Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4 pm press conference / UPDATE: NO presser scheduled yet

CR91

Irsay should expect Chuck to Fire/Replace many of his coaches.
Will Chuck do it?
 Many of "Chucks players" won`t be here next season, and many more the season after that.
  To me, Chuck is a fine leader, but where is the Defense?
  This Franchise is on shaky ground going forward with Grigson and Chuck. lol
  This has been a Suck season to watch. Go Colts!

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Yea but if we had these two against the Texans two weeks ago, makes all the difference in the world. Could have beat the Jets if Gore doesn't fumble on the goal line. Same with Carolina if it wasn't raining, if Vontae doesn't drop that pick, if they score at the end of the game, then again Ginn also dropped a wide open TD. Anything could have happened but if you pinpoint one thing having these two guys available vs. Texans two weeks ago would have been it.

I doubt it.  The Texans are a much better team than the Titans.  There is no promise that the game plan they used against the Titans would have worked against the Texans defense.

if anything I think you could argue they should have gone with Whitehurst in that game over a beat up Hasselbeck.  

Either way it points to an issue I raised earlier in this thread seeing Chuck out coach the other team has been far too rare.  

29 minutes ago, ColtStronger said:

It sounds like the fans and players want Chuck back, and they're not shying away from voicing their opinion.  All I want is Grigson gone.  Maybe Irsay is thinking about this decision more and it wasn't "automatic" like everyone was thinking.  I do believe there are a few better HC options on the table, but I do like Chuck.  I'm torn in between, because I just don't know if Pagano is the best coach for this team.  Good mentor/friend, definitely!  Chuck has done some great things and will continue to wherever he ends up, but to win multiple SB's IDK if he can do it.

I'd be satisfied if all they did was get rid of Grigson. That would be enough for me.

34 minutes ago, SteelDragon said:

What if they retain Grigson and hire Chud as HC? 

Wouldn't that be a press conference dud...

No replacement has selected, it's against NFL rules.

Rooney Rule.  Any head coaching vacancy must have at least one interview by a minority candidate.  Irsay could select a guy in his head and secretly talk to the guy and the guy say "Yes I want the job" but he's still gonna have to bring in a minority candidate for an interview before he can hire who he wants.

No one has gone to the Colts facility for an interview for the HC position.  

Therefore a new HC can not be hired.  

Also that's just not how it works.  NFL teams don't fire their head guy and hire a new one on the same day.  

This presser is probably just to tell us what we already know.  Pagano has been let go.  I guess the question is if Grigs was let go too.  I'm guessing he wasn't but I'd like him to be.  

37 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

If in fact Pags is gone, I would guarantee the bolded.

I think it's almost certain that he's gone.  It's possible Irsay could be announcing that he's letting go of Grigs as well but a 4pm press conference on Black Monday means the head coach has been fired.  Or I suppose technically they have declined to extend his contract.

27 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

With two QBs who had been here for less than a week.  I was really impressed with how they used both QBs and split things up to get the most bang for their buck.  Honestly if we had seen more coaching like we did yesterday at the start of the season we probably aren't having this conversation.

Pep doesn't have that in him.  I don't think much of Chuck, but if he made (allowed?) Chud the OC last year he would have had much more success.

A lot of diverse opinions, but let me ask you all if you agree about this:

The Coach (whomever he may be) should be in charge of the line up, player on field time, and discipline.  And no decent coach is going to want a job where he's being treated like Chuck (assuming what we've read is true).

After cooling down I came to realize that Grigson hasn't done too bad of a job with personnel and salary.  Not great, but no GM is going to hit with every FA and draft pick. 

I'd love to see both guys stay on with the provision that Chuck is in charge of field and Grigson is in charge of the office.

7 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

No replacement has selected, it's against NFL rules.

Rooney Rule.  Any head coaching vacancy must have at least one interview by a minority candidate.  Irsay could select a guy in his head and secretly talk to the guy and the guy say "Yes I want the job" but he's still gonna have to bring in a minority candidate for an interview before he can hire who he wants.

No one has gone to the Colts facility for an interview for the HC position.  

Therefore a new HC can not be hired.  

Also that's just not how it works.  NFL teams don't fire their head guy and hire a new one on the same day.  

This presser is probably just to tell us what we already know.  Pagano has been let go.  I guess the question is if Grigs was let go too.  I'm guessing he wasn't but I'd like him to be.  

what if it's a trade....hypothetically speaking, say he traded the saints for Payton, they get Pagano, who's still under contract until the end of the league year in March......then there wouldn't be said Rooney rule..............and no I dont want Payton, at all

22 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Imagine Pagano going to a place like San Francisco. They would likely welcome him with open arms and give him much more flexibility in decision making. He is fighting so hard to stay, and I admire that. However, he might be better off to get far away from Grigson.

Tomsula and then Chuck.  Wow

2 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

A lot of diverse opinions, but let me ask you all if you agree about this:

The Coach (whomever he may be) should be in charge of the line up, player on field time, and discipline.  And no decent coach is going to want a job where he's being treated like Chuck (assuming what we've read is true).

After cooling down I came to realize that Grigson hasn't done too bad of a job with personnel and salary.  Not great, but no GM is going to hit with every FA and draft pick. 

I'd love to see both guys stay on with the provision that Chuck is in charge of field and Grigson is in charge of the office.

I believe after Grigson is fired he should apply to be a coach in his next job. That is obviously what he really wants to do.

45 minutes ago, csmopar said:

what if it's a trade....hypothetically speaking, say he traded the saints for Payton, they get Pagano, who's still under contract until the end of the league year in March......then there wouldn't be said Rooney rule..............and no I dont want Payton, at all

Not sure what the rule is in that situation.  I suppose that the Rooney rule wouldn't apply then.

I doubt that the saints would be trading for Pagano and honestly if we give away draft picks to get Payton I'm going to be upset greatly.  I wouldn't want Payton if he where a free agent coach.  His teams have not been good for several years mostly because he's had a defense worse then the Colts.  

1 minute ago, Valpo2004 said:

I wouldn't want Payton if he where a free agent coach.  His teams have not been good for several years mostly because he's had a defense worse then the Colts.  

I don't even like Sean Payton. I cannot even stand to listen to him talk. It would be a horrible era for me.

2 minutes ago, Archangel said:

Iam confused I thought Chucks contract expired the minute after the Titans game, So how is he getting Fired 

I'm pretty sure it ends in March sometime, or whenever the new league year starts.  But either way, technically he wouldn't be getting fired, he just wouldn't be getting brought back as the coach. 

2 minutes ago, Vinatieri4 said:

All that link says is the meeting was scheduled for this Morning. Which we knew about last night, nothing about 4 P.M. I've searched everywhere for that, Colts.com would have that information by now I would think.. Right? 

I finally found it. You have to click on the video on the Colts section. There is a female reporter talking from the Colts press room. She says somewhere around 4PM.

10 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Not sure what the rule is in that situation.  I suppose that the Rooney rule wouldn't apply then.

I doubt that the saints would be trading for Pagano and honestly if we give away draft picks to get Payton I'm going to be upset greatly.  I wouldn't want Payton if he where a free agent coach.  His teams have not been good for several years mostly because he's had a defense worse then the Colts.  

I'm with you 110% there.  More of a hey, what if scenario..... and I could see the Saints wanting Chuck

1 hour ago, Jonathan24 said:

Chuck stays and Grigs become scout

He would or had been a terrible scout. For being an ex lineman he doesn't seem to know much about finding good lineman. If he did then Colts wouldn't have needed 29 different quarterbacks (sarcasm) this year. Irsay is getting ready to pay Luck 100+ million dollars, top priority to me would be finding some protection.

It still baffles me a bit how we got to this place.  So we are going to essentially get rid of Pagano and I assume Chud will follow,  reportedly Grigson stays, and that somehow makes us better?

So a big name floated is Sean Payton.  7-9 the last two years with the worst defense in the NFL.  How is that a better setup?  Gase?  I would take Pagano/Chud over Gase.

It seems to me the correct path is replace Grigson and Manusky.  Let Pagano actually coach the team.  If in a year he can't get it done, then replace him.

3 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

It still baffles me a bit how we got to this place.  So we are going to essentially get rid of Pagano and I assume Chud will follow,  reportedly Grigson stays, and that somehow makes us better?

So a big name floated is Sean Payton.  7-9 the last two years with the worst defense in the NFL.  How is that a better setup?  Gase?  I would take Pagano/Chud over Gase.

It seems to me the correct path is replace Grigson and Manusky.  Let Pagano actually coach the team.  If in a year he can't get it done, then replace him.

The problem with all of that is; you're too damn logical.

I guess it makes too much sense.

If we move on from Pagano and keep Grigson then we are doomed, and we deserve to spiral down into the abyss. 

4 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

You'd also have to send a pick for Payton and pay him 8 mil

6 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

This is my fear as well. I don't see too many who could be leaps and bounds better than Pagano at the moment. I know Saban is legendary, but isn't the SEC system a lot different compared to the NFL? To me, college football was and has been, about farming and recruiting systems. The NFL doesn't exactly have that... There's the draft and agencies, but no system for pulling and developing players from. Unless we count the practice squad?

I think that is the hardest thing about bringing in coaches from the college level. It's just such a different culture.

55 minutes ago, Vinatieri4 said:

I'm pretty sure it ends in March sometime, or whenever the new league year starts.  But either way, technically he wouldn't be getting fired, he just wouldn't be getting brought back as the coach. 

Actually probably technically would be now that I think about it.  If it doesn't end til March then the Colts arn't going to want to hang on to their old HC until March, so they would let him go 2 months short of the completion of the contract.

Think about it, they arn't gonna wait til March to hire a new HC and you can't have 2 HC's.