Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

TY Hilton signs new deal (Mega Merge)

TKnight24

It isn't that cut and dry. Peyton would not have had the career he has had with Marv, Reggie, DT, etc. Also, the Colts could not complete a pass to a WR or run the ball effectively against NE. That's more than just the offensive line or defense. The Colts also needed more playmakers aside from TY on offense to break down NE's great secondary. 

Why you bringing Payton in to it. We had an o-line and defense then. Take Andrew away and tell me that any of our receivers including TY will be anything but average at best! Same thing goes for NE without Brady.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fans thought we were stacked at WR in 2013 and 2014. How well did that work out?

We weren't, but a lot of that perception was off due singlehandedly to Reggie Wayne's injury and decline. If he hadn't got hurt we would've been fine. Not great, but fine. 

Without Andrew TY is a 65M bust and with Andrew the rest will all be stars. Don't believe it just put MH in at QB and see what happens. I don't think we were a TY 65M contract or Frank Gore $12M contract away from beating the Pats in that 45-7 drubbing. What you needed was an O-line and some defense!  

tell that to Donnie Avery and DHB

I don't see why we would have to give him the BIGGEST contract in NFL history, If we have to then Im alright with that of course, But if it can be avoided then it would be wise to do so. Just speculation at this point

Really doesn't make a difference.  Irsay will make sure Luck is the highest paid player in league history.  Come on now...you knew that. ;) lol

It is a bit of a misconception that the Colts did not invest on offensive line or defense in the Manning era. Check out this website: http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/colts/salaries/2007. It is sortable by year. Note that a consistent split or majority of top 10 highest paid are defense or offensive line vs. QB and offensive skill players.

I didn't say we didn't invest, I'm saying we invested substantially more in total offense than defense.

Exactly, I said championship"S"

Nvm I was being sarcastic.

And go look up how may fans we lost in the last couple minutes or seconds even due to defensive failure, completely out of control of manning. It's like half.

You are grammatically incorrect.

Megatron, Antonio, and Dez are better than TY. That's it.

Odell beckham jr, Julio jones, demaryius Thomas, AJ green, jordy Nelson, etc are all arguably better than TY off the top of my head.

I'm not saying the contract was bad but I don't think TY is a top 5 receiver in this league. Definitley top 10

you re-sign your cornerstone or foundational pieces.....Luck.....Davis....Hilton....Castonzo are foundational pieces....game changers you must account for every single snap or top pass protector in Castonzos case...Everyone else....expendable (speaking of years to come not short term like Mathis, Cole, Gore ect)....We wont be able to re-sign everybody

Yeah, except the problem is, none of those pieces got us past New England. So while it's good to retain your best players, it should never come at the expense of building the best overall team. 

Yeah, except the problem is, none of those pieces got us past New England. So while it's good to retain your best players, it should never come at the expense of building the best overall team. 

1) I'm so sick of hearing about New England. I honestly believe they need to meet us this year. I'm not worried about them at all.

2) To the bolded, it hasn't.

1) I'm so sick of hearing about New England. I honestly believe they need to meet us this year. I'm not worried about them at all.

2) To the bolded, it hasn't.

Yeah, it's not like New England has a history of beating the Colts or anything. And the last time I checked, the Colts still have serious questions on o-line and d-line. But hey, they're stacked at receiver, so none of that matters. 

With respect to point #2, it's premature to say whether the contract will undermine the team-building as a whole. There are simply too many unknowns. 

Yeah, it's not like New England has a history of beating the Colts or anything. And the last time I checked, the Colts still have serious questions on o-line and d-line. But hey, they're stacked at receiver, so none of that matters. 

With respect to point #2, it's premature to say whether the contract will undermine the team-building as a whole. There are simply too many unknowns. 

Meh. Just because the Patriots were better than the Colts in the past doesn't mean that they're better than the Colts now. Things change on a yearly basis in the NFL. Sometimes, things change on a weekly basis. Their strengths in matchups from years past are mostly nullified.

As for the "serious questions" the Colts have, I personally think the Colts are better than most everyone else does on both lines. Time will tell.

And it's not premature to say whether this contract undermines team building. It doesn't. With respect to unknowns, it is known that the Colts still have more than enough cap flexibility to maintain their core and continue to add good players through free agency and the draft. The numbers aren't hard to determine. Hilton's contract doesn't prevent the Colts from continuing to build a balanced, deep roster. The priority is good drafting.

Avery had the best season of his career his lone yr playing for the colts. DHB doesn't even count as a receiver.

Sixty catches, 781 yards and 3 TDs is hardly a "star" performance. The idea that anyone who plays receiver with Andrew Luck will be a "star" is severely mistaken.

It isn't that cut and dry. Peyton would not have had the career he has had with Marv, Reggie, DT, etc. Also, the Colts could not complete a pass to a WR or run the ball effectively against NE. That's more than just the offensive line or defense. The Colts also needed more playmakers aside from TY on offense to break down NE's great secondary.

Except New England no longer has a great secondary. What would have helped the offense the most is a legit running game.

Sixty catches, 781 yards and 3 TDs is hardly a "star" performance. The idea that anyone who plays receiver with Andrew Luck will be a "star" is severely mistaken.

Good, because I never said any of that.

I don't think anyone legitimately thinks he can make anyone a star, but he helps.....a lot. If someone said Peyton will make a receiver, while an exaggeration, I wouldn't bring up Jerome Pathon as a counter.

Without Andrew TY is a 65M bust and with Andrew the rest will all be stars. Don't believe it just put MH in at QB and see what happens. I don't think we were a TY 65M contract or Frank Gore $12M contract away from beating the Pats in that 45-7 drubbing. What you needed was an O-line and some defense!

you didn't watch the same game I did then. The ol held up fine...Andrew wasn't really harassed much at all. Our wrs didn't get separation and we failed to move the ball consistantly. This put our defense out on the field way way way too much. Heck it was still a ball game at halftime. We wore out because we didn't have the horses to sustain drives. Of course we wouldn't be great with a 40 yr old back up qb...but let's not act like when we were playing griff Whalen and DHB an injured washed up Reggie Wayne we were moving the ball against good defenses either...nicks and Avery avg receivers didn't produce for us. The only receiver on this team with luck the last 3 yrs that has remotely been successful is TY. Outside Wayne in year 1 when he was still an elite receiver our wide outs have been disappointing...AL can make players better but he isn't Tom Brady/PM/Aaron Rodgers yet. He probably will be soon someday. We need elite playmakers....NE has Gronk...Denver had several...Seattle has marshawn...GB has Nelson and Cobb....we probably aren't going to a sb without a few to help Luck along the way.

The person who brought up Donnie Avery was responding to a person who said that any receiver who plays with Andrew Luck will be a star.

I expanded on the above.

I know, but I thought he said "the rest".....as in the rest of the WR core on the current roster.

Meh. Just because the Patriots were better than the Colts in the past doesn't mean that they're better than the Colts now. Things change on a yearly basis in the NFL. Sometimes, things change on a weekly basis. Their strengths in matchups from years past are mostly nullified.

As for the "serious questions" the Colts have, I personally think the Colts are better than most everyone else does on both lines. Time will tell.

And it's not premature to say whether this contract undermines team building. It doesn't. With respect to unknowns, it is known that the Colts still have more than enough cap flexibility to maintain their core and continue to add good players through free agency and the draft. The numbers aren't hard to determine. Hilton's contract doesn't prevent the Colts from continuing to build a balanced, deep roster. The priority is good drafting.

also our team has seen most of the bigger contracts go to guys coming in from the outside to improve our team...it actually shows that we reward OUR guys too if u perform well. Davis and TY show that on both sides of the ball if you ball out and bring it each and every week we recognize your contributions to our team and will pay our OWN. TY earned a contract and so have guys like Andrew and constanzo who will be up next. It also serves to motivate guys like fleener, Allen, newsome etc that if you bring it we will recognize that.

Wide receivers are a dime-a-dozen as the game has shifted to become more pass oriented and WR's are making HUGE money. Which means more and more football players are going to want to start being WR's overall, IMO. Look at all of the good WR's that have come into the league in just the last few years alone. Pretty much unprecedented. Look at how good Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon are, yet, they don't have jobs. Why? Because the next Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon are right around the corner. True story.

We have a good core of WR talent locked up for the next few years now... AJ is the only guy who doesn't have a contract for at least 3 seasons, so I'll be floored if we go WR anywhere in the draft in the next two, (haha)

I like the deal, especially considering the fact that we get him for another cheap season.

He will be the 6th highest paid WR after next season and I think that he can prove that he's worth it.

Lol, are people really saying wrs are a dime a dozen in this thread?

I don't get it either...My mind is boggled.

They are plentiful. When I was a kid high school football was 3 yards and a cloud of dust.....now they chuck it 45 times a game and it only continues in college. I'm not big on paying receivers elite money nor drafting them high. But, that's just me.

They are plentiful. When I was a kid high school football was 3 yards and a cloud of dust.....now they chuck it 45 times a game and it only continues in college. I'm not big on paying receivers elite money nor drafting them high. But, that's just me.

They aren't as plentiful as running backs.

They aren't as plentiful as running backs.

Talented receivers far outweigh talented running backs. A lot of the backs coming out are slightly above average.....nothing special. You can put up numbers running the ball and not be that talented if you have a good Oline. Many of the receivers coming out can flat out play.

I really don't get this forum at times, the team re-signs maybe their second best player on offense and definitely their best young player on offense not named Andrew Luck to long term contract and people are upset about it.  This is what comes with having good young players sooner or later you have to pay them.  Hilton shows all the signs of being a great combo with Luck much like Marvin was with Manning.  That's a GODO thing.  Do the Colts have other good young WRs?  Sure but they are pretty much unproven outside of Johnson who is not a long term answer at WR like Hilton.  Moncrief if just a second year player who had a decent rookie season (nothing like TY's though) and then Carter and Dorset haven't even played in a game yet.  So gambling on them being long term answers and letting Hilton walk is a huge risk.  The Colts are also in a position where they really need to get some deals done before this coming off-season because of the number of high priced free agents they have.  Hilton was their top priority and frankly everyone else was going to depend on his dollar figure.  Now that's in place they can move on to the other guys they need to re-sign. 

I'm ecstatic that we'll get to see at least 3-4 years of TY/Dorsett/Moncrief all together at a reasonable price. I don't know what happens when the other two guys come up for contract, but signing TY is huge for them and for Luck. I figure we're about to embark on a sustained and unprecedented era of passing game excellence. Records are going to fall, folks

I really don't get this forum at times, the team re-signs maybe their second best player on offense and definitely their best young player on offense not named Andrew Luck to long term contract and people are upset about it.  This is what comes with having good young players sooner or later you have to pay them.  Hilton shows all the signs of being a great combo with Luck much like Marvin was with Manning.  That's a GODO thing.  Do the Colts have other good young WRs?  Sure but they are pretty much unproven outside of Johnson who is not a long term answer at WR like Hilton.  Moncrief if just a second year player who had a decent rookie season (nothing like TY's though) and then Carter and Dorset haven't even played in a game yet.  So gambling on them being long term answers and letting Hilton walk is a huge risk.  The Colts are also in a position where they really need to get some deals done before this coming off-season because of the number of high priced free agents they have.  Hilton was their top priority and frankly everyone else was going to depend on his dollar figure.  Now that's in place they can move on to the other guys they need to re-sign.

Castonzo is the 2nd best player on offense....or at least the 2nd most important.

I'm ecstatic that we'll get to see at least 3-4 years of TY/Dorsett/Moncrief all together at a reasonable price. I don't know what happens when the other two guys come up for contract, but signing TY is huge for them and for Luck. I figure we're about to embark on a sustained and unprecedented era of passing game excellence. Records are going to fall, folks

More Star Wars' numbers? Oh boy, just what Irsay wanted.......