Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Tressel?/why Tressel Should Get The Job (Merge)

hoosiercoltsfan82

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just come down to the south and you will see just how wrong you are...

Ha! You may have unwittingly hit the answer in this post. If you live in the SOUTH, you are more than likely an SEC fan (or ACC based on the 'Canes avatar). SEC fans (and ACC fans) don't seem to like BIG TEN people. Living in the South, more people are likely to dislike Tressel.

You really don't know what you are talking about. That's not a character issue at all. Let me put it to you like this and I've used this example before.

Lets say in theory (I dont know how old you are but just work with me here) you go to Mcdonalds after Ohio States big win over Michigan and your son is the starting QB for the team. The manager notices this and says "hey your kids that Ohio State QB, meals on me tonight guys good win!". You and your son gladly accept and smash 4 Big Macs in a matter of minutes. BEEEP you just violated the NCAA rules.

I agree, and this type of thing is itself is an indightment of the NCAA rules. People do celebrities favors the world over. It's trivial, and trying to micromanage it is a waste of time. Big state universities around the country are essentially using tax payer dollars to provide free educations (worth tens of thousands of dollars) to athletes in return for them playing sports - in the hopes of them turning a profit on the programs, increasing a schools public perception, etc. Its so patently a form of compensation that I'm astonished that the IRS doesn't charge them income tax. The entire system is one ethical violation - I'm not all that worked up about a couple of hamburgers.

The NCAA rules should be simply about avoiding actually cash compensation, contracts, and gifts that a college kid wouldn't reasonable be expected to afford on their own. Nobody is throwing games, avoiding taxes, deriving an unfair advantage, or otherwise being corrupted because of a petty favors. If they want to do that, they might as well arrest any girls that throw themselves at the athletes as well. You can only control so much.

But on the other hand, I don't understand why Tressel having been given a pity job by the Colts suggests that he is a head coaching candidate. I don't care how good a college coach he was (nor for which school) - it would be a huge gamble, and not one that I'd care to see the team taking right now. I doubt very much that he will even get an interview.

The last 2 comments by a Michigan fan and Miami fan are exactly what I posted about earlier. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion, but if your emotion from some rivalry is the only thing you base your opinion on, I frankly don't look at that as any reason at all. How about a thought-out position? And as far as Michigan coaches breaking rules, I guess we could get into a whole Rodriguez discussion...but that wouldn't accomplish anything would it?

And allow me to pile on -- the cumulative monetary value of free and discounted tats received by Ohio State players still pales in comparison to what Chris Webber received under the table.

I agree, and this type of thing is itself is an indightment of the NCAA rules. People do celebrities favors the world over. It's trivial, and trying to micromanage it is a waste of time. Big state universities around the country are essentially using tax payer dollars to provide free educations (worth tens of thousands of dollars) to athletes in return for them playing sports - in the hopes of them turning a profit on the programs, increasing a schools public perception, etc. Its so patently a form of compensation that I'm astonished that the IRS doesn't charge them income tax. The entire system is one ethical violation - I'm not all that worked up about a couple of hamburgers.

The NCAA rules should be simply about avoiding actually cash compensation, contracts, and gifts that a college kid wouldn't reasonable be expected to afford on their own. Nobody is throwing games, avoiding taxes, deriving an unfair advantage, or otherwise being corrupted because of a petty favors. If they want to do that, they might as well arrest any girls that throw themselves at the athletes as well. You can only control so much.

But on the other hand, I don't understand why Tressel having been given a pity job by the Colts suggests that he is a head coaching candidate. I don't care how good a college coach he was (nor for which school) - it would be a huge gamble, and not one that I'd care to see the team taking right now. I doubt very much that he will even get an interview.

Huge gamble? The Colts wills stink for the next few years anyway.

Huge gamble?

Huge gamble? The Colts wills stink for the next few years anyway.

Huge gamble?

Stink for the next few years anyway? That's troll like and debatable.

Stink for the next few years anyway?

Uh, yes, it's a huge gamble. The Colts are suppossedly doing a comprehensive search for the perfect guy to lead the team into the future. A 59 year old without one shred of experience in professional sports of any kind should not be considered a prime candidate. For every Jim Harbaugh (who by the way had tons of pro-experience) there are a dozen failures. Dominating kids is very different from leading men (many of whom earn more money than you do). The game itself is far more evolved, and things that work in college have no success in the pros. In short the transition is usually painful, unsuccesful, and resulting in the coach running back to college. The Colts don't need that kind of experiment, they need proven NFL coach that fits whatever system they want to run going forward.

*!^# Jim Tressel.. As a hardcore Miami Hurricane fan, the thought of Tressel to the Colts makes me nauseous. :yuk:

I agree being a hardcore Michigan fan. The vest on the side line makes me sick. Heck I was sick to my stomach just knowing he is part of our coaching staff

I agree being a hardcore Michigan fan. The vest on the side line makes me sick. Heck I was sick to my stomach just knowing he is part of our coaching staff

Me too. My friends around here made fun of me because he was on the Colts staff. Every time we were watching a game and it showed his smug face on TV they would say "THERE'S YOUR BOY"...... They hate him just as much as I do because a bunch of them are Gator fans.... I had to turn away when ever I saw him in that booth......

Me too. My friends around here made fun of me because he was on the Colts staff. Every time we were watching a game and it showed his smug face on TV they would say "THERE'S YOUR BOY"...... They hate him just as much as I do because a bunch of them are Gator fans.... I had to turn away when ever I saw him in that booth......

I don't see how a supporter of The U can be so condescending toward Tressel given that program's history.

I don't see how a supporter of The U can be so condescending toward Tressel given that program's history.

Did you not watch the 2002 National Championship game??? That Jim Tressel coached team played dirty that night. The one where Columbus Ohio resident, Referee Terry Porter threw a flag that changed the outcome of the game after the game was over. It was such a debauchery the the next year the NCAA implemented the instant replay rule. Thats why I don't like him or OSU ...47082_445737832736_36787232736_5345954_5294390_n.jpg

Then since him and Caldwell are friends he could give Caldwell the job he had about reviews or what ever he was brought in for. :lol:

Nah i really do think the guy is a good coach, now an NFL head coach? we dont know.. putting anyones bias side on the bench for a bit and look at his record, he must be doing something right.

Did you not watch the 2002 National Championship game??? That Jim Tressel coached team played dirty that night.

Of course I watched the game. I'm an Ohio State fan.

I'm guessing you forgot about this non-call against Miami which, had it been rightfully called, would've ended it in regulation.

Besides, Ohio State wasn't even supposed to be competitive in this game. Dirty? Get real. The U got outplayed. You can't blame it on one suspect call.

I dont watch Ohio State...is Tressel any good in front of the camera? Press conference, locker room, etc?

He is and actually according to Rich Nye from channel 13, Tressel has already gotten 2 CONFIRMED INTERVIEWS with the Colts. Me, along with all the other conspiracy theorists heads are about to explode lol.

http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=331248013573549&id=138798962818456

Theres also a twitter link as well:

https://twitter.com/#!/TheSportsGuy13/status/160536743483944960

Where is the dislike button? LOL

Tell that to Facebook, you'd be the next billionare.

OT- I do agree with what you said about the 2nd interview thing. I know for a fact though a LOT of fans who honestly in opinion don't understand the situation would be mad about the hire but I'd love it.

He is and actually according to Rich Nye from channel 13, Tressel has already gotten 2 CONFIRMED INTERVIEWS with the Colts. Me, along with all the other conspiracy theorists heads are about to explode lol.

http://www.facebook....138798962818456

Theres also a twitter link as well:

https://twitter.com/...536743483944960

Oh boy, Two interviews is all it took for Grigson... we could be hearing a confirmation on who got the job by monday.

I personally hope he does get it... and if it does what does that say about RGIII.... i mean he's had Pryor, troy smith... wow.

Oh boy, Two interviews is all it took for Grigson... we could be hearing a confirmation on who got the job by monday.

I personally hope he does get it... and if it does what does that say about RGIII.... i mean he's had Pryor, troy smith... wow.

Lol I agree except about the RG3 part. I mean I don't wanna stray into a Luck/RG3 discussion but I just don't see how we pass up on Luck. But yeah I think we could be seeing him signed on Monday or Tuesday.

One thing I was thinking about to was is this: Tressel knows the college system and understands the players, if we are rebuilding with a lot of new talent coming in primarily from the college ranks, wouldnt it make sense to get a guy that understands and recruited some of the best players from those ranks?

Lol I agree except about the RG3 part. I mean I don't wanna stray into a Luck/RG3 discussion but I just don't see how we pass up on Luck. But yeah I think we could be seeing him signed on Monday or Tuesday.

One thing I was thinking about to was is this: Tressel knows the college system and understands the players, if we are rebuilding with a lot of new talent coming in primarily from the college ranks, wouldnt it make sense to get a guy that understands and recruited some of the best players from those ranks?

Lol staying on topic, college coaches are having more success than they usually have had now. If the colts are to hire Tressel as HC i can really see some really good balanced football coming for the colts... they guys family is a winner and so is he... exactly what the colts need.

Anyone watch the Ohio State offense the past few years with Tressel as coach? Not interested in that at all.

Why? It's very similar to what Stanford runs with out all the 2 TE sets. Only real diff. is Harbaugh had a legit "Pro" style QB. And the sweater vest had Pryor.

Tressel has the personality to transfer perfectly to the Pro game. He is not an in for face "rah rah" guy. He is very similar to Dungy in many way.

I actually LOVE the idea of Tressel getting a shot, why not? And really do you all think he was brought in here in the first place to "be a replay evaluator?" I beleive he was brought in for the eventuality of Caldwell being fired.

The Sweater Vest is a "Big Time" winner. He knows the game.

I don't know what all the fuss is about. I can understand people not wanting him as a HC, but as an assistant who cares. How could be be worse than what we already had??? He will have to change strategies obviously, but the guy knows his football and more so than ANYONE on this forum. I would put my $ against that.

I'm not saying by any means he would be a GREAT coach, I just think much of the negativitly is pure bias because of the way his career ended or simply just because they don't like Ohio St.

I actually LOVE the idea of Tressel getting a shot, why not? And really do you all think he was brought in here in the first place to "be a replay evaluator?" I beleive he was brought in for the eventuality of Caldwell being fired.

The Sweater Vest is a "Big Time" winner. He knows the game.

Pat McAfee shot that down earlier this year when he said Caldwell is the one who brought Tressel in, why would Caldwell bring in a guy to be there just in case he got fired? McAfee also said the players rarely saw or talked to Tressel and when grilled on if he Tressel was brought into replace Caldwell should he be fired he said, and I want to stress these were his words not mine, "Those people that believe that need to get a clue."

He talked about on one of his apperances on WNDE this season so I am sure there is audio if someone wants to look it up.

With that said the fact Tressel has been around for a year probably helps him getting interviewed now.

Pat McAfee shot that down earlier this year when he said Caldwell is the one who brought Tressel in, why would Caldwell bring in a guy to be there just in case he got fired? McAfee also said the players rarely saw or talked to Tressel and when grilled on if he Tressel was brought into replace Caldwell should he be fired he said, and I want to stress these were his words not mine, "Those people that believe that need to get a clue."

He talked about on one of his apperances on WNDE this season so I am sure there is audio if someone wants to look it up.

With that said the fact Tressel has been around for a year probably helps him getting interviewed now.

Pat Mc ... is .... kinda ... ummmmmmm... unreliable? maybe?

I guarantee you all ... Tress is a "legit" prospect.... And with Fish off the market... Seriously, who is really better qualified?

Tress is a Dungy / Noll personality type.... If given the chance I would bet the ..... well ... my back yard Sweater V does a "great" job.

I am actually geeked to hear TSV gets a chance at it....

And yes I am a OSU fan..........

Jim Tressel has the kind of smug face that ya just want to punch the crap out of, repeatedly... I know I'm not alone in that feeling either...

We COULD do a LOT worse than Tressel as a HC...... but.... I dont see him getting the nod.

I am starting to think that Zimmer might make a good choice as well.

Hopefully this will get taken care of soon

Edited by Maureen
personal shot

And allow me to pile on -- the cumulative monetary value of free and discounted tats received by Ohio State players still pales in comparison to what Chris Webber received under the table.

I like it......Does anyone notice that when you travel from the Ohio border to Michigan, there is a bad smell.........

Like a urinal?

Maybe its a big bathroom....... maybe the toilet has backed up in the whole state......