Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I'm not ready to give up on this season yet

DalTXColtsFan

And I'm posting it with intention to eat crow if I'm wrong, but I think this team can turn things around and make the playoffs.  Once the playoffs start it's a whole new season.

I just see too many good players on this team, and I see too many correctable mistakes.  I also see the best defense I've seen out of a Colts team since 2009.

Titans, Jags, Texans, Saints, Panthers - these are all winnable games.  I can see this team at 5-3 heading into our stretch home against Denver and at Atlanta (who seems to have a good team this year!).  By then we'll *really* know how well this team can compete.  I'm hoping they'll be up for a little revenge when it's time to go to Pittsburgh too.

I'm not thinking about 2016  yet.  I still think the Colts are capable of wining it all this year.

sure there are winnable games, this division is a joke.  if we beat Tennessee next week, some how that will put us in first place! 

unless cough the jags beat the patriots on the road.

winning the AFC south and getting embarrassed again in the playoffs does not deem a good season imo

I find it hard to believe that there are people who actually give up on the team after two games. Like, really? The other fourteen don't matter? 

I 100 percent agree. And like The Peytonator said, I didn't wait 7 months to give up after two weeks. Every champion faces adversity. It's our job now to fight past it. One game at a time. Focus on Tennessee. I don't even care about that Pats game right now. Just win the next one and move on. 

winning the AFC south and getting embarrassed again in the playoffs does not deem a good season imo

A serious question just for discussion:  Suppose we finish the season 9-7, win the AFC South, then Buffalo or Baltimore or Cincinnati come to town and we beat them at home, then go on the road and lose a hard-fought game to Pittsburgh or New England.  What's the degree of success of the season then?  Does the playoff win wipe out the terrible regular season?

Suppose we finish the season 9-7, win the AFC South, then Buffalo or Baltimore or Cincinnati come to town and we beat them at home, then go on the road and beat Denver, then go on the road and lose a hard-fought AFC Championship game to Pittsburgh or New England.  What's the degree of success of the season then?

After 2 games? No, I'm not either.

We've played 2 games against 2 top 5 defences run by Rex Ryan and Todd Bowles who seem to always have our number. We've had injury problems especially this last week where we, for most of the game, had 3 guys we found walking aimlessly around the stadium, threw them a set of pads, slapped their backsides and said "Right, now go cover Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker!". Penalty issues, which are fixable, and imo at least to some extent down to some slightly questionable refereeing. And turnover issues which can be reduced by not going against a top 5 defense every week where our WRs can actually get some separation occasionally.

If we still look overmatched on our AFC South run the next few weeks, then we'll talk..

I'm not either.  They can still win the division and make the playoffs, absolutely.  However, once they get there it is going to depend on how good their record is and who they play and where.  At this point the best they can do is 14-2.  Not likely, but still in play.  Let's say they are 12-4 or 11-5 again.  They will likely be the #2 or #3 seed.  Which means a home playoff game and, if they win it, they hit the road.  If it's at NE again, I don't see any different outcome really.  Anywhere else and they have a shot, particularly if they have some momentum.  I'm hopeful but not optimistic at this point.

I'm not giving up either but what is going to be everyone's excuse if we lose at TN this week?

Bills top 5 D and our offense wasn't "in synch"

Jets top 5 D (debatable) and our offense still wasn't in synch...

What's the excuse if we lose to the Titans...

I really hope this does not happen. If this does happen, we can safely pencil being out of the playoffs with games vs Broncos, Patriots to come, IMO. 

It took me until today to calm down.  I'm not ready to give up on the season but from what I have seen so far, I am tempering my expectations.  This is still a team flawed in ways that should have ben resolved by now.  I don't like Grigson's approach to building this team.  I would have preferred strict adherence to building through the draft and a laser focus on the OL. Although I now question Grigson's judgement on talent.

I do think that Pagano is not capable of taking this team any further.  They are really undisciplined right now and have a maddening inability to start off games quickly.  Early TDs and points would go a long ways towards playing from in front.  Pagano's inability to wrangle Pep and get him to adjust his game planning or play calling is the final straw for me.

So no, the season is not lost but getting beyond the Wildcard Round will be an accomplishment in my opinion

No reason to give up.  We are 16 - 2 vs. AFC South opponents, with a +14 turnover differential.  A few division wins could kickstart the team against the other divisions.  We will need to clean up the penalties, and reduce turnovers vs  non divisional foes, though.

Team has to develop chemistry and get in synch, fast.  I feel they can.

A serious question just for discussion:  Suppose we finish the season 9-7, win the AFC South, then Buffalo or Baltimore or Cincinnati come to town and we beat them at home, then go on the road and lose a hard-fought game to Pittsburgh or New England.  What's the degree of success of the season then?  Does the playoff win wipe out the terrible regular season?

Suppose we finish the season 9-7, win the AFC South, then Buffalo or Baltimore or Cincinnati come to town and we beat them at home, then go on the road and beat Denver, then go on the road and lose a hard-fought AFC Championship game to Pittsburgh or New England.  What's the degree of success of the season then?

hypothetically, that would be fine.

however, this team is not even competitive.  i hate to call for tanking after just 2 losses but, you cannot expect to compete against contenders when-

you have the worst guard play in the leage

you have zero pass rush

and clueless play calling.

this team barely laid a finger on tyrod and fitzpatrick, how can we expect to beat brady like that?  the guards alone have given up more than 20 hits on luck in 2 games.  a whole lot has to change in a hurry or this is a lost season.

but hey there is always another afc title to win right?

I guess it depends on what it means to "give up on the season." I certainly still believe this team can get into the playoffs. However, right now thinking this team has any shot at winning a Super Bowl much less getting there seems to be pretty unrealistic. The season is still young -- I would feel much better if at the very least play-calling duties were shaken up and I'd feel even better if Hamilton was out.

Nor am I.....I didn't wait all summer for this. Like someone said last nigh, we could win the division with 9-7 and go on to be the '07 Giants. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good......not sure we're either though.

It's funny, my girlfriend asked me why I was so upset about the way the Colts games have gone. I told her it's like you have waited 7 months for Christmas and you wake up Christmas mornibg to find that someone set all your presents on fire.

However, right now thinking this team has any shot at winning a Super Bowl much less getting there seems to be pretty unrealistic.

The 2014 Colts offense was pretty darned good, and with the additions of Herremans, Gore, Johnson and Dorsett it's supposed to get even better.  If that unit can suddenly flip the switch and figure out how to play to its potential we'll be able to score on any team in the league.  NE clearly doesn't have the D it had last year.  Indy scored against Pittsburgh last year (Pittsburgh just scored more LOL).  Indy can beat Denver - that's been proven.

And CLEARLY the Colts are better on DEFENSE this year than they've been in any recent year (though it'll be nice to get a few of our DBs back).

It's all about potential.  If the coaches can get this team to play as a unit where each subset of the unit plays to its potential, I don't want to be any of the other 31 teams in the NFL.

Our problem is the O-Line is not ready for tough defenses. And what do you know, we happen to play the top 2 defenses in the league in the beginning of the season. I feel as if we bounce back and get handed our butts again during the Patriots game. Nothing we can do with the guys we have but to TRY to improve.

Very simple.  It isn't a success.  

In all of the ramblings as of late the one thing that is getting thrown out there is that this isn't a talented team.  Which is quite frankly wrong.  We have a very talented D-Line, great corners, mediocre ILB, great OLB, an Oline that (most would disagree) has more than average talent, a very talented QB, very talented WR all with different traits (except TY and Dorsett), and a great stable of RB and TE's.  The one thing holding us back is the Offensive play calling and coaching.  For a team with this much talent before salary cap constraints doesn't win the superbowl I would say it is a failure of a year.  Because once Luck gets his contract it will be very hard to have this much talent brought in FA every single season like we have been.

Now given that I'm not a supporter of firing Pagano (and this is from a person who didn't like the hiring in the first place).  I am though in favor of dramatic change in the Offensive tree and that includes Hamilton, his QB coach and his Oline coach. And while I'm ok with Grigson (he is quite far from perfect), I'm not ok with Grigson having say and undermining the HC Pagano (if true).  That alone for me is a reason to cut ties with Grigson (no matter his eye for talent in the late rounds and FA) and grab an experienced GM.

Back onto the topic at hand.  Yes this team can easily turn this season around and turn it into something great.  I'm just not sure the coaching will do so.

hypothetically, that would be fine.

however, this team is not even competitive.  i hate to call for tanking after just 2 losses but, you cannot expect to compete against contenders when-

you have the worst guard play in the leage

you have zero pass rush

and clueless play calling.

this team barely laid a finger on tyrod and fitzpatrick, how can we expect to beat brady like that?  the guards alone have given up more than 20 hits on luck in 2 games.  a whole lot has to change in a hurry or this is a lost season.

but hey there is always another afc title to win right?

This team doesn't have the worst guard play in the league. 

I do agree the pass rush is a concern but I think when the top 3 corners come back you will see sacks again.

Play calling is the biggest concern.  And honestly its the biggest inhibitor of this team going to a superbowl.

It's not college football, you don't get to pick your schedule. Wins are wins wether they pass your or my litmus test.

true just funny cause if we beat the Titans jags and Texans everyone is gonna think it's fixed. then when a real team shows up and slaps us across the face and drops 40 on us they will all have to fall right back to the reality. Reality is this team is missing a lot of talent and is nowhere near ready to be a SB favorite.