Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts reaching out to Joe Philbin

Devildog

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from that Miami line I feel kinda funny.  I think Andrew just passed out!

I heard Philbin had very little personnel control in Miami though so I'm trying to consider the outside factors that played into the situation.  Both in Green Bay and Miami.  I'm trying to keep an open mind here.  I know he used to be the OL coach in Green Bay for a while so he's got some experience I'll say that.

I would not take it if I was Philbin.  Regardless....that is a smack in the face.  Maybe he wants to be with Pagano?  No clue why he would ever accept an OL  coach position...

My question would be......why did Philbin get the Miami job?  What are his qualities.  We know he had no personnel power in Miami.....

17 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

How 'bout luring Bill Callahan out of Washington? :) 

Seriously though, it's really a pretty good idea from the perspective of the Colts. Philbin coached the Green Bay line back to 2007 before engaging Miami just as "krunk" mentioned. 

4 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Curious why you think that.  Air Coryell is typically a power scheme.   

Because of Chudzinski.  He typcially runs a zone blocking scheme, which is what they ran when he was with Cam Newton.  Plus every OL coach we've reached out to so far specializes in zone. Especially Foerster who was hand picked by Mike Shanahan when he went to the Redskins.  We know Shanahan always uses ZBS.  Now we've added Joe Philbin to the list.  Zone is what they ran and do run in Green Bay. Zone is what the Dolphins ran under Philbin.

3 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Curious why you think that.  Air Coryell is typically a power scheme.   

Air Coryell is mainly just the style of play. Downfield passing game and certain personnel sets.  It can be ran regardless of blocking scheme.

Just looking over varying comments from Dolphins fans on one of the Philbin articles

• deenchaz says: Jan 13, 2016 8:33 AM

As A Dolphins fan ,I liked him. He knows his x and o’s,he’s a good evaluator of talent but lacked leadership skills which was his undoing.I wish him the best.

• dolfan72 says: Jan 13, 2016 8:13 AM

Are you guys TRYING to get Pagano fired!

I do not hear his name as a HC possibility anywhere else.  This is a football job and he is a football job with a challenge.  We should realize that every coach is competitive and appreciates a challenge.  What is a bigger challenge than the Colts O-Line?   If you are the O-Line coach that turns around would that not be a feather in his cap.  Remember not every FB coach is cut out to be a head coach.  I think he is definitely worth consideration for the job.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

Just looking over varying comments from Dolphins fans on one of the Philbin articles

• deenchaz says: Jan 13, 2016 8:33 AM

As A Dolphins fan ,I liked him. He knows his x and o’s,he’s a good evaluator of talent but lacked leadership skills which was his undoing.I wish him the best.

• dolfan72 says: Jan 13, 2016 8:13 AM

Are you guys TRYING to get Pagano fired!

I bet Mike McCarthy would give a pretty good endorsement for Philbin.  

The Dolphins had him as head coach.  Would be no problem as OL coach IMO.

I still would not accept the job.

Just now, BrentMc11 said:

Philbin worked in one of the great college offensive line programs at Iowa under head coach Kirk Ferentz who continues to churn out NFL offensive linemen year in and year. They happen to be a zone blocking scheme.

2 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Why?  Are you thinking he should accept nothing less than a Coordinator spot, being that he was previously a head coach?

Just now, theanarchist said:

Philbin worked in one of the great college offensive line programs at Iowa under head coach Kirk Ferentz who continues to churn out NFL offensive linemen year in and year. They happen to be a zone blocking scheme.

Excellent point.  I should have added that!!! :thmup:

18 minutes ago, krunk said:

Why?  Are you thinking he should accept nothing less than a Coordinator spot, being that he was previously a head coach?

I am saying if it were me, I would not take it.  It is a kick in the *** to a HC that was close to a .500 in winning %.

He is probably (someone can tell me if I am wrong) still making some good money from the Dolphins.

Jim Irsay may throw money at him that will make him want to.  I just wouldn't. That's me.

ZBS is probably the best way to go any way when you look at what's happening on the college level with all the zone read/zone blocking type of stuff.  You'll probably have a better chance to get quality linemen for your scheme vs running the power stuff.

2 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

I am saying if it were me, I would not take it.  It is a kick in the *** to a HC that was close to a .500 in winning %.

He is probably (someone can tell me if I am wrong) still making some good money from the Dolphin.

Jim Irsay may throw money at him that will make him want to.  I just wouldn't. That's me.

I think at this point in time he'd have a hard time finding another HC spot, but I do believe somebody would hire him as an OC somewhere possibly.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

ZBS is probably the best way to go any way when you look at what's happening on the college level with all the zone read/zone blocking type of stuff.  You'll probably have a better chance to get quality linemen for your scheme vs running the power stuff.

Exactly.  Even the studs have real issues with man to man.  That is why the NFL has so many poor offensive lines.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

Yep. The league has more of the zone read/blocking schemes. That's obvious. The quickness of the game has changed over the years from power reads and runs. Some still employ it, and it works, but on limited sets during the complexity of the game & it's game planning via opponent.

Philbin reminds me of Callahan in Washington. Callahan built a pretty solid line in Dallas before joining the Redskins.

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

That's kind of my thinking as well.  With the way that it's been so difficult the past several years developing OL talent across the league, going to a zone scheme will help maximize the output potential by keeping guys in a system with which they're familiar.  Plus, the PBS require your lineman to physically outmatch someone who they may not be able to physically outmatch (Satele is probably the best example).    We shouldn't completely abandon the power blocking, if for no other reason to give different looks.  But with a ZBS, you're going to minimize the risks in being physically outmatched and instead, win with technique - plus I like the idea of using the defenders momentum against him rather than pushing an anchor backward.  I know that's simplistic, but it's how I view it.

I'd be very happy with this.  Getting a guy with his experience would be better than the *-clowns we've had running our OL.  A lot of questionable decisions the last couple of years - starting Thornton as a rookie without a TC on the wrong side of the line, for one.  Benching Shipley (who was paying fantastic) in favor of rookie FA Harrison last year.  The initial OL configuration at the beginning of this year that had to be revamped due to ineffectiveness.  I never remember anything like these things happening with Mudd...

I would think he's mostly a ZBS guy, which is a good thing, but it's an interesting mix with the Air Coryell offense which typically features man/power running. A lot of the play action stuff in a Coryell is off of power fakes with pulling guards, etc., which theoretically buys more time to dial up deep shots.

I don't judge Philbin on the quality of the OL play when he was a coordinator or a head coach. When he was the Packers OL coach, they didn't give up a lot of sacks, and they still had Brett Favre, who would often hold the ball longer than he should (but who also had a very quick release and avoided a lot of sacks). Their run game that year wasn't good. He was an assistant line coach prior to that, and the results were mixed.

I think he's a good X's and O's guy, just not a good head coach. As an OC, he had Brett Favre in 2007 (which was a great season), and then he coached Aaron Rodgers for his first four years (which included a SB and then a GREAT season in 2011 when Rodgers won MVP, one of the greatest seasons of QBing in history, still the highest single season passer rating ever). I think he knows offense, and has worked with some good QBs. 

12 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

This could also be an interesting move for the future.  Say he comes in as an OL coach and the offense does well.  If Chud gets a head coaching offer, we'd have Philbin and Christensen as possible OC candidates.  Philbin did pretty well as the OC in Green Bay

Completely different offense for Philbin. He's a WCO guy.

3 hours ago, ColtRider said:

How 'bout luring Bill Callahan out of Washington? :) 

Two problems with Callahan.

One, I suspect he's under contract and we're not offering a promotion.

Two,  I think he's the highest paid o-line coach in the NFL.     I'm not sure Irsay wants to get into a bidding war for him if he had to.

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Two problems with Callahan.

One, I suspect he's under contract and we're not offering a promotion.

Two,  I think he's the highest paid o-line coach in the NFL.     I'm not sure Irsay wants to get into a bidding war for him if he had to.

True. Very true. Wishful thinking on my part. :)