Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Curious Case of Hugh Thorton

ReMeDy

This is a VERY interesting thread. Especially about Thornton crying, being soft, and not being a "tough guy". OK here's why its so, so very interesting to me.......Cultural differences!!!! OK I grew up in southern Kentucky. As did most of my family. My grandpa lived in Indiana several years (work) but was still born and raised in Ky. and returned before I was born. We have a lot of family in Indiana, but we're all, for the most part born and raised in southern Ky. The cultural difference are just amazing to say the least. In the south its a totally different world. I know we have some posters here from everywhere. I think NewColtsFan is from Cali right? Some guys from other countries too. Total differences in the way of life when you compare Ky. to Cali. Down here. Its like cool to be the tough guy you know. The alpha male, etc. You cant be soft lol. You got made fun of for crying or being weak. When we were in High School, if you got in a fight and won, you were literally like the coolest kid in school LOL. And Every parent whips their children. Whipping you son isn't considered wrong here by the majority. Hell my elementary school was still paddling students when I was in 5th grade. (Like 2001) Its just a totally different world in the south and especially So. Ky. Everyone down here was just amazed that AP got in so much trouble for whipping his son. Nobody could comprehend it lol. Also If you put a back woods country boy from my town in California the California folks would be in shock LOL. I'm no redneck in no way, shape, or form. but still in certain ways a product of environment.

Good point friend, that's what makes this forum great and horrible at times.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am sure he was mad at himself for playing as poorly as he was playing and making the mistakes he was making.  The crying probably came from the fact he's not stupid.  He knew he wasn't active in Buffalo and there is a good chance this might have been his last chance to prove he was a NFL level starter and that he could very well end up off the roster in the very near future.  Sometimes the frustration of your life long dream slipping away from you can over whelm you. 

No one could possibly respond to such a gross oversimplication, except to point out that your general point is an oversimplification. To assume one who cries is incapable of being tough is as simpleton as it gets. Thornton may not be that good, but it has nothing to do with his getting emotional.

Ugh wut? Your over thinking this. I get upset when I see giant man children cry during a football game for playing badly. That's it, sorry for making such a gross oversimplification.

I am amazed there are people here who actually take exception to this and want him cut for crying because he had a rough game. I don't care if he cries, at least it shows he cares and is mad at himself. 

Some people are still stuck in a world where "real men" aren't allowed to cry except for at funerals. Crying over other things should be reserved for children and women....obviously.

I have no problem with anyone having a different opinion than me.    Happens here every day.

What I have a problem with are silly,  nonsensical posts that rag on the team after a win.

It's obvious who the children are on this this website.    It's obvious with the big, tough talk.

Crap about cutting the guy and having him find his own way home.     Crap.

Crap about "this is a man's league"  and why didn't we sign Incognito.      Crap.

All said by young silly kids who don't know half of what they think they know.

Grigson publicly said after last year,  "No more knuckleheads!"  and posters here are wondering why we didn't sign him?   How clueless can they be?

Someone here called the Martin incident "overblown"....    not only is that dumb,  but even if it never happened,  Richie Ingonito has been a cancer in every locker-room he's ever been in dating back to high school.   And several colleges.    And every NFL team he's played for.      That's why he's been on so many different teams despite being a good player.    Because he's not worth the trouble.

Adults understand that.    Kids don't.

I really, really don't care about anyone disagreeing with me.    I really do care about seriously bad posts that demonstrate what a bad fan some people here are.     That's what I care about.

I think this comes for a portion of the fanbase who just sees a guy who they can play well on Sundays and doesn't care about having to manage him because if that player becomes a cancer in the locker they will just play arm chair GM and say fire the GM that they should have ever signed the guy in the first place and if someone reminds them that they said sign him in the first place they will just say well I am just a poster on a message board the GM should know more than me. 

The crying thing is what it is. I'm not gonna touch that. I wish everyone would stop debating it at this point one way or another. 

The part I'm actually curious about is whether he can play well enough to get the job done, because he wasn't so hot today.

I vote no.  That's the problem, other than Mewhort there isn't really a good guard on this team.  I wouldn't be shocked to see Grigson got out this week and try something to find a guard. 

This is a VERY interesting thread. Especially about Thornton crying, being soft, and not being a "tough guy". OK here's why its so, so very interesting to me.......Cultural differences!!!! OK I grew up in southern Kentucky. As did most of my family. My grandpa lived in Indiana several years (work) but was still born and raised in Ky. and returned before I was born. We have a lot of family in Indiana, but we're all, for the most part born and raised in southern Ky. The cultural difference are just amazing to say the least. In the south its a totally different world. I know we have some posters here from everywhere. I think NewColtsFan is from Cali right? Some guys from other countries too. Total differences in the way of life when you compare Ky. to Cali. Down here. Its like cool to be the tough guy you know. The alpha male, etc. You cant be soft lol. You got made fun of for crying or being weak. When we were in High School, if you got in a fight and won, you were literally like the coolest kid in school LOL. And Every parent whips their children. Whipping you son isn't considered wrong here by the majority. Hell my elementary school was still paddling students when I was in 5th grade. (Like 2001) Its just a totally different world in the south and especially So. Ky. Everyone down here was just amazed that AP got in so much trouble for whipping his son. Nobody could comprehend it lol. Also If you put a back woods country boy from my town in California the California folks would be in shock LOL. I'm no redneck in no way, shape, or form. but still in certain ways a product of environment.

I was thinking the same thing.  My family is actually from KY and we now live in Indy.  It is different.  I'm not going to badmouth KY or say Indy is better, they are just culturally different.

I have learned one thing though, and this seems to be true throughout history:  Smart = Soft  This is complete bullmanure, but it's the stigma in almost every society.  Big dumb guy beats up small smart guy because... just because.

The game of football is becoming more cerebral every year.  Big dumb guys like Incognito aren't going to make it in this league.

I don't want bullies on my team.  I want smart football players.  If he has a bad day and cries about it, so what.  As long as he composes himself and does his job.

It's year 4 in the program.  I would think management would have the OL issue solved by now considering they have been (ill be nice) awful, besides a few games every now and then.  Our OL is almost a laughing stock and so is management to think it's going to change itself "if we give it enough time".  They have bad starters, and even worse backups.  I don't think exchanging garbage for complete crap is going to solve any problems.  Management honestly believes they can get anybody to "compete in TC" for a starting position for the regular season.  When their trashy player isn't performing, they will call "next man up"!  That's not how competition works...

Managements only attempt at fixing this problem was drafting Mewhort (who is living up to expectations).  Other than that, they threw a bunch of money at Cherilus (who didn't earn it), drafted a handful of mid-late round lineman (which rarely work out), then signing more garbage FA/UFA and praying the problem will work itself out!

Personally I would like to see a trade of a top 3 pick in next years draft to get us a good G for the rest of the season, then use one of the other top picks to fix the other position.  Or keep Mewhort at G and mix the other T position.  I do think Mewhort should stay at G for now and keep Reitz at RT for now, but who knows, I say that and Reitz will have a terrible game.

My main point is, we NEED help (2 years ago), but ultimately NOW and for the future!  I don't care if it's trading a pick or a player we can live without (perhaps both), then using another pick in the draft/or not pay an under performing player (we already got rid of a few) and get one through FA. 

Who cares if Thornton was crying?  I don't and if that's what you're concerned about you may have an issue with what life is about!!  Emotions happen, were all human here...  What I do care about is he just can't get the job done.  He never has, because he is only good for depth.  Castonzo and Mewhort are the only solid players on the OL.  I will let Holmes off the hook (eventhough we should be looking for somebody a little better).  The rest of the cast is merely depth.  Why in the world are we still trying to work with what we have? 

Furthermore, has anybody took note on how many runs Gore has had for at least 8 yards, but it get's brought back because of a penalty?  I've counted more than 5 already this season!  They talk about getting Frank going, but fixing OL problems is part of getting him going.  Anybody know where the OL ranks thus far in the season for sacks, hurries, knockdowns, and penalties given up?  I'm very curious, because you just can't win football games like that, and especially against qualitiy opponents. 

This is a VERY interesting thread. Especially about Thornton crying, being soft, and not being a "tough guy". OK here's why its so, so very interesting to me.......Cultural differences!!!! OK I grew up in southern Kentucky. As did most of my family. My grandpa lived in Indiana several years (work) but was still born and raised in Ky. and returned before I was born. We have a lot of family in Indiana, but we're all, for the most part born and raised in southern Ky. The cultural difference are just amazing to say the least. In the south its a totally different world. I know we have some posters here from everywhere. I think NewColtsFan is from Cali right? Some guys from other countries too. Total differences in the way of life when you compare Ky. to Cali. Down here. Its like cool to be the tough guy you know. The alpha male, etc. You cant be soft lol. You got made fun of for crying or being weak. When we were in High School, if you got in a fight and won, you were literally like the coolest kid in school LOL. And Every parent whips their children. Whipping you son isn't considered wrong here by the majority. Hell my elementary school was still paddling students when I was in 5th grade. (Like 2001) Its just a totally different world in the south and especially So. Ky. Everyone down here was just amazed that AP got in so much trouble for whipping his son. Nobody could comprehend it lol. Also If you put a back woods country boy from my town in California the California folks would be in shock LOL. I'm no redneck in no way, shape, or form. but still in certain ways a product of environment.

I've seen plenty of people from KY cry bro.....  mostly around Lexington.  Being from small town rural Indiana, I see some of what you are saying.....but up above the Ohio river, we just called kids like that d-bags......not "cool kids" in High School.... and that was dang near 20 years ago..... 

I think this comes for a portion of the fanbase who just sees a guy who they can play well on Sundays and doesn't care about having to manage him because if that player becomes a cancer in the locker they will just play arm chair GM and say fire the GM that they should have ever signed the guy in the first place and if someone reminds them that they said sign him in the first place they will just say well I am just a poster on a message board the GM should know more than me. 

Yup!    Well said.

For the arm chair quarterbacks,  it's always win-win for them.

I've seen plenty of people from KY cry bro.....  mostly around Lexington.  Being from small town rural Indiana, I see some of what you are saying.....but up above the Ohio river, we just called kids like that d-bags......not "cool kids" in High School.... and that was dang near 20 years ago..... 

We'll cry if UK losses lol.

I've watched the interaction between Thornton and Pagano a few times now, and I'm not sure how we've concluded that he was crying. Doesn't matter either way, but I can't see anything but a face in a helmet.

Actually, I was concerned by that too. I saw him on the sidelines, but I didn't get enough time to notice if he was crying or not, but I read multiple people in the game-day chat saying he was. Then posters on my topic mentioned he was crying, so I figured that was confirmation. Maybe he wasn't crying, and everyone was being figurative about it, or maybe the people saying he was crying had special Ultra HD televisions that saw his tears. I did see his body language though, and he definitely looked emotional.

Actually, I was concerned by that too. I saw him on the sidelines, but I didn't get enough time to notice if he was crying or not, but I read multiple people in the game-day chat saying he was. Then posters on my topic mentioned he was crying, so I figured that was confirmation. Maybe he wasn't crying, and everyone was being figurative about it, or maybe the people saying he was crying had special Ultra HD televisions that saw his tears. I did see his body language though, and he definitely looked emotional.

He could have been crying. I can't tell. He was definitely emotional. That was obvious when he swatted Luck's hand away, and then Luck straightened him out. Then Pagano straightened him out some more. In all, I don't see the problem with his emotional reaction. I'm more irritated by the penalties and missed blocks than by him being emotional during the game. 

Jesus you guys making a huge deal that he was crying? You have no idea what's going on in his life, have no idea what stress he might have at home and with his family. We all break down he was just unfortunate it was caught on t.v.

People have nothing better to do. They live for other people's lives, not their own. Sad.

I'm curious to know how he looked minus the penalties if anyone has watched the game again. I was in too frantic to even focus but it seems like the fourth quarter the O played exceptional. 1 out of 11 quarters this offense looked like it should've today for the first time. There should be a good mine of footage here for the staff to look at. Let's see if they go back to he same old garbage against the Jags.

We just gotta deal with this mess this season, but in the offseason maybe Irsay will get rid of Grigson, and get a GM who will actually FIX the offensive line!!!. Step 1. Throw buckets of money at one of Marshall Yanda or Keleche Oseleme. Step 2. Draft best Offensive lineman available in the 1st or 2nd round. Then you know what? We have a good offensive line just like that and everyone is happy, happy, happy.

Yeah, but what about CBs? OLBs? DL? S? Do you have 4 first round picks? Ah, lets throw buckets of money at Miller, Revis, Weddle, Wilkerson... got it.

I have known there were a lot of * posters on this and all forums... rarely are they all on display in the same thread.

I agree with Superman, there is nothing that shows Thornton crying.  There are times you can see he's mad and it's understandable... two of his holding calls were bogus calls.  It used to be if you were engaged with a defender and he made a move the olineman had time to react to that move.  For example, on one of his holding penalties in the 2nd half he had the defender engaged and the defender did a rip move and got inside position on Thornton, Thornton's arm slid for the shoulder pad to the arm, he grabbed the arm then let go and the refs called that grab on the arm a hold.  One of his other holding calls was bogus as well.

Yeah, but what about CBs? OLBs? DL? S? Do you have 4 first round picks? Ah, lets throw buckets of money at Miller, Revis, Weddle, Wilkerson... got it.

We have to fill some holes in FA. Might as well sign a top tier guard, and if somehow or another Miller reaches FA we'd e crazy not to go after him considering how poorly our pass rush looks. Then in the draft we should go Guard in the 1st, and either C or RT in the 2nd. We shouldn't really have a big need at DL. Btw. We should have overpaid Vasquez a couple years ago to get him and the issue would already be resolved for the most part.

Polian wasn't very good at finding O-linemen. What he did get was good enough to protect Peyton but not so good at run blocking. I wonder if the success of the O-line back then was more about Howard Mudd. Maybe our O-line needs better coaching.

Let's give a blank check to the Pats OL coach. Deal Mankins, Connolly retires, Stork concussion, ho hum. Just throw in some more rookies in there, including one who gave up just one sack in his first 3 games. Business as usual. No softies up there.

This is management's fault.  We indicated that the OLine assingments wouldn't change.  Yesterday, we moved Mewhort back to LG, bring in Thorton to RG and Reitz to RT.  Here we go again.  changes, changes.  No wonder we can't block effectively!  We keep changinf assignments.  No continuity!  We had shots at obtaining Iupati, Incognito and Mathis and chose to pass.  Now we are paying the price.

I don't know what we're doing with our O-line. We got our LT for sure, and Mewhort seems to be a keeper, but outside of that it's really just a mess. Disappointed Grigson hasn't done a better job fixing it, and I give Grigson credit on some great moves like picking up Hilton, Moncreif, and Henry Anderson all as 3rd rounders; trading for Vontae Davis; picking Luck over RGIII etc. But for a combinations of reasons he hasn't corrected this offensive line problem and it's a very serious issue on this team.

It has been disappointing. He has tried to bring in people shore up this front, but it just hasn't panned out. Latest example, pro-bowl RG Todd Herremans. Initially it seemed like a good signing, but here we are, week 3, and he's already been benched. Donald Thomas was supposed to be a huge get as well, but injuries kept him from ever seeing the field. The list goes on and on. I have to think (hope and pray) that from here on out, the Colts will be drafting o-linemen early and often.

Some people just run on more emotion then others. All we can do is speculate the whys and how comes. Shouldn't knock a guy for being hard on himself, upset cause he's not just letting himself down, but his teammates too. Knowing(in his head) that he's better then those plays. Atleast he has that passion. Maybe that's what fires him up, gets him goin? Who knows what was going on inside that head of his.

After that he had some great blocks on those Gore TDs.

Playing football is emotional. And if you disagree then you've clearly never really played. And believe it or not, a lot of players cry. Pros included. I'd rather have a guy break down, then get fired up - putting heart into it. Than him poor play after poor play, just go sit on the side line, yawn, giggle, an act like he don't give a lick.

But everyone has their own opinion.

its crazy to me the amount of poster bashing the man for a tear...

john henderson- old DT from the Jags...used to have the trainer smack him across the face to get hype for a game...

ray lewis- ran out the tunnel doing his drunk uncles dancing to get hyped before the game...

players at Michigan slap a sign leaving the locker room....

all when (as fans) knows, is what we see on Sunday....

what i saw? A man thrown back in to the fire. Got himself a little burned....Got in his emotions....got fired up...and made some excellent blocks to help seal some love to Gore.

...Dick Vermiel...did he not belong in the NFL for crying? get real lol...

Passion=Passion, regardless of how its expressed

**not debating anything other than just because the NFL is a "mans league"....those "men" that claim "theres no crying in footbal"...get a clue lol. 

We have to fill some holes in FA. Might as well sign a top tier guard, and if somehow or another Miller reaches FA we'd e crazy not to go after him considering how poorly our pass rush looks. Then in the draft we should go Guard in the 1st, and either C or RT in the 2nd. We shouldn't really have a big need at DL. Btw. We should have overpaid Vasquez a couple years ago to get him and the issue would already be resolved for the most part.

Jones' ankle can't stay healthy so possible Anderson's injury leave us with Okine as a starter. Ok.

Toler's contract expire after 2015 so we have to start Smith outside with Butler struggling as a nickelback. Ok.

Mathis will be 35, Cole will be 33 next season. Werner is garbage, Newsome is invisible. Ok.

Jackson and Freeman are serviceable at best, Irving had a serious injury, Sylvestre is an UDFA, Moore is unknown. Ok.

Backup QB? Adams' replacement?..

Grigson was forced to bring new 53 players, his work is not finished. And we don't accept "solid", we want "elite". Even as a backups.

This is management's fault.  We indicated that the OLine assingments wouldn't change.  Yesterday, we moved Mewhort back to LG, bring in Thorton to RG and Reitz to RT.  Here we go again.  changes, changes.  No wonder we can't block effectively!  We keep changinf assignments.  No continuity!  We had shots at obtaining Iupati, Incognito and Mathis and chose to pass.  Now we are paying the price.

Colts fans on Friday: Our line sucks, can't the coaches see that? They need to make changes!

Colts on Sunday: [adjusted lineup]

Colts fans on Monday: I thought they said they didn't want to change the line! They're messing everything up! 

Good heavens.

Jones' ankle can't stay healthy so possible Anderson's injury leave us with Okine as a starter. Ok.

Toler's contract expire after 2015 so we have to start Smith outside with Butler struggling as a nickelback. Ok.

Mathis will be 35, Cole will be 33 next season. Werner is garbage, Newsome is invisible. Ok.

Jackson and Freeman are serviceable at best, Irving had a serious injury, Sylvestre is an UDFA, Moore is unknown. Ok.

Backup QB? Adams' replacement?..

Grigson was forced to bring new 53 players, his work is not finished. And we don't accept "solid", we want "elite". Even as a backups.

That's why we sign guys like Herremans, Also. Anderson isn't hurt.