Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Just gonna leave this here....

Detectacon

3 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Irsay could still change his HC and GM after 2 years if no changes for the better occur for this team. By that time, Saban, Harbaugh, and Gruden could all be in play.

Only name on that list worst taking a hard look is harbaugh 

3 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

I still can't see how people think he was such a great coach.  He was average and got lucky using a team mostly already built for him to win a SB.

Even if you think he had nothing to do with Tampa winning it all -- which I think is wrong,  what about what HE helped build in Oakland?      You know, the team he left to to go Tampa and that team went to the SB.

You can't have it both ways....   he had nothing to do with Tampa and he also gets no credit for Oakland.

I think the anti-Gruden crowd are playing this a little fast and loose......

18 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

So peter king thinks that Gruden might have listened?   That's earth shattering. Thanks peter 

"I think I think..."   Sounds like he's not even sure he believed it.  I think I think any coach is willing to listen if they're available.  Whoop de doo.

35 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Even if you think he had nothing to do with Tampa winning it all -- which I think is wrong,  what about what HE helped build in Oakland?      You know, the team he left to to go Tampa and that team went to the SB.

You can't have it both ways....   he had nothing to do with Tampa and he also gets no credit for Oakland.

I think the anti-Gruden crowd are playing this a little fast and loose......

I understand where your coming from but there is a lot to consider with Gruden in mind. He has been fired from every job he has had except when he was traded by the Raiders. If he was really that well thought of by the Raiders I kinda doubt they would have traded him. There are few and far between players who have played for him that have any good things to say about him and that goes before he went to the Raiders. His record with the Raiders was 38-26. His record with Tampa was 57-55. Do those numbers qualify for him to be great coach? You look at the first four years at Oakland and compare them to Pagano. Gruden-38-26 / Pagano- 40-23. But yet some wanted Pagano fired and then wanted Gruden? Gruden had one of the best defenses around when he took over in Tampa. Did Pagano have that? No, he took over a rebuilt team that was 2-14 with virtually a new roster. Because Gruder won a super bowl with the best defense in the league at the time, he gets more credit that deserved IMO.

36 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand where your coming from but there is a lot to consider with Gruden in mind. He has been fired from every job he has had except when he was traded by the Raiders. If he was really that well thought of by the Raiders I kinda doubt they would have traded him. There are few and far between players who have played for him that have any good things to say about him and that goes before he went to the Raiders. His record with the Raiders was 38-26. His record with Tampa was 57-55. Do those numbers qualify for him to be great coach? You look at the first four years at Oakland and compare them to Pagano. Gruden-38-26 / Pagano- 40-23. But yet some wanted Pagano fired and then wanted Gruden? Gruden had one of the best defenses around when he took over in Tampa. Did Pagano have that? No, he took over a rebuilt team that was 2-14 with virtually a new roster. Because Gruder won a super bowl with the best defense in the league at the time, he gets more credit that deserved IMO.

OK....   you lost me.

Gruden has had TWO head coaching jobs.     The Raiders and the Bucs.

He built up one to get to the Super Bowl       And he took the other to the Super Bowl.     About 7-8 years later, he was fired from that job.      And you can hardly blame the Raiders for trading him.    They wouldn't pay Gruden, and he was very unhappy.    So they traded him for a boat-load of high draft picks.    I think it was two 1's and two 2's, but I'm probably off, though not by much.

Otherwise,  that's it.

So, I don't understand "fired from every job he's he has had" line....?      Could you be confusing him with someone else?

4 hours ago, SteelDragon said:

Would rather have Pagano. Gruden sure is held in high esteem for having done so little. 

My sentiments exactly SD. Besides, he's got a dream gig doing MNF for ESPN. He gets to rub elbows with owners & superstar players, he gets a tremendous salary with better job security, & he's in his natural element as a play by play formation commentator. Spider Y banana routes get Jon a little too excited for my tastes. Just saying. 

Gruen's never leaving ESPN. I just get where all this coaching vacancy love for Chucky comes from either. I like the guy as an analyst, but would I want him to lead my team if I was Jimmy? Oh hades no. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

OK....   you lost me.

Gruden has had TWO head coaching jobs.     The Raiders and the Bucs.

He built up one to get to the Super Bowl       And he took the other to the Super Bowl.     About 7-8 years later, he was fired from that job.      And you can hardly blame the Raiders for trading him.    They wouldn't pay Gruden, and he was very unhappy.    So they traded him for a boat-load of high draft picks.    I think it was two 1's and two 2's, but I'm probably off, though not by much.

Otherwise,  that's it.

So, I don't understand "fired from every job he's he has had" line....?      Could you be confusing him with someone else?

You might be right? Gruden wears his welcome out rather quickly where ever he has been. Try reading these articles. Fox Sports-Richard Manfredi-1-28-2009 /  NBC Sports-Mike Florio-11-2-2011 / Espn,com news service- 1-23-2013. Players who played for Gruden used words like turncoat, scumbag, inherently dishonest, dictatorial and dysfunction are used. These are the players words, not mine.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You might be right? Gruden wears his welcome out rather quickly where ever he has been. Try reading these articles. Fox Sports-Richard Manfredi-1-28-2009 /  NBC Sports-Mike Florio-11-2-2011 / Espn,com news service- 1-23-2013. Players who played for Gruden used words like turncoat, scumbag, inherently dishonest, dictatorial and dysfunction are used. These are the players words, not mine.

I haven't had a chance yet to read the articles,  but you lost me with the wears out his welcome rather quickly comment. 

He was with the Raiders for 4 years.   He won 12 games his 3rd and 4th years and Al Davis wouldn't pay him on his next contract.     So, working with Gruden,  Davis agreed to trade hm to Tampa.      And he was the HC there for....   SEVEN years!    

I don't know why you'd hold Gruden responsible for his time with the Raiders.   Davis had a terrible track record with coaches for roughly the last 10-12 years he was alive.     As for Tampa,  he lasted 7 years.    Doesn't sound like he wore out his welcome quickly.

I'll get to these articles in the next 24 hours, and we can talk more...   I realize your articles will have some strong points to make.

I do agree with NCF that Gru-den did a nice job making the Raiders a respectable playoff team since Howie Long won a ring with the franchise. And, Jon did a nice job in 2002 making guys on the Tampa Bay roster buy into his program which Gru-den deserves credit for. 

I don't hate Gru-den. I just think he had his run, won a ring, & he needs to stay in the broadcast booth until he retires or dies. It's his niche & he needs to remain where his talents are best suited IMO. 

3 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Thank God for Urban Dictionary.com. Otherwise,  I'd be lost with so many abbreviations. 

I need all the help I can get. Ha! Ha! I used to laugh when my dad looked bewildered. Now, I get it & sympathize pops. Sorry, my bad. 

You didn't know what BFD is? I would type it out but the F word might get me in trouble here haha Just messing with you SW1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You didn't what BFD is? I would type it out but the F word might get me in trouble here haha Just messing with you SW1

I'm 28 and I have no idea what BFD is either. I wish people would take 3 extra seconds and spell out what they mean.

Of course, in this case, it looks like he couldn't.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You didn't what BFD is? I would type it out but the F word might get me in trouble here haha Just messing with you SW1

To-uche CBE. In my defense though, America has some many abbreviations depending on slang, curse words, or specific disciples that it's easy to get lost in the weeds. 

15 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Thank God for Urban Dictionary.com. Otherwise,  I'd be lost with so many abbreviations. 

I need all the help I can get. Ha! Ha! I used to laugh when my dad looked bewildered. Now, I get it & sympathize pops. Sorry, my bad. 

If it makes you feel any better, I don't even have a cell phone. The biggest reason is I hate texting and it's the most annoying thing in the world to me. Takes 10 minutes to text 2 sentences on a phone when i could just say it on a normal phone or computer in 5-10 seconds. I've heard what BFD means now that I looked it up, but I've never heard that specific abbreviation. 

15 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If it makes you feel any better, I don't even have a cell phone. The biggest reason is I hate texting and it's the most annoying thing in the world to me. Takes 10 minutes to write 2 sentences on a phone when i could just say it on a normal phone or computer in 5-10 seconds. I've heard what BFD means now that I looked it up, but I've never heard that specific abbreviation. 

Actually, that does make me feel better Jared thank you. Yeah, I was in a car accident 4-5 years ago because a woman was texting & not paying attention to her surroundings. Plus, it bothers me how the 21st Century world automatically assumes that everybody has a computer or cell phone & they look at you like you're a martian from Saturn if you don't have both & aren't joined at the hip with a phone like a darn umbilical cord. It's really a shame. 

Or when radio contests ask you to text a word to have a shot at winning money & prizes. When did dialing a station's phone number become so painstakingly difficult? Also, like you say, people have some really trivial & lame conversations while texting. It's no wonder people can't communicate anymore. End rant. 

1 minute ago, southwest1 said:

Actually, that does make me feel better Jared thank you. Yeah, I was in a car accident 4-5 years ago because a woman was texting & not paying attention to her surroundings. Plus, it bothers me how the 21st Century world automatically assumes that everybody has a computer or cell phone & they look at you like you're a martian from Saturn if you don't have both & are joined at the hip with a phone like a darn umbilical cord. It's really a shame. 

Or when radio contests ask you to text a word to have a shot at winning money & prizes. When did dialing a station's phone number become so painstakingly difficult? Also, like you say, people have some really trivial & lame conversations well texting. It's no wonder people can't communicate anymore. End rant. 

Absolutely, I like my conversations to be more personable when possible. I can't stand texting as I don't get to hear the person, how they are feeling, their emotions, and how they react back to me. It takes all the joy out of a conversation. When I was little, I called the WWF superstar line to take to some wrestlers in the early 90s, talked to Shawn Michaels (if you know who that is) and it was the experience of a lifetime without actually meeting him. I got to hear his voice and I got to hear him talk back to me. We had a real conversation about wrestling and it was personable. I've talked to a couple wrestlers recently on twitter, but it's nothing like that. Texting is even worse as it can be an hour long conversation and you could be talking in between 3 people. At least on the phone it's a genuine conversation between 2 people. Same on the computer a lot.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Damn Jared, you don't have a cell phone?? I don't text much but have one as I have no house phone. They are good for emergency situations too.

I do need to get one for emergencies in case my phone gets disconnected, an electric outage or if I get stranded. I have a rather odd question. How do you use a phone to look at things on the internet? I've never tried this and would like to know before getting one.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I do need to get one for emergencies in case my phone gets disconnected, an electric outage or if I get stranded. I have a rather odd question. How do you use a phone to look at things on the internet? I've never tried this and would like to know before getting one.

I have U-Verse and Wifi Internet, no house phone required. My Internet is fast too.

I have U-Verse and Wifi Internet, no house phone required. My Internet is fast too.

I do have WiFi, so that's covered. I've never heard of U-Verse. It sounds like I have what's needed already though. My internet is very fast as well. I'll probably get a cell phone without texting and with internet. I can use it for emergencies and also for when I buy sports cards and video games at my retro store I go too. It would be nice to have a consistent e-bay with me. A lot of stuff to memorize. Also, a safety net as well.

Damn Jared, you don't have a cell phone?? I don't text much but have one as I have no house phone. They are good for emergency situations too.

I get your point CBE, which does have merit should say a person's car breakdown. However, as we all learned in the film 'Terminator 2: Judgement Day' our reliance on technology & convenience will be mankind's downfall. Here comes SkyNet. Self awareness can be a major pain in the caboose for mere humans you know. 

Just goofing around. :P

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I get your point CBE, which does have merit should say a person's car breakdown. However, as we all learned in the film 'Terminator 2: Judgement Day' our reliance on technology & convenience will be mankind's downfall. Here comes SkyNet. Self awareness can be a major pain in the caboose for mere humans you know. 

Just goofing around. :P

Terminator 2 is the best!