Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anthony Castanzo " I've been (expletive) terrible"

RockThatBlue

Not only Anthony is really good, but is playing bad. This team is really good. Really. Some guys are elite, some guys are good... and yes, some guys are average at best. It's impossible to field a team of elite guys only: expiring contracts, injuries, retirements, misses on draft picks and free agents. *It happens. But right now whole team is playing not as a sum of the parts. This team is playing bad. And they need help... badly.

And you know how to fix it...a coach that takes no prisoners

Yeah I know he's not okay with it, that's just my frustration poking out.

I'll respectfully disagree with you that he earned that contract we have him. It looks to me like we gave him a big contract for the same reasons the Raven paid Joe Flacco, not paying him and tryin to find someone else would be prohibitive, especially given our current line issues.

Nah, he's just a really good LT, and part of having a good team is paying your best players. No question in my mind that he earned his contract.

You remember incorrectly.  Glenn used to get quite a few holding calls, especially against speed rushers.

Funny thing is Glenn struggled with speed rushers until the Colts drafted Freeney,  I don't know if Freeney worked with Glenn or if Glenn just learned how to block speed rushers by going against an elite speed rusher in practice every day but it was the year after the Colts drafted Freeney that Glenn went to his first pro-bowl and a big reason for that is because Glenn no longer struggled with speed rushers.

AC is suffering from that this year, IMO.  The Colts don't have a pass rush, especially not like he faced against NO.

You say that with (I remember incorrectly) a lot of conviction.According to Pro football reference .com. Costanzo has 5 in the first 7 games. The most Tarik ever had was 4 in an entire year. That number was in his rookie year (1997) and 2nd year also. 

Excuse me , he did have one terrible year in which he had 7. That was in 2004 .. Freeney's 3rd year in the league.

You say that with (I remember incorrectly) a lot of conviction.According to Pro football reference .com. Costanzo has 5 in the first 7 games. The most Tarik ever had was 4 in an entire year. That number was in his rookie year (1997) and 2nd year also. 

Excuse me , he did have one terrible year in which he had 7. That was in 2004 .. Freeney's 3rd year in the league.

So, his most ever was 4 except the year he had 7?  And that proves you remember correctly that he did not go through a time when he committed a lot of penalties and inopportune times?

I will say thanks though, I did not remember what year it was and I did not mean to indicate he quit holding when Freeney was drafted, only that he improved against speed rushers after Freeney was drafted.  Sorry for the confusion.

So, his most ever was 4 except the year he had 7?  And that proves you remember correctly that he did not go through a time when he committed a lot of penalties and inopportune times?

I will say thanks though, I did not remember what year it was and I did not mean to indicate he quit holding when Freeney was drafted, only that he improved against speed rushers after Freeney was drafted.  Sorry for the confusion.

No confusion , I just don't remember Glenn getting a lot of holding calls. Other than one year of his career , I don't see where the statistics prove me wrong. Nothing like the alarming Rate Castonzo is piling them up....

I'm not really convinced. The best I'd have given before the season is that he's average (although clearly our best linemen) but this year it appears he got his big contract and decided it's ok to just suck out loud.

He has been good. Imo exactly what you want out of an LT. Nit quite elite demanding top lt money strapping your cap, but good enough to be relied on to not get your an killed. Yeah he has had some terrible mental lapses. Mental errors are easy to fix in a short time. I trust him to right the ship before Luck does in all honesty.

I don't know who "we" is. I know that Luck and AC are better than they're playing right now. 

AL and AC are not just better than they're playing,   they're a LOT better.

And when you're getting such poor play (is terrible too strong a word?)  out of those two positions,  then you're offense isn't going anywhere.

That's not to say the problems are only on those two.....    they're not.    They could be joined by lots and lots of other players.    But considering the importance of QB and LT,   it's hard to overlook that.....

Just saying....

And when you're getting such poor play (is terrible too strong a word?)  out of those two positions,  then you're offense isn't going anywhere.

That's not to say the problems are only on those two.....    they're not.    They could be joined by lots and lots of other players.    But considering the importance of QB and LT,   it's hard to overlook that.....

Just saying....

AC= needs to be fired

Just saying....

I agree and IMO when you have great talent playing poorly, it comes down to one simple thing, poor coaching.  Too bad Howard Mudd and Tom Moore are retired, because I would bring them back in a heartbeat. 

In the midst of all this negativity and poor performances.  I absolutely love the accountability of the players and not deflecting the blame!  AC is good, but isn't playing that way at the moment.  As is Andrew Luck.  So the old saying goes, "When it rains, it pours".  It is what it is, but I certainly don't see that playing out for many more games, especially in future seasons.  It's good to see some of these Colts players expect more, and that's exactly why I think they WILL turn it on in a big way (Read my BOLD predictions thread)!  When things get rolling, they will be "A wrecking ball of butcher knives", as Chuck would say (or something like that)!

Round of applause for AC. Mad respect for a man who up and says exactly what the problem is without sugar coating it, especially if he's part of the problem. Which he is. Now can he fix it

He is certainly my kind of guy!  Usually the good guys don't make excuses because they know they're good.  Were all human and we go through slumps, bad days, but that doesn't define you.  It's how you bounce back, and you're overall track record.

Please, name a cornerstone LT taken in 2013 draft and later (pick #25 and later). Or cornerstone LT FA (without history of injuries just like Cherilus).

There are several LTs...maybe instead of trading first rd picks for RBs we could have packaged one for a LT perhaps or moved up in the draft. Maybe we draft Armstead who we just faced. Look I know Anthony has been great and LTs don't just grow on trees but I still think his natural position could be at RT if we could have found a LT to replace him instead of bringing in Gosdner and making him the highest paid RT in football. I'm perfectly fine with Anthony but that doesn't mean Jeff wasn't right that his best fit might not still be RT.  It's all mute because he is by far our best tackle and we aren't moving him but I was just bringing up the thoughts I've had since hearing Jeff talk about it several years ago.

No confusion , I just don't remember Glenn getting a lot of holding calls. Other than one year of his career , I don't see where the statistics prove me wrong. Nothing like the alarming Rate Castonzo is piling them up....

A few things, one I will bet that AC ends the season with 7 or 8 holding calls.

Two, I never said Glenn held at the rate AC has the last few games, only that Glenn had a couple of year span where he got a lot of penalties and inopportune times.  Then you mentioned you didn't remember the penalties being holding only false starts but that is incorrect he had a year, 2004 according to you, where he held quite a bit.

False starts were a big problem as well, it seemed like numerous times Glenn turned 3rd and short into 3rd and long.

A few things, one I will bet that AC ends the season with 7 or 8 holding calls.

Two, I never said Glenn held at the rate AC has the last few games, only that Glenn had a couple of year span where he got a lot of penalties and inopportune times.  Then you mentioned you didn't remember the penalties being holding only false starts but that is incorrect he had a year, 2004 according to you, where he held quite a bit.

False starts were a big problem as well, it seemed like numerous times Glenn turned 3rd and short into 3rd and long.

Just a play on words i guess. I took this to mean that Glenn was known to have a lot of holding calls , which I didn't remember to be the case. I remember a ton of false starts which his stats back up. But other than the one year , I don's where holding calls were predominant in his career. Not to say he didn't have some trouble with speed rushers. Even though he had great feet , he was about 380Lbs and that would make him somewhat vulnerable to smaller quicker guys. No doubt the false starts were somewhat related to this. Believe it or not my memory is pretty good. He knew when the snap count was coming always (at least many times) anticipated it perfectly or a mili second late.The Colt brass always contended that most of those false starts were errors by officials.

Where we have a little glitch is your statement below. I took it to mean he had a lot of holding calls throughout his career which I don't think was really the case.

"You remember incorrectly.  Glenn used to get quite a few holding calls, especially against speed rushers." 

AC was a very solid LT in 2013 and even better in 2014. His struggles this season, like Luck's, are a bit puzzling. AC drawing attention to his own worsened level of play is actually a pretty classy move, as the media is just going to hone in on Luck's struggles on the field (and the organizational/coaching staff turmoil of course).

We should just start calling Castonzo "the Matador." When he's not committing a drive killing holding penalty, he's just giving guys the "ole" treatment and letting them run right by him.

I sincerely hope he gets it corrected and starts to play like the Pro-Bowl LT we know him to be, but until then I'm gonna make fun of him. Maybe some of my finest Photoshop work to date.

post-16807-0-37515000-1446051175_thumb.j