Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We have a serious problem with NFL broadcasting

COLTS449

I mean a serious problem.  First up. I pay for the NFL Sunday Ticket. When a game is being shown on a local channel it isn't shown on the package. So I'm sitting here waiting to watch the Packers, Chargers and I flip it to my local CBS and they're showing the Broncos in overtime. Is that what is scheduled? Hell no. Why would you not cut to the game that's supposed to be shown? But guess what CBS I found a way to get by your stupid little broadcasting decisions. I'm watching the Packers Chargers game on NFL mix in the little small box. But that's not the point. If they're going to show the end of a game, or OT, after the scheduled noon game ends, THEN YOU CUT TO THE 3:25 GAME WHEN ITS 3:25. This has me furious. When I watch a game I watch it in its entirety. And whats worse is when the Broncos Bronws game is over instead of going DIRECTLY to the Packers, Chargers. These jerks will how 4-5 commercials even though the Packers, Chargers aren't in a break.

Edited by COLTS449
language

CBS was obligated to show their early game in full, including OT. There are people who wanted to see that too. How mad would we be if they cut away from the Colts/Jags OT game a few weeks ago to go to a late game?

I would agree if you pay for Sunday ticket you should get all the games with no exceptions.

Well when I pay a ridiculous price for the Sunday ticket package I don't expect crap like that. They either need to start cutting to scheduled games on time. Or showing games that's on locally on the package too. Complete crap.

They have to show the entire first game. This isn't new.

CBS was obligated to show their early game in full, including OT. There are people who wanted to see that too. How mad would we be if they cut away from the Colts/Jags OT game a few weeks ago to go to a late game?

I would agree if you pay for Sunday ticket you should get all the games with no exceptions.

No, no, no, no, no, my man. the Broncos, Browns game was NOT the game being shown on my local CBS channel at noon. That would be the Titans game. If that were the case then ok, but it wasn't. They started showing extra footage after the Titans game ended then failed to cut to the scheduled game at 3:25. The Broncos Browns was bonus coverage after the scheduled noon game. The right thing would be to cut to the scheduled game at 3:25. Even Fox does that when they show bonus coverage

No, no, no, no, no, my man. the Broncos, Browns game was NOT the game being shown on my local CBS channel at noon. That would be the Titans game. If that were the case then ok, but it wasn't. They started showing extra footage after the Titans game ended then failed to cut to the scheduled game at 3:25

Ah, well that makes sense then. They should have cut to the Packers game

If I pay for Sunday Ticket, I should be able to see every second of every game regardless. When a game isn't on the ST channel but a local channel and the game before it goes long...... what the crap am I paying ST for?! TO SEE EVERY GAME. This drives me crazy and I've complained to DirecTV about it. I'm paying an arm and leg for this programming, I should get to use it every game. :)

If I pay for Sunday Ticket, I should be able to see every second of every game regardless. When a game isn't on the ST channel but a local channel and the game before it goes long...... what the crap am I paying ST for?! TO SEE EVERY GAME. This drives me crazy and I've complained to DirecTV about it. I'm paying an arm and leg for this programming, I should get to use it every game. :)

:applause: .........

it's nfl rules. it's not up to the networks or direcTV

No, no, no, no, no, my man. the Broncos, Browns game was NOT the game being shown on my local CBS channel at noon. That would be the Titans game. If that were the case then ok, but it wasn't. They started showing extra footage after the Titans game ended then failed to cut to the scheduled game at 3:25. The Broncos Browns was bonus coverage after the scheduled noon game. The right thing would be to cut to the scheduled game at 3:25. Even Fox does that when they show bonus coverage

oh I thought you were in Indy. Then yes they should have switched. Someone fell asleep at the wheel.

Speaking of Sunday Ticket, anyone get a chance to watch the Cards-steelers today? What Hochuli's crew did to the Cards in that game was criminal. The biggest problem in the nfl is the same now as it was 40 years ago-it's the officiating, nothing has changed in over 40 years and guess what, it never will. What a joke that game was!!!

Well when I pay a ridiculous price for the Sunday ticket package I don't expect crap like that. They either need to start cutting to scheduled games on time. Or showing games that's on locally on the package too. Complete crap.

They cannot.  NFL sets the rules.  The NFL mandates all games in a local area that is carried by the network affiliate be blacked out on DirecTV.  Also,because of the famous Heidi game { http://www.nfl.com/videos/oakland-raiders/09000d5d82431c90/This-Day-in-Football-The-Heidi-Bowl }, Networks are reluctant and in some area required to finish the broadcast of the current game before cutting to evening programming or a late game.

I don't even watch games and listen to broadcast commentators. I mute the games, and then have music playing in the background. I've done this for about 4 years straight now. 

Something we used to do back in the day was mute games, and turn on the radio and listen to the Saints broadcast (some team radio broadcasts have former players that commentate on radio). I'd recommend giving that a try. 

They have to show the entire first game. This isn't new.

For me - today - I could not see the Packers-Chargers game.

This is the first time ever I was not able to see a game that was not blacked out (raiders) .. I have the NFL direct tv package.

I am going to have to call them and see what was up today.

NFL rules say that ST cannot show "game x" on a ST channel instead of a local channel when said local channel is NOT showing "game x"?

It's NFL rules that satellite cannot show any game that is being broadcast locally.  The local station doesn't have pull in what games are broadcast, the Network makes that call.  The only people guaranteed by NFL rule to get the Packers - Chargers game on time is the local TV station in the Green Bay Area.  Because NFL rules say all home games get broadcast locally in full.  And locally broadcast games (whether home team or not) are blacked out on satellite in that area. Other regions are at the discretion of the Network heads.  The Heidi bowl still rings in the chambers, and Networks finish games, even OT games, rather than cut to newly beginning games.

For those too young to know what the Heidi bowl was, it was the first time an NFL game went past it's 3 hour slot on Network TV (NBC I believe).  The Network heads decided they would go with the revamped for TV movie Heidi, even if the game went beyond the time limit.  (Remember, in 1968, there were no VCR's, DVR's, etc... and family time movies were watched in real network  time) 

The game was in the Jets hand late after kicking a FG with just over 1 minute to go.  They kick off to Oakland which is returned to just past their twenty, just over 1 minute left.  All of the NBC affiliates (including the Oakland area!) were switched by the network to Heidi after the jets kicked off to Oakland, instead of showing the end of the game.  While NBC switched at commercial break to Heidi, the Raiders went on and scored 2 TD's in nine seconds and secured the victory.  Yet 99.9% of the country missed it (everyone except those in the Coliseum) and believed the Jets won the game.  However, the roar from the masses was astounding a few minutes later when NBC ran a scrolling subscript across the bottom of the TV screen mentioning the Raiders victory. While the telephone switchboard was clogged at the end of the game, it blew when the games results were posted at the bottom of everyone's TV screen a couple minutes after the game ended. {Yes, switchboards were the norm for telephone systems back then, too}

Now to be fair, it is told that the NBC execs changed their mind near the end of the game, and tried to alert the guy that was to throw the switch, so to speak, to complete the game broadcast, then switch to the movie. But they could not get through.  The home callers, both in favor of watching the game conclusion and those wanting to see the movie instead of football, swamped the telephone switchboard.  The NFL execs could not get the abort command to their guy because of it, and thus the Heidi Bowl became real.  That will resonate throughout the broadcast industry for many moons, and has it's place in NFL history.

So a combo of rules and history lead to decisions.  And if it involves an out of market team, you don't know what you'll get, or what to expect.  Sorry.

I mean a serious problem. First up. I pay for the NFL Sunday Ticket. When a game is being shown on a local channel it isn't shown on the package. So I'm sitting here waiting to watch the Packers, Chargers and I flip it to my local CBS and they're showing the Broncos in overtime. Is that what is scheduled? Hell no. Why would you not cut to the game that's supposed to be shown? But guess what CBS I found a way to get by your stupid little broadcasting decisions. I'm watching the Packers Chargers game on NFL mix in the little small box. But that's not the point. If they're going to show the end of a game, or OT, after the scheduled noon game ends, THEN YOU CUT TO THE 3:25 GAME WHEN ITS 3:25. This has me furious. When I watch a game I watch it in its entirety. And whats worse is when the Broncos Bronws game is over instead of going DIRECTLY to the Packers, Chargers. These jerks will how 4-5 commercials even though the Packers, Chargers aren't in a break.

I decided to be smart about it this year. The colts first 8 games accomodated not having to pay for NFL Sunday ticket. 6 of the 8 games are nationally televised so I watched the other 2 at the bar.

Week 9 I will order Sunday ticket and save 50%. (I'm not a new customer so I don't get it free this year)

By next year we won't have to buy it with all the national broadcasting games. We're going to have the schedule adjusted to one of the hardest in the league since we have the 2nd easiest this year. Last time we were at #1 hardest was in 2012.

I decided to be smart about it this year. The colts first 8 games accomodated not having to pay for NFL Sunday ticket. 6 of the 8 games are nationally televised so I watched the other 2 at the bar.

Week 9 I will order Sunday ticket and save 50%. (I'm not a new customer so I don't get it free this year)

By next year we won't have to buy it with all the national broadcasting games. We're going to have the schedule adjusted to one of the hardest in the league since we have the 2nd easiest this year. Last time we were at #1 hardest was in 2012.

I don't think you understand how the scheduling works

Why would anyone want to cut away from the end of a close finish to see the kickoff and first three commercials of a game just starting...?

The only time they do cut away is when the team playing at 4:XX is in that market.

i.e. Bills/Dolphins run long on CBS-Indianapolis, at 4:14 they'll cut away from that to show Colts/Broncos as the late afternoon game. For me, on CBS-Philadelphia, I will get the rest of the Bills/Dolphins game...which is what the vast majority of people would prefer, they can't guess that I'm an out of market fan, nor would I expect them to...

• 3 weeks later...

Fyi Sunday ticket Wil still show a late game if it's scheduled to be a national game when the early national games goes long. Today the raiders vs Steelers game went long and the Broncos vs Colts game was shown on channel 714 until atleast the start of second quarter.