Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First Impressions Of Andre Johnson And Frank Gore?

RockThatBlue

Sure we haven't seen them much but we've seen enough to get an impression.

Andre looks pretty good IMO. Think he had a drop this past game but it happens and he's not known to have a drop problem other then that he's looked pretty good and will be a great target for Luck.

Frank Gore only played this last Saturday but boy he looks pretty good. He still looks fast and was busting through the holes very well.

These two players could be huge keys to winning the super bowl.

Sure we haven't seen them much but we've seen enough to get an impression.

Andre looks pretty good IMO. Think he had a drop this past game but it happens and he's not known to have a drop problem other then that he's looked pretty good and will be a great target for Luck.

Frank Gore only played this last Saturday but boy he looks pretty good. He still looks fast and was busting through the holes very well.

These two players could be huge keys to winning the super bowl.

I concur.  

When I visited TC they where doing RB drills right in front of me and from watching that I came away with the impression that Gore still has some left in the tank.  Very quick feet for a guy of his size.  

I concur.

When I visited TC they where doing RB drills right in front of me and from watching that I came away with the impression that Gore still has some left in the tank. Very quick feet for a guy of his size.

Yup. Its hard to believe he's over 30 yards old, he still runs like he's in his 20s.

Gore looks good.  Hopefully he's a 19 game Ahmad Bradshaw.

Not sure what to make of Andre yet.  I'm assuming he's going to be a possession guy, filling in for Reggie.  I don't think he's the dominant WR he was 5 years ago.  But with TY, Moncrief and Dorsett, he doesn't have to be.  Maybe for the first time in his career, he'll see a lot of single coverage?

Not sure what to make of Andre yet.  I'm assuming he's going to be a possession guy, filling in for Reggie.  I don't think he's the dominant WR he was 5 years ago.  But with TY, Moncrief and Dorsett, he doesn't have to be.  Maybe for the first time in his career, he'll see a lot of single coverage?

Yeah, possibly. It's going to be tough. Double cover the 12 year vet and get burnt by Hilton/Moncrief/Dorsett etc. Should hopefully be a good year!

They will both be amazing.

Andre will see a lot of single coverage and Gore will see 2/3rds less of 8 men in the box.

These guys should have the most fun of their careers this season.

I think they both look outstanding.  Anybody single covering Andre Johnson this year is going to get burnt on several occasions.  The guy looks huge out there and his hands are just great.  I think he still can burn you deep, if not with speed it will be using that massive catch radius.  Andre really knows how to use his body to win those one on one match ups for sure.  I really wish Moncrief would learn a thing or two from him on how to use the body effectively to gain leverage.  Moncrief really needs to get better at winning one on one matchups on the jump ball and in other areas.  He's fast but he can be neutralized some when the DB can run step for step with him.

Gore is going to be just huge for us.  He just looked like a beast back there when he got that hand off, I was so glad I didn't feel like I usually do when a Colts running back runs the ball.  Now I feel like I used to when Edge used to tote the rock.

I've said this a lot but Gore's one of those special type players who doesn't really slow down with age. He's still got IMO, 2 solid years left. He's gonna be a monster this year and we're finally gonna have a run game. With AJ yeah I agree with what a few others have said. He's going to be good but he don't have to be the man with us. He'll be a possession guy and yeah he's definitely gonna be seeing more single coverage than he has in a long time. Two excellent additions.

I just watched the Colts vs the Eagles on my DVR last night & it looks like Luck & AJ are clicking already & I have yet to watch INDY vs Chicago, but I like what I see so far in Preseason. 

Please God create holes for Gore to plow thru like a bulldozer this season. 

Pat McAfee got a workout in that 1st game. Jesus...Too many failure to convert 3rd downs to suit me, but Matthew Hasselbeck looked very solid throwing nice passes though. Yeah I know, preseason games are meaningless. 

The run blocking looks to be improved as well, besides Tipton everybody has ran pretty well behind this line. Could Gore get 1000 yards? I don't see why not

Depends on how much they lean on him in the run department.  They may want to keep him fresh for the end of the season.

Also depends on if the passing game is going.  May not want to run as much if they're going to take away the run.

Either way I think it is VERY likely that we're going to have at least two 1k yard people on offense.  2 receivers, or a back and a receiver...or more.

Depends on how much they lean on him in the run department.  They may want to keep him fresh for the end of the season.

Also depends on if the passing game is going.  May not want to run as much if they're going to take away the run.

Either way I think it is VERY likely that we're going to have at least two 1k yard people on offense.  2 receivers, or a back and a receiver...or more.

I don't think the Colts will use Gore as a work horse with the back ups we have. Let's hope he can stay fresh and healthy all season. Just his presence in the backfield should help with the passing game. One thing that some overlook is Gore's ability to block and catch the ball coming off the block. Put both Gore and Allen in as blockers and their ability to catch passes off of blocks will give most defenses nightmares.

I don't think the Colts will use Gore as a work horse with the back ups we have. Let's hope he can stay fresh and healthy all season. Just his presence in the backfield should help with the passing game. One thing that some overlook is Gore's ability to block and catch the ball coming off the block. Put both Gore and Allen in as blockers and their ability to catch passes off of blocks will give most defenses nightmares.

I read ya on Gore for blitz pickup if necessary CC1 & yes, Allen is a darn good blocker when called upon. However, if this is Dwayne's last year with us in INDY, I wanna see him catching a plethora of passes this season from Chewy because I don't trust Moncrief in 4th Qtr situations yet like I do with Allen. Donte will get there, but he's not money at this juncture. TY & AJ have proven themselves in this league. Donte still has work to do. 

Ride the ferrari man [Allen]...Throw that rock up in the air & let Dwayne cash it in the endzone man. 

AJ was unnecessary, should've just kept Reggie...

Not sure I agree. I love Reggie and he's my favorite Colt of all time but it was obvious that Wayne lost a step, he was not getting good separation anymore and injuries were starting to mount.

AJ will give us a better year than Wayne would have if we brought him back.

AJ was unnecessary, should've just kept Reggie...

AJ was absolutely necessary.. His skillset and physical ability is far beyond what Reggie would have brought the Colts. Not only that, he will keep TY and Dorsett from being double covered all the time. I hate to see it, not Reggie actually playing for NE, but I look for Reggie to have a disappointing year much like CJ did when he went there. I just don't think there's much left anymore.

Not sure I agree. I love Reggie and he's my favorite Colt of all time but it was obvious that Wayne lost a step, he was not getting good separation anymore and injuries were starting to mount.

AJ will give us a better year than Wayne would have if we brought him back.

AJ was absolutely necessary.. His skillset and physical ability is far beyond what Reggie would have brought the Colts. Not only that, he will keep TY and Dorsett from being double covered all the time. I hate to see it, not Reggie actually playing for NE, but I look for Reggie to have a disappointing year much like CJ did when he went there. I just don't think there's much left anymore.

Yeah maybe AJ is that key 3rd down possession receiver & maybe he'll come up big & have a great connection with Luck, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Reggie finish the season with more rec & yrds than AJ...

Maybe I'm just going through the stages of grief dealing with the news of Reggie signing with the pats...

Yeah maybe AJ is that key 3rd down possession receiver & maybe he'll come up big & have a great connection with Luck, but I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Reggie finish the season with more rec & yrds than AJ...

Maybe I'm just going through the stages of grief dealing with the news of Reggie signing with the pats...

I GUARANTEE Reggie won't finish with more... Completely new offense, and a minimum of 6 games against above average defenses.... I'd be surprised if he puts up half of what AJ

I hear ya but realistically Johnson is a bigger bodied version of "3-4 years ago Reggie".

Also, have you seen what AJ has done with crap QBs his whole career? I don't see how our O could flop this year...gonna be fun.