Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manning and Luck [Mega-merge]

WoolMagnet

Its looking like manning is the collective voice of our forum.Is there anyway that we could let mr.irsay know about our thoughts/opinion on this matter?I want him to understand our feelings about it.

I have the impression he already thinks that. Seems to me I saw a tweet of his to that effect but maybe I just dreamt that

Anyhow, he is on twitter so you could tweet at him

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peyton Manning made me a football fan 6 or 7 years ago. Peyton Manning showed me how professional work looks like when it comes to preparation and execution. Peyton Manning showed me that a star does not necessarily have to have these typical contemporary downsides (is that the proper word? I am not a native speaker :dunno: ) in terms of drugs or guns or bad behaviour or whatever. And this season showed how valuable Manning really is. He should win the MVP award without having ever stepped on the field this season.

Thus, if by March 8th or - if Manning agrees to postpone the due bonus - a couple of weeks later it comes out that Manning would be ready to go as of September I would never ever replace him with Luck or even draft him. So many people are talking about dynasties and stuff but even the best quarterbacks in the world do not guarantee perennial SB trophies. And I definitely cannot understand why so many people think that only Luck can lead the Colts the next 10-15 years to the promised land. Heck, even Dan O. did a decent job given the circumstances!! When was Brady drafted? Was it round 6 at #199? Or Kurt Warner? Really do not see why there should not be another very good QB for the Colts in the draft the next couple of years.

And in the very end, it's not ALL business. Sometimes, a very few times, you need the exceptions from the business rule - no matter how many $$ Manning has earned so far.

The whole discussion will come to an end Sunday at 4pm anyway - when we "clinched" #2 pick haha

I have the impression he already thinks that. Seems to me I saw a tweet of his to that effect but maybe I just dreamt that

Anyhow, he is on twitter so you could tweet at him

I want to organize a mass tweet to mr.irsay in this regard when the deadline is near on whether we pick-up the bonus or not on manning's contract.I want a TWEET OVERLOAD.

That all will stop the moment mr.irsay trades or releases my favorite player(manning).

Hey, it's your time and money. How you choose to spend it is your business.

But Irsay and the Colts are going to do what they think gives them the best change to win in both the long and the short term. Because if the team wins, money will come. That's just how it is.

For the record, I'm not saying we release Manning if he's healthy. Just that I'm not buying this "There can be only one!" line as if we're in some bizarre Football centric Highlander movie.

For the record, I'm not saying we release Manning if he's healthy. Just that I'm not buying this "There can be only one!" line as if we're in some bizarre Football centric Highlander movie.

I prefer to think of it as Peyton Manning Beyond Thunderdome! With Andrew Luck playing the role of Master Blaster!

"Two men enter! One man leaves!"

Hey, it's your time and money. How you choose to spend it is your business.

But Irsay and the Colts are going to do what they think gives them the best change to win in both the long and the short term. Because if the team wins, money will come. That's just how it is.

Here we are...born to be king...manning is the prince of the universe!haha!I love that movie!But jaric...honestly,there's no way luck is going to sit even one year.

This huge salary he recieved was because of Irsay's grandstanding. Jim wanted to out stage the Patriots and Brady by at least matching the contract Tom got last year. Jim stated many times he would make Peyton the highest paid player in the league. Peyton even came out to the media and said before any papers were signed that he didnt need a huge contract. He tried to get Jim to back off. But, thats not the Irsay's way. So, if you want to blame anyone for the money issue, you need to take it up with the owner in this case.

At first glance people would say this is just Manning apologist talk, but looking at some of the other contracts on this team it's probably the truth. For whatever reason Irsay likes to overpay top players and hope they can carry the team, versus a team like the Patriots that refuses to pay players and just draft their replacements, focusing on a good overall team. The funny thing is Manning is actually worth the money over these other players. I would love to see this team trim some of the fat and just focus on building an overall team of good players rather than having a $19 million dollar DE and back up CBs. I think we can afford Manning and Luck and still have a good team, we just have to be smarter with other deals and quit overpaying players after they have one breakout season.

Manning, of course Luck has never led the Colts to a victory, he has one less than Paul Justin! does anyone know if the Rams are going thru this? Bradford isn't exactly mister durable, If they think Luck is on the same level and would trade the pick,then how can Luck be a once in a generation QB? maybe, I don't know how severe Peyton Mannings injury is but,if it is an age issue 35/36 is ancient for a RB not a QB how old was Kurt Warner in 2008? or Elway in 1998? I would take Andrew Luck if available but, I wouldn't implode the franchise if there was a good chance Peyton is at least 95% of his old self.

Joker.....If Luck is willing to learn under Manning (maybe even with an 'out' in his contract after 2 years)

Then you're right....its both..

But with all the vets we have....and our receivers relationship with Manning...it has to be Peyton...

That's a no-brainer

In this scenario, who has the out in their contract after 2 years? Luck or Manning?

BC is this possible

WE sign Luck but only to a two-year deal....after which HE can go free agent.

We can resign him if Manning has not return to form....OR trade him after one year if Manning is Back.

That way we still get the draft choices and are protected for next year??

What do you think?

Forget my previous question to you. I just found my answer.

The Colts will positively NEVER sign Luck to a 2 year contract. It makes less than zero sense to sign the # 1 over pick to a contract that allows him to leave after 2 years.

Its looking like manning is the collective voice of our forum.Is there anyway that we could let mr.irsay know about our thoughts/opinion on this matter?I want him to understand our feelings about it.

You started a thread at 12:30 or so. About 90 minutes later, after barely more than a dozen votes (many of them extremely ambiguous) you've decided that "Manning is the collective voice of our forum", and you're pushing for some sort of formal message.

Please stop with this.

I happen to be one of those who voted "Manning", but there are 2,376 members of this forum - not 12. You have no idea what the collective voice is. More to the point, if I happened to disagree with your position I would be furious at the thought of "the forum" trying to speak for me.

You have many options at your disposal. If you are so inclined, you could contact Jim Irsay (and other members of management) several different ways. You could go to one of those online petition sites and try to get as many people as possible to support you - and then send that to the front office. I'm sure there are other options as well. But you don't speak for me - or anyone else on this forum. Don't go there.

In my opinion,the decision is up to the coaching staff and management to make.Our job is to be happy and support the team regardless of what decisions are made.And if you don't like the decision,don't watch or go to the games.Not trying to flame,just being objective.

Look at the result of the fan's influence on the Broncos.The coaching staff wanted to stay with Orton,but the demand was so great that they decided to go with Tebow.

Tebow can be good given time,he just needs to start playing pro ball and not college.They should have kept Orton and had him work with Tebow.

Let the staff do their job and it will all work out in the end.And if it doesn't,it's not that big a deal,it's only a game.

GO COLTS!! :foam:

Typically only the first three to four rounds are starters... so we are already taking one for the bench leaving two to three psosible starters... how does that help? And with Luck's cap hit, in keeps the Colts from spending that money elsewhere..

there have been plenty of players taken in the late round or undrafted even that were great players and hofer. luck's cap hit will be 5 million. wow big hit

You started a thread at 12:30 or so. About 90 minutes later, after barely more than a dozen votes (many of them extremely ambiguous) you've decided that "Manning is the collective voice of our forum", and you're pushing for some sort of formal message.

Please stop with this.

I happen to be one of those who voted "Manning", but there are 2,376 members of this forum - not 12. You have no idea what the collective voice is. More to the point, if I happened to disagree with your position I would be furious at the thought of "the forum" trying to speak for me.

You have many options at your disposal. If you are so inclined, you could contact Jim Irsay (and other members of management) several different ways. You could go to one of those online petition sites and try to get as many people as possible to support you - and then send that to the front office. I'm sure there are other options as well. But you don't speak for me - or anyone else on this forum. Don't go there.

Ok, I think we all just need to chill out a little here. Group hug

we're all here because we are Colts fans. Except the occasional Pats fans.. ;)

:manning: without a doubt. Would be nice to be able to have Luck on the bench, but the demand from some fans/media to play the first pick and the fact that the Colts would have the worst draft (of active players) ever (we use the 1st to get a benchwarmer, so our first pick is essentially the 33. pick - one lower than after the SB win). You don't let the greatest player of all time go while he obviously still has fire in his belly! If Manning isn't progressing as planned, of course you get the best possible replacement, but nothing I have read/seen has indicated this to be the case.

I want to know the collective thought of our forum.There's no need to get into the whole they can "coexist" debate,because they can't.Its one or the other,so pick.

P.S.My pick is Manning.

First, I have never liked threads that tell someone that they're wrong if they have a certain opinion so they may as well not reply.

Second, I cannot answer your question; because there is a huge IF . . . will Peyton be able to return? And if so, will he be able to perform at the same caliber? If the answer is yes, then I would choose Peyton. If the answer is no, then I would choose Luck. But at this point, I don't think anybody has the answer making it impossible for me to choose.

I want to know the collective thought of our forum.There's no need to get into the whole they can "coexist" debate,because they can't.Its one or the other,so pick.

P.S.My pick is Manning.

Um no it's not, Irsay has been reported to say he wants both. People have run the cap numbers and say it can work for two to three years and who knows where the team will be in three years so clearly there is a both option out there and if the owner is saying that's what he wants that is likely what is going to happen if the Colts have that choice.

Still if you had to pick between an unknown rookie and a healthy (healthy being the key word) Manning, a guy who is in the running for greatest of all time you take Manning. The problem is it's not that black and white because the Colts don't know the health of Manning and if he will be the same guy he was before hand. If he's not then it shifts to Luck.

That's why I still think the Colts are going to take both and go from there and worry about the contracts in two to three years. That's a really long time in football time and for those who don't think it is look at where we were two years ago, 14-0 and resting the starters vs. this year of 2-13.

I just had a question about the whole they cant coexist situation! If we happen to draft Luck and Manning is healthy,What choice do they have but to coexist! Manning will continue to do what he does untill we trade him or he retires no matter the situation he will just do his job thats all he has to do! And Luck what is he going to do but learn and wait for his turn. I mean does anybody think he will decide not to come to the NFL cause he has to ride the bench for a few years ! Thats alot of money to turn your back on just cause of Pride thinking You should be a starter! I myself think neither wants this to happen but both understand that its out of there control! I also believe if Luck for sure didnt want to sit behind Peyton he wouldnt enter the draft! I would like to Know what Other options do they Have but to coexist if this happens honestly not telling i really would like someone to explain to me what other logical answer do they have to not coexist

There's really no controversy. Fans can argue if its a good idea to have both but the FO has already said it will happen if he's available.

Yep. I think Irsay's exact words were "If there is a good QB available, then we will take him". Something to that effect. And there is no better QB than Luck. The bigger issue is whether or not we get the first overall pick

Calm down jaric.I didn't mean to pee in your LUCKY-O'S this morning.Yes,if he's a wise owner,then he should atleast listen to what most of his fanbase tells him.

Its already known that the fan base wants Peyton Manning, there's really no question about it.

We are beating a dead horse.

That being said, i get real sick and tried of the rumor mill.. one being said.. just had someone flat out tell me Manning is going to the Redskins and Irsay is in talks with Shanahan because Manning said he doesnt want Luck in Indy.

Unless it comes out of Mannings, Polians, or Irsays mouth.. shut up! Neither has said anything about him going to the Redskins! Unless its fact.. dont pass it off as it is or you better be able to back it up!

This has clearly got to be a wind-up. No one over ten years of age would post this nonsense.

The OP has just popped up from nowhere and is making these ridiculous post it just smells so fishy. Sorry.

Those in the luck camp have alot of nerve.I find it comical that posters like yourself accuse us of basically being 'trolls',because we simply disagree with your views and opinions.I'm starting to think we have some esl learners on here(don't worry,because i work with them everyday).Once again,my thread was about manning or luck...pick one.Those that picked both clearly don't understand the thread.

First, I have never liked threads that tell someone that they're wrong if they have a certain opinion so they may as well not reply.

Second, I cannot answer your question; because there is a huge IF . . . will Peyton be able to return? And if so, will he be able to perform at the same caliber? If the answer is yes, then I would choose Peyton. If the answer is no, then I would choose Luck. But at this point, I don't think anybody has the answer making it impossible for me to choose.

Then you didn't have to reply to my thread.

Please stop with this.

Yes,i was a bit premature with that assumption,so i agree with you.I'm sorry.And...'yes'...you're right i don't speak for you or anybody else.But i do however speak for myself,family and most of my friends.

At first glance people would say this is just Manning apologist talk, but looking at some of the other contracts on this team it's probably the truth. For whatever reason Irsay likes to overpay top players and hope they can carry the team, versus a team like the Patriots that refuses to pay players and just draft their replacements, focusing on a good overall team. The funny thing is Manning is actually worth the money over these other players. I would love to see this team trim some of the fat and just focus on building an overall team of good players rather than having a $19 million dollar DE and back up CBs. I think we can afford Manning and Luck and still have a good team, we just have to be smarter with other deals and quit overpaying players after they have one breakout season.

I agree.I like dwight,but not for 19 million.We do overpay certain positions.I think mainly its positions on defense that are required for a strong cover-2,such as WSLB,SS,DE'S and NT(Whom we've yet to find).

And Luck what is he going to do but learn and wait for his turn. I mean does anybody think he will decide not to come to the NFL cause he has to ride the bench for a few years !

If Manning comes back and we are 14-0, 13-1 or 12-2 or if there are a couple of games with big leads then any back-up QB could play. So maybe he is not a starter but nevertheless he could get some valuable playing time.

I am not allowed to start a thread. This is why I would like to ask the following question:

Provided that we beat the Jags and have the #2 pick: Who is the most talented player in this draft who could fill a hole in the Colts roster (apart from QB)? I would love to see a decent Safety or Cornerback or someone who can control the O-Line. Have Safeties or Cornerbacks ever been picked such high?

So.. Mannings coming back from injury eventually? Andrew Luck will most likely be our first pick? Olivasy is a pretty decent back up QB? The team failed to win a single freaking game until the last few weeks?

Ask yourself this question... How the heck does a team self destruct from a single player being injured. Manning went down and we almost went winnless.

Luck should be given a chance, Caldwell should be fired asap, Manning should go through training to see if he can perform, if not get rid of him.

The Colts need to trade to get some good D.

darn i mean its common sense... We do the same crap every year, the coach sucks, the team itself is pretty good. Addai, Brown, Garcon Even Painter. They need some freaking management. Caldwell needs to go. Period.

You can agree with me or not This is the way to win MANNING IS NOT THE ENTIRE TEAM.

Good night and happy new year

Patrick S

ZBT

Edited by Maureen
profanity

If Manning comes back and we are 14-0, 13-1 or 12-2 or if there are a couple of games with big leads then any back-up QB could play. So maybe he is not a starter but nevertheless he could get some valuable playing time.

I am not allowed to start a thread. This is why I would like to ask the following question:

Provided that we beat the Jags and have the #2 pick: Who is the most talented player in this draft who could fill a hole in the Colts roster (apart from QB)? I would love to see a decent Safety or Cornerback or someone who can control the O-Line. Have Safeties or Cornerbacks ever been picked such high?

Signing some key Defensive players.. We have one of the worst D's in the league... We need to do some reconstruction, and new management. I just don't understand, one player goes down, and the entire team goes down..The coach should be FIRED.