Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Colts hire Brian Schottenheimer as QBs coach

Dustin

10 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Isn't he just the QB coach?

Yes....      I was trying to respond to Bogie's post where he said he's worried that Schottenheimer will try to turn Luck into a "pure pocket passer".... 

I was simply saying that as the QB coach,  Schotty isn't going to do anything that Cghudzinski doesn't want to happen.

Edited by SteelCityColt

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes....      I was trying to respond to Bogie's post where he said he's worried that Schottenheimer will try to turn Luck into a "pure pocket passer".... 

I was simply saying that as the QB coach,  Schotty isn't going to do anything that Cghudzinski doesn't want to happen.

haha

7 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Valid points. However on the flip side, chud is still the OC and he worked with cam newton, tailoring the offense around newton's athletic ability and mobility.

And the Sanchez throwing the ball 40 to 50 times per game point really isn't relevant because shottenheimer won't be calling the plays...chud will.

Schotty wasn't the OC when Sanchez threw the ball 40 to 50 times per game either.  The reason the "40-50 times per game" isn't relevant is because it happened all of 6 times in Schotty's 3 years with Sanchez, including playoffs (so 53 games).  That's less than 30 attempts per game.  That's right about average - a little less actually.  

10 hours ago, Bogie said:

Not sure I like this signing. 

I don't see Luck as a pocket passer. He is more of a throwback 90s mobile quarterback, along the lines of Favre, Young, and Cunningham. 

Schotty will probably try to turn him into a pure pocket passer the way he did Mark Sanchez at NY. 

Those Jets teams had some controversy over time with him where he quit running the ball and was asking Sanchez to throw it 40-50 times, when it was clearly evident that Sanchez wasn't the type of QB to put that kind of pressure on. 

I hope this don't blow up in their faces, but I can see it happening. 

Do you understand the duties of a QB coach? 

36 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Serious question on the QB Coach position; what do Brady's and Manning's coaches teach them? I don't get this move but this guy might be living off his last name.

I think they go over film, are a solid sounding board for ideas, look for stuff and defenses during the game, help put together offensive game plans ect. Its a good hire!

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I expect great things this year from you Mr. Luck. Great things...

Glad to see we aren't bringing in "yes men" to the coaching staff. All of them are leaders who aren't afraid to speak their minds and give their two cents. That is essential in any organization.

Why would any coach not speak his mind? They'll all be working for Chuck, the man with the big smile and a tear in his eye. 

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok good I was afraid we made him assistant coach as well 

Don't understand why people act like Schottenheimers time as an OC means this is a bad hire. He could have been the worst OC in NFL history and it still would be irrelevant. He ain't the one calling the plays. Think I read he helped develop Rivers and Brees, that's good for enough for me to know. 

On January 17, 2016 at 3:27 PM, James Harden said:

meh I want Tom House to work with Luck. Tom work with Brady and Brees so that is saying something right there. Get this guy on the hotline. 

Watching that video of Mr. House doesn't exactly instill me with a lot of confidence. His delayed vocal tones & speech pattern pauses remind me of a left over hippie who enjoyed narcotics experimentation & 'free love' just a tad too much. haha Yeah, I know House does deserve credit for the trajectory Brees & Brady's careers have taken. 

On January 18, 2016 at 2:45 PM, ColtsLegacy said:

You're example is an excellent one CL. But for me, the #1 most boneheaded play in recent memory is courtesy of Greg Schiano vs Eli Manning. This play still ticks me off to this day bro. So bleeping stupid. Grrr! 

The game is over & Greg then HC of the Tampa Bay Bucs decides to lunge at the NY Giants QB to get a turnover when the game clock is about to expire. No wonder Schiano got fired. What a fool. SMH. And Greg still to this day can't comprehend why Tom Coughlin was so furious. You could have given Eli a serious injury on a dumb play when you had no chance of winning the game in regulation anyway. 

I always had respect for Marty & I'm sure Brian learned pivotal tools of the trade from his father that he can apply effectively as our new QB's coach. Rivers throws a beautiful pass & if Brain played a role in Philip's development that's good enough for me man as many have already stated above

6 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I always had respect for Marty & I'm sure Brian learned pivotal tools of the trade from his father that he can apply effectively as our new QB's coach. Rivers throws a beautiful pass & if Brain played a role in Philip's development that's good enough for me man as many have already stated above

I've still got a lot of respect for Marty Schottenheimer.  I'm surprised some team hasn't selected him in a consultant role of some sorts.  Especially teams like Indy that are always struggling in the run game.  Plus I've always felt his teams had nice personnel on the defensive side of the football. Especially those Chiefs and San Diego teams.  Maybe he could add a thing or two advise wise in that arena also.

Now as far as the passing game is concerned I don't think he can add much there.  I believe Marty was probably the reason Archie didn't want Eli to go to San Diego.  He probably knew Marty would have him handing the ball off all day long and wasting his talent with the Ground and Pound.  LOL!

9 hours ago, krunk said:

I forgot Schottenheimer also coached Brett Favre with the Jets, although I believe he was the coordinator at that point.

Yeah, it's easy to forget that Brian & Brett worked together in the Big Apple Gavin. I think Eric Mangini was the coach back then too. Man, it feels like that was a lifetime ago doesn't it? 

On January 20, 2016 at 8:03 AM, krunk said:

I've still got a lot of respect for Marty Schottenheimer.  I'm surprised some team hasn't selected him in a consultant role of some sorts.  Especially teams like Indy that are always struggling in the run game.  Plus I've always felt his teams had nice personnel on the defensive side of the football. Especially those Chiefs and San Diego teams.  Maybe he could add a thing or two advise wise in that arena also.

Now as far as the passing game is concerned I don't think he can add much there.  I believe Marty was probably the reason Archie didn't want Eli to go to San Diego.  He probably knew Marty would have him handing the ball off all day long and wasting his talent with the Ground and Pound.  LOL!

Good point krunk. Either that or Eli had no desire to become a surfer. Cowabunga dude. I can't picture Eli being comfortable doing that either. 

5 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

From the QB coach that brought you Mark Sanchez...

Have you seen a QB coach as of yet that could get something out of Sanchez?  To be honest Schottenheimer probably got the most out of Mr. Butt Fumble than anyone else. LOL

9 hours ago, UKColt13 said:

From the QB coach that brought you Mark Sanchez...

Yes, Sanchez is literally the ONLY qb that brian has worked with. Thank you.  I mean that. THANK YOU for pointing out what a HORRIBLE hire this was. The fact that the rest of us didn't see that figuratively sickens me. It really does. 

Now that you have so thankfully pointed out that they hired this...disgraceful mess of a coach who single handedly turned mark Sanchez into the steaming pile that he is today, we must protect luck. The same thing will OBVIOUSLY happen to luck if we don't do something. NOW!

I say we organize a rally right at colts hq. We'll bring signs.  That won't be enough though. Not nearly enough.  Someone bring a boiling cauldron of tar and I'll bring the feathers...and we won't leave until this new monstrosity has received his tar and feathery makeover and has been stricken from our coaching staff!!!!

On 1/18/2016 at 10:09 PM, OffensivelyPC said:

As an OC, yeah, he wasn't very good.  But to me, when I see Drew Brees and Philip Rivers on his resume, that's good.  Granted, Rivers didn't receive full playing time until the 2006, which was Schottenheimer's first year with the Jets, but the development of Rivers is at least on his resume.  Couldn't have done a bad job considering Rivers 2006 season. 

But for me, what takes the cake is Mark Sanchez - he got enough out of him to game manage his way to the AFC CG twice, including his rookie season.  Then it all went downhill in 2012 when all the locker room issues were going on and we basically never heard from him again. 

Drew Brees had his best seasons after he left San Diego. The fact that the Chargers had a HOF QB and he was held back to that mediocre level of play is more of an indictment of Schottenheimer. Sanchez had his best career year in 2014 and was playing at the same level in the few games he played in 2015. Hell, even Bradford set career marks in comp% and YPA in his year free of Schottenheimer last season. 

There's no reason to believe this guy is anything other than a result of nepotism.