Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Tressel?/why Tressel Should Get The Job (Merge)

hoosiercoltsfan82

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please find me a "major" collge football program that doesn't have "violations"....

Sigh... geez... Paterno put up with a child molester for 15 years yet some are acting like Tress killed his QB after a L...

I don't get it. None of these programs are "free" of incedint. None of them.

This I absolutely agree unless you're Northwestern or Vanderbilt maybe. All of them definitely have players on police blotters. These schools haven't played for championships lately but are considered major schools.

So if we all basically agree that the NCAA is messed up and corrupt and generates more money that the NFL, what does that have to do with the guys "football" credentials? He had to much at stake to be keeping his mouth shut over something as trivial as jerseys for tats. In a X's and O's sense I'm against being blindly against or for, because I've noticed that generally Ohio State fans have been the most enthusiastic about this possibility that really doesn't surprise me, but the people who are against him won't point out the character flaws so much, I've just noticed a general unsubstantiated "football" dislike for him.

I dunno where I come down.

So if we all basically agree that the NCAA is messed up and corrupt and generates more money that the NFL, what does that have to do with the guys "football" credentials? He had to much at stake to be keeping his mouth shut over something as trivial as jerseys for tats. In a X's and O's sense I'm against being blindly against or for, because I've noticed that generally Ohio State fans have been the most enthusiastic about this possibility that really doesn't surprise me, but the people who are against him won't point out the character flaws so much, I've just noticed a general unsubstantiated "football" dislike for him.

I dunno where I come down.

keep listening to Zappa and it wil all come to you.... :)

Tress is qualifed.. Tress is the best candidate. of the known ones.

OSU is not a Div 3 outfit. They are top of the food chain in the NCAA. Next to maybe Texas only in terms of sports related revenue.

And I agree with that. I think the Tressel infractions are a bit overblown, but I'm still trying to figure out how you think Belichick and Vick got off easy or something. One was fined more than any coach in NFL history, cost his team an extra $250,000, and had to give up a first rounder. The only charges that were brought up was a $100 million dollar lawsuit from a safety of the Rams, who's own lawyer dropped it due to the impossible nature of getting the tapes/records.

My point was that your premise is wrong. You don't need to attack two people who took their punishment to argue Tressel's case. It's actually counterproductive when you seem to imply that those guys somehow got off, reputation untarnished, and Tressel is being drug through the mud. Keep in mind that this is the season directly after. Vick and Belichick still had it really bad at this point, with Vick having it really bad into his first season back.

I'm sorry, I am one who thinks tehy did pay, well, I don't know about the Pats, but Vick did, I should've cleared that up sooner... I believe in second chances, and I believe in redemption...

Jim Tressel has been characterized as boring, too conservative, and inexperienced at the NFL level by many on this board. Years ago, similar criticisms were made against a coach named Tom Landry. How did he turn out?

To put Tom Landry and TRESSEL in the SAME breath is definately a STRETCH. As the NFL evolved Tom's STYLE was outdated thus him being fired and REPLACED by the POLAR opposite Jimmy Johnson who went on to win MORE :lombardi:'s than Tom.

Grady and Big Joe both came out today and said they are "hearing" ... that Tress will in fact get the gig. And Christenson will be held over as OC..

DC?

Can only HOPE this is NOT the case. Irsay speaks of GREATNESS and THIS tag team will be part of the same ol same ol that the Colts have had in the past. A sub par CONSERVATIVE coaching staff RELYING on a franchise qb to pile up REGULAR season wins. EVEN if you PAIR Tressel with a RISING star oc that will CREATE an EXPLOSIVE offense, the HEAD coach will believe in PLAYING it close to the VEST (no pun intended haha) punting, field position and field goals aka SCARED football. Clyde is TERRIBLE and WITHOUT the GOAT that offense was HARD to watch. Not only basic but LACKED any type of imagination to generate points. The playcalling SPOKE for itself. So WHOEVER the dc is he BETTER be able to devise a scheme to HOLD opponents to under 12pts a game!!!! :facepalm:

To put Tom Landry and TRESSEL in the SAME breath is definately a STRETCH. As the NFL evolved Tom's STYLE was outdated thus him being fired and REPLACED by the POLAR opposite Jimmy Johnson who went on to win MORE :lombardi:'s than Tom.

Can only HOPE this is NOT the case. Irsay speaks of GREATNESS and THIS tag team will be part of the same ol same ol that the Colts have had in the past. A sub par CONSERVATIVE coaching staff RELYING on a franchise qb to pile up REGULAR season wins. EVEN if you PAIR Tressel with a RISING star oc that will CREATE an EXPLOSIVE offense, the HEAD coach will believe in PLAYING it close to the VEST (no pun intended haha) punting, field position and field goals aka SCARED football. Clyde is TERRIBLE and WITHOUT the GOAT that offense was HARD to watch. Not only basic but LACKED any type of imagination to generate points. The playcalling SPOKE for itself. So WHOEVER the dc is he BETTER be able to devise a scheme to HOLD opponents to under 12pts a game!!!! :facepalm:

Jimmy Johnson did not win more championships than Landry.

After quite a bit of thought and research on the subject of who gets the gig as the Colts Head Coach, I believe Jim Tressel is the right man for the job. First off, the NCAA issue. I think way too much was made of a couple dumb college players trading memorabilia for tattoos. The likely story is that he found out it happened after the fact, swept it under the rug, and moved on to more pressing issues...

...like winning championships!

Face it, he didn't do anything even remotely close to what the Patriots pulled on the professional level. On the philosophy side, Tressel is known as a guy that is exceptional at developing skill positions (QB, RB, WR), his style of coaching is to keep games tight with tough defense (which has been missing here for some time now), and he's been quoted as saying that the punt is the most important play in the game, so you know he holds special teams play in high regard.

Ultimately, with the hiring of Tressel and a solid supporting staff of coordinators (Zimmer & Kromer hopefully), the return of Peyton (which is happening), and a youth injection via the draft, we'll be back to form in no time. Just read this, it may sway your opinion if you're against the hiring of Jim Tressel:

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Jim_Tressel

Is not there an endless post on him, more then I care to see

I apologize for challenging you to a bit of reading on an important subject that is completely relevant to this forum. I'll try to convey my future opinions in acronymns and replies of a maximum of one sentence...

Not true, we have proven we can win very well and still have coaches and players with good character. Another thing that some of us have been spoiled with. Nice to be fans of a team that supplies such good role models. That will end with this hire. You cant demand from your players what you dont out of your coach. The domino effect happens.

The likely story is that he found out it happened after the fact, swept it under the rug, and moved on to more pressing issues... ...like winning championships! Face it, he didn't do anything even remotely close to what the Patriots pulled on the professional level. http://en.wikipedia....iki/Jim_Tressel

he lost his job over the incident. i'm sure it was just a little issue swept under the rug. no wrong doing. people lose their jobs for something so little all the time

While he doesn't have NFL experience, he does have experience of being the mastermind of football team. I think he'd be a great asset to our inexperienced GM since he knows how to build a team. Plus, as stated above, he'd give a team philosophy/identity to the Colts.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 27, 2012 - Religious
Hidden by Nadine, January 27, 2012 - Religious

Saw this. I think when you put the character issue aside, which for some people who have this "holyier than thou" attitude have trouble doing, theres no coach more qualified.

I like Jim Tressel, but there is one thing that I'm not sure about. I love the fact that Tony Dungy and Jim Caldwell were strong christians who were great role models for their players. That is important in developing a great team environment and a strong locker room. Since I don't know much about Tressel's non coaching life, does anyone know if he is a strong christian?

Tressel messed up at the college level, but I don't really know what else he would do. He could have told the NCAA what they did, but then his team would have lost a lot of their starters and talent. Would you do that? The right answer is to tell the NCAA but it's a very difficult decision to make.

I like Jim Tressel, but there is one thing that I'm not sure about. I love the fact that Tony Dungy and Jim Caldwell were strong christians who were great role models for their players. That is important in developing a great team environment and a strong locker room. Since I don't know much about Tressel's non coaching life, does anyone know if he is a strong christian?

Tressel messed up at the college level, but I don't really know what else he would do. He could have told the NCAA what they did, but then his team would have lost a lot of their starters and talent. Would you do that? The right answer is to tell the NCAA but it's a very difficult decision to make.

Yes, he and his family are strong Christians (something I personally like to see as well) and have done a lot of faith-based initiatives:

http://www.ccci.org/...jim-tressel.htm

Yes, he and his family are strong Christians (something I personally like to see as well) and have done a lot of faith-based initiatives:

Great! That makes me feel quite a bit better about him!

A strong christian man makes a good leader, that's why Dungy and Caldwell were so respected by their players.

For those thinking Zimmer, Pagano, or almost any other coordinator are going to leave their current posistions for a lateral move, It's not going to happen.

Actually it could, but it just depends what they want to do. A pay raise and other factors could contribute to a coach making a lateral move, kind of like what Greg Williams did going from the Saints to the Rams.

Actually it could, but it just depends what they want to do. A pay raise and other factors could contribute to a coach making a lateral move, kind of like what Greg Williams did going from the Saints to the Rams.

Williams' contract was up. Pagano and Zimmer are still under contracted. Their teams likely won't allow it.

I think thats because Williams and Fisher are old buddies though. To my knowledge, Tressel has no friendly connections to either Zimmer or Pagano. Don't matter though because I don't think Tressel will be the new HC.

Its really hard to believe what these bloggers and writers are saying because nearly ALL of them were wrong about Caldwell staying. Most of their reasoning is their own personal biasis towards Tressel. Either because of what he did at Ohio State or the fact that they couldn't stand Ohio State (ie. michigan fans).

Why

Why does his religion matter? It is not like him being a Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or Flying Spaghetti Monster follower will make him a better coach. I would actually prefer not to have a strong religious person as our coach so we do not have to be bombarded with it all the time.

Kravitz is tweeting that Tressel is not in the running for the head coach so hopefully we will not have to see the sweatervest roaming our sidelines.

Why

Why does his religion matter? It is not like him being a Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or Flying Spaghetti Monster follower will make him a better coach. I would actually prefer not to have a strong religious person as our coach so we do not have to be bombarded with it all the time.

Kravitz is tweeting that Tressel is not in the running for the head coach so hopefully we will not have to see the sweatervest roaming our sidelines.

It really doesn't but I was answering someone elses question before you decided to go liberal justice on me..

Were on a fan forum. If I want to say I respect Tressel because he is a man of faith, I have every right to do so. Just like you have every reason to say you don't like him because he is a man of faith.

Kravitz doesn't know anything either as I already stated. At this point he's not anymore knowledgeable than joe blow.

Why

Just a guess, but I think Tressel was interviewed for a front office posistion of some capacity.

After quite a bit of thought and research on the subject of who gets the gig as the Colts Head Coach, I believe Jim Tressel is the right man for the job. First off, the NCAA issue. I think way too much was made of a couple dumb college players trading memorabilia for tattoos. The likely story is that he found out it happened after the fact, swept it under the rug, and moved on to more pressing issues...

...like winning championships!

Face it, he didn't do anything even remotely close to what the Patriots pulled on the professional level. On the philosophy side, Tressel is known as a guy that is exceptional at developing skill positions (QB, RB, WR), his style of coaching is to keep games tight with tough defense (which has been missing here for some time now), and he's been quoted as saying that the punt is the most important play in the game, so you know he holds special teams play in high regard.

Ultimately, with the hiring of Tressel and a solid supporting staff of coordinators (Zimmer & Kromer hopefully), the return of Peyton (which is happening), and a youth injection via the draft, we'll be back to form in no time. Just read this, it may sway your opinion if you're against the hiring of Jim Tressel:

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Jim_Tressel

ROTFL....... gtho

I mean for real now, does Irsay want to put the COLTS through a PR farce of hiring a scandal ridden former coach that had issues at 2 programs? Will be interesting though seeing him being paraded around during Super bowl week to be asked those scandal questions.

Actually I don't think there would be many "scandal" questions since this isn't the NCAA and no one cares about a college player getting a free tattoo anymore.

It would be about a college great coming in to start a new era for the Colts.

Posted · Hidden by Nadine, January 25, 2012 - Religious Shot/Inflammatory
Hidden by Nadine, January 25, 2012 - Religious Shot/Inflammatory

It really doesn't but I was answering someone elses question before you decided to go liberal justice on me..

Were on a fan forum. If I want to say I respect Tressel because he is a man of faith, I have every right to do so. Just like you have every reason to say you don't like him because he is a man of faith.

Kravitz doesn't know anything either as I already stated. At this point he's not anymore knowledgeable than joe blow.

What he's getting at is more and more Americans are growing tired of having the Bible and its supporters shoved in their face everyday..... Fun fact: Faith: (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof (2): complete trust..... A similar word would be "fantasy"...... But you can believe what you want just remember that not everyone wants to here it all the time. This is the very same reason so many people find Tim Tebow nauseating. :thanks: