Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Hire Jim Herrmann LBers Coach (merge)

gnet550

Welcome Coach Herrmann!

Don't know a lot about him, or the NYG LBer Corps of recent years.....but he's been a LBer Coach in the NFL since 2006 (NYJ and NYG)  and has LBer Coach and limited DC experience in College (Mich)  as well as being a former ILB himself....  starting to round out the Staff on D.....  Thoughts?

"For his last nine seasons at Michigan, Herrman was defensive coordinator (1997-2005).  During those nine seasons, Michigan won five Big Ten championships, led the Big Ten in sacks in three different seasons (including a school record 50 in 2001), had six All-Americans, and a Heisman winner (Charles Woodson).  The defense also held 47 different opponents under 100 yards rushing during Herrmann's tenure as coordinator.  In his first season in that position, 1997, Michigan won the national championship while having the country's best defense in terms of total yards, scoring, and passing efficiency.  Herrmann was the winner of the Broyles Award that year, which goes to the best assistant coach in the country."

I'm pretty pleased with that resume.

8 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Didn't see this thread when I posted mine just now...opps!  I dunno how much NYG fan's opinion is based in performance, vs. how much is based in some key injuries they suffered at LB

They also have a GM who doesn't value the LB position. He passed on C.J. Mosely and Alec Ogletree just to name a few.

Cant blame a guy when he doesn't have anything to work with.

31 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

They also have a GM who doesn't value the LB position. He passed on C.J. Mosely and Alec Ogletree just to name a few.

Cant blame a guy when he doesn't have anything to work with.

Not sure that is accurate at all.  Passing over guys does come close to meaning they don't value LB's.  It simply means they valued other guys more.

46 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Not sure that is accurate at all.  Passing over guys does come close to meaning they don't value LB's.  It simply means they valued other guys more.

But in the past couple of years I've heard from Giants fans on several mock draft sites that would have the Giants taking a LB in the first 2 rounds that it was unlikely because Reese just doesn't value that position.

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

But in the past couple of years I've heard from Giants fans on several mock draft sites that would have the Giants taking a LB in the first 2 rounds that it was unlikely because Reese just doesn't value that position.

Using a fan base as evidence to support your claim does not really help your cause.

Man as long as they reach these damn olbs how to rush a passer I don't care who they bring in lol and also people who are smart to see that sio Moore and Irving are the most  athletic on the team so they need more snaps (at ilb and I'd assume Moore is a better olb than newsome and Werner)

3 hours ago, zibby43 said:

"For his last nine seasons at Michigan, Herrman was defensive coordinator (1997-2005).  During those nine seasons, Michigan won five Big Ten championships, led the Big Ten in sacks in three different seasons (including a school record 50 in 2001), had six All-Americans, and a Heisman winner (Charles Woodson).  The defense also held 47 different opponents under 100 yards rushing during Herrmann's tenure as coordinator.  In his first season in that position, 1997, Michigan won the national championship while having the country's best defense in terms of total yards, scoring, and passing efficiency.  Herrmann was the winner of the Broyles Award that year, which goes to the best assistant coach in the country."

I'm pretty pleased with that resume.

Very impressive resume. I really can't comment on Herrman based upon the fact I haven't followed his career. But, I'm quite sure Monachino has & also the Colts to some degree. Monachino had input as well as Pagano. Have to rely on that. Certainly hope he's a great fit for Indy.

Would love to see game-changers at these positions. Whether that's coaching up and/or acquiring that through other means could be the battery that starts this defensive surge for the organization.

The cool thing is Monachino and Hermann have backgrounds that complement each other.

Monachino is the new DC and Hermann has years of DC experience on the college level.  Monachino and Hermann both have extensive work as linebacker coaches so they can kind of put their heads together and come up with some creative stuff.  I'm intrigued!

5 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

The lb core for the Giants was definitely a liability this past season.  But, the Eagles did offer Jim the DC position in 2013 but he declined so the Colts aren't the only ones that like/liked him.

Oh God not another Grigson/Philly connection... those have worked out so well in the past.  

5 hours ago, ColtRider said:

Very impressive resume. I really can't comment on Herrman based upon the fact I haven't followed his career. But, I'm quite sure Monachino has & also the Colts to some degree. Monachino had input as well as Pagano. Have to rely on that. Certainly hope he's a great fit for Indy.

Would love to see game-changers at these positions. Whether that's coaching up and/or acquiring that through other means could be the battery that starts this defensive surge for the organization.

I really like the fact that the Colts are shaking up the staff.  It just seemed as if things were getting stagnant/stale.  If the new coaches are able to unlock some extra potential in the younger, still-developing Colts, then the team can continue pursuing its goal of getting "younger."  It's always a huge positive when you can develop the young talent.  Development reduces the need for risky FA signing sprees.

Hopefully they will bring on Donnie Henderson. I see the Bills just hired Ed Reed as the secondary coach. I don't think it was an indictment against Donnie. I just think Rex wanted to give Ed a shot. I mean who would complain about Ed Reed coaching the secondary?

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Hopefully they will bring on Donnie Henderson. I see the Bills just hired Ed Reed as the secondary coach. I don't think it was an indictment against Donnie. I just think Rex wanted to give Ed a shot. I mean who would complain about Ed Reed coaching the secondary?

I agree with Ed Reed coming in but imagine how this forum would react if Grigson hired someone with no experience? Talk about drama haha

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I agree with Ed Reed coming in but imagine how this forum would react if Grigson hired someone with no experience? Talk about drama haha

Might not be that bad. We just hired a DC with no experience at the position, but I see what you're saying because Reed has no experience coaching at all. However we must not forget about Mike Vraebel down in Houston. He had no experience coaching either. Reed is a natural coach and he was a way better player at the position than almost anyone you or i can think of. Plus we are just talking mostly about a position coach job instead of one of the coordinators. I considered him once Reed started talking about coaching the Miami Hurricanes. Oh well he is with the Bills now.

8 minutes ago, krunk said:

Might not be that bad. We just hired a DC with no experience at the position, but I see what you're saying because Reed has no experience coaching at all. However we must not forget about Mike Vraebel down in Houston. He had no experience coaching either. Reed is a natural coach and he was a way better player at the position than almost anyone you or i can think of. Plus we are just talking mostly about a position coach job instead of one of the coordinators. I considered him once Reed started talking about coaching the Miami Hurricanes. Oh well he is with the Bills now.

I know K, I was just being a little sarcastic.

On another subject I wonder if the Colts are going to do the Consultant thing again?  Doesn't seem to me as of right now there are a lot of people calling on Mike Pettine.  I'm curious if the Colts would look at him in the same role as the Bills hired Rob Ryan for?  Bring him in as consultant/assistant head coach to the defense.  Or maybe they'll just leave it as it is with Monachino?

15 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

A small Philly Connection, yes. Grigson connection, no. Why would Grigson have anythIng to do with philly Wanting him In 2013?

Sorry, call it a negative reflex when the Colts do anything with Philly's fingerprints/name invoked.  Perhaps I missed om that one, but man, I am SICK of anything Grigson has done connected to Philly so it's hard not to react.  I will say in my defense that Grigson STILL seems totally plugged in to Philly and taking their apparent bad advice on players abilities (or perhaps simply his own sole bad judgement, either way, ACK)

The positive thing about hiring Jim is that he has experience against the New England team. He was the Giants LB coach when they beat the New England team in the SB at Lucas Oil. He only has 2 seasons 07 & 08 (under Mangini) that his LB core has played a 3-4 though. In 2006 the Jets were a 4-3. The Giants have been a 4-3 D his entire tenure. That makes me wonder who we would potentially go after in the draft.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would say a 41-23 record with a few playoff wins hasn't been that bad.

At least half the board was cheering to fire Grigson (I actually said to keep them both early on when the calls started coming to fire people).  I think some of that anger resulted in his Philly dealings. He signed a guard that was so bad he couldn't even get playing time on our terrible line.  That was just one of several weak decisions.  

I will say something nice about Grigson.. if he found our Punt Returner (name is slipping my mind) he finally got it right after some epic fails.