Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Oh Look.................

csmopar

Grigson has had good signings and bad ones as well.  I think his biggest strength has been acquiring FA talent, but his drafts have been below average.  I wouldn't have a problem keeping Grigson as the GM, if he wasn't such a pain to work with.

I don't care how much everyone denies it, with multiple local journalists, national media and former co-workers at the Eagles talking about how difficult he is to work with, this will cause problems.  Anyone that denies there isn't a problem, either have their head in the sand, or just don't want to believe it.  My biggest concern is Pagano will be leaving after this season.  Are there better head coaches out there?  Of course, but are there better head coaches that want to work with Grigson?  Judging from what I have heard about his personality, Grigson will probably want to bring a yes man.  Much like Caldwell under Polian.  Yes men, usually aren't good head coaches, as they don't earn enough respect to control the locker room.   

But some could say, well Irsay can bring in a quality head coach.  Yep, and don't be surprised if him and Grigson butt heads and we have the same problem as the present. 

Shhhhhhhhhh people on this board don't like anything pro grigson, they think everyone he has ever signed/drafted is just like Trent Richardson

He has made a few good moves, but the bad definitely outweigh the good.  You can't count Luck as a good pick either.  That was a gimme!  However I will give him  a lot of credit for Vontae, Langord, TY, Frank Gore and some credit for Fleener, Allen, Walden (to some extent), Mewhort, Moncrief, Henry Anderson, David Parry.   Perhaps I'm missing a couple, but there were colossal failures: Pepto "Abysmal" Hamilton, Richardson, Werner, Landry, Cherilus, RJF, and other bad moves like Andre Johnson, Hakeem Nicks, Toler, DHB.  Sure there might be a few on each side I'm missing, but I got the majority.  As a GM youre expected to hit big every once in awhile, and not strikeout many times, while having good pickups regularly.  Grigson has hit big every once in awhile, but has struck out ALOT while making good pickups occasionally.  He should be in DEEP HOT water for Lucks injuries, and solely responsible because he dictated personnel and the OC.   

So if anybody else deserves to be fired, Grigson should be next, not Pagano!

His bad signings & draft outweigh the good IMO. Don't even use Andrew Luck as an example because that was a gimme. Ill ust laugh.

Ok....I'm not a grigson fan, I would shed no tear if he's canned at the season's end..

However:

TY hilton:

Fleener

Allen 

Vontae

Langford

Anderson

Parry

Butler

Walden

Moncrief

Matt H.(who's gonna carry this team in these hard times)

Gore

Bradshaw

Adams

Lowry

Those are all KEY peices to the success the team has had over the last 3 years.   All grigson doing...so yeah, I don't think it's accurate to say his bad signings out way the good ones.  No GM ever hits on 100%...Not even Hoodie or Polian.

Grigson has had good signings and bad ones as well.  I think his biggest strength has been acquiring FA talent, but his drafts have been below average.  I wouldn't have a problem keeping Grigson as the GM, if he wasn't such a pain to work with.

I don't care how much everyone denies it, with multiple local journalists, national media and former co-workers at the Eagles talking about how difficult he is to work with, this will cause problems.  Anyone that denies there isn't a problem, either have their head in the sand, or just don't want to believe it.  My biggest concern is Pagano will be leaving after this season.  Are there better head coaches out there?  Of course, but are there better head coaches that want to work with Grigson?  Judging from what I have heard about his personality, Grigson will probably want to bring a yes man.  Much like Caldwell under Polian.  Yes men, usually aren't good head coaches, as they don't earn enough respect to control the locker room.   

But some could say, well Irsay can bring in a quality head coach.  Yep, and don't be surprised if him and Grigson butt heads and we have the same problem as the present. 

I think hes' been pretty good in the mid-late rounds.  At least better than average.  It's been his 1st round picks that have been baffling.  Whatever your opinions are on Dorsett (we'll see), there's no question he's whiffed on both our 2013 and 2014 1st round picks.  That's the kind of thing that can really set a team back, and it has in our case.

I thought the 2013 draft was terrible, even though Holmes and Thornton are starting(and those guys were 3rd/4th round picks).  He has made some decent picks middle of the draft, Moncrief obviously a good one and Anderson/Parry have been very good this year.  

But as you said, minus the obvious with Luck, his first round picks have been awful.  The first/second round is where half of the league's starters come from and there is a reason for that.  It's nice to get guys under the radar, but the early rounds are the most important, and most GMs that can't hit those don't stick around for too long.  

Ok....I'm not a grigson fan, I would shed no tear if he's canned at the season's end..

However:

TY hilton:

Fleener

Allen 

Vontae

Langford

Anderson

Parry

Butler

Walden

Moncrief

Matt H.(who's gonna carry this team in these hard times)

Gore

Bradshaw

Adams

Lowry

Those are all KEY peices to the success the team has had over the last 3 years.   All grigson doing...so yeah, I don't think it's accurate to say his bad signings out way the good ones.  No GM ever hits on 100%...Not even Hoodie or Polian.

Also throw in Mewhort who's been very solid

Thornton is finally coming around

I'd even throw in DQ who's been solid---good against the run (pass D is a different story)

Freeman when fully healthy is good

Cherilus was very good before the injuries

I think people are too hung up on the T Rich trade and the Landry signing (both turned out horribly)

but one thing that you can't argue is that the contracts were all team friendly and allowed the team to get out of them if they didn't work out.

Now he might be a complete and total knob to work with and a control freak and shoudln't be meddling in the game day rosters, who to play etc but he's not the complete disaster some think he is...things could be sooo much worse...there could be a Matt Millen type as the GM

Not much of a Grigs fan but it's more due to his meddling style than anything else.  Yes he misses on T-Rich but he's hit on a lot too.  Just don't care for his style.  But nice to see Langford doing so well.  Was excited to see him coming into the season and he hasn't done anything to quell that excitement so far.  Very good player.

The next few games (even with Hasselbeck starting) will tell us whether or nor Pep was the problem.  We just beat the team with the number one defense.  Took the Panthers to OT.  Led NE at the half.  Yeah, we got off on the wrong foot with NY and Buffalo (2 more good defenses).  Laid an egg with New Orleans.  I can't think of a team  more battle tested than us right now.  We are hardened, sharpened, and ready to inflict damage.  My fear is getting soft again playing a soft schedule the last 7 weeks of the season.  Chud wasn't available when Pep was hired and its hard to fire a guy when the team just went to the championship.  So, Grigs hands were tied on that one.  He hasn't really drafted defense heavily in any draft with early picks (except Werner) and he hasn't been that great.  He did draft Anderson and Parry and cut Hughes and Chapman.  If its true he is making lineup decisions, he needs to stop or at least consult with the coaches and they can make decisions together.  I'd rather have a guy like Grigs who makes noise and strikes out sometimes in free agency than Polian, who just sits in the background and does nothing.

I like what the team showed against Denver and I liked what Hasselbeck showed against Houston.  He was playing at about 30% after being in the hospital for a couple days.  I'm not worried.  Just hoping our run D doesn't suffer a noticeable setback due to loss of Anderson.  I wish he would draft D in the 1st few rounds (speed rushers and good cover corner), but he'll probably go offensive line so he doesn't get crucified next year if and when Luck goes down again.  Definitely need more depth at guard and tackle.  If one of our starters goes down, we have Herremans and Louis - ugh.

He has made a few good moves, but the bad definitely outweigh the good. You can't count Luck as a good pick either. That was a gimme! However I will give him a lot of credit for Vontae, Langord, TY, Frank Gore and some credit for Fleener, Allen, Walden (to some extent), Mewhort, Moncrief, Henry Anderson, David Parry. Perhaps I'm missing a couple, but there were colossal failures: Pepto "Abysmal" Hamilton, Richardson, Werner, Landry, Cherilus, RJF, and other bad moves like Andre Johnson, Hakeem Nicks, Toler, DHB. Sure there might be a few on each side I'm missing, but I got the majority. As a GM youre expected to hit big every once in awhile, and not strikeout many times, while having good pickups regularly. Grigson has hit big every once in awhile, but has struck out ALOT while making good pickups occasionally. He should be in DEEP HOT water for Lucks injuries, and solely responsible because he dictated personnel and the OC.

So if anybody else deserves to be fired, Grigson should be next, not Pagano!

first off I'll address toler, last year he was pretty good, vontae davis level absolutely not, we had one of the better corner back trios with butler (one of the better nickel corners in the league but you forgot to mention). Toler came in hurt to start the season and showing flashes of what he did last year and had some very nice plays last game. I HATED pep as soon as he got here but he was still a no brainer to pick up I mean why wouldn't you bring in a OC that already had chemistry with a second year quarter back? Do you remember what led up to the colts picking up the number 3 overall pick in the 2012 draft? He also had a decent looking rookie season and if you go back and look at his college play you'll see why he was taken number 3 overall. Werner is a product of picking position over bpa and he's proved this year to be a solid edge setter and run stopper. Landry came off a pro bowl year and we had a decent amount of cap space why not pick him up? Cherilus at times played decent but I agree we payed too much for him. Rjf was very servicible especially since we had lost Robert Mathis last year. Hakeem nicks and dhb were signed too low cost prove it contracts so how in the world do those count as bad moves especially since there both playing elsewhere. I know fans like you think gms have crystal balls to tell them what the future holds and who's going to pan out and who won't but that's just not the way it works out sorry to ruin it for you. Set yourself back in time to where the colts where at the time of each pick up and tell me you wouldn't bring some of them in. P.s the debate is still out on andre right now he's had some bad games but he's had some good games.

The main issue with Grigson is the reported interference with the coaching.  If he just sticks to being GM, and allow Pagano to be HC, the problems will work themselves out.  The only real area I see that he has fallen short in is providing an O-line worthy of a franchise QB

oline and elite pass rusher

It is hard to get excited by a resource that needs to BRAG about who invested in them (as if former NFL players are amazing investors and thus must be lauded for it since there are many examples of NFL players losing everything investing in ridiculous things).  It looks sort of desperate to be taken seriously.  I am not saying they are good or bad, but that their approach is a PR mistake in a big way.  

Now as for the Big Cat, he's played well.  I am curious to know where he ranks season long.  We're still not great against the run or anything as a defense as a whole.  I'd hope that some of Grigson's decisions would work out, and enough have, otherwise he'd have been fired long ago.  The question for me is who is at fault for the failure this year?  Nobody.. then no one else gets fired. Pep Hamilton?  Then we're good to go.  Pagano?  Then we have to clean house and start over.  Grigson?  Fire him and fix the problems but now it is far less disruptive to the team.  

It is hard to get excited by a resource that needs to BRAG about who invested in them (as if former NFL players are amazing investors and thus must be lauded for it since there are many examples of NFL players losing everything investing in ridiculous things).  It looks sort of desperate to be taken seriously.  I am not saying they are good or bad, but that their approach is a PR mistake in a big way.  

Now as for the Big Cat, he's played well.  I am curious to know where he ranks season long.  We're still not great against the run or anything as a defense as a whole.  I'd hope that some of Grigson's decisions would work out, and enough have, otherwise he'd have been fired long ago.  The question for me is who is at fault for the failure this year?  Nobody.. then no one else gets fired. Pep Hamilton?  Then we're good to go.  Pagano?  Then we have to clean house and start over.  Grigson?  Fire him and fix the problems but now it is far less disruptive to the team.

Thought the Colts have looked pretty good against the run this year. Even with the offense killing them most of the time.

first off I'll address toler, last year he was pretty good, vontae davis level absolutely not, we had one of the better corner back trios with butler (one of the better nickel corners in the league but you forgot to mention). Toler came in hurt to start the season and showing flashes of what he did last year and had some very nice plays last game. I HATED pep as soon as he got here but he was still a no brainer to pick up I mean why wouldn't you bring in a OC that already had chemistry with a second year quarter back? Do you remember what led up to the colts picking up the number 3 overall pick in the 2012 draft? He also had a decent looking rookie season and if you go back and look at his college play you'll see why he was taken number 3 overall. Werner is a product of picking position over bpa and he's proved this year to be a solid edge setter and run stopper. Landry came off a pro bowl year and we had a decent amount of cap space why not pick him up? Cherilus at times played decent but I agree we payed too much for him. Rjf was very servicible especially since we had lost Robert Mathis last year. Hakeem nicks and dhb were signed too low cost prove it contracts so how in the world do those count as bad moves especially since there both playing elsewhere. I know fans like you think gms have crystal balls to tell them what the future holds and who's going to pan out and who won't but that's just not the way it works out sorry to ruin it for you. Set yourself back in time to where the colts where at the time of each pick up and tell me you wouldn't bring some of them in. P.s the debate is still out on andre right now he's had some bad games but he's had some good games.

I understand where you're coming from, and definitely agree with WHY all of those moves occurred, but with every action, there is a REaction.  All of those decisions were justifiable at that point in time, or else the move would've been made in the first place!  Look at the other side of the equation though!  This is the NFL (not your average do your best job).  It is a put up or shut up environment.  Either get the job done, or next man up mentality.  Whether it is coaches, GM's, or players!  With the talent on this squad we SHOULD NOT be anything less that SB winners at this point.  Granted only 1 team can do that, but that is the mindframe everybody has in the NFL (the good teams anyway).  So don't be confused that their situation is the same as the guy working a McDonalds cash register, or even the Administrative Assistant in your local accounting firm.  They're held to higher standards as well as they should be, because "That's why they get paid the big bucks"!  Like I said, it's put up or shut up!  Excuses aside (even though they might come from reasonable circumstances) "because they didn't pan out, how things happened before they were brought in" is not acceptable.'

Perhaps you think I'm being harsh, and I agree I am, but don't kid yourself, it's a big boy league, and that's the real world of the NFL.  Very talented players don't even get opportunities because they aren't in the right place at the right time and get overlooked.  Sometimes life isn't fair, but that's the way the world goes round...

I don't find Grigson's drafting or FA signing, my grip with Grigson is his control freak nature the media has reported.

I think the reports are probably true as well. What I find funny is how many are insanely distrusting and hateful towards the media, but take these reports as gospel.