Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can this Regime win a Championship?

BProland85

3 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Absolutely not. But they should win another AFC South division title, and not be a Division title participant next year, since it is the worst division in the entire league, when an 8-8 Colts team nearly could have took it if Houston didn't get their stuff together. 

How are the saints doing? 

3 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Absolutely not. But they should win another AFC South division title, and not be a Division title participant next year, since it is the worst division in the entire league, when an 8-8 Colts team nearly could have took it if Houston didn't get their stuff together. 

The NFC east is just as bad if not worse.

i think we definitely will.  We have to keep in mind Grigson and Pagano are rookies at their jobs.  So mistakes are to be made.  But I think they are getting better.  Grigson admits mistakes.  But look at the draft we had this year.  Solid all the way through.  I think if he gets better at pro free agents, we will do very good.  I think if we get impact DC we will do very well.

19 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Wow..another retort from a reta...I won't go there...lol! Son, you best make sure your own back yard is clean before you speak such nonsense.

3 hours ago, lester said:

We all thought Trent was the right thing to do. All of us. Hindsight is 20/20.

Not true.  Many who saw him play in Cleveland were not overly excited about the move.  The 12 TDs were impressive but there was a high percentage of <2 yard gains in Cleveland just like you saw in Indy.

We base our opinions on very limited information and prejudices. No one has a crystal ball to say definitively what the future holds.

There are a few of reasons for optimism:

The Colts played the Pats and Carolina tough this year and could have won either game. They also beat Denver.

Much of their problem was "friendly fire" and can be corrected.

Injured players returning.

A decent draft/FA could shore up some deficiencies.

It appeared that the meddling by Grigson was addressed by Irsay and Grigs may have more liberty to coach the way he wants to.

Luck, Grigs and Pagano made mistakes up to this point and will hopefully, learn from these.

The bottom line is, the Colts underachieved this year due to mistakes in execution, coaching and injury. Perhaps with a new DC and scheme, a good draft and FA, a healthy Luck and improved O-line, pass rush and secondary, they will be a much improved team next year. If that is the case, why can't they win it all?

GO COLTS!!!

I don't see this regime winning a championship. I just don't think the Colts are that type of organization. They're a team who can win a lot of games, but will never win multiple championships like other clubs.

I don't see anything in the current staff to give me the belief they can win a Super Bowl. Playoff games? Yes. But not the big one.

14 hours ago, lester said:

We all thought Trent was the right thing to do. All of us. Hindsight is 20/20.

The logic on Dorsett is understood. Might not be the choice many of us would make, but the logic is sound.

Intelligence is not Grigson's problem.

I didn't want TR.  Liked TR in college and even liked him in Cleveland, but did not want him as a Colt.  Our O-line wasn't as good as Cleveland's, so I thought TR would be wasted.

Dorsett is not understood.  He was not BPA.  Was a luxury pick.  Better picks would have been; Safety, D--line, or ILB.

Grigson's problem isn't intelligence, but ego.  Grigson is very rigid when drafting.  Grigson stated that he sets his draft board before the Combine and does little adjusting after the Combine.. 

Until we get a coach who isn't a deer in the headlights guy, status quo.  Now, perhaps the light went off when his job was in serious jeopardy.  But he will never be a Bilichik, no one is.  Having said that, if he can get his act together and play the part of a head coach in command of his duties and people, we have a chance.  I am hopeful that this Irsay process and this tough year hardened him and will make a more complete coach out of him.  If he is an intelligent football guy, it will happen over time.

16 hours ago, MTC said:

Doubt it unless we fix our whole plan in FA and the draft.

No more spending overrated older free agents. 

Must build through the draft.

They're trying to build through the draft, but they have to add FAs to fill in the gaps.  Grigson has used pretty much the same strategy since he got here...use FA primarily to bring in role players and stop-gap players that will work until your draft picks are ready to go.  So many players that some fans keep holding on to as "bad FA signings" were not bad at all...they were exactly what they were intended to be...stop gaps on a team-friendly deal that could be extended if said player proves to be more than just a stop-gap.  If the player doesn't prove that, then he gets released with little repercussions in terms of dead cap space.  Cherilus and Landry being the obvious exceptions.

14 hours ago, colts_100nascar17fan said:

No way,no how. I don't buy the whole grigs n pags kiss and made up. I think Sean Payton said he wasn't interested in the job and he was the guy irsay wanted and when that was unrealistic he then tried to fend the fences and keep both. I bet they both have contracts full of clauses  so they can be rid of without paying any remaining money.

Yeah, try to think this through...why would either Grigson or Pagano sign multi-year extensions if the issues between them either 1. weren't worked out or 2. never as bad as the media tried to make them out to be?  

14 hours ago, Nilescolt said:

and 90% of loses were blow outs.  

Yeah, you might want to fact-check that.

15 hours ago, Nilescolt said:

We shall see when season starts and other teams fans show up , this debacle will be a main theme. I can see the Oprah and dr phil references now ugh

Other teams fans show up? Who cares? They are only as relevant as Colt fans let or make them be. It's pretty easy to make other teams fans not have any bearing by ignoring them. I did it the better part of last season and I didn't have near as much emotional nonsense coming my way. If you don't give them the time of day it makes them mute.

3 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Continuity would be 4 more years of 8-8 records.

That's not what the point was. The organization has been winning at a high rate for awhile now. Down years happen to even the best teams. Even Belichick had to pay his dues(growing/learning) as a coach from his Cleveland days. Cherry pick my statement all you want. Cannot overlook the fact that even our(Colts) front office and coaching has the ability to improve. Pretty sure Mr. Irsay knows more on the matter than we ever could. 

grunch

I think people underestimate and/or underappreciate what a great job this regime has done over the last 4 years.  Only 3 teams - 3!!! - have won more overall games.  Only 4 teams - 4!!!!!! - have won more playoff games (though likely after this postseason that number will go up to 5 or 6).

It's not like we're the Browns or the Raiders.  Pagano and Grigson just need to learn from their mistakes and continue to improve.

On January 5, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Pacergeek said:

You think trading a first round pick for Richardson is the work of a smart person? You think drafting Phillip Dorsett in the first round was the work of a bright individual? You must have very low intelligence standards bro

You can really only argue drafting Dorsett because how could anyone have known rischardson would have been worse here than in Cleveland

On 1/5/2016 at 6:11 PM, Pacergeek said:

You think trading a first round pick for Richardson is the work of a smart person? You think drafting Phillip Dorsett in the first round was the work of a bright individual? You must have very low intelligence standards bro

I know I'm going to regret this but....is your problem with Dorsett in the first round because you don't believe he was a first round talent?  Or because WR wasn't a need?