Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Tressel?/why Tressel Should Get The Job (Merge)

hoosiercoltsfan82

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of IU men's basketball. I have seen many compare Jim Caldwell to Mike Davis and I understand the correlation. But what really set IU back was Kelvin Sampson, a man who was already under scrutiny for cheating when he was hired.

It does bother me that Tressel didn't do the right thing. As an IU fan, I am still feeling the pain from the Sampson debacle. But, I do agree that the NFL isn't like college. I haven't read anything negative about Sampson since he left IU and became an assistant coach in the NBA. So if the Colts do decide to give Tressel the job, I will do my best to overlook his past and think postive thoughts.

Yeah while IU wasn't winning at the level IU fans wanted they were still winning under Mike Davis. Much like Caldwell he did take a team to a championship game early in his career there so I can see why people say that.

It's just harder to cheat at the pro-level. I mean at the NFL level you can buy players it's called free agency. Also from what I understand about Tressel he knew cheating was going on at Ohio State and was pretty much guilty of trying to cover it up. I really don't think he has to worry about his players here selling Colts gear for money. Still it's a little trouble some he didn't follow the rules but frankly like I said it's just harder to cheat at the NFL level than it is in college. We've seen what one major "cheating" issue in the NFL in recent memory vs. how many colleges that get busted for breaking rules? I guess I just don't see what happened at Ohio State being a problem at the NFL level.

Like I've said in other posts my major issue with Tressel is just I don't like his style of offense but like I also said he never had a Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck or even a RGIII at Ohio State and maybe if he did it would have changed. I trust Irsay and Grigson to get it right and frankly I am willing to admit they know much more about this than I do.

There's also not much reason to think that he'd try to implement the same system he used in college either. He's now spent the better part of a year observing the pro game up close, and I'm sure he's been asked before. For all we know, he's just being interviewed for a coordinator position.

If he were hired in some capacity, and Irsay and Grigson believed this to be the best decision, I would trust them. We've seen no reason not to.

I would like to see Tressel coaching the Colts. He's a proven winner in CFB and I think he would be a winner at the pro lv. Tressel has won 5 CFB national championships ( 4 at Youngstown and 1 at OS), 6 Big 10 championships and coach of the yr 12 times i think. In my opinion, I think you give Tressel a shot. I haven't cared for any of the other names I have heard tossed around. I imagine whoever is coach is going to have some major work to do with or without Peyton, a healthy Peyton would probably make that easier. I am definitely for Jim Tressel as HC of the Colts.

Zimmer or Carmichael for me. Another college coach failure with Tressel to NFL, Saben, Supperier, Erickson, Holtz,feel free to add more names. Are Tressel and Lindy Lafinate twins, sems like clones.

I don't care for Pete Carmichael, i think we all know Sean Payton runs the show in NO.

Why are people so high on him up till a month ago he was getting fired at the end of the season?

I don't know. He's just the only name I could think of that's come up in coaching searches, and is still in the playoffs.

He had the advantage of being interim HC in Buffalo, and they decided he wasn't for them.

Of coarse, you can make an argument against most any new HC, so I'm just gonna have to trust Irsay & Grigson on their choice.

JUST because Tressel WOULD be better than Caldwell doesn't mean HE should get the job. Is he the BEST for the job? No. I hope Irsay THINKS long and hard on this. Why SETTLE on Tressel a CONSERVATIVE low key (sound familiar) coach to bring in the "NEW" era of Colt's football? Even the talk of Tressel being oc is based on what? You already have that in Clyde. Without the GOAT that offense was SO basic and BORING. It was even painful to watch at times but STILL had Dallas, Reggie, Austin, Garcon, Joe, and Donald. Please don't go BACK to the same ol same ol. Go out and get the RISING star in the coaching ranks to MATCH the gm hire. Say NO to Tressel simply because there are BETTER options out there.

This Tressel interview thing is way overblown. I don't think he's really in the running

Hes been interviewed 2 times now and apparently the last time he was flown from FL to Indy on Irsays private jet. Irsay also said we will have a new HC next week .... I look to see Tressel named HC in a presser Monday. Either that or its more cat and mouse fodder from Irsay.... we shall see.

Hes been interviewed 2 times now and apparently the last time he was flown from FL to Indy on Irsays private jet. Irsay also said we will have a new HC next week .... I look to see Tressel named HC in a presser Monday.

So do I (don't know about Monday)and I wouldn't be upset about it. The guy has won and seems like a smart guy that can manage games and make adjustments. As long as we have good OC and DC we will be good to go. Tressel wouldn't be my first choice but I could live with it.

Tressel's Ohio St. led teams couldn't beat SEC teams in BCS title games. Sorry, I don't see this guy as a successful NFL coach.

Hmmm... maybe the NFL needs more Nick Sabans and Les Miles? Oh ... wait.. Saban had his shot.

Big Ten academic standards and SEC acadimic standards are 2 very different worlds.

Not to mention every time a Big Ten team plays ANY bowl game it is either in SEC country, Texas, or Califorinia.

I mean really. TBT travels every single postseason. The SEC plays in LA, GA, or FLA... you all don't think that comes into play?

All the while the BIg Ten is the second best conf. year in year out.

There's also not much reason to think that he'd try to implement the same system he used in college either. He's now spent the better part of a year observing the pro game up close, and I'm sure he's been asked before. For all we know, he's just being interviewed for a coordinator position.

If he were hired in some capacity, and Irsay and Grigson believed this to be the best decision, I would trust them. We've seen no reason not to.

This is a man of great insight. :)

Tressel's Ohio St. led teams couldn't beat SEC teams in BCS title games. Sorry, I don't see this guy as a successful NFL coach.

What makes a "successful" NFL coach?

Rah rah... in your face EGO from heck.... ie Saban, Spurrier, .....

or the Communicator ... ie Dungy, BB, Landry, Noll., Gibbs,???

Tress is a Dungy clone in white skin as far as "people skills" ... and as far as football "smarts"... Tress's resume is .... outstanding.

What makes a good NFL coach.... I think it is a "football smart man" who can "talk to men like men"..

I'm ready to sport my BLUE sweater vest. I think it is going to happen.

JT is a very charismatic mam, ... he will get the job.

This isn't really related to the Tressel at all, but towards our coaching search.

Have the Colts interviewed/talked with Zimmer yet or are they expecting/heard that they will soon?

From what I understand Zim has had an interview.... and I like him a lot.

Zim and Tress are my top picks.

I don't understand the whole "you have to be an emotional maniac on the sidelines" thing. What do you guys want Rex Ryan or maybe his fatter loud mouth brother Rob? I can't say I know a lot about Tressel or that I want him to be HC, but his sideline demeanor is the least of my worries. i'll take an 85% winning record anyday, my only concern with him is the lack of NFL experience. College is a whole different game.

I think Tressel could be successful in the NFL. He is an intelligent football guy that had good to great teams in college. Will that translate to the NFL? I don't know, but there is something about having a really football savvy guy on the sidelines thats intriguing,espesially after the last 3 yrs.. With all that said, Im still in on the Zimmer bandwagon. I don't care about his sideline demeanor, but he is a very good coach that seems to get the best from his players.

He just doesn't seem like the type to be a good NFL coach. He tends not to be aggressive. Not that it's a bad thing, but I fear the offense becoming way too predictable due to his history in college ranks. It's his style of play I don't like. The only good side is that his teams were historically sound on defense. If Tressel becomes the head coach, I hope he proves me wrong. If he does I'll admit I'm wrong. Yes, I'm an SEC fan and i don't think any coaches there would be successful in the NFL either. I'd just rather see someone with coaching experience in the pro ranks. In the college ranks, there is a noticeable different in talent level between teams than in the pros. Whoever management chooses I will support, all we do is give our opinion. After whoever is chosen, it's up to them to get the players ready to be successful.

He just doesn't seem like the type to be a good NFL coach. He tends not to be aggressive. Not that it's a bad thing, but I fear the offense becoming way too predictable due to his history in college ranks. It's his style of play I don't like. The only good side is that his teams were historically sound on defense. If Tressel becomes the head coach, I hope he proves me wrong. If he does I'll admit I'm wrong. Yes, I'm an SEC fan and i don't think any coaches there would be successful in the NFL either. I'd just rather see someone with coaching experience in the pro ranks. In the college ranks, there is a noticeable different in talent level between teams than in the pros. Whoever management chooses I will support, all we do is give our opinion. After whoever is chosen, it's up to them to get the players ready to be successful.

Golly how could I guess..........

Hmmm... maybe the NFL needs more Nick Sabans and Les Miles? Oh ... wait.. Saban had his shot.

Big Ten academic standards and SEC acadimic standards are 2 very different worlds.

Not to mention every time a Big Ten team plays ANY bowl game it is either in SEC country, Texas, or Califorinia.

I mean really. TBT travels every single postseason. The SEC plays in LA, GA, or FLA... you all don't think that comes into play?

All the while the BIg Ten is the second best conf. year in year out.

Miles an NFL coach, no thanks he's already nuts. You never know what's gonna come out of his mouth.

Golly how could I guess..........

I'm from the south can't you tell by my user name. I know more about the SEC than Big 10. That has nothing to do with it. I just don't like Tressel. I'm entitled to my opinion, just like you are. I can't help if I'd rather see a coach with NFL experience.

Ugh not the sweater vest. I hate Ohio St and have always hated Tressel. Having him as our coach will just be so dirty.

He could be good, but the odds are just against him. Most college coaches leave the NFL with their tails tucked between their legs and running back to college football.

Hopefully he leaves his reserved offense at Ohio St.

Ugh not the sweater vest. I hate Ohio St and have always hated Tressel. Having him as our coach will just be so dirty.

He could be good, but the odds are just against him. Most college coaches leave the NFL with their tails tucked between their legs and running back to college football.

Hopefully he leaves his reserved offense at Ohio St.

He will forgive U upon hire..

Colts don't need a poor character coach. He turns his head when players are doing things they shouldnt be doing. Plus he has zero emotion, worse than the last Jim. We need to move away from that. Also for me, I'm a HUGE Michigan fan and it would make me sick. I can't stand him being a part of the Colts organization.

Colts don't need a poor character coach. He turns his head when players are doing things they shouldnt be doing. Plus he has zero emotion, worse than the last Jim. We need to move away from that. Also for me, I'm a HUGE Michigan fan and it would make me sick. I can't stand him being a part of the Colts organization.

I agree. Bad chrcter since Maurice Clarett days. Clarett was no angel, but he called Tressel just right!!!