Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano to blame for nonexistent run game late in the game

TKnight24

Pagano was doing what a HC is suppossed to be doing, giving his coordinator strategic direction.  He's not calling the plays, but telling his OC what the strategy should be.

During the TN game, I saw Pags go over to Pep and say "use the clock", meaning slow things up. 

If that's what he really told Pep, I think his strategy was wrong.  The shorter game stuff would have been more effective, IMO.

Hard to say with Pagano since he always throws himself under the bus rather than anyone else.  At that point we were down two TDs, so going up tempo was not a big deal anyway.  Had we gone away from it when it was close, then yes, that's a problem.  

With being down two scores I think that is what most coaches would do. But that don't fit into the mindset of firing someone. IMO the Colts played the patriots as good if not better than any team has all season. The Colts made enough mistakes not to win the game but they did have some outside help. The concept of a team in progress is beyond some peoples mind thought process.

That 1st drive was a thing of beauty, that's how you beat the Patriots. The same way teams used to beat Peyton when he was with the Colts. Keep them ( Manning, Brady) on the bench with long time consuming drives. I really thought the Colts were going to keep running the ball but nope, 26 consecutive passes at one point.. have to stay balanced   

That 1st drive was a thing of beauty, that's how you beat the Patriots. The same way teams used to beat Peyton when he was with the Colts. Keep them ( Manning, Brady) on the bench with long time consuming drives. I really thought the Colts were going to keep running the ball but nope, 26 consecutive passes at one point.. have to stay balanced

First half was awesome. Then...the second half happened.

First half was awesome. Then...the second half happened.

we can never have a solid game it's either we play bad in the first half and second half we play good or it's the first half its good and second half were bad..all coaching no adjustments every drive

Almost every Colts game it feels like they make it harder than it has to be. They find things that work and then get away from it on offense, then every week talk about it afterwards how they need to be more balanced or go to the check downs. The check down passes to Gore were working great, gained good yardage. Pick up 3-4-5 yards a play, keep the chains and clock moving. The Colts don't have a defense that allows the offense to go 3 and out and bombs away constantly putting the likes of a Tom Brady back on the field with more offensive possessions 

I don't get it because you can go up-tempo while running the ball. Just run it to the outside and add in some check downs here and there. There was no reason for them to keep passing.

At one point there was like 8 mins in the 4th and they were throwing like crazy.

I don't get it because you can go up-tempo while running the ball. Just run it to the outside and add in some check downs here and there. There was no reason for them to keep passing.

At one point there was like 8 mins in the 4th and they were throwing like crazy.

I agree.. I don't think you can correlate Pagano wanting to go uptempo to not wanting to run the ball. You can still do both, but I think Pep took it as "chunk play time!".

Chuck seems to be putting everything his shoulders.. kinda seems like he's ready to get out.. never seen a coach repeatedly blame his self over and over, no matter what questions he's asked

He's the leader of the team. That'd what a leader is supposed. You are ultimately responsible for everything your men do and fail to do.

That 1st drive was a thing of beauty, that's how you beat the Patriots. The same way teams used to beat Peyton when he was with the Colts. Keep them ( Manning, Brady) on the bench with long time consuming drives. I really thought the Colts were going to keep running the ball but nope, 26 consecutive passes at one point.. have to stay balanced   

This. 

I said this before the game, and when we came out dinking and dunking I even said to my bro-in-law, WE'RE DOING IT!! PEP LEARNED!!!

Then we resorted back to the old way, and only scored in garbage time.