Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bye Bye Mathis (Edited Topic Title: User Opinion)

lucky12

I Knew This Day Would Come. I Like Mathis I Wish We Could Keep Him But This Is Why We Drafted Jerry Hughes So Early Its His Time To Provide For This Team. He Has The Same Techniques As Freeny The Speed, Acceleration, and Strength. Also there Are rumors that Dwight is ganna work with Jerry in the offseason.

I Knew This Day Would Come. I Like Mathis I Wish We Could Keep Him But This Is Why We Drafted Jerry Hughes So Early Its His Time To Provide For This Team. He Has The Same Techniques As Freeny The Speed, Acceleration, and Strength. Also there Are rumors that Dwight is ganna work with Jerry in the offseason.

The GM that drafted Hughes isn't here anymore. Grigson and the new coach might not be as patient with him as odds are Polian would have been.

How do you set up your keyboard so every word is capitalized?

Jerry Hughes is a big question mark at this point in time.

It'll be quite interesting to see where we go with the HC, who's brought in for DC, and their style of defense.

Could make him. Could break him.

With Mathis, we have a proven vet. With Hughes, we don't have much to go off of (we as in fans, coaches do have practice to look at him). Best case scenario, Hughes turns out to be a great pass rusher and we are fine. Worst case scenario, he busts like mad. In that situation, our only good pass rusher at DE would be Freeney. And if you have 1 good pass rusher, you (as the saying goes) have no good pass rushers. Teams will double up on Freeney and do things like screens and options to keep him at home and make sure he has to contain instead of unleashing his speed.

With Mathis, we have a proven vet. With Hughes, we don't have much to go off of (we as in fans, coaches do have practice to look at him). Best case scenario, Hughes turns out to be a great pass rusher and we are fine. Worst case scenario, he busts like mad. In that situation, our only good pass rusher at DE would be Freeney. And if you have 1 good pass rusher, you (as the saying goes) have no good pass rushers. Teams will double up on Freeney and do things like screens and options to keep him at home and make sure he has to contain instead of unleashing his speed.

I agree that Mathis should be resigned, but I have to respectfully disagree on your pass rusher theory. When you look at a team like the Saints, they have zero quality pass rushers, yet they generate a ton of pressure. It's all about the scheme obviously with those guys. With our team, it's always been about pure ability. I hope in the future Colts era, our DC actually tries to out-scheme the opponets, rather than only try to outplay them. That Saints defense, from a personnel standpoint, was not very skilled. They were just put in a position to succeed by a DC with some balls. I'd prefer a defense that may sacrifice the big play, but doesn't allow an offense to slowly milk the clock on 8 minute drives that ultimately have the same result. Take some chances, get sacks, force fumbles, pick the ball off, just stop the bend but don't break defensive philosophy Indy!!!!

You're saying Mathis wont be with us? Why are you speaking as if it's already happened? No link = it hasn't happened.

This...some people need to calm down. Just because the media is jumping to conclusions prematurely and are all over the place doesn't mean that we have to follow suit around here. Let's let these things play out before posting up misleading topics. Some of these threads lately have been ridiculous. We are literally giving living funerals to Peyton and writing off guys who are still officially with the team. Relax. As much as we all think we know how these things are going to play out...we really don't at this point.

I'm torn on Mathis.

On one hand, with no pass rush, pass defense fails hard.

On the other hand, I don't like the idea of giving top DE money (which Mathis both commands and deserves) to a soon to be 31 year old DE whose game is based entirely on speed. If he loses a step, he'll be essentially useless as undersized as he is.

I'm not saying not to resign him, just that there are some things to consider before doing so.

I agree that Mathis should be resigned, but I have to respectfully disagree on your pass rusher theory. When you look at a team like the Saints, they have zero quality pass rushers, yet they generate a ton of pressure. It's all about the scheme obviously with those guys. With our team, it's always been about pure ability. I hope in the future Colts era, our DC actually tries to out-scheme the opponets, rather than only try to outplay them. That Saints defense, from a personnel standpoint, was not very skilled. They were just put in a position to succeed by a DC with some balls. I'd prefer a defense that may sacrifice the big play, but doesn't allow an offense to slowly milk the clock on 8 minute drives that ultimately have the same result. Take some chances, get sacks, force fumbles, pick the ball off, just stop the bend but don't break defensive philosophy Indy!!!!

I see what you mean. I agree with you. In our system, if you have 1 good pass rusher, you have no good pass rushers because we don't blitz as often (hopefully that gets changed). But that does change with more blitz happy teams like the Saints.

I love Mathis and Frathis is the best combo, all depends on how much "rebuilding" we're doing. I'm ready for no vets to be here with all the drastic changes, which is sad, but it's business. We could lose Peyton, Wayne, Brackett, Mathis and Saturday. They'll sign Garçon I'm sure. No one knows at this point. It all depends on if they sign the sheriff.

You're saying Mathis wont be with us? Why are you speaking as if it's already happened? No link = it hasn't happened.

I dont Know were i read Freeny Works with Hughes but Mathis been asking for more money since the last offseason im guessing he is ganna want more than we can pay.

Uh... mmm... wha... nnn.... meh...

What!

Jerry Hughes is the worst first round draft pick that Bill Polian ever made. The guy was inactive for as many games as he was active and it wasn't because of injury. And that was with playing on a horrrible defense.

I would be very surprised if Hughes ever makes another teams 53 man squad after we let him go and in my opinion his days are over here as soon as the new coaches see him on tape.

You knew what "day would come"? The day you made a thread with a title that was incredibly misleading?