Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The one bright spot

runthepost

Don't understand the "one bright spot" comment. The Colts are improving noticeably by the week. The offensive line is finally hitting stride. And I mean the holding calls aside they played a hell of a game. Luck had excellent protection and the run blocking was not just an improvement , it was very good by NFL standards. The quick release by Luck and play calling in general were remarkably improved. The defense played a damn good game. You are talking about one of the deadliest offensive attacks in football- how big were all those stops in the second half? They kept the Colts in the game. The tackling has also improved. This is the first time I think I've seen the colts actually game plan for an opponent all year. What bothered me were:

1- high sailing passes by Luck that just crippled the drives

2- the stupid crippling penalty calls on the o line

3- the thought that they were going to get cute with the patriots on 4th down- that was a game changer.

I feel better about this loss than the Bills or Jets or heck even the Titans win but there were still too many mistakes. Holding is killing them. That has to stop no matter how you do it. I also do not understand for the life of me why this team is determined to play zone defense in the secondary when it's clear their corners are best at man and they are getting chewed up every week in the zone. I understood with the injuries they had no choice but the starters are back now.

Luck reverted in the second half to looking for the home run but that might have been because of adjustment by the Pats. They aren't running enough but then again it's hard to run when it's 1st and 18 all the time because of holding. I would like to see more screens, especially with Bradshaw.

The oline is getting better but have to fix the holding issue (yes I know I am beating a dead horse). Luck was high tonight but nothing new for him there, he's been that way his whole career.

Still very little pass rush. I am not sure what they can do there that they aren't already trying.

Should have just punted on punt gate, got too cute and paid for it.

This effort will beat a lot of teams but not the top two teams in the conference on the road in the playoffs.

This Colts team HAS improved. We went toe to toe with a very good pats team

Sorry to say I didn't quite see it like that. They didn''t punt until halfway through the 3rd. Then, they reeled it in and played ball control in the 4th. They could have scored at will.

Basically, the only differences in this game from the previous ones were, one, Pep's play calling was better in the first half, and two, we got lucky on the pick 6 Edelman bobbled. Outside of that, it was pretty much the same game.

I think it was good game

it had the early make-up of a great game.  some overthrown balls, some balls that probably should have been caught, and the absolutely ridiculous number of penalties.  I mean, we were in this game until 2 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter.  We just can't get out of ourselves way.  Bill Simmons, Skip Bayless and Colts-Hater-Nation will be irritating over the next few days but our next opponent is nearing and its time to go 4-3.  

I also like the way we ran the ball with Gore.

13 carries,  78 yards.     That's 6 yards a carry.

Why we went away from the run in the 2nd half remains a mystery.     To me,  it feels like a Pep thing.

Glad to see Bradshaw in there,  though he didn't play much.

I was uncomfortable seeing Tipton as much as he was.     That also was a mystery to me.

Sorry to say I didn't quite see it like that. They didn''t punt until halfway through the 3rd. Then, they reeled it in and played ball control in the 4th. They could have scored at will.

Basically, the only differences in this game from the previous ones were, one, Pep's play calling was better in the first half, and two, we got lucky on the pick 6 Edelman bobbled. Outside of that, it was pretty much the same game.

Scored at will? Lol, ok bro. That Patriots team is going to put 30-40 points on practically any team, any given week this year. The Colts D made some important stops, particularly in the second half. For the majority of the game, they kept Gronk in check as well. Patriots ran the ball, but it had no where near the effectiveness of any of the previous meetings between these two teams. 

Probably the most important thing that I saw tonight for our offense apart from Luck getting rid of the ball quickly and decisively were longer, SUSTAINED drives. Look at that opening drive that took half the quarter. It reminded me of the clinic we used to put on in the Manning days. 

Anyone who fails to see positives out of this game is simply not *trying* to see positives:

1. Luck didn't throw a pick.

2. The offense had no turnovers

3. The Colts ended a 21-game streak of not scoring an opening-drive touchdown

4. Gore was gashing the Patriots with the run

5. 10 different receivers caught a pass, 9 different receivers caught 2

6. Patriots did not consistently chew up the clock with the run

7. The Colts played to win (4th-down go-for-it, onside kick) - to put their foot on the gas pedal and not let up

8. Luck's amazing scramble-pass to TY in the end zone

9. The defense in the second half held the Pats without a score after the offense failed to move the ball FOUR TIMES

I'd go on but I've accepted that positivity is frowned upon on this forum.

Anyone who fails to see positives out of this game is simply not *trying* to see positives:

1. Luck didn't throw a pick.

2. The offense had no turnovers

3. The Colts ended a 21-game streak of not scoring an opening-drive touchdown

4. Gore was gashing the Patriots with the run

5. 10 different receivers caught a pass, 9 different receivers caught 2

6. Patriots did not consistently chew up the clock with the run

7. The Colts played to win (4th-down go-for-it, onside kick) - to put their foot on the gas pedal and not let up

8. Luck's amazing scramble-pass to TY in the end zone

9. The defense in the second half held the Pats without a score after the offense failed to move the ball FOUR TIMES

I'd go on but I've accepted that positivity is frowned upon on this forum.

Honestly, I was quite impressed with number 9.  I'm kind of hoping for a rematch, albeit in NE but man, if they could play the entire game like that and we finally get the O connecting, I think we could beat them,  last night showed we could hang with them.