Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rams make a big wave of cuts

12isthenew18

2 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

probably....read on ESPN this is to also save cap room so they can sign their CB's

I don't doubt that.  They are probably looking at this thing like let's lock up our corners because there's some really good linebackers to choose from in the first round to replace them with if we choose to go that route.

13 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Cutting Long alone saves them over $11 mil in cap space.  And this comes after Long said he was willing to take a pay cut to stay with the team.

I remember wanting the Colts to draft Laurinaitis in 2009.  These guys won't be out of work for very long.

I wanted him real bad as well...

I'll still take him...

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

It's very likely that jack will be gone before they pick and smith is still iffy 

I didn't realize they were at 15.  I thought they were a little higher, but Smith is not out of the question. Jack I agree will be gone.

Just now, krunk said:

I didn't realize they were at 15.  I thought they were a little higher, but Smith is not out of the question. Jack I agree will be gone.

Well recent mocks have smith gone befor they pick to if it looks like he will be on schedule teams will take the chance on him seem one with him at 14 to the raiders Mack and smith would * me off lol

I would buy a Chris Long Colts jersey in a heartbeat, but I'm a biased UVa fan and he played high school football 45 minutes away from my high school. Also wouldn't mind Laurinaitis in blue and white. Crazy, when I think of the modern day rams those are the two names I think of first.

If they are worth getting, we will pass up on them under the guise "we need to get younger" ......but cue the rampant free agent amnesiacs clamoring for their coltdom...........But in all seriousness Laurinatis would be good I don't know enough about Long's injury situation to have an opinion there.....

We need to get younger on D. Laurinitis is 30 at least. He's been one of the better ILB's in the league over the last 7-8 years, but I don't think he's been quite that good lately. Don't get me wrong. He'd be at least as good or a little better than DQ, but if we want an ILB to pair with Free it needs to be Trevathan or Alonso. Or Sio Moore IMO would be better than DQ if we start him 16 games next year. Sio was a force his rookie year. He even made PFF's all rookie team. Then he had some injury issues his 2nd season and wasn't quite as good, and we barley used him thins year. With him having a full season, and a full offseason with us, I think he could be a very good starting ILB next to Freeman. Chris Long has had a lot of injuries the last 2-3 years, but there for about 4 years or so he was a star EDGE rusher. I think we'll probably pick up a EDGE rusher and draft one too. But there's other guys I'd go for first. Hali, Vernon, Irvin, and Ware if he's cut. If Chris Long would sign a cheap 1 year deal to try and get back on track I'd be down. But we'd still obviously have to use our 1st on an EDGE guy. Long is kind of intriguing if like I said, he'd be willing to sign a fairly cheap 1 year deal with incentives for how many sacks he gets. If he can stay healthy he may have a few more 10-12 sack seasons ahead of him.

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

I think we have plenty of ILB. Freeman (will be re-signed) Jackson, Moore, and Irving. I think ILB is alright. 

Maybe Long but only if we got rid of Art Jones.

We may have plenty of ilbs but that doesn't mean the position doesn't need upgrading.

For example, I'd be all for not bringing back freeman and releasing jackson, then signing Laurinaitis and drafting an ilb in round one of the draft if the right guy is there

First,  I'm not sure that Chris Long is a scheme fit with out 3-4.      I think he's a pure 4-3 defensive end.

Second,   both have some age/health issues that may make them less desirable for the Colts.....

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

We may have plenty of ilbs but that doesn't mean the position doesn't need upgrading.

For example, I'd be all for not bringing back freeman and releasing jackson, then signing Laurinaitis and drafting an ilb in round one of the draft if the right guy is there

I can't tell you how much joy I had reading your post... finally someone thinks like I do :-)

Cook and Laurinaitis had good years, this is a salary cap dump. Both will demand big bucks, and even though Long has been injured the last 2 years I'll bet he gets a 4 year 35 million plus deal..

If we dump DQ and don't sign Fleener it might offset some of Cook and Laurinaitis's higher salary, but no way do they come cheap.. 

What was interesting to me was a link to the side:

http://nfltraderumors.co/impending-free-agent-s-eric-weddle-prioritizing-winning-over-money-in-next-contract/

Eric Weddle, we have a chance to get him and we should, IMO. He is definitely not over the hill like AJ and Trent Cole. Just like Evan Mathis was a year removed from his best year and he ended up a top 3 guard in the NFL in run blocking by the time the year ended for the Broncos, Eric Weddle is a year removed from being a top 2 safety. While the move may be looked at with skepticism in light of Grigson's moves with AJ and Cole, this is a move based on recent production that I would support.

I've been slow to get on the Colts bandwagon since I moved to Indianapolis a couple of years ago because it's a hard to just switch loyalties when you've been following a team for 20+ years of football fandom. That team was the Rams. I've watched both of these guys their entire careers and I'm not sure I'd want either on the Colts. 

If Chris Long can get healthy and actually contribute he'd be worth a look but Laurinaitis just gets murdered in the run game. It's telling that the team is wanting to move Olgetree inside to MLB and have a safety (Barron) convert to WLB. Money was an issue but if they were worth it they'd still be Rams. 

And the last person you want on this team is Jared Cook. No hands, poor attitude. I can still recall him shoving his QB on the sidelines after he dropped a potential TD catch.