Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts interested in Andrew Billings

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the addition of Billings.  I think it would allow us to two gap more often if we wanted to go back to that.  I'm not sure how Henry Anderson is, but I think Langford would be fine (he did it in Miami, anyway).  With Anderson, he's probably better shooting gaps anyway; at least last year he proved to me he has that ability.  

Remember, this is all smoke right now, although I do believe they like Billings, and it is a position of need. I still believe the smoke signals are going to blow away from Ryan Kelly, and that will be your first round pick, which I am on record as being fine with. I also would be OK with Billings, and then go with Martin in the 2nd round, although I like Kelly over Martin, and think he could be our anchor for the line for years to come. Not a sexy pick, but a real necessary one. Now if we get a C in FA, then I am all for Billings. Mayock raves about his possiblities as a NT.

Edited by loudnproudcolt
wrong name

I'm sure he's a good player,  but I don't get this pick at all....

We'd pass up our two biggest areas of need (pass rush and interior OL) for a position that is typically greatly discounted (NT) and he's roughly the same size as Parry.    Now, he's much, much better than Parry,  but I don't see how the Colts get better taking a Nose Tackle at 18.      

With this pick we'd be trying to address our two top areas of need in the 2nd and 3rd round.    Not very desirable.

Billings is not who I think the Colts should take.

Who we sign in FA is going to dictate this pick.  Elliot will be the pick if he is there but I think he goes early. Then it comes down to whether we sign a center or NT or both in FA.  Billings or Kelly would both be great choices and both should start.  We will have a better idea in the next ten days. 

51 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We'd pass up our two biggest areas of need (pass rush and interior OL) for a position that is typically greatly discounted (NT) and he's roughly the same size as Parry.    Now, he's much, much better than Parry,  but I don't see how the Colts get better taking a Nose Tackle at 18.      

With this pick we'd be trying to address our two top areas of need in the 2nd and 3rd round.    Not very desirable.

It all comes down to BPA. Drafting for need isn't a good strategy. I would rather not reach for anyone. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Billings is super talented though. And Adding him to our D-Line would give us a potential top 10 (maybe top 5 depending on how Art and Anderson do in the return). An improved D-Line would help out the Pass rush and Secondary greatly. Plus, I don't think it'd be smart to take an interior lineman in round one, at least in this draft. The value isn't good enough, considering who we could get in rounds 2 and 3 (Martin, Tuerk, Garnett etc).

Plus, there's still FA (which imo atleast is the correct way to fill needs) which starts in a couple days. How we do there obviously will dictate this pick. 

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

BPA which is why Elliot is a legit option as well. But Billings instantly makes the defensive line better. Because he's so powerful he not only destroys the pocket but also eliminates any inside run. Plus he makes the LBs better by keeping them clean. He can also add pass rush. But above all he's way better than Parry is now and will be in the future. He has a very rare skillet for a NT.

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Billings is super talented though. And Adding him to our D-Line would give us a potential top 10 (maybe top 5 depending on how Art and Anderson do in the return). An improved D-Line would help out the Pass rush and Secondary greatly. Plus, I don't think it'd be smart to take an interior lineman in round one, at least in this draft. The value isn't good enough, considering who we could get in rounds 2 and 3 (Martin, Tuerk, Garnett etc).

Plus, there's still FA (which imo atleast is the correct way to fill needs) which starts in a couple days. How we do there obviously will dictate this pick. 

I think it would improve our run defense.

I'm not sure it would do much of anything to our pass rush....

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

BPA which is why Elliot is a legit option as well. But Billings instantly makes the defensive line better. Because he's so powerful he not only destroys the pocket but also eliminates any inside run. Plus he makes the LBs better by keeping them clean. He can also add pass rush. But above all he's way better than Parry is now and will be in the future. He has a very rare skillet for a NT.

I understand what a nose tackle does.      I just don't like using the 18th overall pick on a 310 pound nose tackle.

I want more bang for my buck.

I think Billings would be even better in a 4-3 defense.    I think there he could be a Holy terror.

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

It all comes down to BPA. Drafting for need isn't a good strategy. I would rather not reach for anyone. 

I don't think teams are as staunch when it comes to BPA as some on this board.  Plus, NCF didn't say anything about reaching.

16 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I don't think teams are as staunch when it comes to BPA as some on this board.  Plus, NCF didn't say anything about reaching.

I agree that BPA is blown out of proportion on this forum. 

He said we should draft O Line or edge. I think it would be a reach to draft an interior o lineman and I don't like any of the edge rushers that will be available at 18. That's why I mentioned reaching. 

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I understand what a nose tackle does.      I just don't like using the 18th overall pick on a 310 pound nose tackle.

I want more bang for my buck.

I think Billings would be even better in a 4-3 defense.    I think there he could be a Holy terror.

He's a 310 lb NT with top notch power and strength that can't be described in words. That's rare. I'd argue he's stronger now then some of the top DTs in the NFL. It translates on the field too.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I agree NCF. I'm all for bringing in a NT, but I think taking Austin Johnson or Kenny Clark in the 2nd/3rd would be fine. I think all 3 are going to be really good players, so might as well get the better value. If this were a weaker class of DT's Clark and maybe Johnson would be 1st round picks. But you're right 100%. We have to address the big 4, before we do anything else. The big 4 obviously being Pass Rush, Corner, Guard, and Center.

If we signed a G, C, OLB, and CB all in free agency Billings would be a great pick. But I doubt we do that. And even if we did I'd still prefer another EDGE guy at 18. Its been proven over and over that you have to have a good pass rush in order to win the big one. Look at Denver this year. Seattle 2 years ago. Both had dominant pass rushers. And you cant ever have enough. Denver had 2 guys backing up that had 4-5 sacks a piece. Mathis is getting old, and Walden isn't a 10 plus sack guy and Werner is......Well he's Werner. We need to both sign a free agent OLB and draft Floyd, Spence, Ogbah, or Lawson at 18.

4 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

4 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

If we signed a G, C, OLB, and CB all in free agency Billings would be a great pick. But I doubt we do that. And even if we did I'd still prefer another EDGE guy at 18. Its been proven over and over that you have to have a good pass rush in order to win the big one. Look at Denver this year. Seattle 2 years ago. Both had dominant pass rushers. And you cant ever have enough. Denver had 2 guys backing up that had 4-5 sacks a piece. Mathis is getting old, and Walden isn't a 10 plus sack guy and Werner is......Well he's Werner. We need to both sign a free agent OLB and draft Floyd, Spence, Ogbah, or Lawson at 18.

It has also been proved over and over you have to protect your own QB to win at all. Just saying that the offensive line is just important as a pass rusher.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It has also been proved over and over you have to protect your own QB to win at all. Just saying that the offensive line is just important as a pass rusher.

Yeah I agree 100%. I didn't say it wasn't. We have 4 major needs. But Pass Rush and the O-Line takes the cheese. If we want to have that unstoppable offense like the plan is, we have to keep 12 upright.

43 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The Brocnos just won with one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. 

53 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

The game is won in the trenches. No OLB is worth a 1st rounder anyway.

14 minutes ago, Dustin said:

The Brocnos just won with one of the worst offensive lines in the NFL. 

They have a nasty defense. If your defense is really special they can carry an offense, and vice versa really.

Over the past 20 years there have been 40 teams who played in the Super Bowl, there have actually been more teams with middle of the back or below average defenses than there have been teams with middle of the pack or below average offenses. But not by much, it's really close by the numbers.