Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We Draft Luck..and We Tell Him What?

When we draft Andrew Luck, we will not know for sure If Peyton Manning is healthy.

..and there's a limit to what we pay him......

So when you interview Luck...what do you tell him?

You are Jim Irsay. You've got a nice office with a fine secretary, stereo..Cushy couch. TV.

Nice blue rug.

You call Andrew Luck in and sit him down...knowing that at any minute he can say ,

"Mr. Irsay. You have a great quarterback. I've met Peyton Manning. My dad knows his dad. I'd rather you did NOT draft me. I dont want to sit on the bench very long and I'd have to sit behind Peyton.. You understand."

Your mission (if you choose to accept it) is to right then and there convince him to sign with the Colts, knowing he could sit on the bench for 4 years...

What's your offer?. What can you do for him that makes it Okay if he has to sit.?

You turn the stereo off, take off that $1,000 'Mr. Moneybags' suit coat you always seem to be wearing, look him straight in the eye.

..and say what?

What do you tell him?

When we draft Andrew Luck, we will not know for sure If Peyton Manning is healthy.

..and there's a limit to what we pay him......

So when you interview Luck...what do you tell him?

You are Jim Irsay. You've got a nice office with a fine secretary, stereo..Cushy couch. TV.

Nice blue rug.

You call Andrew Luck in and sit him down...knowing that at any minute he can say ,

"Mr. Irsay. You have a great quarterback. I've met Peyton Manning. My dad knows his dad. I'd rather you did NOT draft me. I dont want to sit on the bench very long and I'd have to sit behind Peyton.. You understand."

Your mission (if you choose to accept it) is to right then and there convince him to sign with the Colts, knowing he could sit on the bench for 4 years...

What's your offer?. What can you do for him that makes it Okay if he has to sit.?

You turn the stereo off, take off that $1,000 'Mr. Moneybags' suit coat you always seem to be wearing, look him straight in the eye.

..and say what?

What do you tell him?

1) We ARE drafting you (because if Irsay's not allowed to talk to him if he hasn't declared).

2) No one knows when you could start because no one knows where Peyton is at.

You tell him "Don't Worry Son we aren't incompetent we plan to send you to the highest bidder where their owner and fan base will dote on you, in exchange we are going to get a ton of draft picks that will allow our club to releoad. It is a win/win son, best of luck to you except when you play us now keep it tight lipped and we will update you as soon as we know soemthing for certain".

You tell him, " Listen you little ", This is the dream of a life time! I will not trade you anywhere else. Sit tight, learn how to be a proffesional QB without getting your brains beat out. This can go easy or badly. You can not sighn the contract and sit out a couple of years for nothing, then get traded to Cleveland. Or, you can play ball and be a one team player and make a boatload of money.

You tell him, " Listen you little ", This is the dream of a life time! I will not trade you anywhere else. Sit tight, learn how to be a proffesional QB without getting your brains beat out. This can go easy or badly. You can not sighn the contract and sit out a couple of years for nothing, then get traded to Cleveland. Or, you can play ball and be a one team player and make a boatload of money.

Good answers. I bet 'JI' sees this..

Definetly some 'Good Cop" 'Bad Cop' here.. :applause:

I would say something along the lines of :

"Listen here, buddy. You're a rookie. You haven't done anything in this league. You can't tell me what to do. You would be nuts not to want to learn from Peyton Manning. He is arguably the greatest QB to ever play the game and people are comparing you to him. He is the most cerebral QB and he knows tons. Learning from him would be a blessing. Favre didn't mentor Rodgers because Favre was selfish and an egomaniac. Manning is a team-first kind of guy and if you ask him questions, he will be willing to help. We are going to take you. We would pay you to sit on our bench anyway, so if you want to hold out, I couldn't care less"

Something like that. Probably said in a nicer way though

Do you really think he is going to sit here like a good little boy for two or three years. If so, why should he? Not one single athlete with his talent in any sport would do that. Why should he?

Do you really think he is going to sit here like a good little boy for two or three years. If so, why should he? Not one single athlete with his talent in any sport would do that. Why should he?

Steve Young did it. He didn't like it, but he did it.

Really, what is Luck going to do? Decide not to get paid because he can't start right away and go sit on his couch?

If he does that, he won't be playing anyway, and he won't be getting paid, and he won't have spent anytime getting ready to play in the NFL. For all the talk about "wasting years of his career," the real waste would be his only alternative which is to sit out.

First, and I've been saying his for a while, if we draft Luck there needs to a be set transitionary period in place. That is if Peyton comes back healthy enough to play. We should know this BEFORE the draft. The March 8 deadline is before the draft and Irsay will pay the money if the doctors and Peyton feel he's healthy enough. The biggest question to Peyton's health at that point is, how long can he withstand full contact. Since the longevity of his remaining career is in question, I don't think you tell Luck, "well you will ride the bench until Peyton just can't play anymore." 1 or 2 years of that would be fine, but 3 or 4 is pushing it.

That is why I believe, if possible, the Colts should restructure Peyton's contract to 2 years. Tell Luck that he's sitting for at most 2 seasons, and he will get as much playing time as is feasible. Ie. preseason games and regular season games with a large margin of victory. After that 2 years Luck becomes the "guy" and Manning is released in order to do whatever he wants. Its not a fairy tale ending, but IMHO its one that trys to balance out whats best for Peyton personally/health wise, whats best for the short and long term quality of the franchise, and whats best for Luck's NFL career

Really, what is Luck going to do? Decide not to get paid because he can't start right away and go sit on his couch?

If he does that, he won't be playing anyway, and he won't be getting paid, and he won't have spent anytime getting ready to play in the NFL. For all the talk about "wasting years of his career," the real waste would be his only alternative which is to sit out.

Yes, but that was a different era. You seem fairly football saavy, you know he will not sit anywhere for over a preseason. Sorry but it just does'nt happen anymore. I will bet you any amount of money,that with a cleared to play Manning this year, they are both not on this team in 2012.

Yes, but that was a different era. You seem fairly football saavy, you know he will not sit anywhere for over a preseason. Sorry but it just does'nt happen anymore. I will bet you any amount of money,that with a cleared to play Manning this year, they are both not on this team in 2012.

Why wouldn't he sit?

Plenty of first round QBs this season had planned to sit until injuries or other issues forced them into starting roles. The reason that most of the time a QB drafted first overall starts is because the team drafting him has no real other option at QB. Which is why they are drafting first overall in the first place. That isn't the case here (assuming Manning's healthy of course)

The precedent is that if you have an aging, established QB, and draft the heir apparent, the established QB starts until it becomes apparent that the successor is the better option or established QB retires.

Not to mention, that NOT being thrown to the wolves and being given the time needed to learn how to be an NFL QB might be the best possible scenario for Andrew Luck. Not to mention that he has the model on what it takes to be an NFL QB staring him in the face every morning in meetings. Even if Manning wants nothing to do with Luck (which I doubt, but lets assume) that doesn't mean Luck can't learn from his example.

Andrew, look I know you want to play right away. But just a few things for you to think about:

1) We have had a very long tradition of winning football games here and we are committed to doing that. Sure, this year was bad, but it was a speed bump. So in coming here you know we are committed to winning.

2) We also are a passing team. We have a tradition of bringing in play makers and that will continue. So you will definitely get to throw the ball quite a bit to quality receivers. We will have more balance with running, but we are a pass first team.

3) We drafted two tackles last year, and we are committed to building a good run and pass blocking offensive line.

4) If you sit here for 2-3, you will get a chance to learn from the greatest QB of all time on how to prepare. You won't have to go through the rookie year of being pounded. Look at Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay versus David Carr coming into the Texans. Since you are a junior, at least you gain a year in that area.

5) If we don't take you or we trade you to a team like the Browns or Redskins, you see the disfunction that has gone on there. Head coaches changing every few years, owner getting involved, not a lot of talent. Do you really want to put yourself through that? Here, we have a solid owner, a solid structure, and a proven track record.

Andrew, look I know you want to play right away. But just a few things for you to think about:

1) We have had a very long tradition of winning football games here and we are committed to doing that. Sure, this year was bad, but it was a speed bump. So in coming here you know we are committed to winning.

2) We also are a passing team. We have a tradition of bringing in play makers and that will continue. So you will definitely get to throw the ball quite a bit to quality receivers. We will have more balance with running, but we are a pass first team.

3) We drafted two tackles last year, and we are committed to building a good run and pass blocking offensive line.

4) If you sit here for 2-3, you will get a chance to learn from the greatest QB of all time on how to prepare. You won't have to go through the rookie year of being pounded. Look at Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay versus David Carr coming into the Texans. Since you are a junior, at least you gain a year in that area.

5) If we don't take you or we trade you to a team like the Browns or Redskins, you see the disfunction that has gone on there. Head coaches changing every few years, owner getting involved, not a lot of talent. Do you really want to put yourself through that? Here, we have a solid owner, a solid structure, and a proven track record.

That's good, UWS..

Put it on his mind.

Cleveland = Pain

Your NFL career is a marathon not a sprint, you're going to play thousands of snaps for the Colts, you'll be the center piece of our team, we're going to treat you just like we did Peyton and the team will be built completely around you. There is no other team where you'll have as much control/input/support as a QB as you will here in Indy (the history of the last 15 years with Peyton proves that point) and finally when you get to the end of your career we'll give you the respect you deserve just as we are doing now with Peyton.

Irsay: "Hold on Andrew....I need to make phone call."

TEN MINUTES LATER......

Irsay: "Okay Andrew....that was Mike Holmgren....we just traded the #1 pick to Cleveland for CB Joe Haden, DT Phil Taylor, both of the Browns 1st round picks and their 2nd round pick this year. Smile, your gonna be a Brown!!! And hey.....check out the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame up there in Cleveland...it might be the only Hall of Fame you ever see. Thanks kid".

This.

Cmon guys. If Luck doesn't want to be here then we don't draft him. The worst thing for the Colts would be to draft him, pay him, have him sit for 3 or 4 years and then watch him run like a bat out of heck the first chance he got. QB's are so prized that he will get a chance to start (and get big $) at many teams at that point. And what will we have left for drafting #1 overall? absolutely nothing!

I will agree to disagree, Andrew Luck will be an opening day starter for somebody,bank on it.

Perfect answer!

You make a good point.

Stand on the sidelines with a clipboard making millions or sit on your couch eating Doritos.

Umm well first of all, I am POSITIVE Luck will NOT be sitting for no 4 years! At most he sits for 1 year. I dont think he would have a huge issue with that and then we trade Manning after having a rebound season upping his trade value.

If there is healthy Peyton; Andrew will sit not only 2012, but also '13, '14, and maybe '15.

Whats going to happen when Andrew's Dad gets involved and tells his son your not going to a team where your not guaranteed to start immediately? What then because this could be the discussion that is taking place between father and son right now. I think in his last interview he mentioned that he was going home and his father would keep him doing everything he needed to get done, agents and etc. Would like to be a fly on the wall in that household right now for sure. I only hope Oliver keeps Archie out of this even though they are friends since Archie's son is also involved with this in a big way. Could be an interesting situation and I for one see some strange things happening pertaining to this years draft. :hide: Hope everything works out for everyone involved but until Peyton is declared not healthy enough to play in my eyes this is Peyton's team. JMO of course for those that want to attack my opinion.

He's a rookie and a smart kid, one of the smartest players in all of football. He'll be happy just to have a place on an NFL team. Just give him the whole playbook and tell him he's got 2 years to master it inside and out.