Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Manning has been telling close friends that he will retire after Super Bowl 50

bayone

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/2/1/10889504/report-manning-has-been-telling-close-friends-that-he-will-retire

NFL Networks Ian Rapoport, Denver Broncos quarterbackPeyton Manning has been reportedly telling friends close to him that Super Bowl 50 will be his final game in the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000630956/article/peyton-manning-told-close-friends-he-expects-to-retire

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reaffirmed that scenario during an appearance on NFL Network's Super Bowl Live on Monday.

"The reality is he let the cat out of the bag a little bit," Rapoport said. "I also know he has told close friends that he expects this to be his last game as well."

1 hour ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

I promise, it wasn't me :)

I burst out laughing when I read this response. Gramz, you're the most devoted & loyal Peyton Manning fan I know. No one would ever believe in a million years that you spilled the beans on 18. 

Your word is gold. Trust me. 

Manning has earned the right to go out on his own terms.  Not only is he the greatest Colt ever, he is quite possibly the greatest of all time. 

I really hope he wins another Super Bowl.   But he doesn't need another to verify his status as the GOAT, by a mile.  

I appreciate the Broncos' organization for helping him surpass every record. Kudos to Elway.

25 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

Manning has earned the right to go out on his own terms.  Not only is he the greatest Colt ever, he is quite possibly the greatest of all time. 

I really hope he wins another Super Bowl.   But he doesn't need another to verify his status as the GOAT, by a mile.  

I appreciate the Broncos' organization for helping him surpass every record. Kudos to Elway.

As a long time fan of the Colts, Elway can go to hades.

43 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

As a long time fan of the Colts, Elway can go to hades.

See I didn't become a Colts fan until 1984 so I didn't go through the Elway nonsense like you did a few others so I get where you real oldschool fans are coming from rooting against Denver. You guys hate Elway because he didn't want to play for the Baltimore Colts coming out in 1983.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

See I didn't become a Colts fan until 1984 so I didn't go through the Elway nonsense like you did a few others so I get where you real oldschool fans are coming from rooting against Denver. You guys hate Elway because he didn't want to play for the Baltimore Colts coming out in 1983.

I am hoping Manning gets a ring especially if this is his last game. I will put my dislike of Elway aside. Manning may not have as many rings as he had the talent to get but it takes more than just the QB. Manning IMO changed the way the position of QB is played. He gave us a heck of a ride in Indy and I enjoyed every minute I watched him play.

You are a celebrity, and with that fame comes interest and questions over and over.  It is a shame like Nadine said he cannot be "Left alone to do it his way."

When I was in journalism, insiders meant:  You don't have any credibility in your source.

I kinda miss the old way of journalism.  Do not post anything you cannot tell of one's name as a source.

Peyton...surprise and play one more...:)  

9 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I was thinking this but you never know the football minds Archie and Eli talk to.

Archie puzzles me if he said what he was reported saying about the Colts firing Peyton. That is IF he said it? I say this because the Saints got rid of Archie and he finished his career in Houston and Minnesota. Archie has made a living off of the Saints after retirement so why should he have anything negative to say about the Colts. There seems to be a consensus that the Colts did something wrong to Peyton. I know what Peyton brought to the Colts but on the other hand the Colts have had a huge hand in making Peyton the richest football player in history so it's a two way street IMO. .

6 hours ago, bababooey said:

I was thinking this but you never know the football minds Archie and Eli talk to.

or it  could have been they mentioned it to someone who mentioned it to someone.....and on and on until somebody just happened to be talking to a media insider?

idk, I guess he must know as soon as he starts saying something, people will repeat it

either that or the true nature of 'nfl insider' involves espionage

14 minutes ago, Nadine said:

or it  could have been they mentioned it to someone who mentioned it to someone.....and on and on until somebody just happened to be talking to a media insider?

idk, I guess he must know as soon as he starts saying something, people will repeat it

Rob Lowe :P:P

31 minutes ago, Nadine said:

They just about consider anyone that watches a football game an NFL Insider now

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Archie puzzles me if he said what he was reported saying about the Colts firing Peyton. That is IF he said it? I say this because the Saints got rid of Archie and he finished his career in Houston and Minnesota. Archie has made a living off of the Saints after retirement so why should he have anything negative to say about the Colts. There seems to be a consensus that the Colts did something wrong to Peyton. I know what Peyton brought to the Colts but on the other hand the Colts have had a huge hand in making Peyton the richest football player in history so it's a two way street IMO. .

Money is not everything. It is a very big thing but not everything.

3 hours ago, Live and let live said:

Money is not everything. It is a very big thing but not everything.

What are you even talking about? Manning was treated like royalty here in Indy and had a key to the city so to say. You act like Manning was done wrong because the Colts drafted Luck and chose to move into the future. I guess a taste of reality is due for you.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What are you even talking about? Manning was treated like royalty here in Indy and had a key to the city so to say. You act like Manning was done wrong because the Colts drafted Luck and chose to move into the future. I guess a taste of reality is due for you.

I guess so if you think that the way he left the Colts was being treated like royalty. We will see. I think the Broncos have treated him like royalty and he has rewarded them with two SB appearances and you still think he will retire a Colt? Like I said, that is strong Gatorade they have in Indiana. God bless you, I hope you are right but in my heart, I know that you are very wrong.

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

What did he say? 

8 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

What did he say? 

I think it was in regard to an interview he gave after the AFCCG last Sunday regarding Peyton's release from the Colts and his acceptance in Denver.    Here's an excerpt from that:

“Whatever happens,” Archie told his wife about Peyton, “it’s been a good rodeo. It’s been a good 18 years.”

Archie grew emotional as he relayed the story in the bowels of Sports Authority Field, right after Peyton’s Broncos outlasted Tom Brady’s Patriots 20-18 to send the winning 39-year-old quarterback to a Super Bowl appearance that was unfathomable — even to Peyton’s family — as recently as a few weeks ago.

The old man’s eyes welled up and his voice cracked as he spoke of his appreciation for the city that took in Peyton after he was fired by the Indianapolis Colts in favor of Andrew Luck. “Ever since I used to play here,” Archie said, “I’d always go home and say, ‘Denver fans get it.'”

1 hour ago, Live and let live said:

I guess so if you think that the way he left the Colts was being treated like royalty. We will see. I think the Broncos have treated him like royalty and he has rewarded them with two SB appearances and you still think he will retire a Colt? Like I said, that is strong Gatorade they have in Indiana. God bless you, I hope you are right but in my heart, I know that you are very wrong.

Nonsense. You have no clue on what Manning feels or what he will or wont do. Manning himself said if he were Irsay he would draft Luck and start him. You don't seem to grasp what the Colts were facing but you think you know it all.

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Nonsense. You have no clue on what Manning feels or what he will or wont do. Manning himself said if he were Irsay he would draft Luck and start him. You don't seem to grasp what the Colts were facing but you think you know it all.

Read the post above yours. See Archie's quotes. Does that sound like a family that holds no grudge against the Colts and Jim Irsay?

9 hours ago, Live and let live said:

Are you still carrying on about that??  :::smh:::  Did you so conveniently forget that Peyton led the Colts to 2 Super Bowl appearances???  If you think the gatorade is strong in Indiana, then everyone must be high in Colorado !!  Peyton will retire a Colt, like he should !!!  You are very wrong that Peyton will retire a bronco, very wrong indeed.

15 hours ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

I think it was in regard to an interview he gave after the AFCCG last Sunday regarding Peyton's release from the Colts and his acceptance in Denver.    Here's an excerpt from that:

“Whatever happens,” Archie told his wife about Peyton, “it’s been a good rodeo. It’s been a good 18 years.”

Archie grew emotional as he relayed the story in the bowels of Sports Authority Field, right after Peyton’s Broncos outlasted Tom Brady’s Patriots 20-18 to send the winning 39-year-old quarterback to a Super Bowl appearance that was unfathomable — even to Peyton’s family — as recently as a few weeks ago.

The old man’s eyes welled up and his voice cracked as he spoke of his appreciation for the city that took in Peyton after he was fired by the Indianapolis Colts in favor of Andrew Luck. “Ever since I used to play here,” Archie said, “I’d always go home and say, ‘Denver fans get it.'”

Looks like it was less what he said and more what the writer wanted to convey himself. 

I saw the interview.  I think the writer nailed Archie's feelings and thoughts.  When I heard him speak, He was pretty emotional expressing himself.

But as, someone else pointed out, these are Archie's thoughts.   As a parent, and grandparent, I can say, my kids and grandkids bounce back from things and move on and let things go when something happens to them quicker than I do. :dunno:

Peyton was pretty emotional when leaving Indy,  but now hindsight I am pretty sure he knows it was the best case scenario for both sides.  He's done quite well for himself in Denver in his 4 years there and Luck is the future for the Colts.   Its all good.

8 hours ago, JlynRN said:

Are you still carrying on about that??  :::smh:::  Did you so conveniently forget that Peyton led the Colts to 2 Super Bowl appearances???  If you think the gatorade is strong in Indiana, then everyone must be high in Colorado !!  Peyton will retire a Colt, like he should !!!  You are very wrong that Peyton will retire a bronco, very wrong indeed.

Well I guess time will tell and Peyton will make the choice that he feels is best for him. :D