Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Patriots Release Reggie Wayne (Update)

Nobody

Update:

A source just told me that #Patriots WR Reggie Wayne “will not be on 53.” Added, “he will not be there."

— Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson)

September 5, 2015

http://nesn.com/2015/09/patriots-practice-attendance-reggie-wayne-absent-before-roster-cuts/

A league source tells me the Patriots are calling teams, shopping around for a big-bodied receiver.

— Doug Kyed (@DougKyed)

September 5, 2015

Of the four players absent, two were cut, one was placed on PUP, and then there's Wayne. He hasn't played well in preseason. The writing may be on the wall. I'm very conflicted on what I want because I don't want Reg to have such an unceremonious end but it would be nice if he only played as a Colt..

Edited by MTC
added update

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://nesn.com/2015/09/patriots-practice-attendance-reggie-wayne-absent-before-roster-cuts/

A league source tells me the Patriots are calling teams, shopping around for a big-bodied receiver.

— Doug Kyed (@DougKyed)

September 5, 2015

Of the four players absent, two were cut, one was placed on PUP, and then there's Wayne. He hasn't played well in preseason. The writing may be on the wall. I'm very conflicted on what I want because I don't want Reg to have such an unceremonious end but it would be nice if he only played as a Colt..

As much as I wanted Reg to have success beyond Indy, this is what happens when players don't know when to stop. We've seen this show before, my friend. Many many times. 

Is Reggie gone from NE completely or is the article just inferring that Wayne isn't progressing in The Patriots playbook fast enough to Bill's liking? It's seems rather abrupt to release him this quickly. Reggie just landed in Foxboro basically & I've only seen him in limited Preseason action. 

I need written confirmation from NE 1st before I believe it. 

I just checked NE's official website. It only shows that Reggie Wayne was signed on 8/25/15. His release was never mentioned. See...

http://www.patriots.com/team/transactions

Is Reggie gone from NE completely or is the article just inferring that Wayne isn't progressing in The Patriots playbook fast enough to Bill's liking? It's seems rather abrupt to release him this quickly. Reggie just landed in Foxboro basically & I've only seen him in limited Preseason action. 

I need written confirmation from NE 1st before I believe it. 

I just checked NE's official website. It only shows that Reggie Wayne was signed on 8/25/15. His release was never mentioned. See...

http://www.patriots.com/team/transactions

I don't think anyone in the thread has mentioned that he "was" cut.  The speculation that he could be among the final NE cuts is what is being said .

I think Reggie probably went into this with open eyes.

I assume he wanted to give it a go to see if he could do it, and would probably realize as much as anybody did if he didn't have it anymore.

If he gets cut, I don't see him as kicking and screaming believing he should be playing.

he asked to be cut?

Exactly 12ITN18, I can't picture a world class WR like Reggie requesting that Bill cut him loose. That makes no sense to me at all. 

The only way I could remotely accept this idea is if Reggie was in practice, strained a muscle severely, & said to himself you know, my body just won't allow me to run as fast as I once did or make the cuts I used to anymore. It's time to hang up my cleats now." 

It sounds like he got 450k for 11 days of "work"....is that accurate?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000523186/article/reggie-wayne-granted-release-from-patriots

Pretty nice parting gift.

The phrase " NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reports" always makes my eyes roll. The guy is a lousy reporter, but yes PAC56, that coin for only 2 weeks is nice work if you can get it. Touche. 

I'm torn here because I love Reggie & I wanted him to retire as a lifelong Colt, but I also was very intrigued to see how OC Josh McDaniels was gonna use Reggie as a weapon in Foxboro too. I won't lie. 

I'm very surprised at this. I thought Reggie would be a nice addition for Brady once he picked up the offense. There must be more to the story.

I'm very surprised at this. I thought Reggie would be a nice addition for Brady once he picked up the offense. There must be more to the story.

Me too FE. I need to read or hear what happened in NE from both Bill & Reggie. I though Foxboro signed him as an insurance policy to offset a concern over Lefell's health or Edelman's in Foxboro. 

He asked for his release and he's going to give back the cash as far as I've seen.

I didn't know a player could just give cash back like that. Wouldn't the NFLPA be upset by this? Shouldn't they be concerned this will set a precedent of owners strong-arming their players into giving money back when they suddenly retire like this?

I didn't know a player could just give cash back like that. Wouldn't the NFLPA be upset by this? Shouldn't they be concerned this will set a precedent of owners strong-arming their players into giving money back when they suddenly retire like this?

Owners can't strong arm players to give back anything. This was just a classy gesture on Wayne's part assuming it is true. Have not seen a link yet.

I saw it speculated on roto, I've seen since that he's keeping the cash.