Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Training Camp Day 5

Bravo

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I like and appreciate the updates but this is one of the (many) things I don't like about twitter and the entire instant media, things get blown way out of proportion.  Someone tweets that Butler picked off Luck and fans respond with things like, Oh no... Luck can't solve his problems, etc.  Big deal Luck throws an interception in camp... it's training camp, it is the time to train the players and try things.  if they expecting everything to be perfect before going to camp they would call it perfect camp, not training camp.

I'd get see tweets with things like, Luck is really starting to implement the new footwork they are teaching him (or Luck is not getting the new footwork...) or you can really see the the olineman working into the techniques Philban is teaching them.

Instead we get things like Luck throws an INT in the redzone and all the defensive lineman are wearing bucket hats today.  I would rather they take some time and write something meaningful rather than instant fluff and nonsense.

Just remember that nothing looks good when looking at it under a microscope.

Ok, I'm stepping down now.

Unfortunately it's all about getting someone to click on their URL to get to their story. Everyone is extreme and there is always contradiction 

31 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'd get see tweets with things like, Luck is really starting to implement the new footwork they are teaching him (or Luck is not getting the new footwork...) or you can really see the the olineman working into the techniques Philban is teaching them.

Wouldn't that be awesome? Instead, they act like they're covering a game and are trying to provide play by play. I don't mind the running updates, but anything about what they're doing and implementing, how they're coaching, etc., would be more meaningful to me. 

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

Wouldn't that be awesome? Instead, they act like they're covering a game and are trying to provide play by play. I don't mind the running updates, but anything about what they're doing and implementing, how they're coaching, etc., would be more meaningful to me. 

I refused to read it but I actually saw an article on NFL.com that was, "Early Winners and Losers of Training Camp."

I'm like, What?, you cannot tell who is a winner and loser of training camp after one or two days in pads.

Earl Okine. Another guy who had a really impressive day of practice today was Earl Okine. He wasn’t able to practice the past two days due to an undisclosed injury (we never got an official update from the Colts), but he was back today and looked really good as a pass rusher. Early in practice in the pass rush drills, Okine embarrassed Erik Swoope twice. During the 11-on-11 work, Okine made a couple of good pushes up front, and twice he timed the snap perfectly. Then later, with the team again doing a pass rush drill, Okine made a great spin move inside on Kevin Graf to get by easily, and then a few reps later got by Austin Blythe on another impressive move. Okine looks the part and seems like a good athlete out there, so with the pass rush as wide open as it is, I think Okine has a very realistic shot.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/8/1/12345914/colts-camp-notebook-day-five

At WR I keep seeing that name Chester Rogers.  Gotta check this kid out on Sunday against GB. Thought I'd be seeing names like Tevaun Smith, Danny Anthrop, Leak and some of the other ones we've been talking about.  Instead it seems to consistently be Mckay and Chester Rogers from the UDFA bunch.

A quick run down for now of what I saw today.

Coaching: I like Chuds offense so far, the plays called in today's practice seemed to be almost just like what was called in the Denver game. The new D coordinator has a lot of teaching to do still I'm sure but he brings passion. Coach Pagano was very involved with the DB's today!

Offense as a whole- Okay day. Only start of week two. One thing I did notice is A LOT of rollouts by Luck who basically hit Allen on every one and a WR reverse by Hilton.

QB- Luck had a really bad 40 and in session. Then turned it around in the RedZone session and was throwing beautiful passes. Tolzien seems to be an alright backup.

RB- Gore is looking solid (wasn't wearing sweatpants today like he usually does even over his pads.) lol Turbin might be a pretty good backup. If it comes down to only keeping 3 RB I really am hoping Ferguson makes it over Todman. Ferguson is ELECTRIC, Todman... Ehhhh not so much. Todman also had a TERRIBLE lost fumble on the first play of the two minute drill. 

WR.) Wow, Great Group of starters! After that ehhhh. Bray looks pretty decent at WR so far.

TE.) Allen had a great day, he was involved a ton. Needs to stay healthy. Doyel looked alright. Swoope played okay. Made a couple good catches, very athletic. I'm forget who #80 was as at the TE position but he was balling today.

OL- Didn't have a great day today... Looked rough and a lot of pressure on luck. Did make a couple of run lanes. A lot of runs were to the right.

Defense as a whole: Great day, not sure what to expect with the new scheme but the defense does seem to be playing fast. Inside pashbrush looked below average but there was still a lot of pressure from outsides. Hard to tell this early on vs same team. Excited that green was back. He intercepted Luck once in a RedZone 7-7 session.

CB- Good day overall for them. Davis was playing very well. I didn't pay much attention to Robinson today so I'm not sure how he played. Djoun Smith had an alright day. Got yelled at a couple times for being out of position. 

S- Good day. Green is impressive and Butler might be better at Safety than he is at CB. Lol Both Green and Butler had interceptions.

LB- DQ and Moore seemed to be the starters at ILB with Irving and Moore switching often. All played well well today it seemed. Mathis and Walden were the OLB and they were pretty good also. They put a lot of pressure one the tackles all day. Morrison didn't participate much.

DL- The whole DL rotated often. Parry seemed to be starting at NT and he looked solid. Langford looked good!

A lot of work to do for the Colts but they have 5 weeks of preseason ahead! It will be interesting to watch the position battles and younger players develop.

Full pads were donned on Monday and Denzelle Goodicon-article-link.gif was still with the first unit. Good continues to be taking more of the first-team reps at right guard. This starting battle looks to be creating some separation…

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Practice-Five-Training-Camp-Notebook-Andrew-Luck-Looks-Like-Old-Self-On-Monday/cfbd25ca-6db4-47bc-b2db-1d3998944f41

14 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Welcome to training camp day 5!

I just finished my 3, 12 hour over night shifts as a Corrections Officer this weekend and have the next two days off! Im gonna grab a couple hours of sleep and head up to Anderson! I'm excited to finally be able to make it to training camp this year! Have been the past 3 years.

I will try to update while I am there but I will for sure write about what I saw afterwards. All of the updates from the fellow forum members have been great, so keep them coming!

Hope everyone has a good day!

You're a corrections officer?       Wow,  you really earn your money!      Seriously!        Thanks for what you do!   Much appreciated......   (and I live in California....)     Enjoy your time off!     :thmup:  

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're a corrections officer?       Wow,  you really earn your money!      Seriously!        Thanks for what you do!   Much appreciated......   (and I live in California....)     Enjoy your time off!     :thmup:  

Thank you! Ahhh it just takes alot of patience and stubborness, that of which I didn't know I even had! Lol Enjoy the Cali weather!

10 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I like Thornton and I think he could be an excellent guard in the NFL if he can get healthy.  But doesn't the male lion lay around and let the females do the hunting and then he just comes and eats. and keeps the hyena's away?

Hah, a lot of times yeah but a dominant rogue lion can be brutal.  I've seen a show about a very large dominant rogue lion who killed the male pride leader, brutalized the female lions and killed all the prides cubs to assert dominance.  He then had his own cubs with his newly established pride.  

Male lions are also needed when the prey is too big and to offer protection against opposing foes, or other animals.  So they can have a lot of uses, however they're kind of *.  Off subject I know but I love watching NatGeo Wild animal planet, and YouTube.

Hopefully Thornton can be a very dominant rogue lion because weak rogue lions usually get killed, injured or die of starvation.  This can't happen however if he keeps getting injured....... :(

1 hour ago, twfish said:

@bravo4460 out of the udfa who's standing out the most? How's Mckay's hands look?

The most impressive to me has to be Josh Ferguson. One who stood out today imo was Chester Rogers. He had a good practice. Every time I looked up he was catching a pass. Lol

One Free Agent pick up that I REALLY is Chase Coffman! Dude was the 2nd best TE on the field today. I mentioned his #

in my write up but I didn't know who it was until I looked into it. I really like Swoope but Coffman was good today!

Mckay's hands seemed alright today. I'm not going to lie, I didn't pay much attention to him though. I did however see him drop a tough catch that was out infront of him in a RedZone session. Didn't notice him dropping a bunch or anything. Seemed okay to me. 

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

Just wondering how Antonio Morrison has looked so far?  The coaches gushed about him in mini-camps.  Just wondering if he looks lost or good or just decent?  Or if anybody has even watched him?  Hoping he works out.

I watched him yesterday. A buddy of mine is a huge Florida Gator fans so he always watches or asks about the Florida guys. Lol

Yesterday he didn't seem very involved to be honest... He did have a great fun stuff on Todman during a quick 11 on 11 period. The O line was also struggling a bit yesterday though...

3 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

I watched him yesterday. A buddy of mine is a huge Florida Gator fans so he always watches or asks about the Florida guys. Lol

Yesterday he didn't seem very involved to be honest... He did have a great fun stuff on Todman during a quick 11 on 11 period. The O line was also struggling a bit yesterday though...

He's been struggling somewhat as far as the mental side of the game.  There's a good interview with Monachino on the subject on Colts.com.  We have to remember he really wasn't able to participate much in the offseason so he's really just now getting on the field executing some of the stuff he learned.  There's a learning curve that first couple week or more.

18 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Thanks!  i hope he shows something.

On 8/1/2016 at 11:09 AM, IndyD4U said:

Definitely thin at the moment...Get Geathers back and we'll be fine...Green can get us through a game or two

I think we are desperately thin at safety even WITH Geathers back.  A rookie as the only quality back up to a currently injured guy and an ancient guy who shouldn't even still be starting at his age.  We could easily be playing guys off the street a large chunk of the season unless we find 2 more quality guys (pardon the pun but I don't see Winston as more than a ST player).  I think they should have plucked the best available safety in the 7th round even though I like our (hopefully) backup Center.