Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper said an offensive lineman. More specifically University of Alabama center Ryan Kelly

Would just suck if there is a decent pass rusher there or if Andrew Billings is there. But we desperately need O-Line help too. We can't afford to have Luck injured again so I could see Pagano and Grigson addressing the 1st pick with the O-Line. It's not a sexy pick but it's something we have needed for over 4 years now.

I'd rather pick up Nick Martin in the 2nd. Or sign both a guard and Center in free agency. I would love for our first 4 picks to be defense, but that could only happen if we sign both a G and C in FA. Give me Jeff Allen and Stefen Wisnewski and we'll have a very, very good O-Line.

Its a toss up for me between oline and pass rush, in todays league if you dont get to the QB he likely will tear up your secondary, as stated ^ and i have sayd if we get Martin with our second that would be amazing. 1st round im going Billings, Spence or Elliot giving that either of them are available

Every year we say we want an Olineman in FA and we get 2nd tier older guys.  I just don't think it's so easy to say we will get one because every team wants one of those if they are any good.   That's why we have to rely on the draft and if it means making a tough choice, then we have to do it.  

4 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Yeah, Kelly was an option I suggested the Colts may look into in the first, that idea wasn't well thought of on the forums...lol.  If Kelly is as good as advertised, it might be worth it..... is he THAT much better than Martin out of ND?

I think Nick Martin is getting some of his brothers hype personally and think Ryan Kelly is going to be a solid center in the league. Tested better at the combine than I thought he would too so that helped his stock. Wouldn't be a super sexy pick at 18 but Luck would love it.

I also like the Kelly pick. It is not sexy, but it is smart. I have seen Kelly in mock drafts anywhere from the 1st to the 3rd. To me it does not matter. We need someone to anchor the line, physical, smart, and can play with    Andrew for years to come, not just 3-4 years. Just as Pittsburgh and Miami got their anchors with the Pouncey brothers, I think we would get ours. I also believe he is better than Martin. If we do go defense first round, I would be OK with Nick Martin in the second, but just because Kelly may seem a little high at 18 really makes no difference. If he is who you like, get him. It will fill a need for years to come!

Assuming we don't get Mack then I would be very happy with Kelly.  Everything I have read and having watched him at the combine say he would be a perfect fit.  I would not pass him by and hoping on getting Martin in the 2nd.  Martin could easily be gone by then. We really need to fix that center position.

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

I'd rather pick up Nick Martin in the 2nd. Or sign both a guard and Center in free agency. I would love for our first 4 picks to be defense, but that could only happen if we sign both a G and C in FA. Give me Jeff Allen and Stefen Wisnewski and we'll have a very, very good O-Line.

I don't know why you have a hard on for Nick Martin?     He is not his brother, not even close.

And he suffered a knee injury which made his 2015 season not as good as his '14 season.    And he's still not 100%.    Scouts say he looks stiff and not close to what he was. 

Kelly is clearly the best center.     Now, maybe you don't like him or like Alabama players?     But there doesn't appear to be any debate in the scouting community.    Kelly is tops and someone else is a distant second.

58 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

If we take him in the first round, I think that would be a reach.  Last I checked, he's got a 2nd round grade on him

What grade did Travis Frederick have?  Kiper and mcshays grades are irrelevant.    What do the teams think about him? 

6 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

There is no opinion on value.  It is what it is.   It's impossible to know if it's good or bad until they play 

Value is more so based on whether or not you reached on a prospect. Getting a center at 18 that you could get by trading down in the 20s is bad value.

Plus I can't think of any time a center has gone in the top 20 picks in the first round.

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

There is no opinion on value.  It is what it is.   It's impossible to know if it's good or bad until they play 

He has. Based on his play at Alabama(among other things) some may value him at 18 and some wont. They don't get to play in the NFL first and then you draft them based on how you value there play so you have to place a value on what info you have now. Long winded way of saying.....Draft Board

2 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Yeah, Kelly was an option I suggested the Colts may look into in the first, that idea wasn't well thought of on the forums...lol.  If Kelly is as good as advertised, it might be worth it..... is he THAT much better than Martin out of ND?

Yes and so is Turek

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Value is more so based on whether or not you reached on a prospect. Getting a center at 18 that you could get by trading down in the 20s is bad value.

Plus I can't think of any time a center has gone in the top 20 picks in the first round.

How do you know you could get him by trading down?   No one knows that.   That is my point

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't know why you have a hard on for Nick Martin?     He is not his brother, not even close.

And he suffered a knee injury which made his 2015 season not as good as his '14 season.    And he's still not 100%.    Scouts say he looks stiff and not close to what he was. 

Kelly is clearly the best center.     Now, maybe you don't like him or like Alabama players?     But there doesn't appear to be any debate in the scouting community.    Kelly is tops and someone else is a distant second.

2 things NCF. 1st. I know Nick isn't Zach. But I do think Nick Martin is going to be a really good starting Center in the NFL for a long time. 2nd. Nick Martin will almost certainly be there in the 2nd round as where Kelly probably wont be. So since I think Martin will be a good Center too, I had rather get him in the 2nd so we don't have to use our first on a Center. Kelly may end up being a little better than Martin, but like I said. I think Martin will be a really good starting Center.

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

2 things NCF. 1st. I know Nick isn't Zach. But I do think Nick Martin is going to be a really good starting Center in the NFL for a long time. 2nd. Nick Martin will almost certainly be there in the 2nd round as where Kelly probably wont be. So since I think Martin will be a good Center too, I had rather get him in the 2nd so we don't have to use our first on a Center. Kelly may end up being a little better than Martin, but like I said. I think Martin will be a really good starting Center.

Thank you.     I think that's a fair evaluation,  a reasonable evaluation.     Well thought out.

I know this stuff is important to you and I wanted to get your take on your man crush for Martin.     I guess the next question is,  do we take Martin in the 2nd round,  or do we try and wait until the 3rd round.    Might be risky,  but I'm not sure Martin is worth the 48th pick in the draft?

I think most of you know this is who I hope we pick at #18. Luck needs the protection and the run game needs more stability. The center is on 100% of all offensive plays. We have seen the results of Luck not being protected. I am not referring to his kidney injury, I am referring to the combination of being one of the most hit, hurried and sacked QBs in the league.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

What grade did Travis Frederick have?  Kiper and mcshays grades are irrelevant.    What do the teams think about him? 

This is true.  I remember everyone, including myself, thought the Cowboys reached for Frederick.  But when he becomes one of the best in the league, it shows you just what those grades mean

41 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you.     I think that's a fair evaluation,  a reasonable evaluation.     Well thought out.

I know this stuff is important to you and I wanted to get your take on your man crush for Martin.     I guess the next question is,  do we take Martin in the 2nd round,  or do we try and wait until the 3rd round.    Might be risky,  but I'm not sure Martin is worth the 48th pick in the draft?

LOL who knows with Grigs. But I think if we don't sign a Center in free agency we'll definitely draft one in the first 3 rounds. I'd like for it to be Martin, but I could see us drafting Westerman to play Center too. He's actually listed as a Guard but some think he's best suited to play Center in the NFL. I don't like Tuerk at all. Jack Allen would be alright if we want to wait until the 3rd.

53 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How do you know you could get him by trading down?   No one knows that.   That is my point

Because no one would dare draft a center in the top 20 in the first round. That's why. Centers never go that high.

5 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Every year we say we want an Olineman in FA and we get 2nd tier older guys.  I just don't think it's so easy to say we will get one because every team wants one of those if they are any good.   That's why we have to rely on the draft and if it means making a tough choice, then we have to do it.  

I agree. If the olineman is a 4th rounder talent in the first. Pass. We need to draft for position of need at BPA. 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Because no one would dare draft a center in the top 20 in the first round. That's why. Centers never go that high.

Alex Mack-2009

Travis Frederick-2013

Mike Pouncey-2011

Nick Mangold-2006

Maurkice Pouncey-2010

Chris Spencer-2005

41 minutes ago, Gavin said:

Alex Mack-2009

Travis Frederick-2013

Mike Pouncey-2011

Nick Mangold-2006

Maurkice Pouncey-2010

Chris Spencer-2005

Read what you were responding to again.     The poster didn't write that centers don't go in the 1st round.   Clearly they do.

What he wrote is that very few centers go in the TOP 20 of the 1st round. 

Of the 6 you listed,  only two did.    The two Pouncey brothers went 15th and 18th.

Otherwise,  the others went below the 20th pick. 

-- Mack 21st

-- Spencer 26th

-- Mangold 29th

-- Frederick 31st

Just food for thought.....

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Read what you were responding to again.     The poster didn't write that centers don't go in the 1st round.   Clearly they do.

What he wrote is that very few centers go in the TOP 20 of the 1st round. 

Of the 6 you listed,  only two did.    The two Pouncey brothers went 15th and 18th.

Otherwise,  the others went below the 20th pick. 

-- Mack 21st

-- Spencer 26th

-- Mangold 29th

-- Frederick 31st

Just food for thought.....

Yep and on that note it is time for bed. Near 2am here. Good catch. I need some sleep

1 minute ago, Gavin said:

Yep and on that note it is time for bed. Near 2am here. Good catch. I need some sleep

Hey,  no worries....     we've all been there.....      sleep well, my friend....

See you on the flip-side tomorrow!