Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Tressel?/why Tressel Should Get The Job (Merge)

hoosiercoltsfan82

...okay, ONE last statement. I don't know why everyone here assumes what Tressel's style will be. When Dungy came, because of his background, everyone thought we would have one of the top dominant defenses in the league for years, because that was his background and his style. But he ADAPTED...he worked with what he had and built around that. I think Tressel, or ANY good coach worth his salt, would do exactly the same. Good coaches know how to adapt, adopt, and build. I know many of you will say Tressel can't and/or won't. I think he, along with most of the other candidates being mentioned, would do exactly that. So while Polian might have gone by the "past is prologue" theory, it ain't always so.

Thank YOU... great post.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone prove why he shouldn't be considered? I get the not liking him, but how does that reflect on his coaching per say?

I'll be honest, I dunno much about CFB or care much, but I know who has been around success, Ohio State has some.

He coached the Ohio State U. As someone stated earlier.... you either love him or hate him.

When simple facts are looked at Tress is as qualified if not more than any candidate the Colts have interviewed.

But he's not NEW ERA age, at 60

Josh McDaniels ring a bell? Was he good enough for you? didn't think so. New Era doesn't actually constitute being young bro.

Hire Tressel. He's the most qualified and already has about a full year of seeing what was clearly wrong with this team last year.

ALSO, looking up past espn story on our next HC. He had issues at Youngstown (before Ohio State) with some violations there too (again with a QB). It also spoke of his religious background, and for Rev. irsay that could be the key to hire him as HC of the COLTS.

Pat Mc ... is .... kinda ... ummmmmmm... unreliable? maybe?

I guarantee you all ... Tress is a "legit" prospect.... And with Fish off the market... Seriously, who is really better qualified?

Tress is a Dungy / Noll personality type.... If given the chance I would bet the ..... well ... my back yard Sweater V does a "great" job.

I am actually geeked to hear TSV gets a chance at it....

And yes I am a OSU fan..........

With all due repsect and I really do mean that because I do respect you. I think Pat is a better source than any of us are. I mean he does play for the team and was around him. I only remember that interview because as soon as Pat said the players didn't see a lot of Tressel he said he did talk to him more than he did the Special Teams coach and I made up my mind right then that the Special Teams coach needed to go.

I am not saying Tressel isn't a legit prospect. I think the fact he is getting an interview shows he is very much a legit prospect. It depends on what you look for in qualifications to argue who is better qualified. One can make the case he doesn't really have much NFL coaching experience but at the sametime you can argue he's the only name other than Chip Kelly and Brad Childress that has come up that has head coaching experience. So it depends on what you value. I would rather have him over Chip Kelly just because Tressel's college system looked like something that would work in the NFL better than Kelly's.

Personally what he got fired for at Ohio State doesn't mean a lot to me because other than it being the target of jokes he's not going to have to face anything like that in the NFL. If he was going for a college job it would bother me but not a pro job. It bothers me a little bit he didn't do the right thing when he had a chance to do it but it's not nearly as bad as some other things coaches have done and have gotten jobs again.

I mean for real now, does Irsay want to put the COLTS through a PR farce of hiring a scandal ridden former coach that had issues at 2 programs? Will be interesting though seeing him being paraded around during Super bowl week to be asked those scandal questions.

...okay, ONE last statement. I don't know why everyone here assumes what Tressel's style will be. When Dungy came, because of his background, everyone thought we would have one of the top dominant defenses in the league for years, because that was his background and his style. But he ADAPTED...he worked with what he had and built around that. I think Tressel, or ANY good coach worth his salt, would do exactly the same. Good coaches know how to adapt, adopt, and build. I know many of you will say Tressel can't and/or won't. I think he, along with most of the other candidates being mentioned, would do exactly that. So while Polian might have gone by the "past is prologue" theory, it ain't always so.

I disagree with part of that. It's called a system for a reason. If people listened to what Polian said when Dungy was hired he said they wanted to someone to bring in a more simple system than what they had at the time when Dungy was hired and Dungy did that by bringing his Tampa 2 here. Polian pretty much told people the reason they needed to make a change with the defense is that they were going to spend money on offense and not the defense and that they needed something that young players could pick up. So other than people who were ignoring what Polian was saying when Dungy was hired and only looked at the Tampa teams thought we were going to bulid a great defense here. Dungy also made it known when he came in here he wasn't going to touch the offense.

I will agree with you that Dungy worked very well with what he had but he also made sure he got players that worked well in his system. We had a lot of players who wouldn't have worked well on other team that worked well here because of Dungy's system. Make no mistake about it Dungy had a system and brought it here with him.

Tressel is going to have a system as well and bring it with him. His system isn't very QB friendly. Now with that said he never had a QB to the level of Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck or RGIII when he was at Ohio State. He might very well look at that and adjust things. Also, he might do something like what Dungy did and keep Christensen in place (notice he still hasn't been fired yet) and keep Christensen's offense in place in which case I would have a lot less issue with him being hired other than I just look at college coaches coming to the NFL and don't like their track records as a whole. Other than Harbaugh who had some NFL experience as the Raiders QB coach and as a player the last one to come from college and just be a huge success was what Bill Walsh? With that said, if Irsay and Grigson thinks Tressel is the best guy they can get I am willing to admit they are in a better spot than I am to make that call.

I mean for real now, does Irsay want to put the COLTS through a PR farce of hiring a scandal ridden former coach that had issues at 2 programs? Will be interesting though seeing him being paraded around during Super bowl week to be asked those scandal questions.

If you are going to make this move the Super Bowl is the time to do it because it'll be a story for a day or two (on the national level) and then it'll go away because of the Super Bowl.

Isray and Grigson are the ones interviewing all these candidates for countless hours and I'm sure they are not leaving any stone unturned. They will know a lot more about these guys than we will ever hope to know. I trust they will hire a good guy consistent with what direction they are wanting to go. If it is Tressel I trust their instincts. At least the guy has won and seems like a smart guy that at least will know how to manage a game and make in game adjustments.

He has far more experience and far more success than the guy we just fired.

Many people feel that Tressel was a defensive coach and I'm not quite sure why. OSU did have some strong defenses and their offense was a little lacking more times than not, but Tressel has always been on the offensive side of the ball.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but I feel he would be an upgrade to what we had based on experience alone. We could hire a worse coach.

The fact of the matter is people here have an idea of who they really want, or who they would pick if it was up to them. When the decision is made and it's not their guy some are going to be upset, some are going to question the choice, that's just how it goes.

Hopefully we can get someone that can push the franchise forward as opposed to holding it back.

Im just saying that I dont really want a guy to bring up the new QB who was last coaching at a place where he got his pick of 5* recruits, yet his best QB project is Troy Smith?

Might as well call Joe Tiller for coach, he has no NFL exoerience either, but at least he has put several QBs imto the NFL and more in other pro leagues. Btw Im not seriously advocating Tiller.

The track record of college coaches turned NFL isnt great, the lone exceptin lately is Harbaugh.

When I say I don't want to see Tressel as HC, it's not so much based on his coaching ability, it's because of Jim Tressel the person. I've never been a fan of his or Ohio State.

His offense is really bland, but the best coaches make adjustments to their schemes to fit his players and I think Tressel would do that. And with Grigson saying he wants a leader, JT is definitely a leader no doubting that.

However I must reiterate I do not like Jim Tressel the person, the man wrote a book about being honest when he lies to compliance directors, and Ohio State is by far my least favorite athletic program in all the lands and I can't bring my self to support him and I would have an awfuly hard time supporting the Colts going forward if he is indeed the choice.

Sorgi's # 1 asset as a player was his knowledge of the offense.. He wouldn't be a bad QB coach.

I was going to say it's not unheard of for career back up QBs like Sorgi was to become QB coaches and just go into coaching in general. I am not saying I am calling for Sorgi to come to Indy as our QB coach but it wouldn't shock me if he ended up in coaching.

Exactly. The haters sound like a bunch of whiny little children. I dislike the U. Of Michigan, but that has no bearing on how I view Colts players like Jim Harbaugh or Marlin Jackson. I feel the same toward The U, but I'm a fan of Edge and Reggie Wayne. Once they put on the horseshoe, we're on the same side.

Exactly. The haters sound like a bunch of whiny little children. I dislike the U. Of Michigan, but that has no bearing on how I view Colts players like Jim Harbaugh or Marlin Jackson. I feel the same toward The U, but I'm a fan of Edge and Reggie Wayne. Once they put on the horseshoe, we're on the same side.

The real question is did the fact you dislike Michigan keep you from declaring Mike Hart the greatest Colts player to ever wear the horse shoe?

Big deal that Tressel didn't sell out a couple of his players because they got free tats and they sold some memorabilia. Im glad the Colts don't make these decisions with college bias.

I got no trouble with Tressel as HC, but I got nuked on here when I mentioned him as a possible candidate on the day of Polian's firing and everyone was expecting Caldwell to be fired next. He's from a family steeped in football experience and was extremely successful at Ohio St. Regardless of who is HC, if we draft Luck, we need a West Coast Offense guru as OC. Luck's athleticism makes him a perfect West Coast QB IMHO. He could be a straight drop-back passer, but I think that would waste some of his talents.

Can anyone prove why he shouldn't be considered? I get the not liking him, but how does that reflect on his coaching per say?

I'll be honest, I dunno much about CFB or care much, but I know who has been around success, Ohio State has some.

Consider this. There were 7 HC vacancies this year. There are still 3 teams in the NFL without a Head Coach.... NOBODY WANTS TRESSEL.... Who the *#^* wants a guy who nobody else wants????double-facepalm1.jpg

When I say I don't want to see Tressel as HC, it's not so much based on his coaching ability, it's because of Jim Tressel the person. I've never been a fan of his or Ohio State.

His offense is really bland, but the best coaches make adjustments to their schemes to fit his players and I think Tressel would do that. And with Grigson saying he wants a leader, JT is definitely a leader no doubting that.

However I must reiterate I do not like Jim Tressel the person, the man wrote a book about being honest when he lies to compliance directors, and Ohio State is by far my least favorite athletic program in all the lands and I can't bring my self to support him and I would have an awfuly hard time supporting the Colts going forward if he is indeed the choice.

/\ /\ /\ /\ THIS /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

I hope those threatening to not renew their season tickets if Tressel is hired make good on that threat. Maybe it will make it easier for me to relocate into better seats.

If you think hiring another crappy coach won't affect ticket sales ya better think again Look at the Dolphins and all the front office mistakes they've made. Look at them now. If Tressel is hired we will become the Detroit Lions before they got Stafford

Consider this. There were 7 HC vacancies this year. There are still 3 teams in the NFL without a Head Coach.... NOBODY WANTS TRESSEL.... Who the *#^* wants a guy who nobody else wants????double-facepalm1.jpg

By that logic, anybody we hire would be someone nobody wanted, at this point.

If you think hiring another crappy coach won't affect ticket sales ya better think again Look at the Dolphins and all the front office mistakes they've made. Look at them now. If Tressel is hired we will become the Detroit Lions before they got Stafford

Would he have to lose first, or is he automatically a mistake?

Wrong... There are still 4 Teams left in the playoffs..... They have coachs that will draw way more interest than Jim Friggin Tressel...

Those coaches are still able to interview, the team just needs permission to interview them.

You don't hear any of their names even come up.

Personally what he got fired for at Ohio State doesn't mean a lot to me because other than it being the target of jokes he's not going to have to face anything like that in the NFL. If he was going for a college job it would bother me but not a pro job. It bothers me a little bit he didn't do the right thing when he had a chance to do it but it's not nearly as bad as some other things coaches have done and have gotten jobs again.

This reminds me of IU men's basketball. I have seen many compare Jim Caldwell to Mike Davis and I understand the correlation. But what really set IU back was Kelvin Sampson, a man who was already under scrutiny for cheating when he was hired.

It does bother me that Tressel didn't do the right thing. As an IU fan, I am still feeling the pain from the Sampson debacle. But, I do agree that the NFL isn't like college. I haven't read anything negative about Sampson since he left IU and became an assistant coach in the NBA. So if the Colts do decide to give Tressel the job, I will do my best to overlook his past and think postive thoughts.