Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We need Bradshaw

Dustin

Seriously, we need Ahmad Bradshaw back. Can't keep relying on rookie backs to stay in for 20ish pass blocking snaps per game. Robinson already has two fumbles (yes, I know they were called back), and we have absolutely no screen game at all. Bradshaw was crazy efficient over the last 2 years, and his presence would help alleviate stress on Luck and Co.

As a matter of fact, I fully expect him to be signed at some point this week. 

Losing Boom was huge. When things were going south last night, Luck needed to check it down to a back 10-12 times, like he did to Boom in the playoffs.

Through three seasons, this offense has looked its best with a Boom, Brown, Bradshaw type runner - a perimeter runner and receiving threat.

Good OP.

Bradshaw would help a lot.

And for as good as Robinson looked in the preseason, he looks small and slow now. Varga looks like he can take NFL hits better, with his superior size and strength allowing more yards after contact, IMO. But its only been two games.

I have to admit I had a little bias towards Varga in the beginning but I think he should be getting some of these reps Robinson is getting. Varga is the better back overall I think.

They're both decent running backs but they both suck at pass protection. I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago that we need Bradshaw. I believe it now more than ever!

We dont need bradshaw.... We need Guards that can pass block...  Luck is always looking for the deep ball... Last night Andre was open for the first down and he threw the ball to TY in the end zone.

Well, Bradshaw is on the free agent market, but guards who can pass block aren't.

The real problem is Lucks decision making, Peps play calling (and 4 years later still route combinations that rarely compliment each other), The big problem is Luck has targeted our  entire RB core, TE core 17 times out of 86 pass attempts....Though there was a 30 yarder to Allen that was called back do to penalty

So the answer is to get another RB that wont be able to run???  They need Mewhort at guard and reitz at right tackle..  Get louise out of there...

Yeah, because you can't do that and sign Bradshaw at the same time. Everyone knows you're only allowed 1 roster move/lineup change per week. 

So the answer is to get another RB that wont be able to run???  They need Mewhort at guard and reitz at right tackle..  Get louise out of there...

Mewhort can barely run block either, They need to put Reitz in at LG but apparently have decided having him as our first O Lineman off the bench is better then protecting our star QB

Seriously, we need Ahmad Bradshaw back. Can't keep relying on rookie backs to stay in for 20ish pass blocking snaps per game. Robinson already has two fumbles (yes, I know they were called back), and we have absolutely no screen game at all. Bradshaw was crazy efficient over the last 2 years, and his presence would help alleviate stress on Luck and Co.

The lack of a screen game is on the play caller. Bradshaw would be better than Robinson or Varga in pass protection, but a better offensive game plan would do even more to help Luck.

The lack of a screen game is on the play caller. Bradshaw would be better than Robinson or Varga in pass protection, but a better offensive game plan would do even more to help Luck.

I have seen no indidcation in the Pagano era that our coaching staff has a clue how to coach a screen game.

Of course Andrew has no touch for it so... Harbaugh Lied!

So with all of our issues, your suggestion to fix it is to sign a often injured RB who hasn't had a complete season without ending injured?.....

One word to describe it.....NuTz

So with all of our issues, your suggestion to fix it is to sign a often injured RB who hasn't had a complete season without ending injured?.....

One word to describe it.....NuTz

To fix the whole thing? Obviously not, you'd have to be a complete imbecile to get that from what I said. But it's a solution to A problem.

Read the OP again. Pass blocking from the backups and need for a screen game.

My thinking on that is this: Bringing in Bradshaw to pass block would help but the question is for how long? Cause its a given he will get injured...If he is even ready to go now......And while our rookies are struggling a bit to pass block that's to be expected, They are rookies and I don't think benching them helps their development and given I think Bradshaw will just get injured again it wont help for an extended period of time, Also Robinson does have 5 catches on 5 targets for 27 yards...Which I know is not what Bradshaw put up as a Colt but Bradshaw also had 30 yards or less on 7 of his 10 games played last year

I think right now what is needed much more is an intermediate passing game and to get our TE's more involved and that includes Doyle if Allen is out a couple games, We don't need to use either TE down the field but we should be using them to move the chains a lot more

My thinking on that is this: Bringing in Bradshaw to pass block would help but the question is for how long? Cause its a given he will get injured...If he is even ready to go now......And while our rookies are struggling a bit to pass block that's to be expected, They are rookies and I don't think benching them helps their development and given I think Bradshaw will just get injured again it wont help for an extended period of time, Also Robinson does have 5 catches on 5 targets for 27 yards...Which I know is not what Bradshaw put up as a Colt but Bradshaw also had 30 yards or less on 7 of his 10 games played last year

I think right now what is needed much more is an intermediate passing game and to get our TE's more involved and that includes Doyle if Allen is out a couple games, We don't need to use either TE down the field but we should be using them to move the chains a lot more

They are RBs, JAGS at that. How much do we really need to worry about their development?

They are RBs, JAGS at that. How much do we really need to worry about their development?

More then we need to worry about replacing them with an injury prone though very good RB honestly, Besides both do have skill, Im just not a big fan of not allowing draft picks to develop in game situations I guess, Let them take their lumps and based on how they play the previous week given a certain number of plays to learn you increase the load or decrease it on how they grade out.

Each position is different of course when it comes to that but we ask our rb's to pass block quite a bit so you continue to give them playing time and bring them along slowly....Though 23 offensive snaps for Varga vs the Bills and 21 for Robinson is not what I would call slowly given it was their first game...Compare that to 33 for Gore vs Bills.

Don't have Colts snap counts on Stampede Blue yet for Jets game

Read the OP again. Pass blocking from the backups and need for a screen game.

Why don't we run the plays we ran to Bradshaw with the guys we have now? That's my question. I don't mind Bradshaw, but I really don't get the gameplans and the execution. Bring him back and nothing changes unless we change the play calling. 

Which brings me to the sad truth that we need a new play caller more than anything else.

Why don't we run the plays we ran to Bradshaw with the guys we have now? That's my question. I don't mind Bradshaw, but I really don't get the gameplans and the execution. Bring him back and nothing changes unless we change the play calling. 

Which brings me to the sad truth that we need a new play caller more than anything else.

I fully agree with you. The MAIN problem has been the play calling, and I would go a step further and say, the offensive system. We simply are not playing to our strengths. We have a bad O-line and a very mobile QB, but we consistently ask him to stay in the pocket. We never use roll-outs and hardly use sprints, etc... We don't have a screen game or any play to make life easier for our offense. It's basically line up and run just a few basic routes, which consist mostly of come-back routes, outs and ins. How difficult is that to defend?

We have good WRs, but Pep is asking them to consistently beat 1-on-1 coverage, without scheming to get them open -- no combination routes, crossing routes, pick plays, etc... This forces Luck to hold onto the ball, (which is not a good idea with our O-line) and then he forces bad throws while under immense pressure. A lot of the blame falls on Luck, I understand that, but it is possible to make life easier for him and the offense with better plays and play calling.

I fully agree with you. The MAIN problem has been the play calling, and I would go a step further and say, the offensive system. We simply are not playing to our strengths. We have a bad O-line and a very mobile QB, but we consistently ask him to stay in the pocket. We never use roll-outs and hardly use sprints, etc... We don't have a screen game or any play to make life easier for our offense. It's basically line up and run just a few basic routes, which consist mostly of come-back routes, outs and ins. How difficult is that to defend?

We have good WRs, but Pep is asking them to consistently beat 1-on-1 coverage, without scheming to get them open -- no combination routes, crossing routes, pick plays, etc... This forces Luck to hold onto the ball, (which is not a good idea with our O-line) and then he forces bad throws while under immense pressure. A lot of the blame falls on Luck, I understand that, but it is possible to make life easier for him and the offense with better plays and play calling.

I agree with you on the big picture point, but disagree on some details. Luck missed throws on crossing routes, and didn't throw to some open receivers at times. So it's not that there are no crossing routes or slants or combo routes, because there have been. Not enough, for sure, but still...

What about the middle screen from last week that probably would have been a 30 yard gain, but the throw was off target? Why not run that again? 

What about play action? This game was never out of control, despite the terrible offense, and we ran play action 6 times, out of 43 pass plays. 

What about attacking the edge with a read option?

On the Luck fumble, I had zero confidence that we were going to convert. The offense was so demoralizing.

I have to admit I had a little bias towards Varga in the beginning but I think he should be getting some of these reps Robinson is getting. Varga is the better back overall I think.

Varga is so shifty and will stiff arm the you know what outta someone to fall forward an extra yard or two, was very impressed by his earlier kickoff return of the night.