Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rumor: Dwayne Allen on the trade block

RockThatBlue

Allen is hands down our best TE.  To me Fleener only has him in speed.  But as far as hands, blocking and route running goes Allen is superior in all those elements than Fleener.  This wouldn't be that big of a blow to us this year b/c we aren't using him/he's been hurt but going forward we would miss him greatly.

actually....Allen has missed a few key blocks this season ....so I can't agree with that.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Allen is hands down our best TE.  To me Fleener only has him in speed.  But as far as hands, blocking and route running goes Allen is superior in all those elements than Fleener.  This wouldn't be that big of a blow to us this year b/c we aren't using him/he's been hurt but going forward we would miss him greatly.

You cant miss someone who isnt on the field, He just cant stay healthy. 

I wonder what we could even get for him though. I agree he's not healthy/used in our offense enough, but is what we get for him even gonna be worth it?

No, it won't be worth it. This team has driven Allen's value into the ground. The smart thing to do would be to get someone in here who knows how to utilize weapons like Allen. But it's too little too late for that now. Allen will be gone at the end of the year. He will likely flourish where ever he goes and we will just be left thinking what could have been. Crying shame.

And Allen is far from the only one being screwed by this offensive scam... er... scheme.

actually....Allen has missed a few key blocks this season ....so I can't agree with that.

Has Fleener made any key blocks that you can remember this season?  Doyle is the best blocking TE we have but he is not used enough in the passing game to compare him to Fleener or Allen as far as a complete TE goes.

This sucks I was hoping he'd be here with the new coaching staff that would actually use him :(

Likewise.  Instead of pushing the envelope and going down field the entire game, west coast this offense up with Hilton, Moncrief, Allen, Fleener all on the field at once next year.  

Has Fleener made any key blocks that you can remember this season?  Doyle is the best blocking TE we have but he is not used enough in the passing game to compare him to Fleener or Allen as far as a complete TE goes.

Has he missed some, sure, all of them have, Allen doesn't even try to jump for the ball, he just stands there looking dumb. I will not shed a single tear if he goes. we dont need him

Has he missed some, sure, all of them have, Allen doesn't even try to jump for the ball, he just stands there looking dumb. I will not shed a single tear if he goes. we dont need him

What?

We do need him. We need him in a semi respectable system with a coordinator with some knowledge.

I hope we don't use a pick on a tight end next year.

I'd like another draft like this years....    one high pick on offense (a lineman)   and the rest through the 5th round (we've traded our 6th) to be used on defense,  defense, and more defense.

We have tons of defensive needs.  

Perhaps we can grab a tight end in free agency....

Take the best player available at a position of need. If we become a team that reaches for need then we will have big problems. 

There are times a team gets desperate and needs a position so badly that it reaches leaving great players on the board. 

So there needs to be a balance. 

If a Shannon Sharpe is sitting there in the 7th round and we pass, then it's our fault.

I'm not the only one who's noticed it. Hell, they were just discussing it on 1070 this morning

He's been targeted 14 times all season and has caught 9. Not once do I recall him looking "dumb" and not going for the ball.

Last night he was targeted 3 times with 1 reception, a terrible pass, and he was mauled on the corner route. Was that his fault?

When we were good (the last 3 years) who was our biggest red zone threat?  Did he have to jump to get wide open in the end zone and catch TDs?  Jump balls are cool but if you get open it's not even needed.  He got open vs. the safety last night and got tango danced into the end zone with no flag called.  He was open, but mauled.  So you need to jump ball, why?

I don't think he's the athletic/basketball type of TE who's a jump ball guy.  I've never seen Gronk in many if any jump ball situations.  If you can get open that is irrelevant.

Take the best player available at a position of need. If we become a team that reaches for need then we will have big problems. 

There are times a team gets desperate and needs a position so badly that it reaches leaving great players on the board. 

So there needs to be a balance. 

If a Shannon Sharpe is sitting there in the 7th round and we pass, then it's our fault.

I have no problem using our 7th round pick on a tight end.

But we have more pressing needs in the first five rounds on defense,  and on the offensive line.

I understand the dilemma between drafting best player available and drafting for need.    And there are exceptions to be made,  Moncrief is a good example.

But we've ignored too many areas of need for too long.    If we want to get better at some point we have to make a commitment to those areas (O-line and defense)

Just a different perspective....

When we were good (the last 3 years) who was our biggest red zone threat?  Did he have to jump to get wide open in the end zone and catch TDs?  Jump balls are cool but if you get open it's not even needed.  He got open vs. the safety last night and got tango danced into the end zone with no flag called.  He was open, but mauled.  So you need to jump ball, why?

I don't think he's the athletic/basketball type of TE who's a jump ball guy.  I've never seen Gronk in many if any jump ball situations.  If you can get open that is irrelevant.

Very true.

That's more of an indictment on a qb who can't throw to him while he's standing still.

And considering we have Denver up next, it would be the perfect game for him & Coby to plays huge factors since their CBs in all likelihood are gonna give our WRs all they can handle & then some, but we all know that ain't gonna happen.

When we were good (the last 3 years) who was our biggest red zone threat? Did he have to jump to get wide open in the end zone and catch TDs? Jump balls are cool but if you get open it's not even needed. He got open vs. the safety last night and got tango danced into the end zone with no flag called. He was open, but mauled. So you need to jump ball, why?

I don't think he's the athletic/basketball type of TE who's a jump ball guy. I've never seen Gronk in many if any jump ball situations. If you can get open that is irrelevant.

Good post, though, I will add, Dwayne Allen is a very good jump ball guy. If you watch his college highlights you'll see an athletic TE who often used his jump ball skills very well.

I have no problem using our 7th round pick on a tight end.

But we have more pressing needs in the first five rounds on defense,  and on the offensive line.

I understand the dilemma between drafting best player available and drafting for need.    And there are exceptions to be made,  Moncrief is a good example.

But we've ignored too many areas of need for too long.    If we want to get better at some point we have to make a commitment to those areas (O-line and defense)

Just a different perspective....

I think we mostly agree.

I thought we were in a position to reach for an OL in the first and second rounds this year. Sometimes a team just gets in a bad spot. Like we did back when we reached for Ugoh because Glenn retired. 

They should have tried trading him earlier. Arizona or Atlanta would have been interested.

I wonder what he'll go for on the open market since he probably won't be re-signed? He has very little production in his 4 years in the league. I could see him getting a 1 year $3 million prove it deal.

I think we mostly agree.

I thought we were in a position to reach for an OL in the first and second rounds this year. Sometimes a team just gets in a bad spot. Like we did back when we reached for Ugoh because Glenn retired. 

Polian didn't reach for Ugoh because Glenn retired.  Glenn didn't retire until after the draft and before training camp.  Ugoh was meant to be groomed for a year before becoming the starter, but Glenn's surprise retirement just before training camp forced them to put Ugoh into the starting lineup his rookie year.

Polian didn't reach for Ugoh because Glenn retired.  Glenn didn't retire until after the draft and before training camp.  Ugoh was meant to be groomed for a year before becoming the starter, but Glenn's surprise retirement just before training camp forced them to put Ugoh into the starting lineup his rookie year.

Glenn told the Colts he might retire after we won the Super Bowl, so Polian drafted Ugoh.

Allen is expendable. Get something good and I wouldn't be mad.

If we got a solid offensive linemen back I'd be good with it.  He and Fleener will not both be back with us next year anyway.  Might as well get something good for him if we are able to.  Colts never utilized him nearly enough anyway. 

If we got a solid offensive linemen back I'd be good with it. He and Fleener will not both be back with us next year anyway. Might as well get something good for him if we are able to. Colts never utilized him nearly enough anyway.

The trade deadline has passed. Chud Knows TEs. This could be huge for DA and Fleener.

Glenn told the Colts he might retire after we won the Super Bowl, so Polian drafted Ugoh.

I remember it differently.  I remember him telling them he was going to play out the final year of his contract and then retire.  He made it clear he wasn't going to sign a new contract nor an extension, but he said he would play out that existing contract, which would have been Ugoh's rookie year.  Yes, they drafted Ugoh to replace Glenn, but not until his 2nd year in the league, because they expected him to be able to learn and groom behind Glenn for that final year.  I remember it being a complete surprise that he changed his mind and decided to retire just before training camp started.