Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I dont think Peyton will last the season....

bap1331

it doesnt even look like he will even make the playoffs. He throws alot of wobbly balls, overthrows the receivers, and sometimes it wont even reach the receiver. I can see Osweiler starting at some point. Now he is just playing for the love of the game.

it doesnt even look like he will even make the playoffs. He throws alot of wobbly balls, overthrows the receivers, and sometimes it wont even reach the receiver. I can see Osweiler starting at some point. Now he is just playing for the love of the game.

yeah, i thought that last year, especially after our win against them.

He's been on a steep decline the past couple seasons, although his numbers don't necessarily reflect that. He's been able to do well with short passes and sound decision making, but the long ball has simply not been there.

Now he's struggling to complete even short passes - although in fairness the O-line has played poorly and he's had little time to set his feet. Being the slowest QB in the league he can't avoid sacks, so the best decision is for him to often go down and eat it. (Better than fumbling or picks.)

It might be Osweiler time, but we'll see. If the D plays like it has it's a championship level but they still need to score touchdowns.

I don't understand why Denver kept throwing on first down and not running which worked early. But their offense was horrendous. It lacks any ability to get any chunk yardage unless they pop a big run. Manning looks very uncomfortable and his protection was bad too. This is the first time in a long time that he has not thrown a single TD. Quick turn around for KC Thursday.

Still very happy they beat the Ravens. :)

I don't understand why Denver kept throwing on first down and not running which worked early. But their offense was horrendous. It lacks any ability to get any chunk yardage unless they pop a big run. Manning looks very uncomfortable and his protection was bad too. This is the first time in a long time that he has not thrown a single TD. Quick turn around for KC Thursday.

i think Kubiak was trying to stay out of predictable running situations and went away from his normal game plan because the Ravens knew his tendencies and obviously would be tipped by his plays before snaps based off formations, movements etc...this was a hard game 1 for that reason....Peyton is clearly on the decline but I think he can be effective enough once this team gels.

i think Kubiak was trying to stay out of predictable running situations and went away from his normal game plan because the Ravens knew his tendencies and obviously would be tipped by his plays before snaps based off formations, movements etc...this was a hard game 1 for that reason....Peyton is clearly on the decline but I think he can be effective enough once this team gels.

Yeah, week 1. Every team has work to do but the offense was really sub par. I think that Oline will be their doom. Just not nearly good enough there.

I think we are seeing the final year of his career. The lack of feeling in his fingertips along with his other injuries is just too much.

He said he had that in the 2013 season so its not much that..he wasnt going to mention that or the team and organization would doubt his ability

Actually he didnt score a TD against the Rams too i believe.

Becuase Peyton Manning hates running the ball even when it's working. Just go back to the Broncos/Colts playoff game from January where the run was working (even on 4th down) and he still kept throwing and throwing. 

After the game.....

Media question: Is a defensive win still a win?

Peyton Manning: "It's a team win. That's what I think."

"It's Week 1. We're a work in progress. If you need a catchy headline for your article or whatever it is you might be doing: 'We're trying to get better every single week.'

"What's another cliche I can think of? 'We're chipping away.' Something along those lines."

Peyton Manning

Becuase Peyton Manning hates running the ball even when it's working. Just go back to the Broncos/Colts playoff game from January where the run was working (even on 4th down) and he still kept throwing and throwing.

They were getting stoned at the line...for 3 quarters..It wasnt working

Almost nobody runs on Baltimore...especially not with a rebuilt line..

...In the 4th quarter..the Broncos DID run the ball a little.

..They're asking Peyton to do 3 things that contradict....

He's supposed to operate a new offense.......play with a new line including 2 'rookies' (the center is a 2nd year practice squad grad)

.....while also taking days off during the week to rest his old self./

...I'd ashcan the days off until the offense gets sharp//

I agree that they fail to make the playoffs. Chargers will be in a fight for a wildcard and KC wins the division...

After the game.....

"It's Week 1. We're a work in progress. If you need a catchy headline for your article or whatever it is you might be doing: 'We're trying to get better every single week.'

"What's another cliche I can think of? 'We're chipping away.' Something along those lines."

Peyton Manning

What kind of question is that? Any win counts whether it's defense or offense. Sometimes I wonder what the media is thinking. with these crazy questions. Maybe they can't come up with anything better.

It's not.  Going back to last year, he has not thrown a TD pass on 3 of his last 5 games.

He has definitely lost a big part of his feel. It almost seems like he is doing things based on muscle memory rather than have a good command of where the ball will go. It can't be pinpointed just to arm strength, IMO, Peyton never ever had the arm strength of a Brady or Rodgers even in his prime but had a great feel for where the ball will end up.

However, I do think it is good for him that Elway realized the focus has to be away from Peyton's arm and it is an outstanding Raven's defense that the Broncos played, IMO. The Ravens' secondary is far better with Jimmy Smith and Will Hill in it, far better. I do not see anyone scoring 30 on that defense unless Flacco turns it over several times with bad field position.

Given the fact that Peyton's arm and the entire O is given time to work itself into a new offense, I actually expect him to play better mid-season and later than early in the season. The Broncos' pass rush and defense, let me tell you, they were going against a good OL and they shined. They will hurry a lot of QBs, IMO.

After the game.....

Peyton Manning

What kind of question is that? Any win counts whether it's defense or offense. Sometimes I wonder what the media is thinking. with these crazy questions. Maybe they can't come up with anything better.

he should have answered that with just a yes and a blank stare

He has definitely lost a big part of his feel. It almost seems like he is doing things based on muscle memory rather than have a good command of where the ball will go. It can't be pinpointed just to arm strength, IMO, Peyton never ever had the arm strength of a Brady or Rodgers even in his prime but had a great feel for where the ball will end up.

However, I do think it is good for him that Elway realized the focus has to be away from Peyton's arm and it is an outstanding Raven's defense that the Broncos played, IMO. The Ravens' secondary is far better with Jimmy Smith and Will Hill in it, far better. I do not see anyone scoring 30 on that defense unless Flacco turns it over several times with bad field position.

Given the fact that Peyton's arm and the entire O is given time to work itself into a new offense, I actually expect him to play better mid-season and later than early in the season. The Broncos' pass rush and defense, let me tell you, they were going against a good OL and they shined. They will hurry a lot of QBs, IMO.

His physical abilities are one thing but this offense is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. No more hurry up, very little audibling at the line. He really looks like a fish out of water. I really don't understand why Elway did this to him. Perhaps they see this all coming together as the season progresses but he can only really run about half of Kubiak's offense as he can't do the stretch hand off runs, bootlegs or cross over passes as he does not have the arm strength to go across his body. The play actions really only work if you can get the run game going and then hit the receivers deep. I am very interested to see what changes, if any, Kubiak makes for Thursday's game. May be too short of a week to do much.

His physical abilities are one thing but this offense is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. No more hurry up, very little audibling at the line. He really looks like a fish out of water. I really don't understand why Elway did this to him. Perhaps they see this all coming together as the season progresses but he can only really run about half of Kubiak's offense as he can't do the stretch hand off runs, bootlegs or cross over passes as he does not have the arm strength to go across his body. The play actions really only work if you can get the run game going and then hit the receivers deep. I am very interested to see what changes, if any, Kubiak makes for Thursday's game. May be too short of a week to do much.

I don't think that is it. It is as simple as Peyton hitting Sanders or DT beyond 20 yards a few times in the game. Once that happens, everything opens up. This article summarizes it well:

http://milehighsports.com/a-simple-solution-will-fix-the-denver-broncos-offense/

Yep, except for the one game that mattered when Denver had the best team in the league.

Yep...I mean he lead them to a game winning TD before his defense gave up the biggest blunder in Denver history but yeah Peyton's had some terrible losses as a favorite....that 2005 Pittsburgh loss still eats me. I know the OL looked like a bunch of high schoolers that game but that was the greatest Indianapolis team we've ever seen here. It's not the best that wins it all...seen that too many times.