Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Jim Caldwell Ever Coach In The Nfl Again

Rich Cannon

Just curious about your thought on this matter. I personally think no as a head coach but some team might make him an assistant of some kind

Yes, he'll be a coach again. HC.....nah probably not gonna happen. He does have the whole "Manning excuse" to cover 14 of his losses. Remove those and his record is outstanding. Ironically, one could use Manning as an excuse for the bulk of his wins and losses.

HC? No, the only slim chance he would have at becoming a head coach again would be if Tony Dungy were to take over as President/GM of a franchise and one would believe he would select someone else off his coaching tree to man the position of head coach.

He could return to college, he could latch on with an NFL team as a QBC, but I'm not sure he would be able to work his way back into position to be a HC, the only way I could see that happening is if he became an OC for the first time and actually developed a quarterback/offensive system that was successful.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him take next season off since taking a job will likely negate his HC salary (unless they negotiated a buyout of some kind), but I would expect him to be a serious candidate for any offensive co-ordinator position that opens up after that. He could certainly make it back to HC again - why not? The fact that a lot of people in Indy have no respect for him means absolutely nothing. Do you think perhaps that there might be people in St Louis who are down on Spagnolo right now? That doesn't stop people in Indy from salivating over him because they are thinking "defense". Well other cities will salivate over Caldwell thinking "offense". Coaches are given second and third and fourth chances every season, and - for about the 1,000th time - nobody on here really has any idea whether or not Caldwell is a good coach.

Yes, he'll be a coach again. HC.....nah probably not gonna happen. He does have the whole "Manning excuse" to cover 14 of his losses. Remove those and his record is outstanding. Ironically, one could use Manning as an excuse for the bulk of his wins and losses.

People keep saying the "Manning Excuse", but I don't get it. Isn't losing Manning an opportunity to show you're a good head coach? The Pats lose Brady and Belichick is able to muster up 11 wins with Cassel. I'm not saying Caldwell is anything near Belichick, but a good coach should be able to get more than 2 wins.

People who get trapped into thinking they are the world's experts on everything don't remember history. When Caldwell was an assistant under Dungy, he was interviewed for at least one head coaching vacancy and the Colts then made him "assistant head coach" and guaranteed him the position when Dungy retired. That guaranteed that another team would not get him to leave.

I think he will be a head coach again if he wants to be.

If we are considering hiring Steve Spagnuolo or Marty Mohrninweg as HC, as some have said, then it only makes sense that Caldwell would get another shot.

Those coaches had proven records as assistants and coordinators before they were hired as head coaches. Not Caldwell. He came into the NFL without any coordinator experience, either college or pro, and with a terrible record as a college head coach. He really didn't do anything to get the Colts head coaching job except befriending Dungy. He is a poor X's and O's coach, can't make in-game adjustment and has no idea of game/time management.

I don't believe he will ever be a head coach again in the NFL.

People who get trapped into thinking they are the world's experts on everything don't remember history. When Caldwell was an assistant under Dungy, he was interviewed for at least one head coaching vacancy and the Colts then made him "assistant head coach" and guaranteed him the position when Dungy retired. That guaranteed that another team would not get him to leave.

I think he will be a head coach again if he wants to be.

This was before he showed the world what we could REALLY do if he were given the reigns without an absurd QB to carry the load. - Jack squat.

You often see the phrase "coach _____ is from the _____ coaching tree" and that's a positive way of saying head coaches often hire their friends as the position coaches. In other words Cadwell coaching again in the NFL may turn on how many/how close friends does he currently have in head coaching positions in the NFL.

I would agree with this premise. Dungy helped get him this job, and will likely have to help him get another HC job.

Look at Romeo at KC...

Fired..came back as an assistant and was in the right place at the right time.

JC could be a head coach again.../ He only had one losing season.....and his players didnt turn on him

..and FJC..Your screen name has served its purpose...

Are you going to be HS (Hire Spagnola ) now...??

Look at Romeo at KC...

Fired..came back as an assistant and was in the right place at the right time.

JC could be a head coach again.../ He only had one losing season.....and his players didnt turn on him

..and FJC..Your screen name has served its purpose...

Are you going to be HS (Hire Spagnola ) now...??

A huge difference between Romeo Crennel and Caldwell is Crennel built a great, proven resume as an assistant with the Giants and Patriots. He didn't do so great at Cleveland but improved the defense as DC. He went 2-1 as Chiefs interim HC and is now the HC. Caldwell hasn't shown he can be that type of coach. He has won only 35% of his games as a college and NFL HC.

I can see him being some kind of an assistant, but not a Head Coach...at least not for a very long time. Not every assistant coach is cut out to be a Head Coach. And Caldwell's one of those kind of people.

But, yeah, I can honestly see him being an assistant somewhere.

A huge difference between Romeo Crennel and Caldwell is Crennel built a great, proven resume as an assistant with the Giants and Patriots. He didn't do so great at Cleveland but improved the defense as DC. He went 2-1 as Chiefs interim HC and is now the HC. Caldwell hasn't shown he can be that type of coach. He has won only 35% of his games as a college and NFL HC.

all true ...FBS..

but there are not many coaches that have 'my team reached the Super Bowl' on the HC resume..

He'll be an assistant before next season if that's what he wants....and maybe thats the role for him

I would surely hope not. Everyones view of him after our 14-2 season a few years back was skewed because that being his first year there, many of Dungee's stuff was still in place, not to mention we still had Moore who I love. So naturally he's going to look a lot more talented. After that year the true colors in his coaching style came out. He's not aggressive, it was always pass on first down run on second (at least this year it was), and he never seemed to make any adjustments at halftime in the locker room. What I didn't like about him was his lack of emotion when things were coming down to the wire or someone made a big play. I'm relieved to hear he's gone personally, not to say he's bad as an assistant or a coordinator, he just lacks some key personality traits that can get the team back in the game once they're down.

People keep saying the "Manning Excuse", but I don't get it. Isn't losing Manning an opportunity to show you're a good head coach? The Pats lose Brady and Belichick is able to muster up 11 wins with Cassel. I'm not saying Caldwell is anything near Belichick, but a good coach should be able to get more than 2 wins.

The patriots were good enough to win with Cassell; the Colts were not good enough to win without Peyton. I'm not sure it made too much difference who the coach was in 2011, but a fiery, new coach with a healthy Peyton could make a difference in the 2012 Playoffs. The patriots were a strong team which could win with any NFL-caliber QB; the Colts were a weak team missing the great QB who had carried them for years.