Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Say Matt Patricia or Josh McDaniels 1 more time

jshipp23

8 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

Colts need a proven coach who will have the players RESPECT...These are my top choices. ..                            1-Bill Cowher, will change the culture and bring the toughness we have been lacking for years...               2-John Gruden , will do wonders with Luck's progression. ...

3-Jim Harbaugh, would b my #1 choice and the perfect coach , but it's  a long shot he will leave Michigan...Throw 10 million a yr at him and gm and hc and u never know..........                                             4- Herm Edwards,  has had success without having a qb, give him Andrew Luck and see what he can do...I guarantee the players will run through a wall for him and be accountable. .He is my dark horse and possibly the best choice....           5- Hue Jackson, love his offensive philosophy,  get a good DC and he could very well turn us into a juggernaut. ...

The first three candidates you listed sound great. I'm not totally confident in Herm Edwards personally. I do like Hue Jackson.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colts need a proven coach who will have the players RESPECT...These are my top choices. ..                            1-Bill Cowher, will change the culture and bring the toughness we have been lacking for years...               2-John Gruden , will do wonders with Luck's progression. ...

3-Jim Harbaugh, would b my #1 choice and the perfect coach , but it's  a long shot he will leave Michigan...Throw 10 million a yr at him and gm and hc and u never know..........                                             4- Herm Edwards,  has had success without having a qb, give him Andrew Luck and see what he can do...I guarantee the players will run through a wall for him and be accountable. .He is my dark horse and possibly the best choice....           5- Hue Jackson, love his offensive philosophy,  get a good DC and he could very well turn us into a juggernaut. ...

Josh Mc Daniels....

I said it one more time...now what :P

No I don't want him as coach...

So Bad!

I don't buy into the notion that just because a team loses they are soft.  The Colts have shown signs of being as tough as any team.

I think pagano was a good coach for a team in transition.  I do think a new coach is needed to take them to the next level but not because the Colts are soft or any such nonsense just because I don't think Pagano is enough of a tactician to lead the team to continued success.

8 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't buy into the notion that just because a team loses they are soft.  The Colts have shown signs of being as tough as any team.

I think pagano was a good coach for a team in transition.  I do think a new coach is needed to take them to the next level but not because the Colts are soft or any such nonsense just because I don't think Pagano is enough of a tactician to lead the team to continued success.

You're probably right about that. Plenty of ways to defend Pagano, but if you asked me whether I think he can coach with the likes of Pete Carroll, Sean Payton, John Harbaugh, etc., even Mike Tomlin, I have to say no. Even Bruce Arians, for as much as I dislike his offensive play calling, tactically, he's proven to be better than Pagano (for instance, his first game taking over for Pagano, he deduced that we should go up tempo and let Luck run the show, and that decision paid dividends). Ron Rivera was a dud at first, but made a significant shift in his approach, and has since looked like a winning coach.

Pagano is probably better compared to guys like John Fox, Jason Garrett, Rex Ryan, Lovie Smith, Jeff Fisher, etc. Not bad coaches, but trend toward being too conservative and haven't adjusted to new trends in the NFL. Pagano at least showed some willingness to loosen up on fourth down and try to steal some possessions.

Oh well, I do think Pagano turned out to be good for the turnaround. Better than I thought he would be. 

12 minutes ago, Superman said:

You're probably right about that. Plenty of ways to defend Pagano, but if you asked me whether I think he can coach with the likes of Pete Carroll, Sean Payton, John Harbaugh, etc., even Mike Tomlin, I have to say no. Even Bruce Arians, for as much as I dislike his offensive play calling, tactically, he's proven to be better than Pagano (for instance, his first game taking over for Pagano, he deduced that we should go up tempo and let Luck run the show, and that decision paid dividends). Ron Rivera was a dud at first, but made a significant shift in his approach, and has since looked like a winning coach.

Pagano is probably better compared to guys like John Fox, Jason Garrett, Rex Ryan, Lovie Smith, Jeff Fisher, etc. Not bad coaches, but trend toward being too conservative and haven't adjusted to new trends in the NFL. Pagano at least showed some willingness to loosen up on fourth down and try to steal some possessions.

Oh well, I do think Pagano turned out to be good for the turnaround. Better than I thought he would be. 

I don't dislike Pagano at all.  And he has helped orchestrate some of the best comeback victories in Colts history.  I like him about as much as I did Jim Mora.  Good coach but has some flaws that I don't think he can overcome.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Really good post.        :thmup:

It'll probably get lost,  but wanted to let you know that I saw it,  I read it,  and I liked it!!      

I think Edwards and Cowher are enjoying retirement.

Meaning,  it's a younger person's game...   they've made their money,   and now they're making good money for doing simple, easy work -- giving their opinion.     Otherwise,  they don't have to do anything.    Coaching in the NFL is 24/7/365.

I think Gruden would jump back in, but only for the right team.    I think Indy would interest him,  but I'm not sure about all the conditions he'd want to come out of the broadcast booth where he is said to make a boat load of $$$$$!!      Serious bank.     I've read $5-6 Mill per....       I think he only comes back if he gets everything he wants.      Not sure if that's what we want.........

Oh,  and welcome back to my old friend,   JShipp!!

22 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Meaning,  it's a younger person's game...   they've made their money,   and now they're making good money for doing simple, easy work -- giving their opinion.     Otherwise,  they don't have to do anything.    Coaching in the NFL is 24/7/365.

I think Gruden would jump back in, but only for the right team.    I think Indy would interest him,  but I'm not sure about all the conditions he'd want to come out of the broadcast booth where he is said to make a boat load of $$$$$!!      Serious bank.     I've read $5-6 Mill per....       I think he only comes back if he gets everything he wants.      Not sure if that's what we want.........

You are one of my favorites ncf, I don't  always agree with you, but I agree a lot of the time...BTW espn 30 for 30 is great, good work man saw the one abt the Colorado qb who died of cancer, it was tremendous. ..

I think a very, very long shot, but an interesting combo would be Jim Harbaugh as coach with say over personnel and Peyton Manning brought in an administrative role similar to Elway in Denver.  Harbaugh is my #1 choice for coach for many reasons. He is a proven winner, he knows Luck, he is in the Colts Ring Of Honor, and he calls a good game.  He is not retreat who flamed out.  He is intense, but so was Lombardi and Shula.   And Peyton is a Colts legend who likely will be great at anything he does because of his commitment and intensity.

9 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I would nominate jim's brother john if he would get the boot from baltimore I know he would have that defense right

How would he get the defense right?  I like Harbaugh, but Ozzie has been the key to that team.  

23 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I agreed with you whole hardly until you mentioned Herm and Hue Jackson then you lost me. 

8 hours ago, lennymoore24 said:

I think a very, very long shot, but an interesting combo would be Jim Harbaugh as coach with say over personnel and Peyton Manning brought in an administrative role similar to Elway in Denver.  Harbaugh is my #1 choice for coach for many reasons. He is a proven winner, he knows Luck, he is in the Colts Ring Of Honor, and he calls a good game.  He is not retreat who flamed out.  He is intense, but so was Lombardi and Shula.   And Peyton is a Colts legend who likely will be great at anything he does because of his commitment and intensity.

I think Peyton will want to stay home and raise his son. 

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think the only reason a coach like Cowher would consider it, is not for the money but for the legacy.  This is a guy that built winning teams with guys like Kordell Stewart and Mike Tomzack(sp?) at the QB position.  With a QB like Luck and his previous success in Pittsburgh he would be thinking about becoming known as one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game.

On 12/22/2015 at 11:41 AM, CoachLite said:

Yes. You don't want a HC that has never failed, but one smart enough to learn from his mistakes. Gruden seems like "he gets it". What "it" is, is the important part.

Sorry.  I can't help but replay some of his never-ending TV commentary in my head. 

Neither one  of those guys are coming out. They would have by now.  But why would they? The are still involved in the sport, making good money, and no headaches.   I am not sure why people keep bringing these guys up. Gruden talks a "sexy " game, but he had a mediocre record at best.

23 hours ago, BOTT said:

How would he get the defense right?  I like Harbaugh, but Ozzie has been the key to that team.  

They have some great players but the have a much better scheme and their secondary isn't all that but the front 7 makes up for that and john knows how to coach them up

2 hours ago, VaAllDay757 said:

They have some great players but the have a much better scheme and their secondary isn't all that but the front 7 makes up for that and john knows how to coach them up

I'm not sure how you give that credit to Harbaugh.  He was more of a special teams coach than anything else before going to the Ravens.

10 hours ago, BOTT said:

I'm not sure how you give that credit to Harbaugh.  He was more of a special teams coach than anything else before going to the Ravens.

I guess you haven't watched baltimore that much....he didn't have the best coordinators.....caldwell, ozzie, chuck......who's suppose to get the credit then? Because that team is well coach by the head coach

18 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

I guess you haven't watched baltimore that much....he didn't have the best coordinators.....caldwell, ozzie, chuck......who's suppose to get the credit then? Because that team is well coach by the head coach

ok lol

On 12/22/2015 at 11:10 AM, jvan1973 said:

Most great players are terrible coaches

Yea I was going to say, if Peyton is supposedly such a good coach, why was Curtis Painter so atrocious? Jim Sorgi wasn't much better. I know he wasn't paid to coach, but did he seriously not have anything to offer those players?