Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We need Bradshaw

Dustin

We dont need bradshaw.... We need Guards that can pass block...  Luck is always looking for the deep ball... Last night Andre was open for the first down and he threw the ball to TY in the end zone.

Remember the play where Herremans was basically turned around trying to block with his butt and box out the d lineman like he was trying to get a rebound as he was being pushed face first towards Luck?

Good times.

Why don't we run the plays we ran to Bradshaw with the guys we have now? That's my question. I don't mind Bradshaw, but I really don't get the gameplans and the execution. Bring him back and nothing changes unless we change the play calling. 

Which brings me to the sad truth that we need a new play caller more than anything else.

Watching us throw to Reitz and then Hilton covered by Revis both throws in the endzone from the 18 on 2nd and 2 and 3rd and 2 after Gore rushed us all the way there was such a terrible sequence of plays.

Watching us throw to Reitz and then Hilton covered by Revis both throws in the endzone from the 18 on 2nd and 2 and 3rd and 2 after Gore rushed us all the way there was such a terrible sequence of plays.

I don't have a problem with the tackle eligible play. Especially on 2nd and 2; that's where you run something unconventional, and if it doesn't work, it's still a high percentage short yardage situation. I'm fine with that.

But I hate the call on 3rd and 2. Like you said, Gore had been really good to that point, and on that drive, and then we line up in the gun and throw a low percentage pass. Bad play calling, bad execution. The whole point of having a good rushing attack is so that you can rely on the ground game situationally. That's the situation right there. 

I agree with you on the big picture point, but disagree on some details. Luck missed throws on crossing routes, and didn't throw to some open receivers at times. So it's not that there are no crossing routes or slants or combo routes, because there have been. Not enough, for sure, but still...

What about the middle screen from last week that probably would have been a 30 yard gain, but the throw was off target? Why not run that again? 

What about play action? This game was never out of control, despite the terrible offense, and we ran play action 6 times, out of 43 pass plays. 

What about attacking the edge with a read option?

On the Luck fumble, I had zero confidence that we were going to convert. The offense was so demoralizing.

What is it that Pep does not get about Play Action passing?  I mean Gore was gashing the Jets in the run game almost every single time he toted the rock and it seemed like the thought never came across our minds to set up a number of play action passes.  And I swear to God they better get off this even rotation thing and understand that Gore pretty much demands the bulk of the carries.  Yeah I understand he is 32, but he when you see that Guy rolling like that he BETTER be in there in crucial situations and not some rookie.  I do understand he let us down on the goal line so he's got to fix that but overall he's a beast.  When he is given some rest I honestly would be leaning more on Varga than Robinson.  Varga seems to be really hard to tackle and whatever that little move is he does it works pretty good.  Robinson will come around but right now I have to admit Varga is the better option for short down and distance.  He can do a little more than that to be honest.

What is it that Pep does not get about Play Action passing?  I mean Gore was gashing the Jets in the run game almost every single time he toted the rock and it seemed like the thought never came across our minds to set up a number of play action passes.  And I swear to God they better get off this even rotation thing and understand that Gore pretty much demands the bulk of the carries.  Yeah I understand he is 32, but he when you see that Guy rolling like that he BETTER be in there in crucial situations and not some rookie.  I do understand he let us down on the goal line so he's got to fix that but overall he's a beast.  When he is given some rest I honestly would be leaning more on Varga than Robinson.  Varga seems to be really hard to tackle and whatever that little move is he does it works pretty good.  Robinson will come around but right now I have to admit Varga is better.

I don't think you can ride Gore all game long. He only had 266 touches last season, and he's an older back. We have to pace him. I'm fine with that, and I think the young guys are capable.

I've been complaining about play action since 2012.

I totally did not get the hot route that went to T.Y. with Revis covering him.  I was like out of all the matchups on the field you go and select somebody getting covered by Revis?   And I'll say it again, what does Pep have against using his backs in the screen game and on check downs?  It just did not exist until garbage time when it didn't even matter.

I don't think you can ride Gore all game long. He only had 266 touches last season, and he's an older back. We have to pace him. I'm fine with that, and I think the young guys are capable.

I've been complaining about play action since 2012.

I don't think you can consistently ride him every game, but I think there are certain games like yesterday where you have to say to heck with it and give him the lions share of the carries. Especially on crucial downs where have to pick up the first down.  All in all I'm really trying to say he shouldn't be taken out when it matters.

What is it that Pep does not get about Play Action passing?  I mean Gore was gashing the Jets in the run game almost every single time he toted the rock and it seemed like the thought never came across our minds to set up a number of play action passes.  And I swear to God they better get off this even rotation thing and understand that Gore pretty much demands the bulk of the carries.  Yeah I understand he is 32, but he when you see that Guy rolling like that he BETTER be in there in crucial situations and not some rookie.  I do understand he let us down on the goal line so he's got to fix that but overall he's a beast.  When he is given some rest I honestly would be leaning more on Varga than Robinson.  Varga seems to be really hard to tackle and whatever that little move is he does it works pretty good.  Robinson will come around but right now I have to admit Varga is the better option for short down and distance.  He can do a little more than that to be honest.

There was one play in the first half...a play action pass and Luck hit a WR in stride crossing. That was the only time I can remember a play action pass in the game.....and it worked great.

I've been calling for more PA for years.

That's the problem. Luck throws the ball from the same spot in the back field virtually every play. Straight drop back five or seven steps then tries to throw. And when starting from the shotgun, he is still throwing the ball from the same spot, he just doesn't have to drop back.

No imagination. No innovation. Tunnel vision on the part of the play callers.

Makes me think that they don't even practice anything different.

There was one play in the first half...a play action pass and Luck hit a WR in stride crossing. That was the only time I can remember a play action pass in the game.....and it worked great.

I've been calling for more PA for years.

That's the problem. Luck throws the ball from the same spot in the back field virtually every play. Straight drop back five or seven steps then tries to throw. And when starting from the shotgun, he is still throwing the ball from the same spot, he just doesn't have to drop back.

No imagination. No innovation. Tunnel vision on the part of the play callers.

Makes me think that they don't even practice anything different.

It's frustrating as hell.  I am going to submit that as a question on Colts.com and hopefully they will present it to Pagano.

It's frustrating as hell.  I am going to submit that as a question on Colts.com and hopefully they will present it to Pagano.

He'll say something like the running game has to be working first.

Nonsense. Turning to fake hand off works whether or not the running game is gaining yards. Yes, PA works better when the running game is clicking, but it has a purpose regardless.

And actually, the downhill running game has been working pretty well so far....when used.

Need to start running the ball more and use some screen passes. I don't think I have seen a draw play at all this season.

If  this team wants to win some games need to start pounding some running  plays and some counter plays  with Gore and Varga. This will set up the passing game screens to RB's and TE's along with some swing plays out of the back field. This will  force the other team to play honest and this will open up the longer passing game and put some points on the board.There is no point of signing another RB. It does not matter who is in the back field if you are calling audibles and not setting up your passing game  with some running plays the defense will cheat on you all day long. All 3 RBs can catch the ball out of the back field if they have to worry about the run and short passing game it will open the field for the WR's to do some major  damage..

He'll say something like the running game has to be working first.

Nonsense. Turning to fake hand off works whether or not the running game is gaining yards. Yes, PA works better when the running game is clicking, but it has a purpose regardless.

And actually, the downhill running game has been working pretty well so far....when used.

Honestly Gore really ran for 100 yards last night.  Too bad about 50 of the yards got called back in penalties.

These referees have been going hard with the flags the last 2 weeks.