• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

in·con·stant
inˈkänstənt/
adjective

1. frequently changing; variable or irregular.
    "their exact dimensions aren't easily measured since they are inconstant"
    synonyms: ficklefaithlessunfaithfulfalsewaywardunreliableuntrustworthy,capriciousvolatileflightyunpredictableerratic, blowing hot and cold;More

- see Hugh Thornton 

Some people just run on more emotion then others. All we can do is speculate the whys and how comes. Shouldn't knock a guy for being hard on himself, upset cause he's not just letting himself down, but his teammates too. Knowing(in his head) that he's better then those plays. Atleast he has that passion. Maybe that's what fires him up, gets him goin? Who knows what was going on inside that head of his.

After that he had some great blocks on those Gore TDs.

Playing football is emotional. And if you disagree then you've clearly never really played. And believe it or not, a lot of players cry. Pros included. I'd rather have a guy break down, then get fired up - putting heart into it. Than him poor play after poor play, just go sit on the side line, yawn, giggle, an act like he don't give a lick.

But everyone has their own opinion.

Exactly, most people on here haven't played a sport, let alone football. I cried playing football once, it happens. Especially during practices.

You didn't miss anything. Pagano gave him a talking to. Nothing unusual.

Thought I'd get your opinion about our Guard problem.....at least RG. I was just sitting here rewatching the game rewind coaches film on game pass before MNF and while obviously Thornton struggled quite a bit he also at moments showed he has big time upside. Getting a couple pancake blocks and I thought when asked to pull he did well , He struggled with hand placement in pass pro and that led to penalties because he appeared to panic

I personally think Thornton should start the rest of the year and ya let him take his lumps as they will obviously come then you re-evaluate at the end of the season. Pep and Luck can obviously (or should) do a lot more to help not only him but the rest of the O Line out.

Would you leave Thornton in?

I'm sticking to my opinion that he's the dumbest player in the NFL. He needs to go NOW. Wasted draft pick and bad teammate. He's just so awful. I just cant understand why we didn't trade for Ben Grubbs, or sign Incognito or something this offseason.

I don't understand why they didn't take a chance on Incognito either. I'm sure the guy's learned his lesson.

Thought I'd get your opinion about our Guard problem.....at least RG. I was just sitting here rewatching the game rewind coaches film on game pass before MNF and while obviously Thornton struggled quite a bit he also at moments showed he has big time upside. Getting a couple pancake blocks and I thought when asked to pull he did well , Struggled with hand placement in pass pro and that led to penalties

I personally think Thornton should start the rest of the year and ya let him take his lumps as they will obviously come then you re-evaluate at the end of the season. Pep and Luck can obviously (or should) do a lot more to help not only him but the rest of the O Line out.

Would you leave Thornton in?

I would leave Thornton in for now. Absolutely. 

He only played one game in preseason, then he got hurt. That's been his issue, and IMO, has hurt his development. His physical tools are outstanding, and he's easily the most gifted interior lineman on the roster. His technique lacks at times, but that one preseason game, he was very good. He rehabs, rides the bench for two weeks, and then suddenly gets thrown back in the fire. Gotta be ready, but it's not surprising at all that he didn't have a clean game. By the way, none of the linemen did, including AC, especially.

Give him a chance to clean up the hands issue, which was really the only issue he had yesterday. Not just on the penalties, but even on the other missed blocks he had. It's like the game was faster than he remembered. And I said already, I think he got robbed on two of those penalties. One was borderline, but the other was an awful call. 

So yeah, I'd give him the start next week. Full week of practice with the 1's, let him get his feet under him, and give him another crack at it. If he has a rough first half, then he can go back to the bench, and we'll give one of the vets another crack. Or maybe Harrison at some point. I don't have to commit to him for the rest of the year, especially if he isn't playing well, but I wouldn't yank him yet. 

I don't understand why they didn't take a chance on Incognito either. I'm sure the guy's learned his lesson.

Read up on his history on Wikipedia. He's continously in trouble fron college thru the pros. He hasn't learned a thing. He keeps getting breaks because of his football skills. When he is done with football he'll probably end up in jail.

I know it's not cool to defend Thornton and he can whiff on some blocks, especially in pass protection,the holding calls have got to stop, but when he pulls, he wipes his man out, physically he has everything you need and he can pull with the best of them, I hope they continue to let him play and hopefully he can improve in the weak areas, we don't really have any better options.

He only played one game in preseason, then he got hurt. That's been his issue, and IMO, has hurt his development. His physical tools are outstanding, and he's easily the most gifted interior lineman on the roster. 

I don't have a problem leaving thornton in, but its only because there's no one better.  Not being in has hurt his development, but at some point, not being able to develop because of injury becomes an excuse...it's been 2 years.  Like Vick Ballard...when do you cut the strings?  We're getting close to that point with Thornton...

EDIT: I just want to be clear, I'm not trying to start the fire here, I am just curious...Because at some point...a player's development, even if stalled beyond conditions he can't control, gets him cut.  I don't knwo when that is, but I know he's running out of time, regardless of how much he tries his hardest. 

Real men don't get fingers in their eye.

Actually I just went back over all of his blocks and I counted he was 52 of 55 for 94.5 percent, He really did make several fantastic blocks and did an excellent job of picking up stunts and had a few knockdowns. Other then those penalties he did very well by my count...The Tackles.....different story. For as much venom as Thornton has gotten in this thread I think its completely misplaced for this particular game

I don't have a problem leaving thornton in, but its only because there's no one better.  Not being in has hurt his development, but at some point, not being able to develop because of injury becomes an excuse...it's been 2 years.  Like Vick Ballard...when do you cut the strings?  We're getting close to that point with Thornton...

EDIT: I just want to be clear, I'm not trying to start the fire here, I am just curious...Because at some point...a player's development, even if stalled beyond conditions he can't control, gets him cut.  I don't knwo when that is, but I know he's running out of time, regardless of how much he tries his hardest. 

I am a fan of Thornton's upside: I should start a Twitter account for it. I said in the offseason that I think he can be our best interior lineman. But when he got hurt in training camp, I said I was okay moving on from him. It's like you said, at a certain point, the injuries make a player more trouble than he's worth, and you can't afford to use the roster spot on him any longer. 

But we kept him, and he's evidently healthy now, and the best case scenario is that he gets it together, stays upright, and develops into what he's supposed to be. That can't happen if we yank him because he wasn't great in his first game. It would be especially petty to yank him because he was emotional over having a rough game.

I haven't specifically rewatched him just yet, but I know that he was most definitely NOT our worst lineman, and he's most certainly not as bad as Lance Louis and Todd Herremans were in the first two games. He's ready to play now, so unless he gets hurt again, we don't really have to talk about his injury issues. 

:thmup:  Spot on!

Really The facts are most of the fans that love the colts know that the colts number one need in the off season was oline yet  with our first pick in the draft we pick a w/r if management had a clue most of these conversations would not be taking place. What would the colts record be if they would have drafted for need intead of being greedy and expecting luck to preform like an elite qb behind a high school line?

Really The facts are most of the fans that love the colts know that the colts number one need in the off season was oline yet  with our first pick in the draft we pick a w/r if management had a clue most of these conversations would not be taking place. What would the colts record be if they would have drafted for need intead of being greedy and expecting luck to preform like an elite qb behind a high school line?

Probably the same, or maybe 0-3, seeing as how Dorsett made a great catch on third and 20, and there are no rookie OL playing well right now.

#dontreachforperceivedneed

Probably the same, or maybe 0-3, seeing as how Dorsett made a great catch on third and 20, and there are no rookie OL playing well right now.

Are you going to give out grades for the game and go over Thorntons blocks, Im interested in if Im pretty accurate when grading his blocks

Are you going to give out grades for the game and go over Thorntons blocks, Im interested in if Im pretty accurate when grading his blocks

Yeah, I am. How did you get All 22 already? I don't have access yet, and I especially want to see if Thornton was on the field for the false start... 

Yeah, I am. How did you get All 22 already? I don't have access yet, and I especially want to see if Thornton was on the field for the false start... 

I don't know, I just logged in today and had all 22. Thornton was in on the field goal attempt that he was called for the false start for at the left end next to Doyle, Best that I cant tell its debatable on whether he moved/flinched or not however

I am a fan of Thornton's upside: I should start a Twitter account for it. I said in the offseason that I think he can be our best interior lineman. But when he got hurt in training camp, I said I was okay moving on from him. It's like you said, at a certain point, the injuries make a player more trouble than he's worth, and you can't afford to use the roster spot on him any longer. 

But we kept him, and he's evidently healthy now, and the best case scenario is that he gets it together, stays upright, and develops into what he's supposed to be. That can't happen if we yank him because he wasn't great in his first game. It would be especially petty to yank him because he was emotional over having a rough game.

I haven't specifically rewatched him just yet, but I know that he was most definitely NOT our worst lineman, and he's most certainly not as bad as Lance Louis and Todd Herremans were in the first two games. He's ready to play now, so unless he gets hurt again, we don't really have to talk about his injury issues. 

Thankfully he's not hurt right now, because life for Luck would be much worse than it has been, if anyone could imagine it.  I thought he had good upside, I just wish I could see it on the field (we see occasional plays from time to time, so that'll have to do for now).  And he's definitely not as bad as Louis and Herremans - no one has been as bad as Herremans on either side of the ball.  There were times though it seemed like all three guys were practicing synchronized whiff blocking.  

Anyway, enough harping, I know we all see the same thing.  Goign forward, I really hope that the move of Mewhort over to LG helps out.  I'm not sure if Reitz is the answer at Tackle, but he was good enough Sunday to warrant going back to that lineup.  Having Mewhort next to Thornton will go a long way to instilling some confidence in Thornton as he'll have some meaningful help and not have to do too much on his own.  That pairing didn't look that great Sunday, but Mewhort had been working at RT all summer long and Thornton was off - perhaps that move was a possible contributor.  I'd expect to see even a slight improvement next week.

Read up on his history on Wikipedia. He's continously in trouble fron college thru the pros. He hasn't learned a thing. He keeps getting breaks because of his football skills. When he is done with football he'll probably end up in jail.

Um this would be true for more than just incognito.

I do not know how Scherff is doing but I watch the Giants weekly and Flowers got injured and have seen him commit holding and false start penalties.

Yes he did.

I thought he got cheated on two penalties. Then he got called for a false start when he wasn't even on the field. I would have been upset also. Bad overall game, but still did enough right to show that he's better than the guys that were benched today. Not a very high bar there, but if he can clean up the hands technique, he'll be fine.

Somewhat related, they ran a graphic in a different game showing that the refs called more penalties last week than any other week in NFL history. They seem to be calling holding more tightly this year. I've seen a lot of borderline or bad calls. Hopefully this calms down moving forward.

IMO the 1st hold called on him was very questionable and the 2nd total ___.

As you say, a little cleaning up and he SHOULD be able to get away with what everyone else does.

Go Hugh! We need you Brother. Go Colts!!!

He only played one game in preseason, then he got hurt. That's been his issue, and IMO, has hurt his development. His physical tools are outstanding, and he's easily the most gifted interior lineman on the roster. His technique lacks at times, but that one preseason game, he was very good. He rehabs, rides the bench for two weeks, and then suddenly gets thrown back in the fire. Gotta be ready, but it's not surprising at all that he didn't have a clean game. By the way, none of the linemen did, including AC, especially.

Give him a chance to clean up the hands issue, which was really the only issue he had yesterday. Not just on the penalties, but even on the other missed blocks he had. It's like the game was faster than he remembered. And I said already, I think he got robbed on two of those penalties. One was borderline, but the other was an awful call. 

So yeah, I'd give him the start next week. Full week of practice with the 1's, let him get his feet under him, and give him another crack at it. If he has a rough first half, then he can go back to the bench, and we'll give one of the vets another crack. Or maybe Harrison at some point. I don't have to commit to him for the rest of the year, especially if he isn't playing well, but I wouldn't yank him yet. 

I was wondering about trying Harrison at Guard too. Do you think he could possibly be a pretty good guard? I know the dude is like country strong LOL.

I was about to mention him pushing Luck away. The guy is a headcase. I don't trust him.

That's what bothered me so much. Say what you want about Incognito. He may have teased a young player a little bit (That Happens) But I don't think he would disrespect his QB like that.

I was wondering about trying Harrison at Guard too. Do you think he could possibly be a pretty good guard? I know the dude is like country strong LOL.

I've been thinking about this too.  I don't know enough about Harrison's technique, and I do remember him getting pushed around all over the place when he was playing C, so he might not be a good candidate.  But it wouldn't hurt to try

Need to be make 1 correction, I originally graded Thornton out at 52 of 55 for 94.5%.....I missed 1 of the kneel downs at the end of the game which would be 56....So he still had 52 good and sometimes great blocks but it was out of 56 snaps not counting penalties ...That's still a fantastic 92.8 blocking percentage....Leave him in! Let him grow, He has the biggest upside out of all our Guards, Let him take the lumps and correct them

He doesn't move all that great, but I think he can play guard. He's definitely strong enough. He's had a few snaps at guard at times. How well he'd play, I don't know.

That's what bothered me so much. Say what you want about Incognito. He may have teased a young player a little bit (That Happens) But I don't think he would disrespect his QB like that.

It's amazing to me that someone who is so upset with Thornton slapping Luck's hand away is totally okay with Richie Incognito. There's a double standard here.

It's amazing to me that someone who is so upset with Thornton slapping Luck's hand away is totally okay with Richie Incognito. There's a double standard here.

Yeah but I mean there's a difference in teasing a young guy a little in the locker room and totally disrespecting your QB on national television.