politics and race issues with particular threads. I get tired of it. If I want political talk......I make time for that with a few chosen people I know.

Let us just focus on the football!!!!!!

Which is why I think Kaepernick is going to get cut. Teams cut players all the team because they're distractions in the locker room (hint: Tim Tebow & Johnny Manziel). Now you have a guy who not only is a distraction in the locker room, he's a distraction for the whole damn country! Let that sink it.

14 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

Not really.  Considering the poor in this country have a better standard of living than the majority of the world, I just don't think you can say there is true oppression here.  There are problems, no doubt about it.

14 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Excuse me Coffee. Your fine nation is called the United States of America. It doesn't even have 'Great' in the title, unlike my great little island. Now, unless the USA competed in the World Cup of Great Countyness, I don't believe you are factually correct.

Unless you are using the Olympic Table as your reference point.......

Good day sir.

You know, I have no issue when people from other countries are proud of their country and think they are the greatest.  But apparently that is not allowed the other way.

Don't worry though, a lot of Americans think we should be more like England and France... so it means our economy will be crashing in the near future.

Good day sir.

12 hours ago, Cynjin said:

I understand what you are saying, but I would tend to agree with Coffedrinker's premise that Kaepernick doesn't understand what true oppression is.  After all he did show up to discuss his views wearing a tee shirt that had pictures of Castro on it.  Anyone that was truly concerned about oppression would not show up dressed that way.  Kind of like talking about mass killings with the likeness of Pol Pot on your shirt, it would show that you are either not serious about the topic or you are just ignorant about the topic.

Very well stated.

12 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Which is why I think Kaepernick is going to get cut. Teams cut players all the team because they're distractions in the locker room (hint: Tim Tebow & Johnny Manziel). Now you have a guy who not only is a distraction in the locker room, he's a distraction for the whole damn country! Let that sink it.

Talks of Kaep being released happened long before he decided to sit during the anthem, and who could blame the 49ers.  I find it ironic the timing of his actions align directly with the lowest point of his career.  Maybe he feels oppressed, but in a different way than most citizens from poverty ridden communities.  I think he is exploiting the situation for personal gain.  To use as an excuse after the inevitable happens.

2 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

Talks of Kaep being released happened long before he decided to sit during the anthem, and who could blame the 49ers.  I find it ironic the timing of his actions align directly with the lowest point of his career.

Good point. In this case, it's a brilliant move on his part, because if he knew he was going to get cut anyways, he places the 49'ers in a lose-lose situation. If they do cut him, it makes the team look bad, since people will think he was cut for protesting his actions, rather than something secretive that went on in the locker rooms. Of course, the team can say it was for something else all they want (and it probably was), but it's not like they have evidence, so there's going to be people calling foul on the organization unless there's video or audio evidence saying otherwise. That's just the way our country is.

6 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Good point. In this case, it's a brilliant move on his part, because if he knew he was going to get cut anyways, he places the 49'ers in a lose-lose situation. If they do cut him, it makes the team look bad, since people will think he was cut for protesting his actions, rather than something secretive that went on in the locker rooms. Of course, the team can say it was for something else all they want (and it probably was), but it's not like they have evidence, so there's going to be people calling foul on the organization unless there's video or audio evidence saying otherwise. That's just the way our country is.

Evidence of what? Him playing stinky football? There will be plenty of that for it to be called a football decision, IMO. That is all the evidence they need for a football decision.

58 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Evidence of what? Him playing stinky football? There will be plenty of that for it to be called a football decision, IMO. That is all the evidence they need for a football decision.

Yea, but I mean in the court of public opinion, some of the people are going to grill the 49'ers for this. I think the majority will side with the organization though, just because people are getting tired of the drama and they want to get back to football.

Someone on this forum made a good point that people watch football to get away from all this drama, and yet here we have Kaep bringing it onto NFL.com and such. It's like NFL.com has to pull double-duty and become a political network. Screw that.

11 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Yea, but I mean in the court of public opinion, some of the people are going to grill the 49'ers for this. I think the majority will side with the organization though, just because people are getting tired of the drama and they want to get back to football.

Someone on this forum made a good point that people watch football to get away from all this drama, and yet here we have Kaep bringing it onto NFL.com and such. It's like NFL.com has to pull double-duty and become a political network. Screw that.

I think he knows his playing days are numbered and wants attention. When you cant beat out Blaine Gabbert for a starting job that is sad.

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Not really.  Considering the poor in this country have a better standard of living than the majority of the world, I just don't think you can say there is true oppression here.  There are problems, no doubt about it.

You know, I have no issue when people from other countries are proud of their country and think they are the greatest.  But apparently that is not allowed the other way.

Don't worry though, a lot of Americans think we should be more like England and France... so it means our economy will be crashing in the near future.

Good day sir.

Hope you didn't take my post seriously. I'm happy that people in most counties are proud of where they live, but continually boasting about their country as being the 'greatest country in the world', and I dont mean just America, then I say triple baloney. There never should be such a boast from anyone.

23 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yeah it seems like all this originally stems from police of all colors shooting people of all colors which really doesn't make sense to me because the media has exploited a few extreme cases..........  How this leads to racism and oppression is beyond me it doesn't shock me how all this comes about during election year also.

Change does not happen overnight. It has taken years and generations for people of color to get the same rights everywhere. So, you are not going to get rid of a few rotten apples with the police overnight. It will still take years. People on both sides just need to chill and do more than just keep talking, and do more listening because only listening and action will effect any change for the cause Kaep is sticking up for.

I don't see Governors of states getting together heads of police with heads of organizations of color to listen to each other's point of view to reduce friction, that would be a good start, IMO. More talking, less action, and all we have is street justice with mistrust on both sides, and an eye for an eye making everyone blind. 

When Kap decided not to stand for the Natl. Anthem initially, I was confused over the explanation over act of civil disobedience: Police brutality. Has he been beaten by cops with night sticks & chased after by bloodthirsty german shepherds? How bout had tear gas fired in his direction? Was an illegal choke hold applied by law enforcement to subdue him into submission by restricting the flow of oxygen to his brain? I have no idea. Yes, I know it is possible to have empathy for others without actually being tortured or beaten directly yourself. I understand that. 

However, the flag to me is the embodiment of opportunity. Look how far the black quarterbacks have come in the NFL as faces of the franchises they represent as starters in this league from Doug Williams, Warren Moon, Steve McNair, & Russel Wilson. Progress on that front means something right? How has Colin suffered exactly? I guess I just have issues when slavery is usually brought up or inferred in contemporary terms by generations that never endured those hardships themselves in their lifetime on this planet. Okay look, I get that institutional racism & bigotry still exists in 2016 & subtle discrimination based on faulty assumptions can be just as dangerous as in your face blatant discrimination to hold you down & slow down a black man's ability to rise up the social ladder in society. But Kap is pulling down a nice salary this year so it's not like the guy is economically strapped in any way. 

I wanna be clear here. I know Colin worked hard for his salary, played in a SB in Louisiana, & he deserves what experience & the QB market will bear for his field general services. He wasn't handed anything. He earned his salary on own merits. I guess I just don't follow his line of reasoning where he himself was brutalized in some horrific capacity. That just escapes & alludes me man. I cannot connect those dots specifically to Kap's situation. I just don't see a direct parallel in his case. 

Regarding Harrison, oh brother, how did he not know Kap was black? What did he think Colin was just trying to 'pass' & cross over to the caucasian side for better financial benefits & a premier standard of living or something? I can't believe Rodney was that darn foolish. He does get credit for apologizing for his insensitive remarks though.  

On September 1, 2016 at 5:11 PM, BOTT said:

People work really hard to find something to be outraged about these days.  He sat down during a song that was being sung at a football game!!   Not sure the country will recover.

You do make a valid point BOTT. There does seem to be a rise in overblown fake outrage in this country. 

I disagree with Kap's position on this issue sure, but I don't believe he should be humiliated or tar & feathered over it either. Pick & choose your battles in life making sure your stance is worth it in the long haul Colin. 

On 9/1/2016 at 6:06 PM, ReMeDy said:

Hes like a 5 year old child crying for attention. Pretty pathetic. Kaepernick wouldn't last 5 minutes of trying to be a cop. Sitting during the national anthem does absolutely nothing but make you look like a petulant child. 

On 9/1/2016 at 3:37 PM, braveheartcolt said:

Hope you didn't take my post seriously. I'm happy that people in most counties are proud of where they live, but continually boasting about their country as being the 'greatest country in the world', and I dont mean just America, then I say triple baloney. There never should be such a boast from anyone.

Only half serious.

14 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Hes like a 5 year old child crying for attention. Pretty pathetic. Kaepernick wouldn't last 5 minutes of trying to be a cop. Sitting during the national anthem does absolutely nothing but make you look like a petulant child. 

The way I look at it is, if you don't like living in the USA then move to a different country and see how you are treated. - Problem solved. Didn't he vote for Obama as well? If so why doesn't he call out who is running the country if he has issues instead of not standing for the National Anthem/supporting the American flag?

On 9/1/2016 at 6:11 PM, BOTT said:

People work really hard to find something to be outraged about these days.  He sat down during a song that was being sung at a football game!!   Not sure the country will recover.

To be fair, its not really just a song...it's a national anthem...some people take that stuff crazy serious, can't be surprised when their is a huge backlash from that...

1 hour ago, James Ducheteau said:

To be fair, its not really just a song...it's a national anthem...some people take that stuff crazy serious, can't be surprised when their is a huge backlash from that...

Those people need to keep their crazy to themselves.

On 9/1/2016 at 5:11 PM, BOTT said:

3 hours ago, James Ducheteau said:

2 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Those people need to keep their crazy to themselves.

2 hours ago, James Ducheteau said:

They never do though

You're right, it's not just a song, it's the National Anthem and some things are worth getting worked up over and this is one of them.  If you show disrespect during the National Anthem, you are not showing disrespect for the song, you are showing disrespect to all the people that fought, sacrificed and died to make sure that we could fly the Flag and sing that song while doing something as mundane as watching or playing a football game.  And I'm not talking about just soldiers but the families that that sacrificed during times of war, who did without so the soldiers could have it, to the founding fathers who were considered traitors to crown, to the immigrants(legal) that left everything behind in their home countries and came to the US to establish a better life for themselves and their families and waited for days at places like Ellis Island to be welcomed to this country.  Some of you guys may think it's no big deal to disrespect that but there are a lot more of us that think it is a big deal, nor am I going to apologize for it being a big deal to me.