Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Tressel?/why Tressel Should Get The Job (Merge)

hoosiercoltsfan82

Tressel was a very good college coach, contrary to what has become popular opinion among Colts fans who don't like him as a prospect. He has a very impressive resume, albeit in college and not the pros. But it's pretty obvious that he loves coaching, and that's probably why he hopped over to the NFL as soon as he could.

However, if you didn't like Tony Dungy or Jim Caldwell because of their conservative coaching style, then you won't like Jim Tressel. He's been quoted as saying that the punt is the most important play in football. Nothing wrong with punting, but when you make a comment like that, it indicates just how conservative your coaching style is.

I personally don't mind conservative coaching, but I think there's a time and a place to be aggressive. I think if you have a good offense and a good quarterback, 4th and anything less than 5 is a good bet, so long as you're in plus territory. Weigh that against the possibility of your punter putting the ball in the endzone for a touchback, and you're looking at a 20-30 yard difference in exchange for the possibility of converting and keeping your defense on the sideline. Tressel, on the other hand, can't wait to get his defense back on the field. Always had good defenses, though, so it's somewhat understandable.

He helped no-name quarterbacks play well enough to win national championships and even a Heisman. As a Big Ten school, Ohio State was never the most athletic, never the fastest. But they always played well, were always in the national championship picturel, and so on. He won Division II championships at Youngstown State. By whatever metric you want to measure him by, he was a good coach.

The only real knock against him is that he has no NFL experience. Zero. Unlike Jim Harbaugh or Pete Carroll, both of whom had extensive NFL coaching experience, Tressel's first NFL experience is as a game day consultant for the Colts. And he was suspended for the first six games of the season, so he has two and a half months of NFL time so far.

I don't really care about the Ohio State "scandal." I think it was grossly overblown, and although he was clearly in the wrong and deserved the penalties he received, my disdain for the NCAA makes it hard for me to take his transgressions seriously. Mountain out of a molehill, if you ask me.

So yeah, I can defend him against the criticisms being levied right now. But he's still not someone I'd want to coach my team. Far too conservative for my tastes.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I don't think there would be many "scandal" questions since this isn't the NCAA and no one cares about a college player getting a free tattoo anymore.

It would be about a college great coming in to start a new era for the Colts.

Please explain why none of the other 8 NFL teams who had Head Coaching vacancies interviewed Tressel? Please explain why Tressel wasn't interviewed for one of the numerous Assistant Coaching vacancies? Why should the Colts have to scrape from the bottom of the barrel?

So if we all basically agree that the NCAA is messed up and corrupt and generates more money that the NFL, what does that have to do with the guys "football" credentials? He had to much at stake to be keeping his mouth shut over something as trivial as jerseys for tats. In a X's and O's sense I'm against being blindly against or for, because I've noticed that generally Ohio State fans have been the most enthusiastic about this possibility that really doesn't surprise me, but the people who are against him won't point out the character flaws so much, I've just noticed a general unsubstantiated "football" dislike for him.

I dunno where I come down.

I think he's a very good coach with a very good resume. My only knocks against him are that he's uber-conservative, and he has zero NFL experience. The former being more important to me than the latter.

Please explain why none of the other 8 NFL teams who had Head Coaching vacancies interviewed Tressel? Please explain why Tressel wasn't interviewed for one of the numerous Assistant Coaching vacancies? Why should the Colts have to scrape from the bottom of the barrel?

We just have a different list. The only head coach that's been hired that I'm sad we missed out on so far is Joe Philbin. I liked Mike Mularkey, but not that much. It's not like we're missing out on all these great candidates. There's still plenty of good candidates left, including probably the most reputable in Mike Zimmer.

I don't want Tressel, but I don't know why so many fans think the Colts are missing out. Fact is, Tressel has a great college resume and we could do a lot worse, on paper.

We just have a different list. The only head coach that's been hired that I'm sad we missed out on so far is Joe Philbin. I liked Mike Mularkey, but not that much. It's not like we're missing out on all these great candidates. There's still plenty of good candidates left, including probably the most reputable in Mike Zimmer.

I don't want Tressel, but I don't know why so many fans think the Colts are missing out. Fact is, Tressel has a great college resume and we could do a lot worse, on paper.

haha Different list? Thats a good one....You made it funny... rotflmao

It really doesn't but I was answering someone elses question before you decided to go liberal justice on me..

Were on a fan forum. If I want to say I respect Tressel because he is a man of faith, I have every right to do so. Just like you have every reason to say you don't like him because he is a man of faith.

Kravitz doesn't know anything either as I already stated. At this point he's not anymore knowledgeable than joe blow.

Don't worry about them buddy. Funny how every day we are bombarded by & subjected to filth and secularism and we are supposed to just accept it as entertainment or "political correctness" but the minute someone mentions that they admire a man's spiritual faith some folks all of a sudden want to break out the muzzles. Count it not strange...It's the times we are living in my friend.

So the FACT that NO OTHER TEAMS were the least bit interested in Tressel is a good thing right?

Wow. What a straw man.

Tressel isn't on my list either. I don't want him. I'm not interested in defending him, really, except I see a lot of people calling him a bad coach, which flies in the face of reality, considering his record in college. He was obviously a good coach.

All I'm saying, to your point, is that the fact that he hasn't been linked to any other teams isn't really relevant to whether he's a good coach or not. You don't really know that no one else was interested. He could have turned down interviews that we no nothing about.

I don't mean to play devil's advocate. I don't want the guy. I just don't think your criticism is relevant, or necessarily even accurate.

Wow. What a straw man.

All I'm saying, to your point, is that the fact that he hasn't been linked to any other teams isn't really relevant to whether he's a good coach or not. You don't really know that no one else was interested. He could have turned down interviews that we no nothing about.

I don't mean to play devil's advocate. I don't want the guy. I just don't think your criticism is relevant, or necessarily even accurate.

rotflmao Prove me wrong then........ :thanks:

Some of these comments are just unusual...

People hatin on Tressel all day it seems... I don't understand why. The only thing you've got against him is that he made a mistake by not telling the NCAA that his players broke the rules. I haven't seen one piece of evidence against his coaching, just a bunch of opinions.

It's a FACT that no other team is/was interested in Tressel.............Go ahead and try to prove me wrong since your boy "superman" chose not to accept the challenge...... :neener:

Just wondering, but do you know what the word immature means?

And why don't you prove that Jim Tressel was never offered an interview or contacted by another team? We are all waiting...

Some of these comments are just unusual... People hatin on Tressel all day it seems... I don't understand why. The only thing you've got against him is that he made a mistake by not telling the NCAA that his players broke the rules. I haven't seen one piece of evidence against his coaching, just a bunch of opinions.

Only opinions on both sides of the argument. Jim Tressel is not the man to lead this franchise into a "new era" in my "opinion" what NFL coaching experience does he have? None! Let me think, I believe most on here would just crawl around "panting" if Nick Saban were to show interest, OH God we have to get Saban he has won national titles and his grandmother likes ice cream. Well how did that work out for Miami? I remember him tucking his tail and running to Alabama to save the embarrassment.

All most people are trying to say is we have a rookie GM, possibly a rookie QB, and now everyone wants a rookie HC to?

I bet you have heard this before "come on man".

Vince lombardi could be resurected and be an option to this team.....

If he was the coach that beat some folk's on this boards college team

He would be panned

Tressel probably is not going to get the nod....... Lots of wasted dialog

The guy is a winner..... Always has been. Regardless of the hate.

We need a defensive minded HC

rotflmao Prove me wrong then........ :thanks:

That is absolutely, 100%, not the issue. It doesn't matter whether any other teams were interested. Whether you're right or not, it doesn't mean he's not a good coach.

And again, I don't want the freakin' guy. Don't know what your objective is.

Only opinions on both sides of the argument. Jim Tressel is not the man to lead this franchise into a "new era" in my "opinion" what NFL coaching experience does he have? None! Let me think, I believe most on here would just crawl around "panting" if Nick Saban were to show interest, OH God we have to get Saban he has won national titles and his grandmother likes ice cream. Well how did that work out for Miami? I remember him tucking his tail and running to Alabama to save the embarrassment.

All most people are trying to say is we have a rookie GM, possibly a rookie QB, and now everyone wants a rookie HC to?

I bet you have heard this before "come on man".

We don't need to go into "a new era," just trade away the #1 pick to add a bunch of talent to the team. I like the era we've had over the last decade and it wouldn't be a good idea to move away from it. We just need a couple of pieces on defense and maybe an OG, then I think we'll get back to some awesome colts football!

Does anyone know what type of coach Jim Tressel is? I've heard he's offensive minded, I've heard he's defensive minded, so I have no idea. I would guess that he is a defensive minded coach as Ohio State usually had a very good defense. He ran more of a Big 10 pro-style team so I think he could be a good NFL coach, as long as Peyton Manning is leading the team. I think Tressel might hire Caldwell on as the quarterbacks coach as well, seeing as how Caldwell is a good QB coach and how he gave Tressel a hand when he was at a pretty low point after he resigned from Ohio State. The more familiar this place is too Manning, the more he will like it. Tom Moore for offensive coordinator!!! Jim Irsay should give him a call and see if he wants to come back to coaching!

Does anyone know what type of coach Jim Tressel is? I've heard he's offensive minded, I've heard he's defensive minded, so I have no idea. I would guess that he is a defensive minded coach as Ohio State usually had a very good defense. He ran more of a Big 10 pro-style team so I think he could be a good NFL coach, as long as Peyton Manning is leading the team. I think Tressel might hire Caldwell on as the quarterbacks coach as well, seeing as how Caldwell is a good QB coach and how he gave Tressel a hand when he was at a pretty low point after he resigned from Ohio State. The more familiar this place is too Manning, the more he will like it. Tom Moore for offensive coordinator!!! Jim Irsay should give him a call and see if he wants to come back to coaching!

He has an offensive background, but he favors a conservative offensive approach with heavy reliance on his defense. I would go so far as to say that he's even more conservative than Dungy and Caldwell. People were upset that Caldwell chose to run three times at the end of the half in the Super Bowl (which I think was the right decision), but that's Tressel all day long.

He has an offensive background, but he favors a conservative offensive approach with heavy reliance on his defense. I would go so far as to say that he's even more conservative than Dungy and Caldwell. People were upset that Caldwell chose to run three times at the end of the half in the Super Bowl (which I think was the right decision), but that's Tressel all day long.

More conservative than Tony Dungy and Jim Caldwell? That's very hard to beat, I'd say he is equally conservative.

Tressel NO!!!!! I would take either Zimmer or Pagano in a heartbeat but now that Marc Trestman's name has come up I think he would do WONDERS for either Luck or RGIII. Check out his resume and it's VERY impressive. I just hope the hc is named soon so all the speculation will be over and WHOEVER that might be I'm excited to see who he brings in on his coaching staff. Oh the anticipation.... :excited:

It's a FACT that no other team is/was interested in Tressel.............Go ahead and try to prove me wrong since your boy "superman" chose not to accept the challenge...... :neener:

Uh uh you gotta back up your facts first! :neener:

Lol. Teams are pretty open about who they are interested in but just because we didn't hear of anyone interviewing or having interest in him, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Uh uh you gotta back up your facts first! :neener:

Lol. Teams are pretty open about who they are interested in but just because we didn't hear of anyone interviewing or having interest in him, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

:slaphead: Edit I say it's a fact that No one else wanted Tressel. Yet, you and a few other say I'm wrong, but not one of you has offered one little smidgen of proof that shows I'm wrong.... I'm still waiting//// Edited by Coltssouth
Personal shot

Number 1 Tressel has baggage, maybe that is why he is not getting other interviews. No. 2, What in the world makes you think Pagano is bottom of the barrell. I think this will be a home run, my lord let the get here before you start hating. His peers speak very highly of him, what is your bottom of the barrell based on?

Tressel NO!!!!! I would take either Zimmer or Pagano in a heartbeat but now that Marc Trestman's name has come up I think he would do WONDERS for either Luck or RGIII. Check out his resume and it's VERY impressive. I just hope the hc is named soon so all the speculation will be over and WHOEVER that might be I'm excited to see who he brings in on his coaching staff. Oh the anticipation.... :excited:

Maybe Trestman could be OC, NOW THAT WOULD BE IDEAL.