Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What if this is true

I've seen a couple post combine mocks that put Hargreaves in the 14-20 range. Not sure how likely this is, but we could possible find Vontae's long-term pairing. I'd jump all over it

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/2/29/11131196/2016-nfl-mock-draft-combine-joey-bosa-jared-goff

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2620394-nfl-draft-2016-1st-round-mock-draft-and-buzz-after-scouting-combine-day-4

I hope we grab one in the draft because Jenkins turned down a 5yr/45mil offer from the Rams.  SO if he is wanting more than 9mil/year then we need to get the draft to help.  So if he gets something over that in FA take Sean Smith off the board as well.  To much money.  Give me a top CB and I will be happy.

1 hour ago, DaColts85 said:

I hope we grab one in the draft because Jenkins turned down a 5yr/45mil offer from the Rams.  SO if he is wanting more than 9mil/year then we need to get the draft to help.  So if he gets something over that in FA take Sean Smith off the board as well.  To much money.  Give me a top CB and I will be happy.

I'm not surprised at all he turned that down.  A lot of people on here seem to be really underestimating how much the free agent CBs are going to get (or any FA is going to get for that matter); like Tru Johnson at $7mil as I have seen multiple times.  I would love to have him if he ended up hitting the open market, but I also know that you're looking at $9-10mil minimum probably...and Sean Smith, I'm guessing around $12 mil. 

2 minutes ago, Traines said:

I'm not surprised at all he turned that down.  A lot of people on here seem to be really underestimating how much the free agent CBs are going to get (or any FA is going to get for that matter); like Tru Johnson at $7mil as I have seen multiple times.  I would love to have him if he ended up hitting the open market, but I also know that you're looking at $9-10mil minimum probably...and Sean Smith, I'm guessing around $12 mil. 

I agree the FA market is going to be ridiculous.  Kurt Cousins is expecting 19mil/year.  That shows you the heavily inflated market this year due to salary cap.  If the cap levels off though, a lot of these guys will end up being cap casualties a few years later.

Just now, DaColts85 said:

I agree the FA market is going to be ridiculous.  Kurt Cousins is expecting 19mil/year.  That shows you the heavily inflated market this year due to salary cap.  If the cap levels off though, a lot of these guys will end up being cap casualties a few years later.

Yep, I agree, and that is crazy money for Cousins.  I like him and all, but damn.  I can't wait to see who overpays for Sam Bradford...again!

1 minute ago, Traines said:

Yep, I agree, and that is crazy money for Cousins.  I like him and all, but damn.  I can't wait to see who overpays for Sam Bradford...again!

It is definitely crazy money for Cousins.  One full season and that is it.  He did well but not enough in my eyes to try and warrant 19/year.  Bradford is going to get lucky and be overpaid again by the Eagles.

I really hope we don't turn down:

Nkemdiche

Conklin

Coleman

Billings

Floyd

Apple

Dodd

Decker

for Whitehair. I like Whitehair quite a bit, But combined with him having played almost primarily out of a 2 point stance and in my opinion not quite strong enough at this point to go against a lot of DT's at the NFL level I don't think I'd take him at 18. He moves very well and picks up stunts and twists well. Just don't think I'd take him to play Guard at 18, Round 2 I'd be fine with him

9 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I really hope we don't turn down:

Nkemdiche

Conklin

Coleman

Billings

Floyd

Apple

Dodd

Decker

for Whitehair. I like Whitehair quite a bit, But combined with him having played almost primarily out of a 2 point stance and in my opinion not quite strong enough at this point to go against a lot of DT's at the NFL level I don't think I'd take him at 18. He moves very well and picks up stunts and twists well. Just don't think I'd take him to play Guard at 18, Round 2 I'd be fine with him

Based off Grigs's comments about character issues, I think they pass on Nkemdiche.

55 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Yeah I definitely think he can.

I liked him coming out, but I hate to pay a guy $8mil a year who hasn't been able to prove his abilities to  play on the outside for an entire season.  I feel like it is telling that they replaced him on the outside with a Rookie...and I'm not saying he can't, but that is a lot of money for a slot CB if he does not prove to be a viable option on the outside...but either way, I'd say someone will pay him that (or more) if we do not.

Hargreaves is going to be a top 10 corner in the NFL IMO. Maybe even top 5. I don't see any way he falls to 18, but if he does, and Spence and Floyd are gone we should definitely take him. We need to sign a EDGE rusher in free agency so we'll have more options at 18.

14 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

They have pumped him up so much. Some of his drills exposed he wasn`t all that and i thought Mayock

pretty much didn`t care. lol

Again, I have no idea what you were watching. 

Just one example; he ran the gauntlet better than most of the receivers did.  

There's only one guy I would take over Hargraves and that's Ramsey. With that being said I don't feel comfortable with the lower injuries Alexander has had in his career.. Basically We are showing the door to a guy who has had nothing but lower body injuries. We don't need to take another one. I think William Jackson substantially helped his draft today. Eli Apple & Eric Murray showed up today.

8 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Would love either Hargreaves or Alexander if they fall to 18. Like Pagano said, you can never have enough corners. 

I like the energy, toughness and swag Alexander plays with. I'd prefer a taller CB like Will Jackson but if we select Mackenzie I won't trip too hard.  Kid is a good ball player, although it's hard for me to get over the zero interceptions part.  That stat can't last forever though.   I know for a fact he won't be Greg Toler so that in itself is enough for me to overlook his flaws.  Problem is if we bring in Janoris Jenkins or Casey Hayward in FA I think Mackenzie would push Djoun further back on the bench.  Mackenzie would end up being the starting nickel back over Djoun.  Or if it was Heyward we got, Mackenzie would end up possibly starting on the outside with Heyward on the inside.  Djoun would end up being the 4th corner or even worse and that's no guarantee because I think Tevin Mitchell will be a ball player.  Djoun is going to have to step his game up this year or get sucked up. Grigson indicated as so much in the Indy Star too.

6 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

We'll end u signing Casey Hayward for something like 4/32

if we can't get Heyward cheaper than that I would look at Powers or sign Clairborne. Then draft a CB in the 2/3 round Burns, Miller, Howard, Hall or Russell and Sims middle of day 3 are who I would look at closely. If Russell falls to the 5th I would grab him too and try him at FS. The kid has 2nd round talent. He could be special there. I think he can play outside too. 

We settle for Clairborne in FA then draft Burns. We take Clairborne Burns and Smith let them battle it out to see who is outside with Davis. If we have to go with Clairborne for a minute can he really be any worse than Toler was last year?

By the start of 2017 we should have Davis and Burns outside and Smith in the slot. Russell could factor in at FS or CB if he falls no way he'd get by me in the 5th 

7 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Based off Grigs's comments about character issues, I think they pass on Nkemdiche.

If Nkemdiche is there the Colts should take him.  It's a gamble, but at this point Grigson needs to gamble to get an impact defensive player that can be a cornerstone of this team.  IF Nkemdiche is as talented as some believe.

I haven't payed much attention to the draft this yr,  so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

8 minutes ago, akcolt said:

if we can't get Heyward cheaper than that I would look at Powers or sign Clairborne. Then draft a CB in the 2/3 round Burns, Miller, Howard, Hall or Russell and Sims middle of day 3 are who I would look at closely. If Russell falls to the 5th I would grab him too and try him at FS. The kid has 2nd round talent. He could be special there. I think he can play outside too. 

We settle for Clairborne in FA then draft Burns. We take Clairborne Burns and Smith let them battle it out to see who is outside with Davis. If we have to go with Clairborne for a minute can he really be any worse than Toler was last year?

By the start of 2017 we should have Davis and Burns outside and Smith in the slot. Russell could factor in at FS or CB if he falls no way he'd get by me in the 5th 

That would be really dangerous. I'd rather give Jenkins, Smith, or Johnson, or Hayward the big money and know we're getting a great young corner. And if we don't sign one in FA we'd have to use our first rounder on one. Hopefully Alexander or Apple. Claiborne wouldn't be any better than Toler. And drafting a corner in the 2nd or 3rd it might take a year before they start the shine. In a perfect world we could get a guy in the 2nd and he'd come in and preform like Ronald Darby did last year, but that's no guarantee.

16 minutes ago, BOTT said:

If Nkemdiche is there the Colts should take him.  It's a gamble, but at this point Grigson needs to gamble to get an impact defensive player that can be a cornerstone of this team.  IF Nkemdiche is as talented as some believe.

I haven't payed much attention to the draft this yr,  so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Nkemdiche has TONS of potential. But he has always been inconsistent to go along with his off the field issues. We could get a guy in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd round that could be that cornerstone DT, and be just as good as Nkemdiche and maybe better. I'm talking Vernon Butler, Hassan Ridgeway, Chris Jones, etc. This is the deepest draft for DT's in the last probably 10-12 years. Hassan Ridgeway has the potential to be the best DT in this class when we look back in 2-3 years. Vernon Butler can be an all around, all pro type of player too. He's the kind of DT who I believe can put up some really good sack numbers for a DT/3-4 DE.

32 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Nkemdiche has TONS of potential. But he has always been inconsistent to go along with his off the field issues. We could get a guy in the 2nd or maybe even the 3rd round that could be that cornerstone DT, and be just as good as Nkemdiche and maybe better. I'm talking Vernon Butler, Hassan Ridgeway, Chris Jones, etc. This is the deepest draft for DT's in the last probably 10-12 years. Hassan Ridgeway has the potential to be the best DT in this class when we look back in 2-3 years. Vernon Butler can be an all around, all pro type of player too. He's the kind of DT who I believe can put up some really good sack numbers for a DT/3-4 DE.

Sure, they could, but it doesn't sound like any of them have the potential of Nkemdiche....or we would be talking about them as top 15 picks.

10 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

That would be really dangerous. I'd rather give Jenkins, Smith, or Johnson, or Hayward the big money and know we're getting a great young corner. And if we don't sign one in FA we'd have to use our first rounder on one. Hopefully Alexander or Apple. Claiborne wouldn't be any better than Toler. And drafting a corner in the 2nd or 3rd it might take a year before they start the shine. In a perfect world we could get a guy in the 2nd and he'd come in and preform like Ronald Darby did last year, but that's no guarantee.

According to Grig's money is tight. We have to pick a TE. I don't think we are even going to be looking at those CB's you listed. Claiborne might be better than Toler he couldn't be any worse. Heyward can play outside but he belongs in the slot IMO no way I give him 4yr/28M contract. 

What did Davis sign for? I could be wrong I thought it was about 8M a year. Don't think we want to pay or #2 more. I think the best we can do is Powers or Hall neither are long term answers IMO. We should draft a CB anyway. 

The only CB's I would take at 18 are VH3 or Ramsey. Alexander and Apple not at 18. Bilings is my pick. Fuller in the 2nd could be better than both of those guys. It's a deep class for CB's. I think that those who expect us to sign a top CB in FA are going to be very disappointed 

3 hours ago, akcolt said:

According to Grig's money is tight. We have to pick a TE. I don't think we are even going to be looking at those CB's you listed. Claiborne might be better than Toler he couldn't be any worse. Heyward can play outside but he belongs in the slot IMO no way I give him 4yr/28M contract. 

What did Davis sign for? I could be wrong I thought it was about 8M a year. Don't think we want to pay or #2 more. I think the best we can do is Powers or Hall neither are long term answers IMO. We should draft a CB anyway. 

The only CB's I would take at 18 are VH3 or Ramsey. Alexander and Apple not at 18. Bilings is my pick. Fuller in the 2nd could be better than both of those guys. It's a deep class for CB's. I think that those who expect us to sign a top CB in FA are going to be very disappointed 

What about Patrick Robinson?

On 2/29/2016 at 10:27 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Yes,  either would be in the conversation,  though both are smaller than advertised.....

That said,   I don't find either mock to be very good.....      lots of questionable picks....

Is there a "good" mock draft.  Even the best, most "informed" of the draft gurus have a staggering miss rate.

32 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Is there a "good" mock draft.  Even the best, most "informed" of the draft gurus have a staggering miss rate.

Aint that the truth. The so called experts very rarely get it right and then sit back and question the picks. I really don't do mock drafts because the whole process is a chain reaction. It breaks down to those who are making the picks and their opinions. And we have all heard about opinions? That everyone has one and they all stink but yours? :scratch:  haha

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Aint that the truth. The so called experts very rarely get it right and then sit back and question the picks. I really don't do mock drafts because the whole process is a chain reaction. It breaks down to those who are making the picks and their opinions. And we have all heard about opinions? That everyone has one and they all stink but yours? :scratch:  haha

All true but I read every single one of them, even the ones on this board.  One that I did find interesting yesterday was by Pat Kirwan - a really good listen on NFL Radio.  He had the Colts taking Ronnie Stanley, which was the first time I had seen him projected that low.